• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
So a friend sent me another video, saying that the 2018 trailer was actually made in UE4, but they switched to Slipspace afterwards and scaled a bunch of stuff back to target the (underpowered in 2013) Xbox One.
I've heard that rumor but I have a hard time believing it considering they started engine development before then, and what they showed was running on an XSX equivalent PC, so whatever they made doesn't seem to be scaling well yet.

I do wonder why they didn't just use Unreal though given how much experience other studios had with it. Coalition and Ninja Theory do incredible work there and would've been a great help, plus it's easier to hire talent for non-proprietary engines.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
So a friend sent me another video, saying that the 2018 trailer was actually made in UE4, but they switched to Slipspace afterwards and scaled a bunch of stuff back to target the (underpowered in 2013) Xbox One.
I don't think that's the case.
They did considered UE4 in the past before deciding to develop slipspace. As far as I remember that announcement trailer was in conjunction with slipspace engine announcement and they mentioned the name around that time.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Digital Foundry is not talking about an element that is quite obvious:

HaloVRS.jpg

Many elements in the image are in low-res. These are not mipmap differences. We can clearly see that it's low-res in the screen space at the shader level.
It looks a lot like VRS 3x3.

This raises a lot of questions. Microsoft is the only one to speak intently of native 4K to market these games. They are the only ones to put this notion of "native" forward, whereas this notion no longer has any meaning as the image compositions are so complex and composite.
It would be pretty comical if Microsoft were overselling native 4K on these games when they heavily use VRS.

The VRS is the same approach as the dynamic resolution, one is temporal, the other is spatial, but it is the same objective in the end: to reduce the resolution to distribute the load (the VRS offering just more freedom).
Except that dynamic 4K is not used to inject 720p behind.

It would be absurd that a game that injects 720p everywhere in the image via the VRS could be labeled "native 4K" while a dynamic resolution game that goes down to 1440p cannot.
As long as you use VRS, the "native 4K" label shouldn't have its place (a label that doesn't make sense anyway).

Today, the most relevant is to see the overall quality of the result on the screen.

The question that remains is: is this really VRS 3x3 or some other technique? Or a mixture of several things?

HaloVRS2.jpg

Source : Quaz51 / Upsilandre
The XSX does not Support 3x3 - I know from direct sources. So I am not sure what to say.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I do think it's more than just the dynamic light. The art assets are not great., the beard guy face doest even look as good as halo 4 which is from the same studio even.

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017

HaloVRS.jpg

Many elements in the image are in low-res. These are not mipmap differences. We can clearly see that it's low-res in the screen space at the shader level.

This raises a lot of questions. Microsoft is the only one to speak intently of native 4K to market these games. They are the only ones to put this notion of "native" forward, whereas this notion no longer has any meaning as the image compositions are so complex and composite.
It would be pretty comical if Microsoft were overselling native 4K on these games when they heavily use VRS.

The VRS is the same approach as the dynamic resolution, one is temporal, the other is spatial, but it is the same objective in the end: to reduce the resolution to distribute the load (the VRS offering just more freedom).

It would be absurd that a game that injects 720p everywhere in the image via the VRS could be labeled "native 4K" while a dynamic resolution game that goes down to 1440p cannot.
As long as you use VRS, the "native 4K" label shouldn't have its place (a label that doesn't make sense anyway).

Today, the most relevant is to see the overall quality of the result on the screen.

The question that remains is: is this really VRS 3x3 or some other technique? Or a mixture of several things?

HaloVRS2.jpg

Holy shit why are there so many concessions? Damn

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Great video! I want to see what the game would look like with ray tracing to see how much that improves the look, because it did indeed look really bad in the demo they gave. Hell, I'd like to see the same demo in the morning, at noon, and at night to see how time of day affects it. I think overall, one of the main things that's missing is having lights and other dynamic light sources on the enemies' armor, and having the energy shields and swords really glow and provide light that other enemies cast shadows from, just general "next gen" kind of stuff. Unfortunately, given the lack of these light sources and the relative sparseness of the world as shown so far, even a good ray tracing solution won't add the level of crazy light and shadow effects I crave.
Aiming for native 4k was clearly a mistake, but at least they're sticking to a solid 60fps like they did with Halo 5. Frame rate >>> pretties > native 4k
On another note, sadly, all of the cool next gen effects in the world won't save us from the awful art direction of the muppet Brutes. What was wrong with how they looked in H2A? They look like complete shit now :(

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Supporting the Xbox One was Phil's biggest mistake. No one would have blamed him if he didn't.

marecki

Aug 2, 2018
It can end up being a fun FPS but this reveal just screams low budget, very surprising for a flagship franchise.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Supporting the Xbox One was Phil's biggest mistake. No one would have blamed him if he didn't.
Yep, I went from initially understanding it to despising it.

Cross gen needs to be dropped. It's not like the Xbox one is particularly popular... who cares if it's dropped.

Halo Infinite is direct proof that cross gen games look considerably worse.

Nothing about this looks next gen. Destiny 2 is more impressive in every way.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, its not a bad idea really. Infinite was built originally for XBone so that argument just doesnt make sense here.

Having 60 FPS on those shitty specs ruins everything else and completely hampers creativity/ambition.

Folks either need to buy the new stuff or play the old.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Having 60 FPS on those shitty specs ruins everything else and completely hampers creativity/ambition.

Folks either need to buy the new stuff or play the old.

I'm sure Infinite will probably be running at 60 using dynamic res at like 720p most of the time on an OG XBone. You can argue this for upcoming games, but Infinite isn't one of them since it began production well before the One X let alone the Series X were announced.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

HaloVRS.jpg

HaloVRS2.jpg

I have no knowledge of this stuff but those images don't inspire much confidence. Infinite is looking real rough.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Infinite will probably be running at 60 using dynamic res at like 720p most of the time on an OG XBone. You can argue this for upcoming games, but Infinite isn't one of them since it began production well before the One X let alone the Series X were announced.

They had time to correct course. Actually think the trailer in 2018 was supposed to show a next gen Halo game and Phil decided to keep One support.

Wouldn't be surprised if they went back and forth on that.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
100% agree. As you've stated they've got to build hype 1 or 2 yrs leading up to release, so how do you do that when you have nothing to show. Typically most studios either show us CGI trailers or "in-engine" cut-scenes, specifically developed to.convey art direction, scope, story beats etc... and in 343i case they at least showed us what their new engine looked like. Someone else pointed out to me that DICE star wars battle front in-engine gameplay trailer and final gameplay - whilst there was a difference - looked very close. I think they showed it a year out.

It's just unfortunate, that the ambition and scope combined with a brand new engine appears to have then behind schedule. The demo looked buggy and missing lots of tech/animations one would expect from a near complete product. We've heard other studios are helping out, and I think the problem has been exasperated with the world wide pandemic.
Do they have to build hype 1-2 years before release? Couldn't they hype it up 6 months before release? Or 3?
Sony got criticized a lot for showing games years before release, maybe Microsoft should be that as well.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

HaloVRS.jpg

HaloVRS2.jpg

It seems like they don't have any sort of filtering on the VRS portions leading to a very obvious looking low resolution image.

Although from what I understand, I'd say VRS is a little more than just spatial dynamic resolution as it the quality/resolution of pixel shaders themseleves that's lowered rather than the resolution of the opaque geometry i.e. the models that make up the scene.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018

HaloVRS.jpg

HaloVRS2.jpg

That's a pretty big thing that DF seemingly forgot or didn't talk about.
As time goes by, I find that their graphic analysis aren't that "complete" anymore.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
1 million subscribers at $15 monthly?
Mass economics are big...
There are a ton of games waiting for a cut from that.
I really just know that gaming has become a lot cheaper for me since I jumped in on Game Pass. And I play more than ever. But maybe it has became more expensive for someone else idk 🤷‍♂️

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
As time goes by, I find that their graphic analysis aren't that "complete" anymore.
I actually think DF was pretty lenient with the graphics criticism, bu then I guess Alex objective was to explain the lighting issues with great detail and he managed to achieve that.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

i think this particular DF video we are discussion was specifically about "why does halo infinite look so flat?". there was no pixel counting at all, i'd imagine there will be another video discussion that sort of typical DF analysis

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Most of the video seem's to be centered around lighting and engine scaling .
I think it should have covered a bit on the lack of detail in the environment. The trees , grass and hills looked really disappointing for me.
This should have been the game for next gen introduction from Microsoft instead it looked set to be stuck in last gen.

Mar 20, 2020
Yep, I went from initially understanding it to despising it.

Cross gen needs to be dropped. It's not like the Xbox one is particularly popular... who cares if it's dropped.

Halo Infinite is direct proof that cross gen games look considerably worse.

Nothing about this looks next gen. Destiny 2 is more impressive in every way.

I think 50.million xboxes are out there. I believe the majority being base consoles? That's a fair number of users to ignore, perhaps. Whilst we folks here in these forums lament the lack of next-gen features in Halo Infinite, the vast majority just want or expect a great Halo game. Which I believe it still can be as we've not seen enough of it yet.

I always knew that being a cross-gen games which started development in 2015, was always going to be a double edge sword if they stuck with base console. There were a number of ways they could have approached multi-SKU development and done the XBSX version reasonable justice for a cross-gen launch title.

I do think as I've said elsewhere, there appears to be some development issues with this games for it to be in the state it appears to be after 5 yrs, even taking into account a new graphics engine.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I think 50.million xboxes are out there. I believe the majority being base consoles? That's a fair number of users to ignore, perhaps. Whilst we folks here in these forums lament the lack of next-gen features in Halo Infinite, the vast majority just want or expect a great Halo game. Which I believe it still can be as we've not seen enough of it yet.

I always knew that being a cross-gen games which started development in 2015, was always going to be a double edge sword if they stuck with base console. There were a number of ways they could have approached multi-SKU development and done the XBSX version reasonable justice for a cross-gen launch title.

I do think as I've said elsewhere, there appears to be some development issues with this games for it to be in the state it appears to be after 5 yrs, even taking into account a new graphics engine.
I just don't think there's any excuse for a game in dev for 5 years and 100s of millions of dollars on a new engine.

Cross gen is not doing Xbox any favors and these is yet another nail in Halos coffin.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
We arent going to look for vrs in compressed Video (compression makes false negative Identifikation), nor are we going to look for 3x3 Pixel modes that no PC gpu supports nor XSX supports. There is no 3x3 Pixel Mode like that post mention on any GPU out there, not a Single one.
Your comment about our Analyse being less than complete has no ground to stand on.

Steven135

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
We arent going to look for vrs in compressed Video (compression makes false negative Identifikation), nor are we going to look for 3x3 Pixel modes that no PC gpu supports nor XSX supports. There is no 3x3 Pixel Mode like that post mention on any GPU out there, not a Single one.
Your comment about our Analyse being less than complete has no ground to stand on.

Any idea of the technique that was used then?

For information, the images posted before (where we can see low-res elements in 720p) come from the press-kit provided by Microsoft. These are direct-feed images.

All this to say that talking about native 4K no longer makes any sense. Microsoft is making a mistake by locking itself in this way.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020
I just don't think there's any excuse for a game in dev for 5 years and 100s of millions of dollars on a new engine.

Cross gen is not doing Xbox any favors and these is yet another nail in Halos coffin.

I get what you are saying and appreciate your point of view. Personally I still expect good things from Halo Infinite. Its a broad package with many different aspects to it.

Hopefully, it proves to be better in those areas such as story, character, and gameplay which should allow it to redeem itself somewhat. But yes I think perception of the game had been somewhat dulled.

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe his comment wasn't in the best light to be appreciated?
Maybe a lot of us can feel that you went in really soft in the Halo video compared to a lot of other videos.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Well, this was running on PC.
No PC GPU supports 3x3 Pixel modes either, so, yeah.
Any idea of the technique that was used then?

For information, the images posted before (where we can see low-res elements in 720p) come from the press-kit provided by Microsoft. These are direct-feed images.
It could be anything as you cannot source the actual quality of pixels in shots or what happened between their Release. Consider Ing the subjective quality of shots MS released for this game, and that they have not even provided uncrompressed Video to the press, I am not comfortable with making VRS claims for anything. The quality is just not there to make a verifiable claim.
Especially for a 3X3 Pixel Mode that no GPU supports.
Maybe his comment wasn't in the best light to be appreciated?
Maybe a lot of us can feel that you went in really soft in the Halo video compared to a lot of other videos.
This is the worst comment I have read in this thread perhaps - if you honestly think this video is damage control, going easy, or excusing something than you are probably delusional. This is one of the most sobering aand hardcore technical Videos I have ever made that pretty much only said negative things. We have never produced a video like this where we look at a game Trailer and say all the things wrong with it. If you think that explaining why something looks flat and bad is damage control, then you have no idea how academic critque works.

Last edited:

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I get what you are saying and appreciate your point of view. Personally I still expect good things from Halo Infinite. Its a broad package with many different aspects to it.

Hopefully, it proves to be better in those areas such as story, character, and gameplay which should allow it to redeem itself somewhat. But yes I think perception of the game had been somewhat dulled.
I do have hope that the story, writing and characters will be infinitely better than 5. And the gameplay I agree looks like a blast. I just was expecting more of a revolution on a new engine. Like Halo physics in a next generation... idk.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020

HaloVRS.jpg

HaloVRS2.jpg

Looks like slow level of detail the texture hasn't fully loaded in. As Alex said 3x3 isn't supported by Series X.

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
This is the worst comment I have read in this thread perhaps - if you honestly think this video is damage control, going easy, or excusing something than you are probably delusional. This is one of the most sobering aand hardcore technical Videos I have ever made that pretty much only said negative things. We have never produced a video like this where we look at a game Trailer and say all the things wrong with it. If you think that explaining why something looks flat and bad is damage control, then you have no idea how academic critque works.
Your mistake was thinking Console warriors care about academic critique. But rest assured that it was very good work Alex. Don't let all the warring get to you, keep it up.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It could be anything as you cannot source the actual quality of pixels in shots or what happened between their Release. Consider Ing the subjective quality of shots MS released for this game, and that they have not even provided uncrompressed Video to the press, I am not comfortable with making VRS claims for anything. The quality is just not there to make a verifiable claim.
Honest to god I don't know how you and your coworkers still have the patience to post here, sometimes. If you don't call a game "The best piece of art created in human history" or "The biggest atrocity ever created by human hands" then to some posters you're just shills trying to bring down or protect a company that poster doesn't like.

Your all's critiques and breakdowns are consistently well done and much appreciated. I don't typically get too concerned with nitty gritty details of games but I appreciate the educated analyses you all bring. Keep doing amazing work 👍🏻👍🏻

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Holy shit why are there so many concessions? Damn

This is what happens when you go dynamic lighting + large open world.

Concessions HAVE to be made, either due to developmental concerns or performance ones, or most likely, both.

You can't have a game that looks like TLOU2 with dynamic lighting and large open world areas. You need to make it a pretty corridor, just like in TLOU2.

The question is: could they have done better? Is there a better middle ground here to be had. I think the answer is probably yes, but ONLY if they weren't also chasing 60 FPS and native 4k on a console.

I think the reaction is pretty clear as to what people actually prefer from their console games. They wan't graphics candy, not performance, this is why consoles are unlikely to feature 60 FPs in most of their games, especially as the generation gets older.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
I thought it was a brilliant analysis and went into a lot of detail, so thank you kindly.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the replies in here are unbelievable. Between here and B3D, console warriors have been on Alex's ass today. I don't understand why some of you don't simply defer to someone who knows more than you, much less give the benefit of the doubt.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Like I said on B3D it comes from direct feed screenshot and Quaz51 knows VRS 3x3 doesn't exist this is why he was surprised. It is maybe something else but this is visible on direct feed screenshot.

Quaz51 knows Richard Leadbetter and was the first person to pixel count games and the first one to discover the resolution of Halo 3. He will never pixel count something on non-direct feed screenshot.

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017
There are a ton of games waiting for a cut from that.
I really just know that gaming has become a lot cheaper for me since I jumped in on Game Pass. And I play more than ever. But maybe it has became more expensive for someone else idk 🤷‍♂️

1 million were an example.
It looks like there actually are 10 million for $10 monthly.

That is $100 million per month, can be shared on a number of games.

This money is also low risk, if they were to sell Halo a wieving like this could make half the potential buyers go away.

But all publishers will want their share, building their own services. Total price for consumers will go upp, many will need to select one.