• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I think comparing the two is unfair. Halo and the ND games have very different targets and expectations.

People here are expecting 343i to achieve the same level of graphics as ND while still also achieving everything the Halo fan base expects from SP and MP (which is far more than it's mere existence - Forge, customs, arena, BTB, campaign, 30 seconds of fun, AI, gunplay, vehicles, co-op, splitscreen, Firefight......). And if they don't achieve in any one of those things they get a torrent of shit from fans and people who never intended to play it anyway.

And then they expect it to do more and be more modern than the previous game (while simultaneously not doing anything new!)
My problem is that the gameplay doesn't even look better than Halo 2 Anniversary.I

Been replaying it for a bit and Infinite comparable to H2A but with lower quality settings.

Squall93

Oct 29, 2017
Paris
Digital Foundry is not talking about an element that is quite obvious:

HaloVRS.jpg

Many elements in the image are in low-res. These are not mipmap differences. We can clearly see that it's low-res in the screen space at the shader level.
It looks a lot like VRS 3x3.

This raises a lot of questions. Microsoft is the only one to speak intently of native 4K to market these games. They are the only ones to put this notion of "native" forward, whereas this notion no longer has any meaning as the image compositions are so complex and composite.
It would be pretty comical if Microsoft were overselling native 4K on these games when they heavily use VRS.

The VRS is the same approach as the dynamic resolution, one is temporal, the other is spatial, but it is the same objective in the end: to reduce the resolution to distribute the load (the VRS offering just more freedom).
Except that dynamic 4K is not used to inject 720p behind.

It would be absurd that a game that injects 720p everywhere in the image via the VRS could be labeled "native 4K" while a dynamic resolution game that goes down to 1440p cannot.
As long as you use VRS, the "native 4K" label shouldn't have its place (a label that doesn't make sense anyway).

Today, the most relevant is to see the overall quality of the result on the screen.

The question that remains is: is this really VRS 3x3 or some other technique? Or a mixture of several things?

HaloVRS2.jpg

Source : Quaz51 / Upsilandre
It's the Quaz51 famous for the big reveal of Halo 3's resolution

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck does anyone get salty over this analysis? It was a great video. Very informative.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Yep, I went from initially understanding it to despising it.

Cross gen needs to be dropped. It's not like the Xbox one is particularly popular... who cares if it's dropped.

Halo Infinite is direct proof that cross gen games look considerably worse.

Nothing about this looks next gen. Destiny 2 is more impressive in every way.
they refused to crunch their teams during covid and used an old build. the game will look fantastic at launch, I believe this because 343 is yet to ship something that hasn't looked great for the hardware it was on.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like slow level of detail the texture hasn't fully loaded in. As Alex said 3x3 isn't supported by Series X.

I wonder if some elements - more distant elements for example - are rendered to a lower resolution buffer, and then composited in.

Haven't Halo engines in the past done things with temporal resolution at different distances? Maybe there's something similar here but for spatial resolution.

Not sure why they wouldn't just go for a more general dynamic res solution though. Maybe they want to preserve resolution on near-field surfaces more consistently.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Dictator Do you think that a drop to 1440p would allow the Series X to achieve global raytracing? Do you think that global illumination is even possible at 1080p, based on the specs we have of the GPU? Or would they need to focus ourely on non reflection raytracing, etc?

Surely a drop to 1440p would allow to bump up LOD, take care of pop in, flesh out some textures.

I wish for a dynamic resolution akin to the recent Halo games, that could allow them to really push other aspects of the graphics. If i recall correctly, I think that you or someone else did a video about Halo 5s dynamic resolution, and the consensus was that it is pretty great, no?

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
I wonder if some elements - more distant elements for example - are rendered to a lower resolution buffer, and then composited in.

Haven't Halo engines in the past done things with temporal resolution at different distances? Maybe there's something similar here but for spatial resolution.

Not sure why they wouldn't just go for a more general dynamic res solution though. Maybe they want to preserve resolution on near-field surfaces more consistently.
I have no clue, something is odd though with this given they are official screenshots. I just have a feeling the game is behind schedule lots of unfinished textures maybe?

Kinn

Oct 28, 2017
What can 343 do to improve the visuals within the current time frame if delaying is not an option? Drop the resolution to improve pop in seems possible. RT is coming later in a patch post launch. Are there any other avenues to improve the graphics (and hopefully not just more crunch period).

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
What can 343 do to improve the visuals within the current time frame if delaying is not an option? Drop the resolution to improve pop in seems possible. RT is coming later in a patch post launch. Are there any other avenues to imrprove the graphics (and hopefully not just more crunch period).
10 year project they can just keep improving it over time no?

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
There's really weird near-camera foliage popping with camera rotation that almost looks like messed up clipping planes. Except other geometry is rendering fine. Maybe the foliage is on a different camera/render target with wonky clipping parameters. That could be an easier fix than the more distant pop-in anyway.
Yup, it was wonky.
Like culling or spawning was done with center of grass clump instead of the final size of the quad.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, lighting I get but what about everything else?

The textures, the animations, the clipping, the pop in, obvious downgrade from the 2018/2019 trailers?

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, lighting I get but what about everything else?

The textures, the animations, the clipping, the pop in, obvious downgrade from the 2018/2019 trailers?

What's wrong with the animations? The death animations look great, as well as stuff like the Brute stumbling from leg shots.

Bungie has that down pat more than 343 imo. Halo Infinite looks old in comparison.

Bungie's gameplay is great, but that doesn't mean 343 isn't right there with them. 343 is head and shoulders above them in multiplayer design currently.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
There's really weird near-camera foliage popping with camera rotation that almost looks like messed up clipping planes. Except other geometry is rendering fine. Maybe the foliage is on a different camera/render target with wonky clipping parameters. That could be an easier fix than the more distant pop-in anyway.

I may be off here but maybe it is manually tuned for a specific FOV (60) and the FOV in the demo is higher than that (90) which brings the clipping into view when it would normally happen off screen.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The ban on this azertydu91 character should be permanent. Enough with allowing people to harass others.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
There will always be engine limitations. It will all depend on what Slipspace is capable of.

I would love for DF to do an interview with 343i about the Slipspace engine and find out what it is truly capable of.

Also, I cannot believe people are harassing DF. I always find their work of high standard and they never express any bias. They just want to see cool tech and write about it.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
What's wrong with the animations? The death animations look great, as well as stuff like the Brute stumbling from leg shots.
Might be the models themselves that makes it so but I felt like animations were stiff during the cutscenes. The gameplay segments were fine and look great.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bungie has that down pat more than 343 imo. Halo Infinite looks old in comparison.
Why would you think I'm talking about the gameplay of a game that's not even out yet? I was basing it off Halo 5, 343i proved with Halo 5 that they can deliver great gameplay. And does Destiny having "better" gameplay knock Halo 5's gameplay mechanics down a couple of notches below "best in class"? Only one game can exist in the category or what are you saying?
And gameplay that "looks old"... what even is that.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Dictator You and the rest of the DF crew do fantastic work. Don't let the naysayers get to you.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Not if they're just going to have super sterile PR talking points and "10 times the processing power per pixel" nonsense.

Let's be honest, do you see Richard and the crew falling for that BS? You can bet they would question further as to what the hell that is supposed to mean for example.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest, do you see Richard and the crew falling for that BS? You can bet they would question further as to what the hell that is supposed to mean for example.

I genuinely don't think it will happen because I dont' think Microsoft want to respond honestly. They have been very dismissive, with their only real defense being "well it's 4K open world at 60 fps" and "did you see the 4K stream" when literally everyone has already.

I just don't think Microsoft would do the interview, and if they did, I think they would dodge questions, because that is exactly what they've been doing.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I m sure his pixel counting video will come soon. For rc and gt7 it took him 3 days or so. So still time left to get the pixel counting video of halo infinite.look forward to his pixel counting video to see whats happening with the trailer and background .
they already did the pixel counts and found that everything shown at the conference was native 4k. just like the ps5 conference.

looks like both sony and MS came prepared for DF which is hilarious because now DF is saying we dont want native 4k.

I think DF needs to change the way they analyse games. I think pixel counting needs to be out from all future videos. It's simply not worth it. Same goes for framerates unless they are really bad like Control or the RE3 x1x version. If a game is dropping a frame or two every now and then i'd argue it doesnt need to be mentioned. if a ps5 game is dynamic 4k and the xsx version is locked 4k, it doesnt need to be mentioned.

This kind of video is exactly whats needed. Alex was able to breakdown why the game looks flat, and what they can do to fix it. I think MS needs to delay the game and do exactly what Alex suggested asap. You dont need to pixel count to see if a game looks underwhelming.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dictator Do you think that a drop to 1440p would allow the Series X to achieve global raytracing? Do you think that global illumination is even possible at 1080p, based on the specs we have of the GPU? Or would they need to focus ourely on non reflection raytracing, etc?

Surely a drop to 1440p would allow to bump up LOD, take care of pop in, flesh out some textures.

I wish for a dynamic resolution akin to the recent Halo games, that could allow them to really push other aspects of the graphics. If i recall correctly, I think that you or someone else did a video about Halo 5s dynamic resolution, and the consensus was that it is pretty great, no?
metro can do RTX global illumination at 1440p 60 fps on a rtx 2080. xsx is just as powerful as a 2080 when they did the gears 5 benchmark.

its definitely doable and worse case scenario they can always use dynamic resolution to keep the fps at 60 fps.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
WTF happened here !? fantastic work by Alex and Digital Foundry, I hope they continue to make great content and and continue to post here.

Last edited:

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018
I may be off here but maybe it is manually tuned for a specific FOV (60) and the FOV in the demo is higher than that (90) which brings the clipping into view when it would normally happen off screen.

it seemed to me that they were doing something with the screen space. It seems that when you don't see the root of the vegetation it disappears.

EDIT. DF i love your videos. Keep doing them!

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Alex's stuff is a little too in the weeds for my layman brain sometimes but I found this video to be very enlightening. I thought the presentation looked impressive but I can totally see what he means when he says the game looks a bit flat in spots.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
If it was such an early build, how come no one came out and said so? Obviously it's going to be an older build no matter what, but if it's significantly older(like 6-7 months) wouldn't you think someone would mention it somewhere?

I really do hope it's a really old build, but i'm not sure I believe it.

LazerRanger

Oct 28, 2017
Want to add to the appreciation for this video and all of Digital Foundry team.

I'm really baffled Microsoft didn't know that this footage would be considered so underwhelming.

Oct 27, 2017
As I've said before, this still doesn't explain why they clipped the trailer footage from the demo. The build trailers use doesn't have to run perfectly. It can be scripted, it can crash and be restarted till they get what they want, etc. This is why I think the game's current build and final build won't look much better...

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it was such an early build, how come no one came out and said so? Obviously it's going to be an older build no matter what, but if it's significantly older(like 6-7 months) wouldn't you think someone would mention it somewhere?

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt considering the pandemic, but I'm not expecting huge improvements either.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Not having a simple "alpha footage/work in progress" disclaimer on the video was a brain dead oversight.