• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really hope they present at DICE or somewhere - their knowledge needs to be shared and applied by other devs.

ps3ud0 8)

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What The Coalition has achieved here shows how capable the Xbox One X already is. All this improvements over Gears 4 and still maintaining a higher frame rate. With next gen I foresee all their first party games will be 4K/60.

i totally agree but it makes that Halo Infinite E3 footage even more underwhelming for me.

I guess they'll concentrate on larger game Worlds with destruction and much improved AI> I really wish it wasn't held back by the XB1 family of CPU's.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Game has no right looking so good and running at 60 all the time, absolutely stands ahead of most of the top titles this generation.

Incredible job by The Coalition. Makes me want them to split into 2 studios so they out their genius into another IP as well.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I feel like they're culling the scene a little too aggressively. When simply spinning the camera you can often see flashes of white or black like you're seeing into the void before the geometry pops in. It also happens when something passes close to camera, even in a couple cutscenes.
Not noticed this on the PC version of Gears 5 so presumably its only affecting console.

But this is a massive issue in the PC version of Control. Even with everything on max, you can see assets popping in at the sides of the screen when you spin the camera. It's annoying, not quite as annoying as LoD pop-in which has plagued this gen of console games, but it's up there. But yeah, not seeing this on PC at least for Gears 5.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Of course it does - it would be suicide for microsoft if such a thing occured. Also - it is just the tiniest of GPU upclocks + HDR support. Only real difference between 1 and 1s. So you will see *maybe* a slightly higher resolution ever 1000 frames... or maybe one or two less tears.

We do not cover it anymore because it is so miniscule.
The YouTube channel VGTech used to do comparisons Base Xbox One vs Xbox One S and often the S console had clearly better results in res and performance no point downplaying it

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Not noticed this on the PC version of Gears 5 so presumably its only affecting console.

But this is a massive issue in the PC version of Control. Even with everything on max, you can see assets popping in at the sides of the screen when you spin the camera. It's annoying, not quite as annoying as LoD pop-in which has plagued this gen of console games, but it's up there. But yeah, not seeing this on PC at least for Gears 5.

I don't think that this is what I've experienced, because it doesn't really happen at the edges of the screen, and it doesn't look like voids caused by geometry culling, but occasionally I will catch a glint, for lack of a better word, similar to the flashing of objects that can be picked up or interacted with. It doesn't happen very often in Gears 5, but it does happen here and there. However, in Gears 3 it used to happen a lot. I'm not sure what's causing it, maybe it's just a consequence of how the engine handles specularity?

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
How's Gears 5 on the Xbone or the 1S? I don't really want to spend the money on a 1X but a 1S would be nice.
Imo if you're buying a a new Xbox in 2019, the 1X is the only one you should be buying. My original Xbox broke last year and I replaced it with a 1X and it's one of the best decisions I've made. It doesn't matter what type of TV you have, you will benefit from buying a 1X over a 1S.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Forgot exactly which video it was since it wasn't in the title of the video but in the video he did do the tests and also included info in comments especially comparing xb1 to xb1s it was id say couple of months back maybe
I mean, we know where the hardware differs and to what extend so there is likely not much difference anyway.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I think the detail comes from the fact that The Coalition is really proud of what they achieved and they are thrilled to talk about

Wasn't implying anything different.
Just thought parts of the analysis were more specific and detailed than usual; figured it couldn't be just from observation and The Coalition had already shared some details about their tech with the guys at DF.

Unrelated: 8k is madness, I surely hope no one even starts thinking of going there for another 7 years.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
As devs get used to game engines and the engines get better updates and improvments, we start to see massive jumps in quality. Granted, 4K 60 on XBox1X is amazing considering it is up there with God of War in visuals.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's good to hear. I wish it also was 1% of your articles.
Why are you being obnoxious? Large portion of the audience want to know this info, all DF threads here focus considerable amount of energy discussing it. You've got an obvious chip on shoulder, and its not helping the discussion here.

Oct 27, 2017
A soviet complaining a dictator about a share of the workload? We can move on from this now.

This was a great article! Always good to see how one technical solution provides a path to solving two others.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
All i remember was the technical info he shared in comparison was very good in favour of the S more than the minimal difference some people make it out to be maybe you can contact him yourself and find out
You're thinking of Project Cars 2 and that's the only game where the difference is even quantifiable. It's miniscule and irrelevant otherwise.