• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Next Samsung PCIE4 NVMEs will be around PS5's speeds if not more, but Sony has done stuff with the I/O on the console. How much that will matter, impossible to say right now. Personally, I think anyone with a Samsung 970 or equivalent with around 3,500mb/s read speeds will be fine. Those are available right now.
Sounds good. I'll have to search out if anything better is on the horizon in the near future.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a gaming PC anymore, but if I remember something when I had one, it's that nothing is "future-proof" in the PC world. Nothing. And "Next Gen" is an empty word there.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I've got no doubts about PC keeping up with next gen out the gate, I just want this PCIE 4.0 stuff to be settled. I just need to know if I'm grabbing an X570 or B550 or whatever for my next PC and Ryzen 4000/Nvidia 3000.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a gaming PC anymore, but if I remember something when I had one, it's that nothing is "future-proof" in the PC world. Nothing. And "Next Gen" is an empty word there.
giphy.gif

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely waiting on a new build. I hope 3070/80 cards come out before Cyberpunk and then I'll build from there.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, I think the idea behind the build is not great. As others have said, cards that largely fit the expected performance profile right now are unlikely to hold up the whole gen (And with console efficiencies). I definitely wouldn't be picking up a 20XX right now with 30XX around the corner, which will theoretically put you above spec with a comfortable buffer.

Same for things like NVME. You really can't get that same SSD performance right now, but in a year, you'll be able to match it or better.

You just can't really future proof at this moment.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Not interested in upgrading my mobo anytime soon, but sounds like PCIe 4.0 support is critical for "future proofing" my PC whenever I get around to upgrading (hopefully later this year with the RTX 3080).

Guess I'll be holding out on a CPU upgrade until Intel gets its act together with PCIe 4.0 support (sounds like that'll happen with their Rocket Lake CPUs).

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Yeah, I think the idea behind the build is not great. As others have said, cards that largely fit the expected performance profile right now are unlikely to hold up the whole gen (And with console efficiencies). I definitely wouldn't be picking up a 20XX right now with 30XX around the corner, which will theoretically put you above spec with a comfortable buffer.

Same for things like NVME. You really can't get that same SSD performance right now, but in a year, you'll be able to match it or better.

You just can't really future proof at this moment.
They pretty clearly said GPUs are picked to last 2 to 3 years. That's about how often I upgrade mine.

But then, I'd advise anyone that doesn't need to buy a system right now, to try and wait until after the 30x0 series and PCIX4 NVME drives to surpass next gen console speeds. I'm planning for an upgrade late next year to really build something future proof... however whatever GPU I put in it, will get replaced midway through the console gen, naturally.

Still, if you are building a PC *right now* this advice is sound. AMD Cpu and Nvidia GPU makes total sense at this exact moment in time.

Best time to buy a PC is "couple years ago" and "wait six months"
One year after next gen console launches for a full system rebuild, with a mid gen GPU upgrade has served me *ridiculously* well these last couple of decades.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Next gen isn't some magical date you have to get your PC ready for - build something in 2021 and take advantage of all the new stuff that releases in the next 12 months.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I took the chance with a B450 board as I didn't want you wait for B550 and wasn't comfortable paying the price premium. I'm not convinced that a 1TB 3.5GB/s NVME drive is going to become a bottleneck at any point in the next 5 years but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You should point out, that this is sponsored content by Nvidia.

(And while I still trust the DF team in what they say in their analysis videos, it is worrisome if
any editor of any site is doing paid content from the industry he or she is reporting from. Especially
if it they write/produce reviews)
DF clearly labels all of their sponsored content, so I don't see a problem with it. Remember DF is largely a few folks making videos in their homes, they likely need this type of content to survive.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
"Future proofing" with ray-tracing cards which barely RT at a playable frame rate? They might be the best now, but to future proof, I'd wait 3 months and get the newest line.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
If I were to build a PC right now that has the same specs as the nextgen consoles, how much would I need to spend?

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
BF 2020 will be a good time to find some good deals with the series 3XXX Nvidia cards and a 3060 will probably match the 2080 raw performance with a lot of new features so I think the best thing to do now is to wait.

Also, I don't think both PS5 and XSX will have amazing exclusive stuff until holiday 2021, so the best thing IMHO for the next two years is: get a new GPU now and a PS5 in 2021.

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
All I can say is I hope you don't want a big GPU, never want to add more storage and have a cold room.

M.2 storage works for me and low profile Noctua coolers like the NH-L12 work well. Only tricky thing is GPUs but here's to hoping that someone like ZOTAC will have a Mini-ITX friendly 3000 series card by 2021. If not, a Ghost S1 can fit a 2080 Ti.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Not buying a PC until it has spec's that will wipe the floor compared to next gen consoles.

PS5 I will buy for exclusives and then PC will come a year after that would be powerful enough handle pristine looking IQ for games like Half Life Alyx

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This will motivate a ton of people to upgrade or buy PCs now rather than wait a little bit longer, and that's unfortunate.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems so weird to me that he says people swap GPUs every 2 years. That seems so frequent to me. They're not cheap parts, so I want one to last a long time. I guess that's why I'm still milking my 980ti for all it's worth.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems so weird to me that he says people swap GPUs every 2 years. That seems so frequent to me. They're not cheap parts, so I want one to last a long time. I guess that's why I'm still milking my 980ti for all it's worth.
Yeah, they aren't smartphones, and even those I try to keep at least 3 years. GPUs 3 to 4 years, or even 5+

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
You can always re-sell the existing one and get a good chunk of the $ back typically, if it's an nvidia card.
8GB VRAM might become limiting in a couple years, similar to how 4GB is now
Good thing i have 11GB and target 1440p high refresh

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
My GPU is getting pretty old now, but it's only one generation behind (GTX 1080), and still plays all the latest games just fine (1440p/60+). My CPU should be fine for the next-gen. I'm already running an SSD, although I could probably get a faster one at some point.

But I plan to upgrade my GPU the same way I did last time... by waiting until we're a few cycles into the new generation, so whatever card I get next will be guaranteed to play anything PS5/XSX games can throw at it and then some.

You never want to buy a card at the beginning of the generation. Sure, it's probably more powerful on paper, but no one (not even NVidia) has seen what devs will be throwing at it, and it's almost certain to struggle before too much time has passed, once it starts playing games made exclusively for the next generation, and you'll wind up having to upgrade in just a couple of years.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be upgrading to a Ryzen 4000 series and hopefully my RX580 will last another year for 1080/60

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
If I were to build a PC right now that has the same specs as the nextgen consoles, how much would I need to spend?
The parts the consoles are using aren't out yet, is the problem. You might have to overshoot the specs to make up for the efficiencies of the newer architectures and Sony's custom flash controller.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020

Is that backed by stats or just a gut feeling?

I tend to go 3-4 years, but then again, I tend to grab the top of the line when I do purchase new. I do see some fo my friends that aim for mid range do it a bit more often, I think they get a better return on their old GPU on Ebay this way.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Currently watching DF's analysis of the conference and Ratchet is looking mighty tasty. I'm not even a Ratchet fan, have barely played any of the previous games. But that Portal mechanic has my attention.

Also Demon's Souls as someone who hasn't given much time to FROM games might be the one that breaks the Camel's back for me.
I'm in a similar place as the only Ratchet game I ever played/finished was the 2016 PS4 game. The portal bit does seem cool and exemplifies how quickly things will/should load w/ the custom SSD.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
The parts the consoles are using aren't out yet, is the problem. You might have to overshoot the specs to make up for the efficiencies of the newer architectures and Sony's custom flash controller.

This is only true of the SSD and only in comparison to the PS5, and we just don't know what games will take advantage of it to an extent where current PC's SSD's just won't be able to match.

My guess is that it will ONLY be a thing on PS5 exclusives and probably not until later in the generation, and by the time they come to PC (if they do), probably at the back end of the generation, the IO bus on PC is likely to look a lot better than it does now.

I'm hoping that Sony's spear heading this I/O tech will push companies in the PC space to make improvements. We know some stuff is coming, we know there's a lot of overhead on the driver side, we know there's room for improvement on the hardware side. I'm hoping that improvements in drivers, API's and eventually hardware will mean the kind fo stuff the PS5 can do will become common place on PC as well... but again, I'm doubting it. We may only see the SSD's being pushed like this on the handful of PS5 exclusive titles next gen, atleast until towards the end of the generation. Hoping I'm wrong.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see a six-core system with 2018 GPUs built for cross-gen games as "future proof". More like a stop-gap until new hardware is here.
But really, what is "future-proof" ? Your best bet is to wait until RDNA2 and 30-series GPUs are out, and Rocket Lake (Intel with PCIe 4) or Zen 3 CPUs are on the market.
If it were not for their lack of PCIe 4.0, the 10900K should have been an easy recommendation.

This. The lack of perspective from people complaining about lack of 4k60fps from a 399-499 while also expecting raytracing and a general leap in graphical fidelity is amazing, really.
I don't think most people asking for 60/120 FPS care about native 4K resolutions.
I'm more than happy enough with 1527p or reconstruction if that allows for double the frame rate.

What if I have no build. Ain't waiting till January for AMD 4th gen to show up
That doesn't stop it being a bad time to build a new system if you expect it to do well through a new generation of games.
At the very least, the 30-series GPUs should be out before/near Cyberpunk 2077's launch.
Rocket Lake is still supposed to be out later this year.

Most people working at hardware review outlets are out of touch in that regard.
That's not an insult; but it's difficult to keep that perspective when companies are sending you the latest and greatest hardware for free, or your employer is paying for it.
It's the same for almost anyone doing product reviews.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
This is only true of the SSD and only in comparison to the PS5, and we just don't know what games will take advantage of it to an extent where current PC's SSD's just won't be able to match.

My guess is that it will ONLY be a thing on PS5 exclusives and probably not until later in the generation, and by the time they come to PC (if they do), probably at the back end of the generation, the IO bus on PC is likely to look a lot better than it does now.

I'm hoping that Sony's spear heading this I/O tech will push companies in the PC space to make improvements. We know some stuff is coming, we know there's a lot of overhead on the driver side, we know there's room for improvement on the hardware side. I'm hoping that improvements in drivers, API's and eventually hardware will mean the kind fo stuff the PS5 can do will become common place on PC as well... but again, I'm doubting it. We may only see the SSD's being pushed like this on the handful of PS5 exclusive titles next gen, atleast until towards the end of the generation. Hoping I'm wrong.
We don't fully understand what RDNA2 is bringing to the table yet either.

There are a lot of moving parts right now, with so many hardware launches on the near horizon. Probably not the best time for an expensive PC build.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I don't see a six-core system with 2018 GPUs built for cross-gen games as "future proof".
One thing to note is that Rich is talking about PCs that are par for the consoles (or more) and/or have an easy and cheap upgrade path to future technology. Six Core Ryzen 3... given the frequency, system reservations, and reduced cache on consoles, I think a third generation ryzen 6 Core will end up being the "yeah it plays exactly like the consoles" CPU for a good long while.

If you have an RTX 2070 or higher, you basically have yourself a PS5 GPU or more.

The answer to storage devices of similar latency but different bandwidth is to increase the amount of system RAM. PC games will just require more system RAM. The necessity of fast SSDs in the console space is a crutch upgrade to the decidedly meagre upgrade in total system RAM between generations. If a device like a PC has more system RAM then total RAM that a console has and then 8+ GB of VRAM as well... it should be very competent at staying inline with consoles even with a less capable SSD. This kind of trade off is made all the time in design.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
On PC I wish there was a mod or app like the downsampling app made by Durante, GeDoSaTo but for checkerboarding. I would get a 4k monitor and use it for everything. Right now I am happy with 1080p for the performance especially if I mess with ray tracing. I prefer framerate and got a freesync monitor specifically for it along with being able to pick a Nvidia or AMD graphics card and not be tied down to one.

-------------------------------------
Didn't Digital Foundry do a test on comparable PC hardware of current gen consoles to see how games would run on them, and it was a horrible experience?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
On PC I wish there was a mod or app like the downsampling app made by Durante, GeDoSaTo but for checkerboarding.
That would be impossible, as checkerboarding for consoles and PC requires invasive engine changes to get working, on top of a lot of debugging to make sure it works well with all the post-processing, shaders, etc. It is possibly more intensive than adding in MSAA into a modern engine, which is exceedingly rare.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
That would be impossible, as checkerboarding for consoles and PC requires invasive engine changes to get working, on top of a lot of debugging to make sure it works well with all the post-processing, shaders, etc. It is possibly more intensive than adding in MSAA into a modern engine, which is exceedingly rare.
Ah, I guess DLSS type GPU methods are going to be key then.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think buying a 2018 GPU is gonna future proof shit.
This is sponsored by Nvidia, they're trying to move their old stock before the new ones come out imo.

Doesn't it make more sense to build a PC a year or two after the new consoles? That way you can smoke them at a reasonable cost. Console price to performance is at its best at launch.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Right now is the worst time to build a new PC is all my subconscious needs to read, thanks Era. I´m running a 6700 non-K / 2080 and the CPU is bottlenecking my 2K/144hz dream severely. I want to upgrade but I think waiting for Zen 3 and a possible SSD solution similar to the PS4 is the clever move here with my current hardware.

I found super interesting the bit about how PC will "deal" with that PS5 SSD with existing or innovative solutions rather than with pure hardware updates but I still feel its clever to wait if you are in a position to do so.

Also content may be sponsored by NVIDIA but I feel there was absolutely nothing biased about the video even when they talk GPUs. I´m sure raytracing performance on the 20-series will be quickly outdated though.

May 19, 2020
That's why native advertising is bad.

Why didn't Rich cover AMD even though that's what the next-gen consoles use? Because it's Nvidia's competition.
Yeah this is why sponsored content is sketchy, you are not actually getting any form of neutrality regardless of how much the content is "like" normal DF videos. This is exactly the point. You are getting a script that had to be approved in some way or another with a marketing firm or the company itself.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I just need to update my 2600x CPU to a 3000 series Ryzen otherwise I'm good. I only game at 1080p anyways so my 1070ti is plentiful despite the lack of RT. Future proofing is too expensive and much better value upgrading as needed.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I have everything Richard mention I think, 8700k so 6 cores cpu, 2080 but not the 3000mhz ram, only 16 gigs 2666mhz. 1tb sata3 SSD though. So I should be fine for 2 years?