• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
The better lighting looks good and higher resolution textures. But for the rest its not that impressive, the game already looked good. And the dynamic resolution is expected if you see what they added, its a lot.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So are these enhancements considered part of the BC program, an XSX patch, or an XSX port?
I'm guessing that since it's still not using velocity architecture, it's still considered to be part of the BC program. Sounds to me like you can still play it off of an external drive (which you can't with native XSX / XSS games)

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
no it is not running ultra settings. it is running things beyond what is available for the pc version
It is PCs ultra settings + turning the particle slide to 150% (something that can be done on PC) + SSGI (not on PC) + new textures for cone step mapping (not on PC) + Screen-Space contact shadows (not on PC).

Last edited:

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty dissapointed to hear they still couldnt hit locked 4k tbh. I guess i overestimated how powerful this console was

The reality of having a game which can achieve a locked 4K at a locked framerate is that it's not utilising most of the power of the console most of the time. There are always going to be frames that cost more than others, moments that cost more than others, areas of the game that cost more than others. To 'lock' 4K requires that you have masses of room to spare which generally mean you aren't pushing your graphics as hard as they could be. Dynamic resolution is a really good way of handling this that is rarely perceptible.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Were still only talking 120 fos for multi-player right? Does that include hoard mode or just VS. modes.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
That's right. Any BC game patched to take advantage of XBS X|S will need to run from the internal SSD or the expansion storage.
I've been wondering this as well. So if I have some games that I've copied to an external SSD in preparations for the Series X, when I use them on the Series X will they update (again?) and move to the internal storage? Or will it prompt me that it isn't compatible? I guess we will need to wait to see unless this has already been addressed.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, this looks great but it's hard to be that impressed with the leap from One X here, it already looked great on that. Doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to my untrained eye, until they show the side by side, where improvements are noticeable, if still somewhat subtle.
The difference between One X and the PC version at max on the same TV was very apparent to me, and the Series X version is even better than max PC version so I think the upgrade will be very appreciated.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Pretty dissapointed to hear they still couldnt hit locked 4k tbh. I guess i overestimated how powerful this console was

They could have hit locked 4k, but they would have had to dial back some settings. You're going to be disappointed in lots of games and consoles this coming generation if you expect locked 4k everywhere.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Dynamic 1080p for an old-gen game on a next-gen machine is... disappointing (to say the least)

I'm sorry but after this and Yakuza 7, I really don't see the point of a Series S as a nextgen console. I'm gonna buy a Series X and be done with it, I guess
Microsoft made it clear that if you care about resolution, Series S is not for you. Series S is about having all the exact same graphical effects as Series X but topping out at 1440p (Yakuza developers not withstanding). Since in this game the Series X drops its resolution down pretty far as needed, it makes sense that the Series S will drop its resolution down pretty far as needed.

They could have easily hit that if they had left the game as it was. Instead they are running it at higher quality than Ultra on PC. I personally think that's a whole lot better than reaching every pixel of 4k every frame.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
You assume the fixes will both raise the average resolution to 4K and lock the framerate. It would be wrong for DF to assume everything will be fixed before seeing it in the flesh (why do real life performance benchmarking at all). John was discussing the frame-skips where post-effects were still updating but not the character model meshes/animations etc.
DF made no such assumptions, as John stated that the fixes to the bug causing long frames as well as a potential fix to the camera cuts issue (post-processing detail you mentioned related to how the game was created on Xbox One) would be followed up on at a later date. And the framerate discussion covers both the cutscene stutter and the gameplay (traversal) stutter.

Also, since John was conducting testing on a Series X, what does "seeing it in the flesh" mean?
Nevermind, I get your meaning now. That's still related to DF saying they'd double back to see if changes had indeed been implemented.

Last edited:

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
Dictator Would you happen to know what resolution the game is running at while playing in 120Hz multiplayer? I don't think this particular point was touched upon in the video.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a question that I feel is obvious, but for clarity: these enhanced Series X games are treated like native XSX games and not BC titles? Meaning, they need to be run from the SSD?
That's right. Any BC game patched to take advantage of XBS X|S will need to run from the internal SSD or the expansion storage.
I've been wondering this as well. So if I have some games that I've copied to an external SSD in preparations for the Series X, when I use them on the Series X will they update (again?) and move to the internal storage? Or will it prompt me that it isn't compatible? I guess we will need to wait to see unless this has already been addressed.
These Gears 5 updates don't take advantage of Velocity Architecture though, which is the whole reasoning behind requiring the internal SSD or expansion card. So I would've assumed this would still work fine from an external drive.

That's a good question though. Dark1x Dictator any input?

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
It is PCs ultra settings + turning the particle slide to 150% (something that can be done on PC) + SSGI (not on PC) + new textures for cone step mapping (not on PC) + Screen-Space contact shadows (not on PC).

Dictator, fantastic look at the game! Thanks for all the high quality output you guys are putting out right now.

I'm curious if you can run this game off of an external drive still, or does it force you to put it on the internal SSD?

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Seeing a console game with a perfect locked 120fps in the multiplayer mode with a focus on latency reduction is really a sight to behold.

We've come a long way from the 360 generation where 20-30fps with constant tearing and between 100-150ms of input latency (often played on TVs with over 100ms input lag) was the norm.

Feels almost like a return to the core of console gaming where fast, responsive 60fps games were the norm.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Awesome. I'm excited to play this yet again.
I hope we will get a look at Forza Horizon 4 and Ori 2 from DF before launch as well.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Ah in some "concerned" threads where XSX hits locked 4K we're told "it's a waste of resources".
In other threads like this we get the "concerns" when the XSX using a dynamic resolution that it "can't hit 4k".
I'm amazed so many people can cope with the anxiety of gaming with all these concerns.

Looks like the Coalition has done a bang up job with Gears 5. I'm only a short way into the game and have been hanging back for this update. Surprised and delighted they've even got GI in there, wasn't expecting that.

And a great job from DF. Thanks guys.

Oct 25, 2017
Your Xbox One games will run day one on Xbox Series X|S without any need of patch, updates or anything thanks to Backwards Compatibility. Games which the developers released updates to take advantage of XBS X|S increased power will be treated as a next-gen title/native XB Series game and therefore will need to be installed on the internal SSD or the expansion storage. Xbox Smart Delivery will take care(On titles/games that support Smart Delivery) of which version is the best to your machine. Regarding if Xbox OS will automatically move your game from a external SSD/HD to the internal storage/expansion storage if it's a game that takes advantage of Series X|S, that i don't know.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
Ah in some "concerned" threads where XSX hits locked 4K we're told "it's a waste of resources".
In other threads like this we get the "concerns" when the XSX using a dynamic resolution that it "can't hit 4k".
I'm amazed so many people can cope with the anxiety of gaming with all these concerns.

Looks like the Coalition has done a bang up job with Gears 5. I'm only a short way into the game and have been hanging back for this update. Surprised and delighted they've even got GI in there, wasn't expecting that.

These next few weeks are going to be annoying with the constant "why is this 4K? What a waste" and " Ugh I'm so disappointed it doesn't hit 4K all the time" post.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I'm so hyped to play this. For all us PS4 people who didn't own an XB1 this game is essentially our big AAA launch title. Too bad I'm stickler for playing a series in order so I'm going to have to marathon Gears 4 first.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

How some people function in real life is beyond me.

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
Dynamic 1080p for an old-gen game on a next-gen machine is... disappointing (to say the least)

I'm sorry but after this and Yakuza 7, I really don't see the point of a Series S as a nextgen console. I'm gonna buy a Series X and be done with it, I guess
If you post to this forum...you are almost certainly not the target market for a Series S. It's not targeted towards enthusiasts. It's targeted towards the millions of people who are more concerned about price than resolution, the same way that cell phones like the Samsung Galaxy A-series vastly outsell the mainline Galaxy S-series or iPhone X's (I know it's not a perfect comparison given how phones are more necessary for everyone, but it applies to virtually all consumer electronics in some way - the budget tier always sells well). If playing stuff above 1080 is important to you, probably don't get it. That doesn't mean there's not a pretty significant market for it - they're just not active here.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
Too bad they did not mention the resolution in 120HZ multiplayermode. Somewhat thinking about buying a Fast monitor for the fast multiplayer stuff.

Since I am also on PC a 1440P freesynq monitor could function for both systems.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
1VymMbL.png

Look at this gorgeous 8.3ms frametime.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
Too bad they did not mention the resolution in 120HZ multiplayermode. Somewhat thinking about buying a Fast monitor for the fast multiplayer stuff.

Since I am also on PC a 1440P freesynq monitor could function for both systems.
He mentioned very quickly he was limited to 1080p for 120 mode. Think he didn't have the proper hardware to do the test or something

Oct 25, 2017
These Gears 5 updates don't take advantage of Velocity Architecture though, which is the whole reasoning behind requiring the internal SSD or expansion card. So I would've assumed this would still work fine from an external drive
As far i know, any patched game will be treated as native and therefore will need to be run on the SSD. It's a interesting question tough. Hopefully Dictator can clean up this question.
I think they're saying they don't take advantage of Xbox Velocity as:

- The game is a last-gen game at it's core design
- Don't take advantage of Sampler Feedback/Sampler Feedback Streaming

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some comparison shots. There are no native captures to compare on Digital Foundry's written article, else I would have posted them.

Screenshot-20201103-141001-You-Tube-01.jpg

Screenshot-20201103-141008-You-Tube-01.jpg

Screenshot-20201103-141018-You-Tube-01.jpg

Screenshot-20201103-141028-You-Tube-01.jpg

Screenshot-20201103-141437-You-Tube-01.jpg

Screenshot-20201103-141809-You-Tube-01.jpg

Screenshot-20201103-141657-You-Tube-01.jpg

Screenshot-20201103-141652-You-Tube-01.jpg

Screenshot-20201103-141742-You-Tube-01.jpg

Screenshot-20201103-141742-You-Tube-01.jpg

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Great video. The way John explains things is just very nice.

Anyway dynamic resolution + locked 60fps with VRR is the future for this gens campaigns I hope. With 120fps multiplayer and a 120fps option for campaign (if time/resources allow). That would be idea to me. This game looks amazing.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
The difference between One X and the PC version at max on the same TV was very apparent to me, and the Series X version is even better than max PC version so I think the upgrade will be very appreciated.
Probably a lot of my reaction comes down to Youtube compression, and the fact that Gears 5 on One X just looks... insane (for a One X game).