• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NimbusCub

Oct 28, 2017
Phoenix
Yeah, 9-10 TFLOPs are much more in line with something anyone should realistically expect.

A 12 TFLOP RDNA GPU would be much faster than just 2x XBX

Which makes it all the more impressive that what they're hearing is 12TF RDNA.

I asked Microsoft for clarification on its current-gen multiplier comparisons with Series X, but the firm declined to commit in the here and now to a precise figure. However, our information is that the GPU is indeed 12TF and what are almost certainly well-sourced leaks from Windows Central back this up.

This has to be the weakest console reveal ever. Microsoft hasn't captured any momentum this week, I barely see anyone talking about it outside hardcore circles, meanwhile local stores in Europe are already taking in pre-orders and advertising the PS5 even though we don't know anything about it, not even the price. I pre-ordered mine months ago lol.

Sony need do nothing, power is not the only thing that won them this gen, it was the games and the expectation of it (remember late last gen Sony was pumping out amazing titles after another). Hellblade 2 is cool but it's no God of War.

TGAs had 45 million unique viewers this year, 15 million more than the Oscar's. The Series X reveal video was #2 on Trending in a number of YouTube regions and reaction videos filled in a number of other trending spots. I'd say that's a pretty great reveal.

As for Sony's launch, let's not forget that their dominant performance was largely due to the power gap, price point, and failure to communicate the way that Xbox One's digital-only vision would work. That's not to say that Sony clearly had the momentum coming into this gen, but a stronger showing from MS would've likely mitigated this 3:1 sales lead.

While God of War is great, so is Hellblade. There's obvious quality titles on both sides. While I'd say Sony's studios on the whole tend to deliver a consistently higher level of quality, trying to take swipes at a title that hasn't even launched yet is a bit premature.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
What we need to know is how RDNA, (1.0) at least, compares with old GCN used in the 2013 consoles. That was GCN 1.0 or at best, GCN 1.1

Then speculate on GCN 1.0 / 1.1 vs RDNA 2.0

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This has to be the weakest console reveal ever. Microsoft hasn't captured any momentum this week, I barely see anyone talking about it outside hardcore circles, meanwhile local stores in Europe are already taking in pre-orders and advertising the PS5 even though we don't know anything about it, not even the price. I pre-ordered mine months ago lol.

Sony need do nothing, power is not the only thing that won them this gen, it was the games and the expectation of it (remember late last gen Sony was pumping out amazing titles after another). Hellblade 2 is cool but it's no God of War.

Console warring if I've ever seen it lol

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Good news everyone! Next gen is going to be great, wish it were releasing earlier. This also sounds more expensive than usual, which makes sense given the rumoured cheaper SKU.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Which makes it all the more impressive that what they're hearing is 12TF RDNA.

TGAs had 45 million unique viewers this year, 15 million more than the Oscar's. The Series X reveal video was #2 on Trending in a number of YouTube regions and reaction videos filled in a number of other trending spots. I'd say that's a pretty great reveal.

As for Sony's launch, let's not forget that their dominant performance was largely due to the power gap, price point, and failure to communicate the way that Xbox One's digital-only vision would work. That's not to say that Sony clearly had the momentum coming into this gen, but a stronger showing from MS would've likely mitigated this 3:1 sales lead.

While God of War is great, so is Hellblade. There's obvious quality titles on both sides. While I'd say Sony's studios on the whole tend to deliver a consistently higher level of quality, trying to take swipes at a title that hasn't even launched yet is a bit premature.
Very well explained.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Series S will be $399 and Series X double at $799 by the way it is sounding..... Although a big part of it will be how competitive Series S will be to the PS5. If Series X is supposed to be the PS5 competitor, I can't see them pricing it more than $499-599.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I beg to differ. Sony's gaming division is a lot more important to sony than Xbox is to MS. I was looking at their quarterly profits and sony posts around $3 billion in profits every quarter while MS $10 billion. yes, MS can eat a $100 in losses but so can Sony.

a $100 loss on 15 million consoles sold in the first year is $1.5 billion. thats roughly $400 million every quarter. Big enough that they cant hide it from investors, but small enough to show investors thats its a long term investment.

keep in mind, playstation's digital revenue dwarfs both ms and nintendo. at $12 billion a year from PSN sales alone, they are more than MS and Nintendo's online revenue combined. Everyone talks about valve's 30% digital cut but Sony heavily relies on third party sales. they simply cannot afford to give up what is essentially free money from third party sales and PS+ subs.

they will do everything in their power to cut the power gap and if need be, take an additional loss to come under MS. Literally $12 billion in revenue is riding on it. whats an extra $1.5 billion?
I agree that people underestimate what Sony is capable of. I guess the big question is, that new investment and support for the Xbox division that is making the whole thing possible with new studios, consoles, projects... how far does it actually go? I guess we're a few months away from finding out.

I do think that if this is a Microsoft willing to take loses on both consoles, we'll be talking of a behemoth of a gaming division.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I remember the days when the next-gen thread thought the Sony co-developing Navi fluff piece meant Microsoft would be using old Polaris chips for the XSX. Goes to show how far off projections can be.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I remember the days when the next-gen thread thought the Sony co-developing Navi fluff piece meant Microsoft would be using old Polaris chips for the XSX. Goes to show how far off projections can be.
After it was clear it wasn't Polaris those people started pushing that it would be Vega based... lol.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I still predict Lockhart will still sell the most just like how xbox one s sales more than the X today. I hope they release both at the same time and not a staggered release.

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017
I wonder if MS will bring back the family sharing thing they announced at E3 2013. Can't remember exactly how it worked but I remember thinking I liked the sound of it. With multiple people and multiple xbox's in my house, it would be really handy to have.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018

You in yo feelings bro?

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017

How do you know? God of War spent its entire existence being the Michael Bay of shallow action nonsense, then had one good game. Hellblade came out and became the flagship of popularising the battle against mental illness.

If you think Sony need do nothing you are advocating that they take a "Ridge Racer/Giant Enemy Crab" approach. That doomed them.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is something else, no-one but the entire industry are talking about Series X, but your friends preorders of PS5 means it's a failed reveal. Love how your store means all of Europe too lol.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Their entire gaming segment was $11.5 billion.

PSN alone beat them. (no retail, hardware sales)

For the record, I am saying they will both take a $100 loss.

are we sure that sony gacha game that's #1 in mobile revenue isn't included in there or something? if not, what sony segment is it's revenue in?

anyways since ps5 outsold xbox 2.5: 1, yeah PSN revenue doing that should be the case.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Get Lockhart out at $200 so everyone upgrades and get people off of the OG Xbox One as soon as possible. That thing needs to be dropped immediately.

100% lockhart isn't gonna make $200. The current gen consoles barely make 200. $299, i guess.

Which makes me question it's validity early on. The price delta might grow later, but $300 is expensive in it's own right, so people will just go for Series X.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Get Lockhart out at $200 so everyone upgrades and get people off of the OG Xbox One as soon as possible. That thing needs to be dropped immediately.

My contention was they should have put out like a 2-2.5 TF GPU base Xbox (probably with 8GB GDDR 5 instead DDR/ESRAM) model and quietly replaced the base One some time ago for the same price. Didn't happen obviously and now it's too late.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Not surprised. I think it was clear when there were features being announced for next gen consoles that aren't even in the current GPU that using it has a baseline didn't make sense. It's going to be better for sure.

are we sure that sony gacha game that's #1 in mobile revenue isn't included in there or something? if not, what sony segment is it's revenue in?
Sony's mobile games is from Aniplex which is a Sony Music Segment. The Games & Network Segment is separate.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Microsoft back on their grind. No more media bullshit box, to hold them back. A gaming focus device, to give Sony a run for their money.

DammitLloyd

Oct 25, 2017
well, PS4 and One hardware was shit in 2013 and not better than what was available at that time

Maybe because they were based on upcoming 2013 tech?

By the time these consoles come out there would already be new hardware in the market that's better then 2019 hardware and most definitely better then these consoles.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

anyways since ps5 outsold xbox 2.5: 1, yeah PSN revenue doing that should be the case.
Also, the important thing to keep in mind with both Sony and MS's revenue is a lot of it has to be paid back out to publishers, as this includes all PSN and Live game and content sales.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe because they were based on upcoming 2013 tech?

By the time these consoles come out there would already be new hardware in the market that's better then 2019 hardware and most definitely better then these consoles.

It's mainly due to the fact that AMD was the only company making APUs and their only CPU that fit the power envelope for the PS4 and Xbox One at the time was Jaguar, a netbook CPU. The GPUs and memory shook out as expected based on ease of use and total over available resources (aka the PS4 was all around better) but the CPU has really hobbled this gen.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017

This HAS to be sarcasm...

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
What do you guys think about Eurogamer speculating Xbox Series X could be around 300W?

Our measurements for the first-gen PlayStation 3 currently top the power consumption charts at 209W during gameplay. Based on what we know of Navi GPUs from the existing, seemingly less capable Radeon RX 5700-series, not to mention the size of the Series X casing, I wouldn't be surprised to see the new console move beyond 300W. With that in mind, assurances from Microsoft that the machine has a similar acoustic profile to Xbox One X is very, very welcome.

What were Xbox One X and and PS4 Pro? I seem to remember the original launch PS4 was about 150W under full load.

Aug 26, 2019
It's mainly due to the fact that AMD was the only company making APUs and their only CPU that fit the power envelope for the PS4 and Xbox One at the time was Jaguar, a netbook CPU. The GPUs and memory shook out as expected based on ease of use and total over available resources (aka the PS4 was all around better) but the CPU has really hobbled this gen.
In some ways, isn't the PS3's CPU more powerful than the PS4's?