• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
About all I'd expect from third party devs, is maybe quicker load times and quicker streaming in of assets changing lod levels. But I expect great things from (true) exclusives.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Typical wccftech clickbait title making it look like devs are hamstrung by limitations.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I was talking with a friend this afternoon about this. PS5 is doing a PS3 in the sense that it is pushing more to revolution, while XSX is pushing for evolution. So, it looks like XSX will have the biggest market share this time, both on console and streaming.

That said, PS5 exclusives, without PC ports (which is becoming more and more unlikely), will be something to look out for.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Lol I like the XSX specs and I'm disappointed in some aspects of PS5 but I trust it won't make a massive difference. Games on both systems will look and play great. It's cool we have two different trains of thought and both have pluses and negatives.

I hope I'm wrong but overclocking everything seems like an afterthought in reaction to Microsoft's numbers. Why in the world would you spend more money on a cooling solution vs. just a better cpu gpu?

Last edited:

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Variable frequencies sounds like such a horrible, horrible idea. I don't give the slightest fucks about 3D audio. Not even a little, so them investing so strongly in that instead of say, more CU's for ray tracing is insane to me. Like WTF, Sony?

And having a cooling solution that could sustain those frequencies? Sure, that'd be neat. But having the GPU power vary based on the frequency means the PS5 isn't even a 10.28 tflops machine, that number will go down depending on how much the frequency goes down. He didn't mention how low it'll go, which honestly worries me.

I'm absolutely sure that lower tflops with higher frequencies are more efficient. The problem is, these higher frequencies aren't "locked in".

So let's have a little thought experiment... The GPU on the PS5 runs mostly on a 2.23 GHz frequency. Let's bring it down 4 %... We're now at 2.14 Ghz, which would give us roughly ~9.9 tflops... And who the fuck knows how low it'll go?!

I completely agree with John. Give me stable frequencies any day of the week over this crap. I still want to see how the real world performance does against a stable 12.1 tflops machine running at 1.825 GHz, but there is no doubt in my mind the Series X is on top, ultra-fast SSD be damned.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
I posted this in another thread, but do people think Microsoft is sort of holding back next gen a bit this time? Weaker lockhart seems to be coming, and a weaker ssd. Also, no real focus towards improving audio from the looks.
If anything id honestly say that sony went wayyy overboard on their SSD. There reallt was no need for them to make it as fast as they did when 3rd parties wont even be able to take advantage of it.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was talking with a friend this afternoon about this. PS5 is doing a PS3 in the sense that it is pushing more to revolution, while XSX is pushing for evolution. So, it looks like XSX will have the biggest market share this time, both on console and streaming.

That said, PS5 exclusives, without PC ports (which is becoming more and more unlikely), will be something to look out for.
every-word-of-what-you-just-said-was-wrong.gif

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
At this point, it's pretty clear that if you want the optimum 3rd party experience as well as BC compatibility with 100% of Xbox One games (specially relevant for people with Game Pass sub), XSX is the way to go.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Variable frequencies sounds like such a horrible, horrible idea. I don't give the slightest fucks about 3D audio. Not even a little, so them investing so strongly in that instead of say, more CU's for ray tracing is insane to me. Like WTF, Sony?

And having a cooling solution that could sustain those frequencies? Sure, that'd be neat. But having the GPU power vary based on the frequency means the PS5 isn't even a 10.28 tflops machine, that number will go down depending on how much the frequency goes down. He didn't mention how low it'll go, which honestly worries me.

I'm absolutely sure that lower tflops with higher frequencies are more efficient. The problem is, these higher frequencies aren't "locked in".

So let's have a little thought experiment... The GPU on the PS5 runs mostly on a 2.23 GHz frequency. Let's bring it down 4 %... We're now at 2.14 Ghz, which would give us roughly ~9.9 tflops... And who the fuck knows how low it'll go?!

I completely agree with John. Give me stable frequencies any day of the week over this crap. I still want to see how the real world performance does against a stable 12.1 tflops machine running at 1.825 GHz, but there is no doubt in my mind the Series X is on top, ultra-fast SSD be damned.
lol you sound so angry

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in another thread, but do people think Microsoft is sort of holding back next gen a bit this time? Weaker lockhart seems to be coming, and a weaker ssd. Also, no real focus towards improving audio from the looks.

microsoft is doing RT audio and things like project acoustics / triton / etc

they're actually going crazy

also Lockhart is an absolute non-factor. meaning it could handle pretty much anything you throw at PS5 @ 4K just at 1080p

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Sony wouldn't have put in brackets "variable frequency" if it wasn't the case.
From a marketing perspective touting a two digits number (10.2) is better than just one (9.2).

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
He didn't mention how low it'll go, which honestly worries me.

according to Cerny we're talking about "a couple"; so interpreting this is a max 5% delta in fequencies sounds reasonable.

The question is, what happens when the processor does hit its power limit and components down-clock? In his presentation, Mark Cerny freely admits that CPU and GPU won't always be running at 3.5GHz and 2.23GHz respectively.

"When that worst case game arrives, it will run at a lower clock speed. But not too much lower, to reduce power by 10 per cent it only takes a couple of percent reduction in frequency, so I'd expect any downclocking to be pretty minor," he explains.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking that the SSD was going to be the difference maker for third party games was always stupid. Sony used their own proprietary flash chipset to increase throughput. This means that devs would need to design their games to take advantage of it. Even when Jason said that devs were super pumped about it, everyone should've read between the lines and realize that this wasn't going to be the case for the majority of games being developed. Devs will always prefer more resources at their disposal than something specific that they have to work with. More resources gives devs more slack space and more room for optimization and error. Having a faster SSD through a higher throughput doesn't mean anything if the devs have to work around limited resources and design the throughput by modifying the access of the chipset.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So XSX will be my gamepass and multiplatform machine while PS5 will be for exclusives. I'm....ok with that.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Just to be clear before I get dog piled, I am in no way stating that PS5 is significantly weaker or a sub-10TF console. I hate console warrior BS. Numbers are what they are and they don't take sides even though the real world impact may be actually even less.

And for me, it's also about BC. Sony's messaging has left a lot to be desired pertaining to this matter (given this was a GDC conference, and not exactly meant for mainstream consumers, it's understandable).

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Even third party developers this gen have shown to individually optimize for each console so I seriously doubt that they won't take advantage of the SSD's capabilities.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
About all I'd expect from third party devs, is maybe quicker load times and quicker streaming in of assets changing lod levels. But I expect great things from (true) exclusives.
It will eventually be more than that. 3rd party's common base will be XBO for some time still but once they'll go to next gen basis we'll see a lot of cool stuff being done in both graphics and game design thanks to the SSDs.
PS5's SSD advantage though will likely be close to invisible in multiplatforms and questionable in exclusives.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The gloom in here vs the tangible praise and excitement from developers who are actually using the thing couldn't be farther apart 😄

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Until devs come out and state they can ramp up faster and easier then PS4 days, then everything is all talk. Again, as I said, time will be the answer as things progress.

Did we ever hear that the time to triangle on ps4 cerny claimed was inaccurate? If ps4 was indeed 1 to 2 months why would we not believe the 1month or less claim of the ps5?

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Sounds like an answer to a question I had everyone ignored. Probably because everyone has me on their IGNORE list lol. 😂
But I guess mine was more in-line with the ssd differences

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Sony dropped the ball this time.
Maybe, maybe not. It really depends on how difficult it is to implement these changes. Mark Cerny was talking like development in general on the console will be a cakewalk, but then again he's slightly biased towards his platform for obvious reasons. Time will tell. It's going to be an interesting generation.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
lol you sound so angry
I'd say disappointed. I much prefer MS's approach to their console design. I just can't wrap my head around why'd they do go with a solution like this. I don't think they're as close as insiders and journalists led us to believe.

It seems MS's really caught them off-guard, and they were scrambling for a solution to up the clocks so they could increase performance. This solution just seems like a disaster and so half-baked. It's definitely different, but I don't know if that's a good thing.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yeah, like devs won't want to use every possible means of expanding their games. We'll see enhancement patches that boost games appropriately for next-gen consoles. Imagine Ubisoft's AC Vikings game with 5.5GB/sec pipelines available.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
even if it is just 1st party

Sony's first party output wasn't only just technically great this gen but they gave us a ton of games to boot

so that imho is great just to see what WWS does with it alone

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Yeah, that's what I've said (with others) in other threads. No point for devs doing multiplats to waste time on that.

Same reason that on paper, PS3 multiplats could have been better. But why do that when you're doing a multiplatform game. Exclusives should be pretty impressive in the same way though.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
The gloom in here vs the tangible praise and excitement from developers who are actually using the thing couldn't be farther apart 😄
Oh. I would like to be wrong in so many ways. Because I do want games to be built around what PS5 is proposing on the SSD and 3D audio. It looks more exciting and better for me as a player.
I just don't believe the majority of devs will receive a green light to do extra work for PlayStation. Then again, devs are doing extra for Stadia, so fingers crossed.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
something i'm unsure about: games have become incredibly scalable, right? resolution, loading times, draw distance, textures, pretty much everything - like, a lot of people actually love the Witcher 3 on the Switch!

literally building a game around the things that make the PS5's SSD unique might be impossible if you're going multiplatform, but it seems to me this is an element that's open to scalability, too, such that you may very well still see some neat differences on the PS5 vs. other systems (beyond load times, I mean)

also, even keeping in mind the scalability mentioned above, first parties have typically done a better job getting "the most" out of a console's feature set anyway, this isn't totally foreign territory here
There is a certain point where the whole scalability argument falls flat on it face. Sure, your traditional loading screen load times will just simply scale between hardware. But when game devs have to design their environments in a manner that masks data streaming time like how there are those choke points in Jedi: Fallen Order etc, that is fundamental game design that has to account for the lowest common denominator platform's data access speed. If you only need to worry about your game running off of a high speed SSD without having to worry about also supporting data streaming from a 5400 RPM laptop mechanical hard drive, it will change the way you can approach game design.
People keep saying slightly faster loading times seems to be missing everything else the ssd enables.

How about we hear from actual devs
It's such a dumb argument and every time I hear some PC gamer saying "welcome to 2013, console gamerz! hur dur dur" in regards to SSDs they completely miss the point.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused. How is what's being described any different from how something like the Switch works? That too has multiple speeds the developer gets to choose from.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say disappointed. I much prefer MS's approach to their console design. I just can't wrap my head around why'd they do go with a solution like this. I don't think they're as close as insiders and journalists led us to believe.

It seems MS's really caught them off-guard, and they were scrambling for a solution to up the clocks so they could increase performance. This solution just seems like a disaster and so half-baked. It's definitely different, but I don't know if that's a good thing.
Then buy an xbox and calm down.

Cerny illustrated his reasons pretty well in the video. The variable frequency explanation seemed to be an extension of AMD's SmartShift technology. If a scene doesn't require much CPU power it can send that juice to the GPU or vice versa. It also keeps power at a constant maximum that can be throttled down, so we should not experience the jet engine ala ps4 because the cooler is designed for the max the ps5 can output. Ambient temps should not affect performance.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And the CPU/GPU/RAM is weaker on the PS5. And your take is that the XSX is somewhat weaker overall? WTF?

The ram isn't necessarily weaker on the PS5, infact, similar to the point being discussed in the OP, the XSX ram set up is a little more complex. If devs require more than 10GB for the graphics side of things, they'll have to use a partial amount of the slower GDDR6 ram, something devs won't have to worry about with the PS5.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Would it not translate to ps5 open world games having greater LOD, less pop ups and generally being able to stream in assets twice as fast?

you could have greater textures and lod as you know when moving scenes the drive is fast enough to stream in the next assets?

I can't imagine either of these consoles having a problem with pop-in or LoDs.

I'm really intrigued to see how Sony's first party takes advantage of its insane SSD speeds beyond pop-in and LoDs... because my feeble brain can't wrap my head around the possibilities.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Both parts of this title are blindingly obvious. The first part is also a total "so what?" As if developers don't make choices of this type constantly.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't understand why Sony went with this design decision probably to keep the price low. I suspect the inevitable PS5 Pro will have far less comprimises.

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I'm confused. How is what's being described any different from how something like the Switch works? That too has multiple speeds the developer gets to choose from.
Switch has two modes so two different fixed clock speeds.

nintendo-switch-clock-speeds.png

PS5 is said to have variable clock speeds but the range of variation hasnt been specified, just the maximum.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
How some of you can negatively spin or perceive the advances and custom hw tricks is beyond me.

But if some want to just be ignorant and pretend things are bad then you can stay in that bubble.

When you start seeing the games then I'm not so sure some will come back with any of the over reactions.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Is it a negative or..?

I hate this stage of console reveals. None of this shit makes any sense to me and as someone who buys consoles... this is the stuff I buy a console to avoid.

This sounds bad, but some people seem to think it means 1st party games will REALLY get a boost and then everything else will just be... normal?