• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait to watch this...but i know for sure gt7 looked amazing. The lighting looks so natural and I'm beyond happy ray tracing is already here for launch with 60fps.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I can't believe DF is still being so disingenuous about Gran Turismo, and even talking about 4k60fps when there was absolutely no trace of RT ingame, or even the car selection screen perhaps outside of shadows/occlusion.
Basically nowhere outside of the cinematic which, as is the case with all PD trailers before it, is probably rendered with photomode fidelity frame by frame.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
During the show GT7 had me a bit whelmed.
After the show it's my second most hyped game of the presentation.

Fantastic visuals and implementation.
May buy a wheel for it.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I can't believe DF is still being so disingenuous about Gran Turismo, and even talking about 4k60fps when there was absolutely no trace of RT ingame, or even the car selection screen perhaps outside of shadows/occlusion.
Basically nowhere outside of the cinematic which, as is the case with all PD trailers before it, is probably rendered with photomode fidelity frame by frame.
"disingenuous"

Look - we only work with the content which with we are given - if the game does not have RT reflections in gameplay on release, I will call it out for sure.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
And we never thought we would have raytracing next gen... It wasn't even a serious idea maybe 2 years ago.

GT7 looks so damn clean and detailed (and I was literally playing GT Sport on a Pro on my 4K tv before watching this video). The finished polished product is going to be stellar, I just seriously hope it's further along development than we think and there are no delays like past games have suffered. I want it within 6 months of launch..

I'm very happy with PS5 graphics, and to me actually the underground hit of that show is Stray. I really hope the gameplay is in keeping with the vibes of that trailer and not something totally different.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
"disingenuous"

Look - we only work with the content which with we are given - if the game does not have RT reflections in gameplay on release, I will call it out for sure.

Dont mind him. Probably just console warriors. There is so many of them now that we get next gen consoles and new games.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
60fps dream is dead. Doubt they would remove rt/use a different lighting solution for 60fps performance modes. Seems too much work.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Dont mind him. Probably just console warriors. There is so many of them now that we get next gen consoles and new games.

lol

"disingenuous"

Look - we only work with the content which with we are given.

Absolutely. Just thought it was fair to point out that PD cinematics are rarely representative of the games themselves.
We basically have no idea how GT7 will look at release one way or another anyway, given GTS went from hideous to gorgeous in mere months and I don't think we have an idea when GT7 is releasing.

Last edited:

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Great watch. Also real time RT GI (and Pragmata) ftw. Fuck native 4k and give us that sweet sweet form of GI.

Oct 29, 2017
Even in the twitch steam at sub 1080p, the first thing I thought when I saw Pragmata was "hey, look at all the noise, this is raytraced for sure"

Capcom better not be pulling another Deep Down.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone who doesn't think that RTX in next gen consoles is a huge deal just watch this:

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to see how this looks and feels while playing. I thought we were only going to see this tech in the second half of the gen from some of the chatter so I'm already impressed!

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't long ago when it was speculated that RT was too new/performance intensive to be properly utilized next-gen.

Exciting showing here.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
It's insane how little difference ray tracing seems to make to my eyes. Like, I see it when it's pointed out and zoomed in and such, but feck — I'm too old to tell the difference between real stuff and faked stuff.

So far, Minecraft has been the biggest most obvious implementation of it. And even then, I'm not sure I like what it does to Minecraft.

Also, I wonder what NOT using ray tracing would afford these games visually, elsewhere, having the extra headroom restored.

Sorry for the stupid words.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I was appreciative with Alex's explanation on how they were achieving RT across the various titles. I loved that he highlighted all the little shortcuts, nips, and tucks that were being used to get the most out of RT within the limits of the consoles.

It's insane how little difference ray tracing seems to make to my eyes. Like, I see it when it's pointed out and zoomed in and such, but feck — I'm too old to tell the difference between real stuff and faked stuff.

So far, Minecraft has been the biggest most obvious implementation of it. And even then, I'm not sure I like what it does to Minecraft.

Also, I wonder what NOT using ray tracing would afford these games visually, elsewhere, having the extra headroom restored.

Sorry for the stupid words.

Others have put it this way: Game developers have spent A LOT of time faking lighting and reflections and are REALLY good at it. That's why it's so tough to notice differences unless you know where to look or it's blatantly obvious. RT also frees up developers time so they're not investing so much time faking it.

I feel RT is like ambient occlusion. You won't really notice it when it's initially introduced but you'll notice its absence when you look back at games a generation later.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
so in gameplay section with interior camera you didn't notice rt ?
The camera angles there are terrible for saying "this is RT or this is not RT" - the dash camera though was a render to texture reflection - which makes sense since it is coming from a camera on the back of the car in real life.

I would need more footage from in game gameplay to say whether RT was in play there or not.

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's not that surprising imo. There's a significant cost for raytracing so using it on consoles means sacrificing other stuff. Given the cost I'd argue that you can get overall better graphics by not using it.
The tracing itself is done in parallel so that's not really the case. Just because DF can't be sure of what's going on in Horizon doesn't mean they aren't using it, because they 100% are, even if "just" for GI. Guerrilla would never let hardware like that be unused.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Really interesting video. Loved the use of RT in Control on PC which felt like a glimpse into the future. Really hoping that as the tech develops (as stressed in the video....all of this stuff is very new) it will be further optimised and improved.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I was appreciative with Alex's explanation on how they were achieving RT across the various titles. I loved that he highlighted all the little shortcuts, nips, and tucks that were being used to get the most out of RT within the limits of the consoles.

Others have put it this way: Game developers have spent A LOT of time faking lighting and reflections and are REALLY good at it. That's why it's so tough to notice differences unless you know where to look or it's blatantly obvious. RT also frees up developers time so they're not investing so much time faking it.

I feel RT is like ambient occlusion. You won't really notice it when it's initially introduced but you'll notice its absence when you look back at games a generation later.

Freeing up their time and resources is actually all you needed to say. I'm 100% for any tech that makes their lives easier.

luoapp

Oct 27, 2017
If PS5 's ray tracing is satisfactory, does that mean RTX 3000's rt solution is overkill ( or even some 2080s)?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but it's only one out of six games. Was hoping for a different outcome but I knew this would happen (mostly 30fps games with a focus on graphics).

Pragmata was 60 fps too. Maybe that will only end up being PC only but given how hard Capcom has pushed 60 fps this gen it wouldn't surprise me if the console release keeps 60 as well.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
lol

Absolutely. Just thought it was fair to point out that PD cinematics are rarely representative of the games themselves.
We basically have no idea how GT7 will look at release one way or another anyway, given GTS went from hideous to gorgeous in mere months and I don't think we have an idea when GT7 is releasing.

You weren't pointing it out, you were accusing them for being misleading. Tall talk.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I'm glad Sony teams are using rtx. (The term rolls off better, sue me lol)

From what I read previously here is that Sony would only be able to implement a shitty version compared to whats seen on pc because of the GPU having less CUs or some shit.

robo_e

Banned
Apr 3, 2020
Ray tracing is expensive as heck. I'll take this implementation of it and expect similar for XSX.
Only super high end PCs are going to do better.
Yeah I agree, it was just funny to me when they zoomed in on the car reflection and boom checker boarding, it's smart af and I wonder if checkerboard RT on console is the going to be the way to mimic Dls 2.0. Not as crisp obviously but then again these aren't 2k machines.

Oct 29, 2017
If PS5 's ray tracing is satisfactory, does that mean RTX 3000's rt solution is overkill ( or even some 2080s)?
Satisfactory is subjective. It's never overkill because there are people who want to max setting at native 4K and 60fps. Plus games are hopefully going to continue showing increasing complexity of RT effects. The implementation in games available still don't look nearly as nice as the ones in tech demos, and those games already out tank current GPUs. It's only natural to expect more powerful cards if we want games that match the effects shown in those demos.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

Absolutely not. It just means the PC GPUs can do a lot more with it.

Control features several different areas where RT is used in different ways.
  • RT reflections
  • RT transparent reflections
  • RT indirect diffuse lighting
  • RT contact shadows
  • RT debris
Then you have Metro Exodus with its raytraced global illumination and emissive lighting.

By comparison consoles will most likely stick to RT reflections here and there with any of the computationally more expensive techniques only seen in cutscenes and photo modes where they have more control over the performance.

Console games will offer the minimum level of implementation and PC versions will either feature higher fidelity options for RT or additional uses if the developer makes the effort to add them. You could have for example Resident Evil 8 support raytracing for reflections on consoles but then the PC version might add say global illumination to make everything look more realistic.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017

From what I read previously here is that Sony would only be able to implement a shitty version compared to whats seen on pc because of the GPU having less CUs or some shit.
When you overclock those CUs the RT performance scales with it like everything else. Some people just choose to ignore this fact.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018

We really don't know how well amd solution is at raytracing since this is the new Navi 2.0 cards. So far it looks promising by seeing early first gen games adopting some form of it.

lol at people in here who thought this gen was going to be spinning disc drives and at max 10 teraflop Vega cards.

I remember when the Star Wars raytracing Demo came out and everyone said console owners don't bother, it will not be coming over to PlayStation and Xbox till the next generation.

how funny is that? A year and a half make a big diff in opinion looking back

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
great video. I'm hoping Microsoft goes all out with RT next month. glad we're seeing RT effects so early