• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What does he mean by conservative, in the engineering sense being conservative is having large safety factors for stuff. Does he mean that Sony over provisioned the cooling, large area, large heat sink, large fan, liquid metal.

I think he just means that it's quite a traditional build. It's conservative in that it's a tried and tested design for a console.

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, they mention exactly that in their interview that just came out today. Doing so would mean adding in two smaller fans which would shrink the console, but also increase the build cost.

Yeah, I read that, but didn't know how big an impact it would actually have. Seems like it would primarily decrease the height. Don't they need to shrink down the heat sink as well?

And presumably Sony would try to cut building costs with a slim version to better price cut the console as well.

Jul 10, 2020
Hey yall, some in here are interperting my comments as attacks. They are not.

I watched the video, commented about what he meant by conservative.

Then I said this "wouldn't help"

What I mean by that was people using DF as means of either attack or defense on the plastic box of their choice.

That's all.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Well, after watching the video now I get why a friend (who is known for being a huge fan of Xbox) shared it lol. I was like "why is he sharing PS5 analysis stuff?", but yeah it's because Richard, while surprised at a couple of things, isn't as impressed or enthusiastic as people would have expected. Which is totally fair and it's a shame some people will probably not take this video well or the other way around too. I do hope Sony sends units to outlets soon so that they can properly test the machine and share impressions with us before release.

renx

Jan 3, 2020
Haven't heard him expressing his concerns about the soldered SSD on the Series X.

Also I notice that he tends to disregard the IO complex tech and customization, and approaches the spec as "PS5 packs a fast SSD".

But I guess time and results will determine the weight and importance of each piece of tech.

He's not telling lies, and I don't have anything wrong to say about him. And they've always did a wonderful job.
He even announced the Xbox One X to the world. I know I would feel great if I'm a tech journalist and such an opportunity is given to me!

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
Haven't seen the video, but the write-up makes it clear that he means the cooling solution is not exotic. Nothing to do with manufacturing prowess.

In the video the Toyota comparison comes when he comes to the disassembly of the console after discussing the SSD. He describes the console as basic and using tried and tested methods to achieve the final product, calling it "Toyota like". People will automatically assume that because he uses the word basic that he's putting them down, this couldn't be further from the case. In product design, you want to design a product with ease of maintenance, manufacture and assembly in mind - so it really goes a long way to have a 'basic' design with fewer parts which goes together easily. This is the sort of design that Toyata championed towards the end of the last century. Fewer parts means less cost and a basic design for assembly means faster production times, both resulting in better production rates and costs per console.

EDIT: I see people discuss what he means by conservative - in this instance he means that it isn't a radical change from the conventional design of a console. If you look inside the PS4 all the same hardware elements are there - heatsink, fan, motherboard, case, power supply and so on. But through a product development process, these core items have been improved upon to refine the formula which has worked so well for them in the previous generation.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Well, after watching the video now I get why a friend (who is known for being a huge fan of Xbox) shared it lol. I was like "why is he sharing PS5 analysis stuff?", but yeah it's because Richard, while surprised at a couple of things, isn't as impressed or enthusiastic as people would have expected. Which is totally fair and it's a shame some people will probably not take this video well or the other way around too. I do hope Sony sends units to outlets soon so that they can properly test the machine and share impressions with us before release.
Have they done that before though? It just appears Sony likes a more controlled setting.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
What's the story behind people attacking DF that people are referencing in the first page?
I don't know about other places, but in the Xbox external SSD thread here people were questioning the motive of the DF video since it came out after Sony's teardown video, suggesting that DF were putting out Xbox videos to counter Sony for some reason... it is quite bizarre.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
In the video the Toyota comparison comes when he comes to the disassembly of the console after discussing the SSD. He describes the console as basic and using tried and tested methods to achieve the final product, calling it "Toyota like". People will automatically assume that because he uses the word basic that he's putting them down, this couldn't be further from the case. In product design, you want to design a product with ease of maintenance, manufacture and assembly in mind - so it really goes a long way to have a 'basic' design with fewer parts which goes together easily. This is the sort of design that Toyata championed towards the end of the last century. Fewer parts means less cost and a basic design for assembly means faster production times, both resulting in better production rates and costs per console.

Yeah, check out kanban.

Maybe when the PS5 Pro comes out John will call it a Lexus.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017

I see. The article has a slightly different tone.

"Dissipating the heat is all down to what I'd consider an almost Toyota-like philosophy - not to reinvent the wheel (in the way that Microsoft has with Series X perhaps) but to rely upon what works and to add some extra flourishes where needed."

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I watched the whole video, pretty good. He seemed to gloss over the liquid metal part of the PS5, though which is IMO the biggest innovation here - at least making it work in a practical mass-produced setting; and how that allows them to push the clocks higher.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
I don't know about other places, but in the Xbox external SSD thread here people were questioning the motive of the DF video since it came out after Sony's teardown video, suggesting that DF were putting out Xbox videos to counter Sony for some reason... it is quite bizarre.

Wait, people actually thought this? What the fuck haha

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Have they done that before though? It just appears Sony likes a more controlled setting.
Honestly I'm not sure, I just hope they do so that we can get some nice footage of BC and whatever else they can show us. If not, well then I hope Sony show us some more stuff regarding UI and games running in BC (boost mode).

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
The sports car analogy should have been a flat four that redline at 9,000 RPM, versus a V6 that redline at 6500 RPM.

The most japanese vs american car reference possible.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I appreciate the work put in by Digital Foundry here, but I still think it's a shame that they have to analyze a teardown video like the rest of us. It's mid-October. Places like Digital Foundry should have their own PS5 to tear down themselves.

Never, in the history of console launches, has hardware gone out to press this early. It's just unprecedented. It's cool that Microsoft got their system out to media so fast, but this is not how things usually go.

Jul 10, 2020
We're going to spend 20+ pages arguing about the meaning of the words conservative, Toyota like, and the differences between the written article and the video aren't we?

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
I see. The article has a slightly different tone.

"Dissipating the heat is all down to what I'd consider an almost Toyota-like philosophy - not to reinvent the wheel (in the way that Microsoft has with Series X perhaps) but to rely upon what works and to add some extra flourishes where needed."

I added an edit to my previous post, but in essence it's the same philosophy. All the core components of the mechanical design of the PS5 are the same as what you'd find in the PS4 - PlayStation haven't tried to take a massive leap in hardware design here, rather they've followed a typical produce development process and listed areas for improvement and what steps they can take to achieve better performance for this console.

So essentially, the Toyota comparison works for both aspects that we're talking about in the cooling system and the design for manufacture, maintenance and assembly aspects of the console covered in the teardown. The reason the Toyota comparison is so prevalent through the design of the PS5 as it seems to be Product Design 101 and the reason for that is that Toyota design practices largely influenced that in modern day design.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Wait, people actually thought this? What the fuck haha
Yes, or they are just trolling. Either way it's sad and makes it difficult to have any kind of meaningful discussion here as I'm sure the majority of us just want to understand the various options we have for our new pieces of tech that are coming soon.

This is the quote that started it here.
Is Digital Foundry going to cover anything PS5?

Sony just did a PS5 tear down and DF puts up an Xbox video instead. Are these paid videos by Microsoft?

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Haven't heard him expressing his concerns about the soldered SSD on the Series X.

Because it isn't soldered on the Series X. The SSD on the motherboard appears to be replaceable on the Series X.

Edit: Added image.
image-asset.jpeg

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting what he says about liquid metal. Hope we don't run into quality issues in 3-4 years.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Did they allow the PS4 to anyone like DF prior to launch?

I'm pretty sure they sent review units to media prior to launch. I don't know about DF specifically at the time.

For independent tear downs, I think you'd be waiting for after launch. I don't think anyone would, or would want to, tear down a review unit vs one they own themselves.

I'd be hopeful DF would get a review unit pre-launch, but I wouldn't expect them to tear it down!

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Pretty tempered step by step through the original video.
Seemed to skim quickly past the liquid metal part, first mass-consumer device to feature it (a highly non-conservative solution if you will). I think a section looking at PC benchmarks between thermal paste vs liquid metal would have been interesting here.
I found it weird that the longevity of liquid metal is questioned when it's known to greatly surpass thermal paste in this regard.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
They released a tear down video for the PS4 in 2013 by the same engineer that did the tear down for the PS5.

Yeah, 3 days prior to launch, similar to the Pro.

I think the point still stands though, Sony doesn't generally do "third party teardowns", and if they do it themselves, up until this generation, it's been on launch week.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Decent video but nothing new really. Took them a bit too long to produce it, expected some new insights.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Interesting what he says about liquid metal. Hope we don't run into quality issues in 3-4 years.

Liquid metal is known to corrode some other metals. Nickel plating solves that issue though. Also Sony has stated that they have been working on their liquid metal solution for more than 2 years. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Never, in the history of console launches, has hardware gone out to press this early. It's just unprecedented. It's cool that Microsoft got their system out to media so fast, but this is not how things usually go.
How people consume information through media outlets has changed, and will change, every seven years. Standards and expectations have changed.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
Well I'm part of the "alleged" attackers (not that it was my intention id my posts are to be read) but that video is pretty interesting.
Some questions i had no idea i shd ask like the heat issue on the ssd and whether or not the socket can hold both ssd and thermal dissipation addon, or how liquid metal would hold up on a millions unit produced device.
So there was definitely a lot things to unpack here. Actually even lack of information is infornation itself or deserves to be pointed out.

Great job as usual.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The one point made I wasn't quite sure on was his concern about the ssd being built on the chip and not replaceable and then bringing up the storage capacity.

Is his issue that it being on the chip could be a problem or just the overall storage size?

Because storage wise at least it allows you to add storage and not just replace it like traditional HDD upgrades would so of you brought an extra 1tb ssd it would bump you up to 1.62 tb of total space.