• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of funny Sony are preventing people from stacking and locking themselves in to the service. Good guy Sony.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The bare minimum. The fact that both psx and psp games have the same options for filters and aspect ratio (it seems that psx has one more in this case) is curious to say the least.
I disagree that this is the bare minimum they could've done. PS1 Classics on PS3 was bare minimum, straight 240p with an optional blur filter and no other features, lol. It was pretty much the same with the PS1 Classic Console IIrc, except you got PAL releases in all regions too (I really hope they don't do that again here, but who knows at this point). This actually offers improved resolution, save states, rewind, Trophies, etc. I honestly didn't even expect to get any of that, frankly. They actually went beyond my expectations for this, which were extremely low, admittedly (I basically was just expecting what we got on PS3 and the PS1 Classic, lol). Obviously there is a lot of room for improvement, but it absolutely could've been worse or had less features, although admittedly the PAL stuff is baffling at this point.

Yes in the PS3 era you got the version that was appropriate for your region. However in Europe we did get a handful of NTSC titles which were specifically sold as being the US versions, like Resident Evil 2 and 3.
While that is true, that was a long time ago now, and the PS Classic did have PAL releases in every region. So we'll just have to wait and see. :/
I'm just not going to notice this stuff tbh. The fact I can can play syphon filter at 1440p with trophies and save states and rewind is like a million times better than I thought we were going to get from Sony. After the terrible playstation mini I was honestly expecting native bare bones releases
Yup, same. This actually exceeded my expectations, lol. Frankly, before this was announced, I honestly expected to never see PS1 games released on a modern PlayStation ever again.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
Looks as if they have some work to do. It appears more people appreciate and wanted backwards compatibility than Jim Ryan initially thought and publicly stated.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
ezgif-4-8d3ea6ef78.gif

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
While that is true, that was a long time ago now, and the PS Classic did have PAL releases in every region. So we'll just have to wait and see. :/

The PS Classic isn't the best comparison to use for this because that was something they actually had to sell world wide so there could very well have been more complications with how the game selection had to be made there (there were only two variants of it made with one for Japan (and a few other Asian regions) and one for the rest of the world). There was even speculation that they may have specifically picked PAL versions because they performed closer to their target frame rates with the bad emulator they used in the system, which is definitely not going to be the case with this new emulator.

I think it would be extremely surprising if once this launches in Japan and America that they get the PAL versions and not their original NTSC versions (see the reasons I explained in another thread for detail on what evidence exists that I think suggests this will be the case).

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like they weren't nearly harsh enough on the emulation being this is an expensive service you have to pay for to acquire, since not all games are available to be bought separately. The psp literally just having the same options for scaling as the ps1 because they did a 1 size fits all emulator is hilarious, along with them adding EXTRA WORK frameblending instead of just uploading the NTSC roms as options.

Also the PS2 emulation needs its own video, he skimmed over the whole thing and actually feel like he was constrained for time, the jak games you get are just the PS2 on PS4 games from that failed initiative years ago. The Jak games in particular were worse than the ps3 versions and worse than the ps2 versions which he did sorta mention, but he could've added that we know what ps2 games are coming to the NA service and what problems that might entail. Games like The Warriors and Okage shadow king have severe graphical glitches that never got fixed along with some other games, so simply having a PS5 you are getting a broken product that you paid for.

The service IS launched, it's all here, now it's just a waiting game for them to justify having to pay for it. Who knows what if any issues will be fixed by next month when it's rolled out to the rest of the world.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
Why not just hire people behind the third party emulators that actually work well or license them? Or provide the ntcs Versions?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just going to copy/paste the comment I left on SIFTD for this.

All I can say is hopefully Sony gets their act together with the emulation quality for this by the time it comes to the West.

I know Xbox set a high bar with their BC program, but I remember back when it launched it was pretty... subpar. Lots of games ran worse than they did on Xbox 360 and that didn't get better for a while. There weren't really any "enhancements" until the Xbox One X launched 2 years after BC became a thing on Xbox, either (other than like forced V-sync and some better AF). Also... they've had now going on 7 years to work on it, and 5 since they started "enhancing" games with higher resolutions and framerates.

So... this sucks, and there are some bizarre things going on here with some of the PS1 emulation, but I don't think they can't come back from this. Here's hoping they do, too.

I think it'll be interesting to see how much work Playstation dedicates to this and how much money they invest in making it better.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The PS Classic isn't the best comparison to use for this because that was something they actually had to sell world wide so there could very well have been more complications with how the game selection had to be made there (there were only two variants of it made with one for Japan (and a few other Asian regions) and one for the rest of the world). There was even speculation that they may have specifically picked PAL versions because they performed closer to their target frame rates with the bad emulator they used in the system, which is definitely not going to be the case with this new emulator.

I think it would be extremely surprising if once this launches in Japan and America that they get the PAL versions and not their original NTSC versions (see the reasons I explained in another thread for detail on what evidence exists that I think suggests this will be the case).
I very much hope you are right on this. Your reasoning makes sense, so it could be the PS Classic Console was just a weird one off thing with having PAL titles in NTSC territories. We'll see soon, but here's hoping.

I think it'll be interesting to see how much work Playstation dedicates to this and how much money they invest in making it better.
Yeah, there is the possibility things could improve as well. Xbox BC had many improvements over time (there weren't even any enhanced titles prior to X1X IIrc), and more recently, Nintendo greatly improved their N64 NSO offering and emulation, so Sony certainly could do the same. Whether or not they will is the big question at the moment. After all, we have PS2 titles included in this service at launch that are outright broken on PS5, and have been for nearly two years now. As I have said before, I think a lot of this comes down to how invested Sony will be in the Classic games, and the PS+ Premium Tier's success, especially long-term.

SoloTerran

Jun 29, 2018
It's clear that the emulation is less than ideal. But damn... the selection of classic games is abysmal. Why isn't there more?

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Only Sony knows why they would expect people to be willing to pay the most money for a lousy selection of classic games running on a crappy emulator.

Lol, why even bother?

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I was going to go all on in this service but with all the bullshit so far uh... Yeah me and my Odin are good...

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
Sony begins to look like that PS3 era Sony that was arrogant and took wrong decisions. And with wrong leadership.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
This is what I don't understand. Just use the NTSC roms. How hard is that?
Same thing with the Playstation Classic. Feels like they just have some intern with an old thumbdrive of roms he downloaded off Napster years ago who they're relying on for all their legacy efforts. 😕

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
The reality is it's not a PS Plus revamp. It's a disguised price hike for PS Now. That's all Plus Premium is. PS Now at a higher price that includes PS Plus whether you want it or not.

I do wonder how many people there were who subscribed to PS Now but not PS+. It must be quite a small number if Sony felt it was worth fucking them over to launch this new thing... and I haven't really seen much pushback to this specific element of the service.

But you're right, it does seem to be an amalgamation of the two services, with some half-arsed emulation thrown on top to give it something new.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
For me personally if they just had done NTSC versions I would be fine with what we got since I don't really play around with alternate modes, filters, etc. The combination of the issues with those as well as PAL versions just makes it so no one is happy with these.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Why isn't Sony simply putting the NTSC versions up instead of the PAL ones (or both, like Nintendo on NSO), but implementing an issues causing 60hz patch? I don't get it.
Because the whole world doesn't speak English I presume.

I wonder if there even might be issues surrounding ratings - if you are selling a videogame, they have to be rated by PEGI or whoever in europe, there may be concessions for games already rated under BBFC or other local content rating agencies, but releasing a different version of the game may cause issues?

I guess we will have to wait for it to release in places closer to home, the listings may be controlled differently.

Oct 28, 2017
Sony begins to look like that PS3 era Sony that was arrogant and took wrong decisions. And with wrong leadership.
PS3 era Sony was goddamn amazing. PS3 era Sony was the most pro consumer they've ever been, and created so much value. They were innovative and creative in the right ways. I'd give anything to have PS3 era Sony back.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
It is so crazy that Sony have a software emulator implemented on the PS3 that is close to perfect but this is such a mess.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
I suspect the 1440p is a result of doing pixel doubling for scaling and it being cleanly voided by the original rendering resolution.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Ps2 had hardware backwards compatibility via the sound chip (spu2).

The PS2 cpu and PS1 cpu were both used for sound in PS2 games (SPU1+SPU2) which is why the switch to deckard later broke some PS2 games.

Also the R3000A was used as an IOP so it's not quite right to say it is just a sound chip.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
The PS2 cpu and PS1 cpu were both used for sound in PS2 games (SPU1+SPU2) which is why the switch to deckard later broke some PS2 games.

Also the R3000A was used as an IOP so it's not quite right to say it is just a sound chip.

Yeah I was doing more reading and it seems like all models from SCPH-75000 don't have hardware emulation (or at least not as good). If only digital foundry existed in ps2 times it would be easier to fully confirm.

In any event I stand partially corrected.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Another great vid from DF. So many weird design choices from Sony on these games... I still cant get on board with using PAL versions of games, and now they are introducing weird ghosting to them... I do hope they eventually fix these, but I wont hold my breath.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
The PAL version of Ape Escape was mono language (like many games with localized dub). The PAL version on PS4/PS5 is only in English so there is no reason to bother with the PAL version anyway... and the new "patch fix" is beyond awful. They really have no clue about any of this...

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The "improvements" are absolutely awful. How Sony is fucking up so much with this, I have no clue.

I read the first part and I was Ok they corrcetd some stuff at least then I read the rest...
I really don't know what their technicians are doing while the third party emulators are doing wonders. Why don't they buy them and end the story and suffering.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Jus wondering. Dark1x said that Jak And Dxater received some small resolution boots on PS5. I have the game since the PS4 days. If I donwload it now does that mean I get the same treatement or this is exclusive to the version from PS Plus Premium?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
One thing that sucks is that Ape Escape PAL had a UK dub that's far more nostalgic for us so even if we get NTSC releases too it's gonna suck missing out on that lol.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I just want the original resolution with CRT-Royale 🥺
It's baffling how behind the curve all the official retro releases are, when it comes to CRT filter adoption. I can't think of one offical retro re-relase that features a good CRT filter. Even the Capcom Arcade which is probably the best of all official releases when it comes to this, still only has curvature with scanlines, but no other CRT effects like RGB grid, phosphor bloom etc.

Jus wondering. Dark1x said that Jak And Dxater received some small resolution boots on PS5. I have the game since the PS4 days. If I donwload it now does that mean I get the same treatement or this is exclusive to the version from PS Plus Premium?
What you can download now is the same thing that subscribers will get when it comes to PS2 games. PS2 games emulated on PS4 always got some resolution bump through a technique Sony called "Uprendering" which is something half-way between simple upscaling, and true rendering in higher resolution. It's a weird technique that's not quite as good as true higher resolution rendering in terms of image sharpness, but it's guaranteed to not have rendering issues with any game IIRC. I'm not sure but it's possible that these games did have a bit better resolution on PS4 Pro (and PS5) than they did on original PS4. Also, I'm pretty sure they did benefit from the performance boost afforded by PS4 Pro and PS5.

Last edited:

Well, it's definitely helpful to know that Xbox wasn't always as good as they are now in the backwards compatible departmen. I believe Nintendo was the same. Like everyone gotta start somewhere, right?

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
And yet the emulators they're using now are having problems that never showed up in the past so I really just don't understand it honestly
What problems is PSP emulator showing that it didn't have before (especially since only one game was 'tested')?
If you are referring to the mixed-up menu-options, those could well behave exactly the same with the original PSP emulator - it's just options that scale the output (ie. not part of the emulation backend).
The only issue PS1 has (so far, no one reported anything else) is mishandling of PAL content - but that's again less an emulation issue and more someone not understanding video-output (they really should just allow PS4/5 to output 50hz games like PS3/PSP did, which would side-step the entire problem).

Frankly the real disappointment is that PS2 offering hasn't been updated in any way.