• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The camera angles there are terrible for saying "this is RT or this is not RT" - the dash camera though was a render to texture reflection - which makes sense since it is coming from a camera on the back of the car in real life.

I would need more footage from in game gameplay to say whether RT was in play there or not.
Honestly, all I care about is that the framerate is locked at 60fps when playing. No RT in gameplay or replays with RT but 30fps etc, I would be fine with that as long as it never goes below 60fps in a race.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Ratchet's ray-traced floors on the city was great.

But man...

Why does the city has to be on alien/monster invasion again, lol...

I personally want to explore it calmly, talk to NPCs, buying items from shops, etc.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
You weren't pointing it out, you were accusing them for being misleading. Tall talk.

Ok, now this made me look up 'disingenuous' which I reckon I should have done earlier.
Ouch.

I'm sorry.

I swear to God the word I wanted to use was actually INGENUOUS. Like, rather the opposite.
I would never accuse DF of being misleading or false.
English is not my first language and I just thought I knew what the word meant. Pretty huge mistake.

Sorry for quoting you again but i need to apologize. Sorry, sorry, sorry.
Like I wrote above, I realised the word I was looking for was actually 'ingenuous'.
Candid, innocent if you prefer.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet's ray-traced floors on the city was great.

But man...

Why does the city has to be on alien/monster invasion again, lol...

I personally want to explore it calmly, talk to NPCs, buying items from shops, etc.

They dabbled a bit with that in Future trilogy (particularly ACiT). This will be the first all new R&C game since ACiT/Nexus so I'm hoping that they will continue to evolve the formula the way that those games did.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe DF is still being so disingenuous about Gran Turismo, and even talking about 4k60fps when there was absolutely no trace of RT ingame, or even the car selection screen perhaps outside of shadows/occlusion.
Basically nowhere outside of the cinematic which, as is the case with all PD trailers before it, is probably rendered with photomode fidelity frame by frame.
People judge by what they're given.

But you're right, there doesn't seem to be any/much ray tracing in their gameplay demo.

VMsrIuw.gif

The car in front is clearly not reflecting your car.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Why are developers still using checkboarding if RDNA2 has a secret dlss 2.0 alternative that theyre not allowed to talk about?
The same reason Metro Exodus uses checkerboarding for global illumination on high, despite being a DLSS game.

DLSS is a technique for taking the *final* frame and upscaling it (using motion vectors and other gubbins).

While you could use AI to take the result of the raytracing and denoise/upscale it before rendering it into the scene, that wouldn't be DLSS.

Using checkerboarding in combination with ray tracing to get more performance with limited ray casting ability makes perfect sense. Which is why Metro used it, and why we're seeing it here.

I can't believe DF is still being so disingenuous about Gran Turismo, and even talking about 4k60fps when there was absolutely no trace of RT ingame, or even the car selection screen perhaps outside of shadows/occlusion.
Basically nowhere outside of the cinematic which, as is the case with all PD trailers before it, is probably rendered with photomode fidelity frame by frame.
It'd be very weird for there to be all these performance tweaks if that's the case. Why use limited ray counts and checkerboarding, etc, if this is photo mode stuff? No reason not to ray trace at the full resolution if you aren't worried about having the next frame ready in 1/60th of a second or whatever.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but it's only one out of six games. Was hoping for a different outcome but I knew this would happen (mostly 30fps games with a focus on graphics).
Souls has a performance mode. There's hope more games will, but nothing's been stated. So much power being used on 4k would be an absolute waste. 1440p 60 modes, please.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
We still don't know what AMD's hardware based RT solution is like.

And I'm curious how many of these are software based/compute based solution like the Cry Engine demo rather than being hardware accelerated. It had some quite obvious and aggressive optimisation techniques like you see in the PSV videos.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Somehow I hope we'll get the option to turn off RT in favor of FPS, I would always prefer 60 FPS on a racing game rather than 30 FPS+ RT. I also don't think we'll see RT, 4K (native) and 60 FPS in gameplay for GT7.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Somehow I hope we'll get the option to turn off RT in favor of FPS, I would always prefer 60 FPS on a racing game rather than 30 FPS+ RT. I also don't think we'll see RT, 4K (native) and 60 FPS in gameplay for GT7.
gt7 100% will be at least 60fps (I see posibility of lower resolution 120fps mode also)

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

But you're right, there doesn't seem to be any/much ray tracing in their gameplay demo.

VMsrIuw.gif

Looking at the 4K version of that offline, it is really hard to see what is going on due to the car movement. Really hard to see the reflections let alone if self-reflection is occuring. But one thing that can be seen later in the trailer is that a car far ahead of the player is not using RT (could just be cube maps), or at least RT which does not run every frame (another possible optimation, stagger RT update for things at a distance). The reflection on the car here updates about 1 time every 30 frames. Footage slowed down to 25%.

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
If GTS is 1800p/60FPS on Pro, the PS5 won't have any problem to handle GT7 with or without RT.
But I am not sure about what RT could bring in gameplay sequence visually.

EDIT : I should have said RT reflections. I think RT GI could had a lot too the visuals.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

If it is a toggle then the devs still have to take the time and effort to program in an alternative system for reflections, GI, etc. Doesn't sound very efficient.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017

Absolutely, what i meant is DF is being INGENUOUS, candid, innocent analyzing those RT reflections as they were going to be the same ingame.
I'm just skeptical, but then what the game currently looks like isn't really representative either, if GTS transformation in the last few months of development is an indication.

It'd be very weird for there to be all these performance tweaks if that's the case. Why use limited ray counts and checkerboarding, etc, if this is photo mode stuff? No reason not to ray trace at the full resolution if you aren't worried about having the next frame ready in 1/60th of a second or whatever.

Yeah, then there's this, which is also true.
Basically i'd be very surprised if these consoles could use RT to that extent in a 60fps racing game, but I sure as hell won't complain if they can pull it off.
I just grew distrustful i guess. Oh, which is not to say GT7 won't be the best looking racer anywhere on release, because that it will surely be.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Gt7 pretty much answers how Lockhart will handle RT too. They are using 1/8 res RT buffers (from half 1080p checkerboard to 1080p and then upscaled to 4k), plus other tricks as handling the the surfaces closer to a perfect mirror (which requires less rays) and then making the result a bit rougher.

This coupled with another future tricks such as using sampler feedback and vrs inside the RT buffers I think it will enable console games to reach high resolution and framerates by making compromises that soon won't be needed on pcs.

In short, like other effects there's tons to play with regarding RT that allows to use the effect without degrading the visuals by that much.

Gonna be a really interesting generation.
Very Very Quick Summary. They are pretty suprised that Sony had so many games utilizing Ray Tracing so soon. It is still a relatively new tool and they thought it may take more time to implement, or developers would simply fake it like they have in the past at launch.

There were 6 games at the Playstation Showcase that showed Ray Tracing, and DF was impressed by their implementation.

Gran Turismo 7
Pragmata
Ratchet and Clank
Stray
Marvel's Spider-Man Miles Morales
Demon Souls
Did they say anything about Godfall? Looked like RT reflections in the announcement trailer but on the conference feed it looked more like screen space (though I didn't watch the full trailer afterwards)

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
If Ratchet and Clank won't have 60fps mode that's laughable
Insomniac gave up on 60FPS targets after A crack in time...saying they don't think it sells more copies.
Though that was before majority of top 10 most played games became 60FPS games.

If they didn't do 60FPS for pro version of 2016 R&C then they won't do it here either.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting to see what kind of tricks developers employ and what kind of corners they cut to squeeze out as much performance as possible.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017

While I'm very happy about RT becoming more widely used, I agree.

I hope every game has a graphics or performance option next gen. That way everyone is happy.

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
Just finished watching this. Some of the explanations are over my head but any time Alex talks about ray tracing I'm super interested. I love learning about the tech and some of the finer details. I'm most interested in what it means for global illumination.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

VMsrIuw.gif

Shame to still see minor pop-out in the rear view mirror. And the tunnel lights pop in as well. Hopefully they can address this before release.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Considering how new RT tech is, its good to see Sony jumping in, even if the tech means they have to make some intelligent concessions to get it running well without impacting IQ and FPS too much.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to see the different implementations and occasional shortcomings. I think it'll be a while until devs figure out which versions are the most worthwhile.

Shame to still see minor pop-out in the rear view mirror. And the tunnel lights pop in as well. Hopefully they can address this before release.
I'm guessing the rearview mirror isn't raytraced? If it's done the classic way it's usually bound to have more pop-in (or pop-out I guess)

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
fantastic video! real excited for the potential of raytracing next-gen. really has the power to transform things and give added life to old games too

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, I notice quite a bit of pop in for the GT7 footage, which is disappointing. Hopefully that gets brushed up. Seem pretty much a non issue in the other games on show from Sony.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We still don't know what AMD's hardware based RT solution is like.

And I'm curious how many of these are software based/compute based solution like the Cry Engine demo rather than being hardware accelerated. It had some quite obvious and aggressive optimisation techniques like you see in the PSV videos.

I'd say none. the Cryengine demo was just a graphics demo with nothing else going on. since it's not available in games yet, we can't tell how well it works in an actual game. and even then, they said it will be hardware accelerated in the future

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Compared to the expectations of this gen just a year ago, the new consoles are blowing away my expectations of what they can do. This is just from some early games with limited time with the tech. By 2022, I expect some awesome uses coming from these cards. I also hope that a lot of these devs turn give us options for a 1440p 60fps mode because i would take that anyday. 1440p is more than good enough for me especially if they are using reconstruction

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What I'd love is a little table so that we can discuss "native" resolution in every game! It would make internet wars so much more fun!

Main polygonal models (Static) - 4k, checkerboard, upscaled
Main polygonal models (moving) - as above
Global illumination - static, RT, RT checkerboard, RT@1080p, other
Self shadowing - none, RT, RT checkerboard, RT@1080p, other
Shadow fall off - none, RT, RT checkerboard, RT@1080p , "fake" using the example in the video of "fog" overlaid in layers, across the surface
Roughness cut off for switching between RT and SSR - none, high, medium, low

Comparing XSX versus PSV port of a game in a console war is going to get really complicated!

May 7, 2020
What I'd love is a little table so that we can discuss "native" resolution in every game! It would make internet wars so much more fun!

Main polygonal models (Static) - 4k, checkerboard, upscaled
Main polygonal models (moving) - as above
Global illumination - static, RT, RT checkerboard, RT@1080p, other
Self shadowing - none, RT, RT checkerboard, RT@1080p, other
Shadow fall off - none, RT, RT checkerboard, RT@1080p , "fake" using the example in the video of "fog" overlaid in layers, across the surface
Roughness cut off for switching between RT and SSR - none, high, medium, low

Comparing XSX versus PSV port of a game in a console war is going to get really complicated!
Im just happy that we wont see anymore flat ground textures and pop ins.
Nect gen cant come soon enough

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I could see GT7 using reflections via RT in replay cameras if they are half framerate. But in-race there doesn't seem a huge reason to do that at least for cockpit views.

Nov 2, 2017
The tracing itself is done in parallel so that's not really the case. Just because DF can't be sure of what's going on in Horizon doesn't mean they aren't using it, because they 100% are, even if "just" for GI. Guerrilla would never let hardware like that be unused.
Please don't spread misinformation. Atleast put "I think" if you're not sure what you're talking about. Current raytracing hardware only speeds up the BVH traversal and intersection which is only a small part of the raytracing process. Most is still done by the same hardware that does rasterization meaning it takes a ton of shading resources away from the rest. In other words: using raytracing means sacrificing other stuff.

Why else do you think the performance hit for raytracing is so big? If it was really done in parallel there would be not performance hit. The immense shading cost of raytracing for just one effect is why I think you can push a better looking game out if you don't use it. Alas it's the current hype so I guess we'll waste a ton of performance on it, similar to how we'll waste it on native 4k instead of using more efficient, but slightly worse looking, methods.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I could see GT7 using reflections via RT in replay cameras if they are half framerate. But in-race there doesn't seem a huge reason to do that at least for cockpit views.
yeah they could bump a lot more in replay, but in game probally they only go as far as global illumination, shadows and reflections.
full ray tracing based on road to ps5 seems hella intensive.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It still surprises me that Ratchet & Clank is the game to mak me think "now that's next gen". What an ingenious way to showcase what the SSD can do.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Looks great.
And an impressive work done by DF.
I hope next generation we will see pretty often 400x and x0.25.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
We haven't even started this generation, and devs are already finding ways to improve the RT cost to performance.

How impressive are Sony's FP studios?

luoapp

Oct 27, 2017
Satisfactory is subjective. It's never overkill because there are people who want to max setting at native 4K and 60fps. Plus games are hopefully going to continue showing increasing complexity of RT effects. The implementation in games available still don't look nearly as nice as the ones in tech demos, and those games already out tank current GPUs. It's only natural to expect more powerful cards if we want games that match the effects shown in those demos.

Console games will offer the minimum level of implementation and PC versions will either feature higher fidelity options for RT or additional uses if the developer makes the effort to add them. You could have for example Resident Evil 8 support raytracing for reflections on consoles but then the PC version might add say global illumination to make everything look more realistic.

What we are seeing from PS5 trailers, is a full-on ray tracing solution is out of reach for another generation of consoles. The best they can do is to sprinkle some rt effects here and there. We actually know that for a quite long time, and xbox is no exception. Which puts PC RT in a peculiar position. The rt capability of RTX cards ( 2080 and up) will be far superior than console's, yet who's gonna develop a full-on ray tracing engine?