• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Good performance presentation but every xox owners must have feeling watching this do they really need xsx as difference is not nextgeneration for sure and we know microsoft will not create xsx exclusive soon

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Dark1x Dictator you should watch the talk with the dev about the PC version of Gears Tactics from GDC.
Might gives some hints also about Gears 5 and Series X
Link and timestamp is in the OP.

www.resetera.com

Gears Tactics - Bit of gameplay from GDC talk and small look at graphics options. PC version will be optimized like Gears 5 and improved

Gameplay. Not the best quality. As its downloaded from a livestream. This is the "gameplay" used for the benchmark mode btw. Benchmark mode like Gears 5 Some settings Full interview can be found here. Wich shows also the settings in a live way and a very interesting talk with the devs...

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Gross, 60fps cinematics look terrible. Why are video game companies obsessed with high frame rate cutscenes? Make them 24fps and stop giving us weird ass high framerate video. High frame rates should be reserved for gameplay not cutscenes.
When the framerate suddenly drops to 30fps because we're transitioning in to a cutscene or whatever, it's a total immersion breaker for me. At least the PC version allows you to keep a constant 60fps.

Also 24fps would just introduce judder unless you want your console to switch your TV to a 24hz output every time there's a cut-scene for an immersion breaking blank screen during the TV refresh change.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dictator Dark1x

Hey, just curious. Did you guys see the console boot up? I am curious about the boot up time!
Yeah. They rebooted it at one point. I don't recall the exact bootup time, though, but it was much much faster.

DF said those weren't implemented. Was just a benchmark showing the Series X vs a 2080 with the same settings(Ultra) across the board.
Those features ARE enabled in the demo but the benchmark didn't use them as they aren't available in the PC build.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
New hardware runs old game way better, news at 5.

I reeeeeeeally hope we start seeing real next gen games soon. More Hellblade 2 please! Seeing all these old games (that I already played) isn't getting me hyped to drop $500 on a new console at all.

Show us the new next gen stuff already! Where's Halo Infinite?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Good performance presentation but every xox owners must have feeling watching this do they really need xsx as difference is not nextgeneration for sure and we know microsoft will not create xsx exclusive soon
This isn't an actual cross gen game, this is a patch for an old game. Actual cross gen games will have a much wider gulf in quality and that gulf will get bigger until they stop making cross gen stuff. Xbox's first party cross gen phase is only going to last a year or two, 3rd party games are going to be cross gen for just as long if not longer.
The cross gen approach could also end up being hugely beneficial to MS since we are going to face a big recession because of COVID-19, potentially limiting customers of next gen hardware for awhile.
Dark1x do you think ps5 will have vrs ?
Why are you asking that in this thread?

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
wow that 13 sec loading time, absolutely disgusting for a prev gen game.
I was promised no load times in next gen 😂

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so that 100+fps that was touted in previous threads was just for multiplayer. expected.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Very impressive to me because my PC (1080 Ti, 3700x) wasn't even close to delivering consistent 60 fps at native 4k max

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
I did watch the video they just say they are not using the API, and that it should be faster but not that it would get load times to 0. And I also was half jk hence the emoji.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Very impressive to me because my PC (1080 Ti, 3700x) wasn't even close to delivering consistent 60 fps at native 4k max
The Series X is using dynamic resolution scaling in the campaign section they showed.

The only time they turned it off was during the special benchmark they ran across all systems. It showed the Series X performed essentially the same as a 2080.. so similar to your 1080ti.

Turn your "minimum fps" to 60.. and cinematic FPS to "unlimited" and you essentially have the Series X version from this demo.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
why tf are there so many things called 2 weeks lol

Two_Weeks-p01.jpg

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried Halo Infinite will just be like this in terms of differences. Really wish it was exclusive. Also the final benchmark says 2080ti so is it 2080 or 2080ti?

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Two weeks without using the additional features of series x and to push it as good as an rtx 2080, my goodness. the games that utilize all of those new rdna and series x features are going to be amazing.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You are going to love the Campaign. One of the best experiences, played on a 1X on my Friend's 65 inch OLED HDR TV and it was truly incredible.

The Coalition are also heavily redesgining the core Multiplayer elements as it is not in a very good state, so by the time they launch the new console, the game will hopefully be a great MP experience as well.

Do you have the blog announcement for the MP redesign? I loved the game, but having too many modes and the shitty economy made me drop it after 3 months

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The comparisons between XBX and XSX here are actually a good example of what visual gains we'd get if XSX was just a XBX with more teraflops and no new and additional features.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. They rebooted it at one point. I don't recall the exact bootup time, though, but it was much much faster.

Those features ARE enabled in the demo but the benchmark didn't use them as they aren't available in the PC build.
Did you see the os then ? Will it be the same like on Xbox one x ? A part of the new console magic is always a new UX/UI to me

Dec 31, 2017
Did you see the os then ? Will it be the same like on Xbox one x ? A part of the new console magic is always a new UX/UI to me
People are familiar with the OS, it's pointless to redesign it just because of "oh my new shiny console". Xbox OS has iterated and should be the last OS ever on Xbox imo, just like Windows 10 is the last OS MS will need to produce on Pc and just keep iterating on it. It only makes sense.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously incredible work and this is just the beginning.

Biggest highlights:

1. All this work in just 2 weeks
2. Hasn't yet adopted Series X exclusive features like Mesh Shading, VRS, Direct Storage etc.
3. MP to be optimized to run at 120fps
4. All features on Ultra vs PC
5. Similar technique to Ray Tracing but SSGI I heard.
6. Cutscenes are now at 4k & 60FPS
7. Loading times decreased by 60% and this is without using any of the advanced SSD features from Series X.

The Coalition have built a beautiful game and the Series X will reveal its true potential. Bravo!!
Holy shit at the load time. Curious if it'll be non existent when the SSD is factored in.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017

So if they updated the pc version with those features like vrs and mesh then it will lift the performance higher on the 2080?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Huh?

Titles for Xbox One running better and looking better on Series X is a great thing. Just because a game is from a generation or two ago doesn't mean people won't play them. If anything, they know any titles they buy on XOX will run even better on next gen. You know your titles will work and get enhancements.

If someone buys a Series X, and gets Game Pass, they'll be able to play Gears 5 at 4K/60FPS with great settings, they'll be able to play the MP at 120 FPS, they'll be able to play games like Sea of Thieves, Ori, and even older games from over a decade ago like Fuzion Frenzy (original Xbox) with enhancements like HDR. I think Xbox owners are looking at Microsofts dedication to backwards compatibility and improving the games & are impressed by it. No other console maker is doing this.

As for Xbox Series X exclusives, Microsoft is obviously making them. We won't see them in the first year, might see them in the second, definitely will see them in the third.

Hellblade 2, as far as I know, is one of them.

Your right that XOX owners at launch might be thinking do I need this right *now*, and they might wait a bit. $400/500/or whatever they price it at, that's not cheap. But down the line when exclusives start coming out, third party drops current gen support, being able to play your favorite games that look better than ever will be great.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019
Gross, 60fps cinematics look terrible. Why are video game companies obsessed with high frame rate cutscenes? Make them 24fps and stop giving us weird ass high framerate video. High frame rates should be reserved for gameplay not cutscenes.
Movies already made the mistake of staying with 24hz, I don't want games to do the same. Everything looks better at higher resolution. I can't watch movies without interpolation anymore, the stuttering in panning shots gives me a headache and looks disgusting.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Microsoft is going all out with next gen. I've been a big Sony fan since PS3 but man the XSX is looking killer. They will have my money for sure.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
The comparisons between XBX and XSX here are actually a good example of what visual gains we'd get if XSX was just a XBX with more teraflops and no new and additional features.
I don't know, maybe instead of adding shadows to objects far in the distance only a 10x magnifier could reveal, a game developed with 12TF in mind from the get go could spend all its budget on things that you can actually see and look much more of a generational leap, even without new features.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, maybe instead of adding shadows to objects far in the distance only a 10x magnifier could reveal, a game developed with 12TF in mind from the get go could spend all its budget on things that you can actually see and look much more of a generational leap, even without new features.
Like what?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So if they updated the pc version with those features like vrs and mesh then it will lift the performance higher on the 2080?
Sure but, again, that's not what was compared.

The benchmark was made without those features enabled on Series X or PC.

The actual demo with the extra features isn't what was benchmarked.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
120fps multiplayer. get ready for high refresh rate console players, its the true and literal game changer.