• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we eventually learn the benefits of the Slipspace engine for 343. If it potentially gave them that many issues (speculation), what made the engine desired enough for it to be used in the final release?

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Wanted to chime in with further kudos for Alex and co. about how great their work is, and how appreciated their continued analysis is. Personally I think this is one of your best videos ever - incredibly informative, very thorough and candid, and also super interesting in a morbidly curious 'watching a >100 million dollar train-wreck' kinda way (still extremely excited for Infinite however). The concern trolling and conspiracy theories earlier in this thread couldn't be more ridiculous.

Would genuinely love even more of a deep dive into what's going on here, postulations about what went wrong, and what solutions if any are available and how realistic these might be to implement with current timeframe. Going to be really interesting to see how Infinite evolves in the coming months (and years potentially).
I hope we eventually learn the benefits of the Slipspace engine for 343. If it potentially gave them that many issues (speculation), what made the engine desired enough for it to be used in the final release?
The major two suggested in the video were ease of iteration (i.e. dynamic lighting will make creating content much faster versus traditional baked lighting) and of course enabling variable lighting conditions/time-of-day (good for variety and replayability). Will be interesting to see whether there are further benefits.

A few interesting ideas have been tossed about - i.e. Slipspace being conducive to bigger scale and return of Scarab style encounters, multiplayer and Forge on Campaign spaces, reduced visual disparity between user-generated/Forge content and dev-made maps, a back-end/foundation that'll be more conducive to 10 years of iterating than the previous Blam engine was - but everything's currently speculative or wishful thinking.

Last edited:

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
What are the franchises that are large scale, with day night cycle for current gen?

RDR2
Assassins Creed
Watchdogs
Horizon Zero Dawn
Ghost of Tsushima
Ghost Recon: Wildlands

FPS:
Far Cry 5

It's hard to do. 343 is going to have their hands full shipping a new game on a new ambitious engine on Xb1, XB1x, PC, Xss, Xsx. I think they bit more than they can chew.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
It's not just the lighting.

It's the pop in (seriously I've never seen grass pop in so pop right in front of the player character, as well as the horrid amount going up the elevator).

It's the art design.

It's the flat physics and zero damage/hit detection

It's behaves like a last generation game.

It looks nothing like the engine reveal, at all. Not from a technical aspect nor from an artistic one.

I'm afraid so many people are focusing on the lightning and "wait for ray tracing to fix it!". But there's two issues with that. 1, that doesn't fix the artistic design choices and flat looking damage effects, and 2, that's not even at launch...
Totally agree. There's grass pop-in as well as pop-off. In the beginning right before MC gets into the vehicle there's pretty jarring grass 'pop-offs', in other words it's getting occluded but it's something that should be happening off-screen just outside of the camera's FOV, not on-screen as it did. That immediately broke immersion.

Last edited:

Jhn

Oct 28, 2017
According to Cerny (I take it we all trust his words on this forum), RT GI should be the cheapest graphics related RT you can do. Makes sense since you can fake great looking GI on current gen consoles already.

qs9HDLo.png

That slide always confused me. Perfect reflections are definitely way cheaper than GI. One ray vs many accumulative rays.

Steven135

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
No PC GPU supports 3x3 Pixel modes either, so, yeah.
It could be anything as you cannot source the actual quality of pixels in shots or what happened between their Release. Consider Ing the subjective quality of shots MS released for this game, and that they have not even provided uncrompressed Video to the press, I am not comfortable with making VRS claims for anything. The quality is just not there to make a verifiable claim.

To come back to the subject, it is absolutely not a problem of texture as some say, nor a problem of LOD, streaming, filtering or even mipmap. We can clearly see that the problem does not concern the textures. These are blocks that overlap perfectly in 3x3, it is not at all in UV space.
In addition, the effect is applied by object and not just any way on the image. It is not by chance. It stops perfectly at the edge of the objects. It is therefore an effect by draw call (as can be done with VRS). And this does not apply on the geometry, the edges of the polygons remain full-res (as with VRS again).
It is not MRS (Multi-Resolution Shading) either. And it is not a compression block either because it is direct feed (compression blocks would not be perfectly 3x3 and would not be confined exactly inside an object).

In summary, I know that the VRS 3x3 does not exist and that makes it even more intriguing.

It also shows that it's time to stop with these stories of "native 4K" (largely the fault of Microsoft who talks a lot about it). It no longer makes sense. Native 4K is not an end in itself and is, in many cases, a pure waste of resources. It would be much more relevant to simply form an opinion on the final result on the screen.

HaloVRS2.jpg

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
What are the franchises that are large scale, with day night cycle for current gen?

RDR2
Assassins Creed
Watchdogs
Horizon Zero Dawn
Ghost of Tsushima

FPS:
Far Cry 5

It's hard to do. 343 is going to have their hands full shipping a new game on a new ambitious engine on Xb1, XB1x, PC, Xss, Xsx. I think they bit more than they can chew.

It's certainly a lot of platforms to support. Two of the games you listed only had to deal with two different machines which is quite a bit different than the five you list here (assuming Lockhart is a thing).

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
To come back to the subject, it is absolutely not a problem of texture as some say, nor a problem of LOD, streaming, filtering or even mipmap. We can clearly see that the problem does not concern the textures. These are blocks that overlap perfectly in 3x3, it is not at all in UV space.
In addition, the effect is applied by object and not just any way on the image. It is not by chance. It stops perfectly at the edge of the objects. It is therefore an effect by draw call (as can be done with VRS). And this does not apply on the geometry, the edges of the polygons remain full-res (as with VRS again).
It is not MRS (Multi-Resolution Shading) either. And it is not a compression block either because it is direct feed (compression blocks would not be perfectly 3x3 and would not be confined exactly inside an object).

In summary, I know that the VRS 3x3 does not exist and that makes it even more intriguing.

It also shows that it's time to stop with these stories of "native 4K" (largely the fault of Microsoft who talks a lot about it). It no longer makes sense. Native 4K is not an end in itself and is, in many cases, a pure waste of resources. It would be much more relevant to simply form an opinion on the final result on the screen.

Are we potentially looking at some software solution for VRS?

I recall Modern Warfare 2019 had implemented software VRS. It makes sense they'll want a software solution that works on the base platforms.

Last edited:

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Are potentially looking at some software solution for vrs?

I recall Modern Warfare 2019 had implemented software VRS. It makes sense they'll want a software solution that works on the base platforms.
Yep. This is exactly what I think. I think this is using the tech presented in their own VRS patent which was always mostly talking about how to implement VRS via software (meaning, without dedicated hardware). And it makes sense because of compatibility for the myriad of devices they support, from XB1, countless PC configs up to Xbox Series X.

The fact that we can easily spot the 720p based aliasing shows that tech is not great. It's just another kind of flawed reconstruction technique with visible artifacts constantly visible in motion and even in stills. Also it makes the images looks very soft and uneven because of those spots of 720p in a 2160p framebuffer.

Last edited:

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
Stop spreading lies.

Better models, better lighting, ray tracing, better lod and more are shown in the trailer and the developer already said there're even more things coming that wasn't possible on ps4.
Spiderman ps4 in itself looks better than halo infinite currently regardless. I was amazed how good NY looked. Add in 4k 60fps and it performs the same and looks way better than halo infinite.

Madhlad

Jan 18, 2020
We arent going to look for vrs in compressed Video (compression makes false negative Identifikation), nor are we going to look for 3x3 Pixel modes that no PC gpu supports nor XSX supports. There is no 3x3 Pixel Mode like that post mention on any GPU out there, not a Single one.
Your comment about our Analyse being less than complete has no ground to stand on.

You sure about that?
Eurogamer article
Richard Leadbetter said:
While the jury is still out in the absence of higher quality assets, what we've seen so far across the board shows little to no evidence of the use of variable rate shading - a technique Microsoft is championing as a key efficiency driver in next-gen rendering.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

RDR2
Assassins Creed
Watchdogs
Horizon Zero Dawn
Ghost of Tsushima

FPS:
Far Cry 5

Final Fantasy XV also have day night cycle (plus dynamic weather).

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
No one has seen 4k 60fps Spiderman unless you're a time traveler.
Spiderman ps4 has been out for a while now... insomniac says the new game is 4k 60fps. I was stating that spiderman ps5 at 4k 60fps would be better than the way halo is looking now even if it looked exactly like spiderman ps4 which is checkerboard 4k 30fps because spiderman ps4 has very good graphics already.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
I think there are a lot of problems with the game, however, I believe the most significant issue is indeed the lighting and the neglect of ray tracing that Dictator is pointing towards.
If the quality of textures, armor, explosions, etc, are relying on all it's lighting from ray tracing alone, that would explain lack of shadows being cast around the world and therefore neglecting details.

It does not explain, however, that lego phantom.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017

The old Blam engine was showing its age for a while. There was an excellent post in another thread that described one of the big problems.

Halo 4 and 5 also had a bigger problem preventing proper long-term support: Technical Debt from Bungie's engine - Particularly, a little thing called the Tag System, where assets and scripts (grouped up into Tags, which automatically attach their relevant dependencies) are baked into maps at Compile-Time - This was a necessary optimization for the OG Xbox when Halo 1 was made to keep load-times down on a live-reading DVD, however said system was retained well into Reach on 360 despite not being needed anymore since Bungie never had the time to get rid of it in their chaotic development schedules. This is why Reach never got DLC Armors despite apparent teases of it, because adding any armors and such would mean updating every map, both MP and SP, to have the assets.

Assuming Slipspace isn't just another "Creation Engine" name-switcheroo, or is an upgrade on a par comparable to GoldSrc->Source/Source->Source 2, then this big problem getting in the way of large scale patching will be much less of a problem.

dumbo11

Apr 29, 2018
I think the problem is that there are basically 2 titles in development:
- Halo:Infinite for the XB1/X. This is the game that the demo was intended for, this is the game that has been polished, this is the game that is almost shippable. (using a form of static lighting at 60fps/variable res?)
- Halo:Infinite for the XSX. This was intended to be a post-release update but has been rushed - it's not ready for demoing, the lighting is absolutely not suited to the content that they've finished, it probably relies on hardware APIs that are barely written (or still pending).

So the intention was probably to show a demo of the XB1/X version whilst describing how everything was cross-gen and showing a few shots of the XSX. But I think a combination of Sony's presentation, mis-statements by MS senior staff and a surprising lack of *any* XSX content led to them running the demo on the XSX.

However I don't understand why this demo video does not have a giant 'work in progress/does not represent final product' disclaimer.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
However I don't understand why this demo video does not have a giant 'work in progress/does not represent final product' disclaimer.

Arguably that could have made reactions even worse, from people who know nothing about game development seeing "Does not represent final product" in marketing a presumed 4 months from launch. Even if the actual build being ran is from months ago itself.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True. But that's a criticism of the art, not the horsepower.

Did I miss the launch?

can you tell me about the next gen visually impressive launch titles that you've seen for xbox series x? Im buying the system day one, im
Not a sony fan boy, but lets be honest in terms of visually impressive next gen launch titles, like the xbox one had in ryse and forza 5, the series x doesnt seem to have anything comprable at launch. Nothing we can look at and say "wow, thats next gen"

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
can you tell me about the next gen visually impressive launch titles that you've seen for xbox series x? Im buying the system day one, im
Not a sony fan boy, but lets be honest in terms of visually impressive next gen launch titles, like the xbox one had in ryse and forza 5, the series x doesnt seem to have anything comprable at launch. Nothing we can look at and say "wow, thats next gen"
I completely agree with you. Hellblade 2 looks good and I expect 2k, FIFA, Madden to have all the fanciful graphics

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
I let this sink in for a little while more. On a technology level sure raytraced lighting will make it look better...but not miles better. Metro Exodus looks amazing without RT and even better with it enabled. A "fix" that would actually benefit way more people, from my POV, would be more pronounced AO and more intense volumentric lighting. The latter would make the medium and distant visuals pop way more.
Overall, i really see an art issue here. Nothing pops, or rather everything pops the same. There are no great contrasts, i dont see much of an artistic intent to draw the viewers attention anywere.

Last edited:

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Overall, i really see an art issue here. Nothing pops, or rather everything pops the same. There are no great contrasts, i dont see much of an artistic intent to draw the viewers attention anywere.

This is on purpose. They want to add content rapidly without having to spend lots of time authoring them. i.e. baking in lighting.

It the trade-offs they decided to take.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
www.resetera.com

Digital Foundry: Halo Infinite E3 2019: A Taste Of Next-Gen Xbox Graphics?

Is this the level of graphical fidelity we should expect from launch Xbox Project Scarlett titles? Alex checks out the Halo Infinite trailer from E3 2019, dissecting the technology and showcasing how the new Slipstream Engine stacks up against prior Halo tech. Thank you to Logitech G and the...

I found this old thread, don't know how people would react with a bump so I thought it would be better to keep the talk here
It does seem that Halo Infinite, the way it looks, its Halo from old gen with 4k 60fps on it. They talk a lot about the compromises necessary to make Halo 5 60fps on Xbox One and its looks like the same situation.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
www.resetera.com

Is this the level of graphical fidelity we should expect from launch Xbox Project Scarlett titles? Alex checks out the Halo Infinite trailer from E3 2019, dissecting the technology and showcasing how the new Slipstream Engine stacks up against prior Halo tech. Thank you to Logitech G and the...

I found this old thread, don't know how people would react with a bump so I thought it would be better to keep the talk here
It does seem that Halo Infinite, the way it looks, its Halo from old gen with 4k 60fps on it. They talk a lot about the compromises necessary to make Halo 5 60fps on Xbox One and its looks like the same situation.

A comparison between this and the gameplay video with Alex's insight would be a video I would love to see.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Crossfire X says hello.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
That's not a ranking from least to most expensive tho. Just a list of potential uses for the RT hw.

No go watch again Road to PS5 he said this is from least to most expensive.

It is at 30:50, I post the link of the video when he talks about it

youtu.be

The Road to PS5

PS5 lead system architect Mark Cerny provides a deep dive into PS5’s system architecture and how it will shape the future of games.

Corralx

Aug 23, 2018
London, UK
No go watch again Road to PS5 he said this is from least to most expensive.

It is at 30:50, I post the link of the video when he talks about it

youtu.be

The Road to PS5

PS5 lead system architect Mark Cerny provides a deep dive into PS5’s system architecture and how it will shape the future of games.

Global illumination is certainly not less expensive than shadows.
There's a reason nearly all games using DXR so far have used it for shadows or reflections (to complement SSR), and not full blown GI.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Global illumination is certainly not less expensive than shadows.
There's a reason nearly all games using DXR so far have used it for shadows or reflections (to complement SSR), and not full blown GI.
Yeah "real" GI will be more expensive - so that slide is very disingenuous if they mean RTGI and it has to do with the computational complexity/expense.

One thing it could be refering to is Ray Traced assisted probe diffuse global illumination. It would not be physically accurate of course like real fully RT GI (even just for the diffuse), but maybe that is what is meant there.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
www.resetera.com

Halo 5 is already doing Native 4K at 60fps most of the time on Xbox One X.
Infinite is just a much bigger and much more ambitious game compared to "old gen" Halos.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Yeah "real" GI will be more expensive - so that slide is very disingenuous if they mean RTGI and it has to do with the computational complexity/expense.

One thing it could be refering to is Ray Traced assisted probe diffuse global illumination. It would not be physically accurate of course like real fully RT GI (even just for the diffuse), but maybe that is what is meant there.

Or other new things, not pure RT. There were other alternatives used in movies before pathtracing. In July 2019, Sony had this ad job.

Senior Graphics Researcher (12 month contract) - London

PlayStation London, GB

Research and develop graphics techniques like real time ray tracing and point cloud rendering for next generation console platforms.

They can maybe use Point based global illumination for example

Corralx I know in pure RT GI is much more intensive than shadows but I think he talks about mixed RT technology.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I am going to necro this thread as the update on this game from last night quite literally mentions key areas of improvement that I mentioned in this video as to why the lighting looked flat:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/inside-infinite-december-2020

July was indeed a very much work-in-progress slice of the technology, and a reasonable set of key features from global illumination and dynamic time of day, to GPU-driven rendering and variable rate shading were all in active development. Much of the graphics team's capacity, along with that of some key technical artists, was focused on achieving high resolution and performance leading up to the demo, which meant several of these features didn't quite get the level of polish and bug fixing that was warranted.

Some of the key areas of progress include better quality of global illumination, ambient occlusion, shadows, volumetric lighting, sky, and atmosphere. We have also addressed issues with our GPU-driven rendering and texture streaming solution that should mitigate the LOD popping and texture quality issues that were prevalent in the July demo.

Firstly, there's been a lot of work done re-tuning our dynamic lighting values to add more punch and contrast to the image. These included adjustments to our sun intensity, fog/atmosphere, and the addition of color grading which did not make it into the July gameplay demo.

We've improved some of our materials to get more specular response, more wear-and-tear on weapons/vehicles, more fidelity in our characters, and more macro breakup on large surfaces like rocks, terrain, and the hex walls. We're now also getting more of our textural detail coming through to the final frame thanks to a sharpening process that our graphics team have added. This helps offset some of the natural blurring of temporal anti-aliasing and it certainly helps our assets shine.
Shadows in shadows (SSAO), GI, image contrast, and specular response in shadows were all things that I mentioned in my video.

It is quite gratifying to read this confirmation after the heavy amount of criticism this video got in explaining why I thought the lighting looked subpar. I would really love to hear back from some of the critics from this thread, if you do not mind posting again.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I am going to necro this thread as the update on this game from last night quite literally mentions key areas of improvement that I mentioned in this video as to why the lighting looked flat:

Shadows in shadows (SSAO), GI, image contrast, and specular response in shadows were all things that I mentioned in my video.

It is quite gratifying to read this confirmation after the heavy amount of criticism this video got in explaining why I thought the lighting looked subpar. I would really love to hear back from some of the critics from this thread, if you do not mind posting again.
Damn haha

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
you were on point as most expected, I mean some of it was pretty damn obvious, so hostility you got was beyond reason. Game looked incredible flat. Glad they are taking the time to improve it.

Oct 27, 2017
The World

Yup, everything you called out in Video is part of the problems 343i is addressing. I have no idea why people were attacking you when the video made so much sense.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston

I always knew you were right, I never understood the hate you got. I feel like some of the hate came from fanboys in denial, idk. I'm glad they are making all the changes needed to make this look better. Oh, and Kudos to you for being so fucking on point. Love your work, man.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

You dance in that aura of vindication. You've earned it lmao.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

You drink it in you earned it, I appreciated your video at the time.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

So you were right and the hostile armchair analysts were wrong?

KR93TA2.gif

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017

Well I wasn't a critic back then so posting again isn't a big hurdle but let me say that it was very nice to see someone filter through the hyperbole and precisely call out both what was wrong with the presentation and how some things were acutally fine or impressive but literally weren't shown in their best light. Nice to see that confirmed and most likely corrected by the time we see more footage from the game.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

can you get me the next set of winning lottery numbers?