• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
This was a great article. Nothing new mind you, but great. Curious if SSD NVME will mean games will he plug and play if you get disc. That's what he suggests here. I doubt that's the case given current day patching but it would be interesting

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I'm still surprised at 12 tf.. that was my high end " anything is possible " guess.
If you read the article he's talking about 12tf of performance, but that's because these new GPUs are more efficient. So the actual tflops number is more likely to around 9tf.

If the Series X was 12 actual tflops Microsoft would be singing this fact as loudly as possible. There is a reason they haven't mentioned a number folks.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This only affirms to me that the Series X is gonna be $549 - $599, with the Series S to facilitate the lower end at $399 - $449.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
If you read the article he's talking about 12tf of performance, but that's because these new GPUs are more efficient. So the actual tflops number is more likely to around 9tf.

If the Series X was 12 actual tflops Microsoft would be singing this fact as loudly as possible. There is a reason they haven't mentioned a number folks.

you are the one who didn't read.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
Didn't a dev said specs on next gen consoles are very close?

Also Sonys forecast for 2021 indicates subsidies.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Weird strategy. By the time prices come down, they'll be looking at the mid gen console refresh. Can they really afford a $200 or so loss per console?

No way Sony follow suit.

I don't think we'll need a mid gen upgrade this time around. Outside of the 8GB of ram, the PS4 and XB1 were pretty damn weak when launched. This Xbox is not remotely weak. It's not using a sub-laptop CPU. It's not a $150 gpu. It's high end across the board.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing I'd hold against Panos is his use of sometimes outdated specs and some baffling design decisions. But aside that, his team does brilliant work.
That comment is kind of a contradiction to the other claim...
I'm personally not seeing the ingenuity in their designs. Surfaces are tablets with foldable stands and keyboard attachments (been done before) and the XSX is a monolith... I admit, it's a nice looking monolith but that's hardly worthy of the praise you seem to be giving him.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we'll need a mid gen upgrade this time around. Outside of the 8GB of ram, the PS4 and XB1 were pretty damn weak when launched. This Xbox is not remotely weak. It's not using a sub-laptop CPU. It's not a $150 gpu. It's high end across the board.

Technology moves forward and who knows what it will be like in 4-5 years time.

Plus according to Sony's own words, the reason why the Pro was released was to help slow the drift of users to PCs over the cours of a console generation. So they may still hold this philosophy.

twisted89

Oct 27, 2017
The $1200 RTX 2080Ti was released in 2018. By your logic, you actually think it's 'idiotic' not to expect the PS5 and Series X to surpass it.

It helps to think these things through before posting.
What on earth are you on about? I'm pointing out that saying something releasing in the future is better than something released in the past is a stupid comment to make. I'd expect it to be, if it wasn't then, well, it's clearly shit.

Maybe read things thoroughly before replying.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
you are the one who didn't read.
I just read it again. Richard is saying he's hearing it's 12tf from sources, but that makes the math very hard to make sense of, as AMD doesn't currently have a chip that would make sense of this.

Richard mentions a 9tf chip that performs like a 12tf chip from prior gens as a possibility, and I believe that is the most likely outcome here. I would love to be wrong, as I'd love to see a 12tf actual console, but it just seems unlikely.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's false that they have high failure rates, and it's also misinformation that they're overpriced.
That'll be news to many IT departments then, or consumers looking to buy personal devices.

Surface represents a billion dollar line for Microsoft and generates quite a healthy bit of income. Additionally, they've helped popularize the 2-in-1 formfactor and established MS as an excellent hardware maker. Certainly there's been tons of innovation with the design of multiple Surface products.
I don't mean that it's been a failure for Microsoft. I just mean that I know several people working in IT that would never touch those products again after the number of issues they've had compared to products from Dell and Lenovo.

The only thing I'd hold against Panos is his use of sometimes outdated specs and some baffling design decisions.
The best hardware designer in the world, you say?

This was a great article. Nothing new mind you, but great. Curious if SSD NVME will mean games will he plug and play if you get disc. That's what he suggests here. I doubt that's the case given current day patching but it would be interesting
You'd still have to install the game.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019

That's a good point. Regardless, seems the consumer will be happy either way.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
I'm personally not seeing the ingenuity in their designs. Surfaces are tablets with foldable stands and keyboard attachments (been done before) and the XSX is a monolith... I admit, it's a nice looking monolith but that's hardly worthy of the praise you seem to be giving him.

Put an OG Xbox 1 next to a PS4. Then put an X1X next to a PS4 Pro and the difference Panay's design choices have made to Xbox really should be impressive to anybody.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so fucking excited about both next gen consoles. Someone made a thread about next gen being the best and BRO/SIS/ I AGREE WITH YOU SO MUCH. I'm excited to play JRPGs on PS5 and every other game on Series X. Exciting times ahead. My only concern tho is storage. I can't see myself surviving with just 1 TB and SSDs are expensive as fuck.

Holy shit, I thought it was the girl from GoT and then I realized it's, uhm, something else.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
The $1200 RTX 2080Ti was released in 2018. By your logic, you actually think it's 'idiotic' not to expect the PS5 and Series X to surpass it.

It helps to think these things through before posting.
They will not surprass 2080 ti. Probably x will be 11 tflops and will be on par with a 2080. But 2080 ti is 25-30% more in perf than a 2080.

And when consoles arrive a 3060 will have the perf of a 2080.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Technology moves forward and who knows what it will be like in 4-5 years time.

Plus according to Sony's own words, the reason why the Pro was released was to help slow the drift of users to PCs over the cours of a console generation. So they may still hold this philosophy.

I only think that was necessary because the base systems were so weak. They were out of date years before they were even released. Especially on the CPU side.

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
Love everyone is making assumptions on PS5 being despite the fact we don't know jack shit is out ps5 specs. I know we are hungry for info but pls be patient.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
I may be remembering this wrong since I see Panos mentioned here a lot in relation to the new Xbox, but I seem to remember that during E3 that either Phil Spencer or Major Nelson got asked whether Panos was designing it. His answer was that it was done within the Xbox team, the same that also did the new Series 2 Elite controller.

Again maybe I remember it completely wrong, but has Panos been confirmed to be involved?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

It isn't in contradiction. Baffling decisions like using an outdated GPU in the first Surface Studio and using an AMD CPU in their new 15 inch Surface Laptop.

Aside that, the Surface Studio, Surface Book, Surface X and Surface Pro line are a marvel of engineering. and they turned in excellent work on the Xbox One X.

Oct 26, 2017

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Love everyone is making assumptions on PS5 being despite the fact we don't know jack shit is out ps5 specs. I know we are hungry for info but pls be patient.

Maybe, but if the specs are true for the XSX then I don't see Sony going that far. MS can afford to go this hard on a premium console because they also have the Lockhart coming out. Sony doesn't seem to have any interest in doing a less powerful console in addition to their main one. MS could probably sell this at $600 for enthusiasts with the Lockhart around $300 for the more casual audience.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I would imagine that most would expect a late 2020 next gen system that will likely cost at least $499, to match the performance of a 2018 GPU that cost $1200. Consumer GPU's are sold with a healthy mark up, whilst next gen systems tend to be sold as loss leaders, at least initially.

Ah, but you forget the critical thing that this is AMD we're talking about. Their biggest, flagship GPUs being prepped for a H1/mid year launch will be set to rival the 2 year old 2080Ti.

There's no way a GPU as powerful as the best AMD has to offer for Desktop In 2020 gets into the next gen consoles. Power requirement and price will see to that.

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Yes, OPs avatar, clearly a biased user

www.resetera.com

PlayStation is winning me over thanks to their belief in console generations

So, I’ve been primarily an Xbox guy since 2002, owning only the first PlayStation in the 90s and a PS4 Pro since the beginning of 2017. Truth to be told, I had more fun this gen with PlayStation exclusives than anything on Xbox. Cool, we all know how hard the beginning of this gen was for...
Not valid anymore ;)

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I may be remembering this wrong since I see Panos mentioned here a lot in relation to the new Xbox, but I seem to remember that during E3 that either Phil Spencer or Major Nelson got asked whether Panos was designing it. His answer was that it was done within the Xbox team, the same that also did the new Series 2 Elite controller.

Again maybe I remember it completely wrong, but has Panos been confirmed to be involved?

He overseas all hardware, but doesn't out right design them. I'm sure gives his input and what not.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
What on earth are you on about? I'm pointing out that saying something releasing in the future is better than something released in the past is a stupid comment to make. I'd expect it to be, if it wasn't then, well, it's clearly shit.

Maybe read things thoroughly before replying.

And I've just pointed out that it isn't a 'stupid' assumption to make since we're unlikely to get a better GPU than 2018's 2080Ti in the next gen consoles.

I thought that was very clearly stated?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
People saying this is gonna be 599 make me laugh. That shit would be DOA.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
They will not surprass 2080 ti. Probably x will be 11 tflops and will be on par with a 2080. But 2080 ti is 25-30% more in perf than a 2080.

And when consoles arrive a 3060 will have the perf of a 2080.

Xsx is not the console that you used to know. It's a micro form factor top of the line PC, even compared to 2020 builds.

You expected Xsx to be 300W TDP. That's equivalent to a 400W build in the PC space since APUs and console mobos are much more efficient. 400W builds can be very high end.

I think whatever performance range 2080TI builds falls into, Xsx will be around the bottom of that.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I thought the PS5 GPU is slightly more powerful than the Anaconda GPU according to Klee etc? So PS5 even higher than 12tf? Not that I can pretend to keep up with that insane thread.

AMD must be launching some nice high end PC GPUs next year then (albeit so will Nvidia!)

May 22, 2019

Reducing it to that simplicity is like saying an Aston Martin DB5 is just a card with wheels and a rounded hood.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Xsx is not the console that you used to know. It's a micro form factor too of the line PC, even for 2020?

You expected Xsx to be 300W TDP. That's equivalent to a 400W build in the PC space since APUs and console mobos are much more efficient.

I think whatever performance range 2080TI builds falls into, Xsx will be around the bottom of that.

To be on par with rtx 2080 ti(13.75 on paper but 15tf on game) you would need 16.5 rdna flops

To be on par on paper around 14.5 it is not gonna happen...