• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Thank you for asking. I'm currently upgrading some things and it made me rethink some upgrade decisions.
I just hope I didn't write to much nonsense.

For the technically inclined I'm sure it was of great value. I understood ~80% of it when considering how everything fits together as part of a system. =)

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I have no issue with DF making this video, or really the content, but I'll still add:

There is not such thing as truly future proofing in PC-gaming, especially not at the dawn of a new console generation.
Still, if you are going to try to future proof, you probably shouldn't buy any GPU that is currently avaiable. Not because a 2080TI won't hold up, but because better and cheaper alternatives will be avaible by the end of the year.

Not really sure why you want to add this point. They define what they consider "future proofing", and it is very much not "the entire console generation" or other ridiculous stance, it's simply keeping options open enough to have an upgrade path that isn't excessively expense to work with. Equally, they point out all the caveats of "future proofing" each component where it is relevant - eg suggesting between 2070 Super to 2080 for those wanting to upgrade now, but also pointing out the next cycle of graphics cards anticipated to drop before the consoles even launch etc

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I you want to accuse them of shilling, please be up front so we can address that directly.
I'm not accusing anyone of shilling and if you read my posts my criticisms were towards Nvidia and not Digital Foundry.

We all gotta eat, but that doesn't mean the way big companies advertise isn't above criticism.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FWIW, I've got a couple of 1TB WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSDs. Using an x570 motherboard though. They seemed like the best value in terms of price vs. performance, although I almost went for Sabrent Rocket which a bunch of people also recommend online. Just slightly more expensive due to better speeds.

Do games just load instantly with NVMe SSD's?

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what the issue with sponsorship would be at the moment. AMD doesn't even have a graphics card that supports DX12 Ultimate which should be the minimum feature set that anyone recommends right now. Later this year when AMD actually has a competitive card for next gen console ports I would totally understand the push back.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Who said it is?
Mark Cerny said that the PS5 will have an SSD faster than anything available on PC last year.
You know, before the x570 with PCIe gen4.

Also Star Citizen is a pyramid scheme ;)
Not a requirement, but Shadow tactics: blades of shogun installed somewhere around 20000 files onto the hard drive, effectively make a SSD top recommendation to avoid small stutters in that game (even if it's mostly turn-based)
Sure no game requires a SSD to run and play, but calling those 1-2 minutes load screen playable is pretty abysmal

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Me hoping my 2060 laptop will last a few more years at 1440p

I can't go back to 1080p bros

Nov 8, 2017
Do games just load instantly with NVMe SSD's?

No.

Game loads do not directly mirror the actual speed increases of these drives. They decrease, but not proportionally. This is because they have other loading bottlenecks like CPU processing / decompression etc. Future games that are designed around console SSDs should see them take much better advantage of PC NVME storage.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone should treat content like this as just for fun. It's fun to think about what hardware to buy today that will be killing software in the next generation. Please, PLEASE, do not actually try to "future proof" your PC today (or ever. Just buy hardware when you need it to play a game.)

Best advice in this thread. I'm still going to go all-out on my next build at the end of the year tho, lol.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying the optimal time to buy a 2000 series card hasn't already passed, at least with the higher end ones, but if a 2080Ti isn't enough then the 3000 series isn't going to help the average person much. I haven't seen anything suggesting the 3060 and 3070, usually the two most popular power/price tiers, are going to outperforming that GPU by much if at all.

Ignoring that it's not really a good idea to just target an arbitrary framerate without having any resolution or graphical settings in mind.

The 3000 series will probably have much better RT performance than the 2000 series. A 3070 should also have about the same performance as a 2080Ti for new owners. That's why I'm waiting for a 3070 over upgrading to a 2080Ti now.

ThereAreFourNaan

I see. Thanks.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
2070/2080 - £500-700
Ryzen 6/8c - £190-250
16gb 3000mhz - £90
X570/550 - £180
PCIe 4.0 ssd - £150
Case - £50-200

Bare in mind this is targeting console resolutions.

(A 2060 will be more than enough to keep up with these consoles at 1080p)

Just to compete with next gen consoles and people expect a £349 price point?
video card: $300
CPU: $200
Memory: $100
Case: $1,000,000,000

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Amazon.com: Acer Predator X27 Pbmiphzx 27" UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Monitor with NVIDIA G-SYNC Ultimate, VESA Certified DisplayHDR 1000, Quantum Dot, 144Hz, Adobe RGB, (Display Port & HDMI Port),Black: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Acer Predator X27 Pbmiphzx 27" UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Monitor with NVIDIA G-SYNC Ultimate, VESA Certified DisplayHDR 1000, Quantum Dot, 144Hz, Adobe RGB, (Display Port & HDMI Port),Black: Computers & Accessories

If i buy this monitor i should be set for the whole gen don't you think? Now that resolution beyond 4K will not be that important anymore.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're also not judging the video on its own merits. Is that fair to say?
Am I in court? I want my lawyer!

Anyways, yes I've seen the video and I've seen other sponsored Digital Foundry videos and I've consumed a bunch of other sponsored content in my life.

If Nvidia Sponsored Video is in the title of the thread and the video itself, it's only fair to talk about that merit of the video. Yes it is exactly like a regular Digital Foundry video even though it's not. That's what makes it inherently less trustworthy like with all native advertising. Also this was being brought up as early as the first reply like being wary of sponsored content isn't controversial.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But my future-proofed Q6600 paired with a GTX 970 could play Witcher 3 just *fine.

*Extreme BSing on my part, though it was holding a little over 30 in the first section of the game.

A 3600 and 4700x/4900x will run anything just fine for the next few years, though I anticipate that I may not be able to coast through this generation as I did with my 2500k.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
This video doesn't have the best timing, i got no issue with sponsored content, but it seems Nvidia just wants to clear the last of their Turing stock just like AMD is happy for people to buy a few more Ryzen 2's before 3 comes along.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This video doesn't have the best timing, i got no issue with sponsored content, but it seems Nvidia just wants to clear the last of their Turing stock just like AMD is happy for people to buy a few more Ryzen 2's before 3 comes along.

Well, they obviously want people to try and build their future-proof PCs now, before AMD can release their next line of GPUs that also do ray tracing. It doesn't matter to them that now is actually a stupid time to build a future proof PC.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone should treat content like this as just for fun. It's fun to think about what hardware to buy today that will be killing software in the next generation. Please, PLEASE, do not actually try to "future proof" your PC today (or ever. Just buy hardware when you need it to play a game.)

There are rare occassions when it makes sense to future proof your computer. I bought my 5820k specifically because it was 6 cores and would last me a long time. If I'd gone for a 4770k I'd probably have upgraded long before now. But yeah it's not often that it's worthwhile. My plan is to ride it out until we hit DDR5.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Despite it being sponsored by Nvidia, this still comes across as a typical Rich video to me. He recommends people buy an Nvidia GPU if putting together a machine right now, but that makes sense because they're the only ones currently supporting raytracing. He does also mention AMD will have their own cards coming later in the year, and obviously everything CPU related has nothing to do with Nvidia, so 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: It's also quite possible they agreed to the sponsorship because Nvidia's literally the only one option for building a "future-proof" PC. So like, if you're going to recommend them regardless, might as well get paid for it lol
Mesh Shaders is also quite important.
Even if PC ports would have separate path the performance and/or quality difference could be serious.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I imagine NVidia is reaching out to content makers to help move their current turing GPUs before Ampere and AMD's new GPUs hit the market.

If you're going to buy stuff right now, go ahead and get a snazzy pci4 Ryzen 3000 series setup... and keep your existing GPU for a few more months.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I imagine NVidia is reaching out to content makers to help move their current turing GPUs before Ampere and AMD's new GPUs hit the market.

If you're going to buy stuff right now, go ahead and get a snazzy pci4 Ryzen 3000 series setup... and keep your existing GPU for a few more months.
Yep that's what I did last year, I'm confident in my CPU being just fine for a while but no way am I upgrading my GPU until RDNA2 and Ampere are out.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I can't think of a worse time to build a PC. Series 3000 coming out in a few months, Intel 10k isn't all that interesting and mostly old tech and new Ryzens are delayed.

Got my money budgeted for a new build already but gonna wait well into next year. Other than Control (and maybe Metro Last light but i'm not sure about it's RTX's implementation) there's not a single game i think about "damn i wanna push this game more".

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

That's what I'm doing atm. Just bought a Ryzen 3600 today and getting an x570 motherboard so I can switch to a Ryzen 4000 + RTX 3000 once those are available.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
To be honest, sponsored content about video cards is just plain wrong. While I think Richard and team do have lots of credibility, this is slippery slope material.

Nov 8, 2017

Well, they obviously want people to try and build their future-proof PCs now, before AMD can release their next line of GPUs that also do ray tracing. It doesn't matter to them that now is actually a stupid time to build a future proof PC.

Again, the vid doesn't say now is a good time to buy, and it doesn't recommend any specific GPUs, it gives a series of guidelines on what he considers the minimum bar you should aim for if you're shopping with an eye towards the future, emphasizing feature sets and upgrade-ability. He explicitly mentions that new GPUs are expected later in the year, and states that users should not feel like they need to rush out and upgrade even for the next ~12 months because the crossgen period will mean that their computers, even not matching PS5/XSX, will be amply supported for the time being. The video's recommendations wouldn't even change once Ampere and RDNA 2.0 hit, because all he puts in the recommendations is "something with DX12 ultimate features, and at least 8GB VRAM". Which is very sensible advice that will apply equally to Turing, Ampere and RDNA 2.0 GPUs.

Obviously Nvidia would like you to go out and buy all their top spec stuff right now. But this isn't a fluffy marketing vid, nor is it a bad thing to release right now. People are constantly buying new stuff and saying "wait 3-5 months to buy" may be applicable to some people, but it won't be to all. Being aware of what the bar is for next gen stuff is very helpful and it will still be helpful once those launch.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Again, the vid doesn't say now is a good time to buy, and it doesn't recommend any specific GPUs, it gives a series of guidelines on what he considers the minimum bar you should aim for if you're shopping with an eye towards the future, emphasizing feature sets and upgrade-ability. He explicitly mentions that new GPUs are expected later in the year, and states that users should not feel like they need to rush out and upgrade even for the next ~12 months because the crossgen period will mean that their computers, even not matching PS5/XSX, will be amply supported for the time being. The video's recommendations wouldn't even change once Ampere and RDNA 2.0 hit, because all he puts in the recommendations is "something with DX12 ultimate features, and at least 8GB VRAM". Which is very sensible advice that will apply equally to Turing, Ampere and RDNA 2.0 GPUs.

Obviously Nvidia would like you to go out and buy all their top spec stuff right now. But this isn't a fluffy marketing vid, nor is it a bad thing to release right now. People are constantly buying new stuff and saying "wait 3-5 months to buy" may be applicable to some people, but it won't be to all. Being aware of what the bar is for next gen stuff is very helpful and it will still be helpful once those launch.

Agreed. It might be a sponsored video but the information presented was accurate and well explained.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
I don't think the video being sponsored had any influence on the content but future proofing for 2 - 2 and 1/2 years, that doesn't sound much like future proofing. Do the majority really upgrade that often? I really doubt it.

If you had to buy now the advice in the video is good but i would have liked if it was emphasized how bad of a time it is to buy a gpu right now especially if you don't want to upgrade in 2 years.
Buying the other components right now is not that bad imo, you can always use more storage and a 8 core or higher cpu will probably last a very long time.

I had to buy something on black friday and i chose a 2700 Ryzen (150 Euros), a used 580 (100) and also recently 2TB of PCI gen 3 NVME (Adata s8200 Pro). I think cpu and storage wise i will be fine for 3-4 years. I bough the gpu as something i will upgrade in a year.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
No.

Game loads do not directly mirror the actual speed increases of these drives. They decrease, but not proportionally. This is because they have other loading bottlenecks like CPU processing / decompression etc. Future games that are designed around console SSDs should see them take much better advantage of PC NVME storage.

It sounds like for consoles at least they are gonna make older games load much faster too, whereas I can't imagine PC getting the same kinds of speed boosts if it can't already do it.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are rare occassions when it makes sense to future proof your computer. I bought my 5820k specifically because it was 6 cores and would last me a long time. If I'd gone for a 4770k I'd probably have upgraded long before now. But yeah it's not often that it's worthwhile. My plan is to ride it out until we hit DDR5.
I also have 5820K and I don't think it future proofed anything. I just bought it because it had more cores and cost wasn't that much greater than mainstream platform at the time.

Nowadays 5820K is outdated, just not as much as all those 4 core CPUs.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
Not really sure why you want to add this point. They define what they consider "future proofing", and it is very much not "the entire console generation" or other ridiculous stance, it's simply keeping options open enough to have an upgrade path that isn't excessively expense to work with. Equally, they point out all the caveats of "future proofing" each component where it is relevant - eg suggesting between 2070 Super to 2080 for those wanting to upgrade now, but also pointing out the next cycle of graphics cards anticipated to drop before the consoles even launch etc

Right, and I do not diasagree with the video in a vacum, beyond the point that future proofing now is a bad idea, and that most people should probably wait.
If you must upgrade now, then it is good advice. The point being that you shouldn't upgrade now.

I understand that they are not looking for a system that will last the whole console generation, but buying now rather than this fall will - in all likelyhood - result in paying much more for less.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
Every year I usually pick one component to upgrade and just settle on the one that needs it the most. Last year I upgraded to a 1TB SSD, and the year before that I upgraded my graphics card to a gtx 1060.

For this year I'm thinking my cpu.

I've got an i7-4770k that's served me well for like 6 years now so basically all of this gen. I keep debating if I should grab a R5 3600 like DF recommends and have that last me through next gen, or push on with my i7. I do a lot of VR stuff so an upgrade is sorely needed but I worry if it'll last depending how demanding VR gen 2 is gonna be whenever it eventually lands.

I'd have to pick up a new motherboard too and DDR4 memory wouldn't hurt either so it's getting pricier when it might just be better to invest that in a PS5 instead.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are those Sabrent Rocket 5gb/s gen 4.0 NVMe drives using the same controller Phison controller as everything else? Or why are people recommending them over other things. Because price difference is like 10-15€... for 1TB of storage. Except for FireCuda 520s, which are seventy€ more expansive.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
It sounds like for consoles at least they are gonna make older games load much faster too, whereas I can't imagine PC getting the same kinds of speed boosts if it can't already do it.

Current consoles use slow hdd's and very slow cpu's and even if you upgraded to an ssd you didn't see as much of an improvement as on pc so of course for next gen the old games are going to load much faster than they used to on consoles, perhaps they also made some code improvements for some games like that spiderman demo. We will see.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I also have 5820K and I don't think it future proofed anything. I just bought it because it had more cores and cost wasn't that much greater than mainstream platform at the time.

Nowadays 5820K is outdated, just not as much as all those 4 core CPUs.

It came out in 2014 and at the 4.5ghz mine is OC'd to it runs every game I throw at it at well over 60fps even 6 years later.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I already know I'll need a GPU upgrade for 4k/120hz/HDR. If nothing else, no current card supports HDMI 2.1.
Right now my 2080 Super does a rock steady 1440p/120hz/HDR, but I neeed more power!

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I have a feeling that people thinking that this video is about Rich saying "buy parts now" or some backhanded way to move Turing stock through NV pressure did not watch the video...
It is about hardware minimum to be par with next gen and the things to look out for when buying a PC in general so upgrading is easy.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Right, and I do not diasagree with the video in a vacum, beyond the point that future proofing now is a bad idea, and that most people should probably wait.
If you must upgrade now, then it is good advice. The point being that you shouldn't upgrade now.

I understand that they are not looking for a system that will last the whole console generation, but buying now rather than this fall will - in all likelyhood - result in paying much more for less.

Yep, it's bad advice to 'future-proof' now when there is an entire line-up of next gen cards from both AMD/Nvidia coming with Ryzen 4000 CPUs on top (which isn't delayed).

What's the point of this video then? And how can you future proof for the consoles' IO or 3D Audio? You can't, next gen is more than just PC component tech specs more than ever.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I watched the video and definitely question its timing (though the motherboard advice in it is sound, I suppose)... The bottom line is that you probably shouldn't be building a PC this summer if your goal is to play ports of next-gen games. Yes, it will be possible, but once the NVIDIA 3000 cards and Ryzen 4000s hit, you'll probably wish you had waited or feel the need to upgrade.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Crazy that these new consoles are sporting 2070 Super and 2080 GPU equivalents. Was expecting something like a 2060. Big jump.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
I found the video helpful. I'm planning on building a new pc in a few months once ampere is out (and maybe Ryzen 4000s), and the tips still apply to that. Just good info to know for tech casuals like me. Beyond 'new parts good' I didn't really know exactly what to look out for (DX12, minimum 8 core CPU, mobo with specific features). So I've definitely added a few notes to my 'new pc' list for when the time comes.

I agree that I wouldn't want sponsored content to become super frequent, but this video was fine. Very obviously signposted as sponsored, and still had good, useful tips, not just a straight marketing vid extolling the virtues of the 2080 ti or anything. Obviously with any sponsored content, you're still going to want to look at other sources too before making purchases.

Nov 8, 2017
Crazy that these new consoles are sporting 2070 Super and 2080 GPU equivalents. Was expecting something like a 2060. Big jump.

I think it just seems crazy now because the successors haven't launched yet. The RTX series will be a little over 2 years old when these consoles launch, and matching the 2nd best card from a 2 year old range isn't out of line historically. It's about as good as we could expect for 2020, but say, X360 was certainly punching above that level compared to 2003 video cards in features and power.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I think it just seems crazy now because the successors haven't launched yet. The RTX series will be a little over 2 years old when these consoles launch, and matching the 2nd best card from a 2 year old range isn't out of line historically. It's about as good as we could expect for 2020, but say, X360 was certainly punching above that level compared to 2003 video cards in features and power.

2080 would be the fourth best card in the RTX lineup: RTX Titan > 2080ti > 2080 Super > 2080.