• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt considering the pandemic, but I'm not expecting huge improvements either.

if it's truly an old build i don't get why they don't cut up some hype footage in a short teaser, have a guy explain that unfortunately due to covid they need a little more time to put on the finishing touches and announce a halo blow out event in like august or september.

yes people would be disappointed to not get to see more but i would've been much better than making your flagship title into a meme.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is this forum so toxic towards people going to great lengths to enlighten and educate an audience about games? It's absurd to blame creators for not being warrior enough for you. Make your own video, these are talking points that creators felt compelled to speak about, and did so. Thank you Dictator , you and the rest of DF are a blessing.

Mula

Banned
Jan 18, 2019
Thanks

They, hummm, don't look impressive
halo-infinite-2020_ascension_demo_campaign_10_4k-fafc3967fd0444c590a54835104fa01d.png

halo-infinite-2020_ascension_demo_campaign_07_4k-8595a857ae0942ffb6fce8677fe65360.png

This is specially, I tought it was photoshoped when I saw someone comparing to LEGO.
I understand what Alex says about indirect lighting, but this game doesn't look too hot with indirect or direct lighting. I think it's great what he says about resolution devs shouldn't have to worry about resolution, just that the game looks good. Is it really native 4k or do some parts have a lower resolution?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Great video as always Dictator (hope I am tagging right person)!

Looking fwd to how 343 fixes things with all this feedback.
yeah, just watched it. really explains so much. I didn't even know they were going with real time lighting and according to Alex that is quite resource heavy. The game should probably look much better at launch then. Thanks again Alex for such an amazing and informative video.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely don't think it will happen because I dont' think Microsoft want to respond honestly. They have been very dismissive, with their only real defense being "well it's 4K open world at 60 fps" and "did you see the 4K stream" when literally everyone has already.

I just don't think Microsoft would do the interview, and if they did, I think they would dodge questions, because that is exactly what they've been doing.

I never said whether I think it will happen just that I would like it to happen. Practically all of Microsoft's internal studios have switched to Unreal Engine, so I think it is interesting to get 343i take on why they made the decision to build their own engine and what are the strengths of the engine.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
You say it like such disclaimer matters something on forums...
Giving zero pre-explanation and throwing your flagship to the sharks sure wasn't the better alternative.

Then Greenberg coming out after with "it was a WIP build running on a PC" was like hosing napalm onto a house fire.

At least a "This is Pre-Alpha Footage" would inform your audience. Logical people could take a deep breath and wait for improvements. Zero disclaimer, 4 months from release, usually means we're seeing the real deal, and people took it that way.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
For better or worse, one thing I noticed is how materials for armor for elites, brutes and grunts look very similar insofar as roughness and albedo are concerned. It is the same with their weapons too. Theirs looks metallic with notable sheen as opposed to MC's carbine and sidearm that look like they were of polymer origin.

The good is that perhaps this is to draw attention to unified design paradigm that distinguishes the Banished. The bad is that in the day and age of PBR, Halo's materials look nebulous- an aspect I noticed with H5 and H4 (which made sense given PBR was not part of 360's vfx pipeline).

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Thanks

They, hummm, don't look impressive
halo-infinite-2020_ascension_demo_campaign_10_4k-fafc3967fd0444c590a54835104fa01d.png

halo-infinite-2020_ascension_demo_campaign_07_4k-8595a857ae0942ffb6fce8677fe65360.png

This is specially, I tought it was photoshoped when I saw someone comparing to LEGO.
Yeah, Halo has always had a very 'gamey' look and art design that really runs the risk of looking a bit too "infantile" sci-fi. I think this could've been avoided with more realistic lighting, materials, etc. With what we got, it does look very Lego like, very plasticky.

Having said that, gameplay for me is the most important and the more I see it the more I like it and even though I never played a Halo game before, I'm really looking forward to this one.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Giving zero pre-explanation and throwing your flagship to the sharks sure wasn't the better alternative.

Then Greenberg coming out after with "it was a WIP build running on a PC" was like hosing napalm onto a house fire.

At least a "This is Pre-Alpha Footage" would inform your audience. Logical people could take a deep breath and wait for improvements. Zero disclaimer, 4 months from release, usually means we're seeing the real deal, and people took it that way.
Yeah like they didn't even bother saying this was on PC WIP, and/or pre alpha etc Sony conference they were extremely clear that 1. Everything was captured on PS5 and labeled a game like R&C as pre alpha.

like this stuff should be standard.

Dec 26, 2019
Yeah, Halo has always had a very 'gamey' look and art design that really runs the risk of looking a bit too "infantile" sci-fi. I think this could've been avoided with more realistic lighting, materials, etc. With what we got, it does look very Lego like, very plasticky.

Having said that, gameplay for me is the most important and the more I see it the more I like it and even though I never played a Halo game before, I'm really looking forward to this one.
Making the skin not look like plastic would probably require sub surface scattering and that doesn't come for free. Not saying it's not possible, but they also have to run on an Xbox One still.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah like they didn't even bother saying this was on PC WIP, and/or pre alpha etc Sony conference they were extremely clear that 1. Everything was captured on PS5 and labeled a game like R&C as pre alpha.

IMHO, what makes it worse is them saying the game was build from the ground-up for Series X literally right after the demo.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, adding a disclaimer saying "Old Build of Work In Progress game" would have raised awkward questions about exactly why that was all Microsoft were able to show four months before launch (and maybe it's not even that long), but those questions would still be preferable to the awkward questions Microsoft are now fielding about why their first gameplay demo of their flagship product on their new flagship hardware looked pretty underwhelming, and wasn't even running on that flagship hardware.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
metro can do RTX global illumination at 1440p 60 fps on a rtx 2080. xsx is just as powerful as a 2080 when they did the gears 5 benchmark.

its definitely doable and worse case scenario they can always use dynamic resolution to keep the fps at 60 fps.
I think dynamic resolution is absolutely perfect for this, we don't NEED 4k anyway, could do checkerboarding if you keep the 60fps

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Making the skin not look like plastic would probably require sub surface scattering and that doesn't come for free. Not saying it's not possible, but they also have to run on an Xbox One still.
Yeah but what i don't get is, aren't a lot of these effects switchable in modern engines? Can't the same game have certain graphical features, high LOD models, high res textures be limited too higher spec PCs and series X? I'm definitely the most ignorant person in the internet when it comes to how graphic engines work but i always assumed that you can do all these things. I mean, look at a graphical menu in PCs today, there's so many options and you can get a game look amazing or look like crap. If they made an engine that only allows for a series X to squeeze this visuals then it can't be a good engine.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
People actually believe this's an old build and it's gonna look much better in 4 months? ehh I hope so, but that seems far fetched. The game will be releases in a very similar shape to what we saw. I hope one day we get to hear what went through the development of the game because there's no way the game that made Halo 4 and 5 can't make a much better looking game on XSX even if it was cross gen.

Oct 27, 2017

I wish the industry would standardize this completely and be more transparent with everything they show. It would go a long way to set expectations clear for everyone. Something along the lines of labeling videos with the following disclaimers at the start of the video:

"Target footage" - For a title that's still in production/hasn't gone into production yet, this would be used for the visual fidelity the devs are "hoping" to achieve in the finished product.
"Game development early in production. Gameplay footage not ready to be shown" - Inserting this at the start of many of the Series X videos from the recent Series X showcase would be a good use of this.
"Footage captured from x% build" - If gameplay footage is captured from a 50% build, state that, so we know that footage is captured from a game that is only halfway complete. In the case of Halo Infinite, let's say they're only 70% done with development.
Etc, etc.

Essentially, being transparent with what is being shown would go a long way in making the consumer understand what they are seeing and so that expectations are set correctly.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Still think alot of this is artistic approach regarding very plain/clean designs. Game doesnt appear to be going for ultra realistic materials. Thats clearly a choice.

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
You can have clean styling still look good. What we've seen just doesn't consistently come together well at all.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There was a crispness that the initial Infinite/new engine trailer had that's missing here, definitely.

By comparison the new gameplay looks pasty and smudged, if that makes sense. Lower res assets/textures?

IDK, still looks fun as fuck though.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

I think the Halo games have had an action figure like aesthetic since 2. I love it personally and think it fits great. I don't think that's what's wrong with the new look though.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
No it isn't. If you want to create an immersive experience fidelity is a huge part of that.
that's subjective though, which is my point. the problem is with the chosen art styling then, not with technical details. all this whinging is a bit annoying when it's not the final product and it's all from a short demo.

if it's shite, it's shite. but the hyperbole is too much

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I can write some text for graphics analysis videos that would satisfy people like that dude from couple of pages ago.

"LOL Halo graphics suck, looks last gen, lol Craig, so much for all the teraflops lol"

Hire me DF

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
You can have clean styling still look good. What we've seen just doesn't consistently come together well at all.

This. The learnings from this video show that the issues people have with the graphics are due to a technical oversight. Details literally disappear when in the wrong context, probably due to the rush to get this out on both platforms. As the comparison shots from other games show, this art style will probably reach its full potential once the ray tracing next gen patch arrives. Until then, the games artistic style is compromised. "Clean" isn't the issue, they're still clean when properly lit and are quite nice.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I wish the industry would standardize this completely and be more transparent with everything they show. It would go a long way to set expectations clear for everyone. Something along the lines of labeling videos with the following disclaimers at the start of the video:

"Target footage" - For a title that's still in production/hasn't gone into production yet, this would be used for the visual fidelity the devs are "hoping" to achieve in the finished product.
"Game development early in production. Gameplay footage not ready to be shown" - Inserting this at the start of many of the Series X videos from the recent Series X showcase would be a good use of this.
"Footage captured from x% build" - If gameplay footage is captured from a 50% build, state that, so we know that footage is captured from a game that is only halfway complete. In the case of Halo Infinite, let's say they're only 70% done with development.
Etc, etc.

Essentially, being transparent with what is being shown would go a long way in making the consumer understand what they are seeing and so that expectations are set correctly.
Hell yes it would totally reduce the downgrade crap we continually have. Also I see where Sony kind of learned their lesson and only show games further in development which reduced some of the downgrade talk. It would be good to just be transparent about these things.
IMHO, what makes it worse is them saying the game was build from the ground-up for Series X literally right after the demo.
yeah like what. At this point it's safe to assume they pretty much have PC as their dev kit since all their games are guaranteed to be on PC.

Dec 26, 2019
Yeah but what i don't get is, aren't a lot of these effects switchable in modern engines? Can't the same game have certain graphical features, high LOD models, high res textures be limited too higher spec PCs and series X?
You can, but you are underestimating how much work that is. Art is by far the most manpower any project needs. People might work on a character for weeks. Reducing poly count on characters is relatively easy, because it's not hard surface geometry, but if you want more elaborate shading you also need to adjust the material textures. Lighting artists then need to make sure that all variants work with their lighting setups. On top of that quality assurance would have to test all the variants, management has to sign off on them etc. I can't remember a AAA production which ever did this. It's just out of the question and you make assets that work on the lowest spec platform.

This is also why Lockhart - if it's real - is such a dumb idea in my opinion, but that's a slightly different topic.

Last edited:

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
There was a crispness that the initial Infinite/new engine trailer had that's missing here, definitely.

By comparison the new gameplay looks pasty and smudged, if that makes sense. Lower res assets/textures?

IDK, still looks fun as fuck though.
It reminds me of games in Unreal 4 that have loads of temporal AA. It has that same super soft look to it, where any fine detail is lost in layers of blur.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017

What made it worse is that it's revealed as what we should expect on the XBSX. That makes it even worse for sure.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Only if it is some sort of ray traced global illumination. If it is, for example, ray traced reflections, it will do nothing about the perceived flatness of the lighting.

According to Cerny (I take it we all trust his words on this forum), RT GI should be the cheapest graphics related RT you can do. Makes sense since you can fake great looking GI on current gen consoles already.

qs9HDLo.png

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching a video of all the things that weren't mentioned in the DF video. The aircraft frozen in the air and only moving a few frames after it's in view of the camera, blew my mind haha. I did not notice that.