• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
That's not at all what they said.

They theorize it's a bug and they've told the development team who are now looking into it. That's it.
Yes, DF did speculate. But it simply has to be a bug based on common sense. This looks worse than Xbox 360 cars in racing games. My take is that for some reason the game isn't using LOD0 or LOD1 here and uses a LOD used for cars far away.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
The PS4 Pro is also outperforming the more powerful One X (not for the first time IIRC). It really seems like the PS consoles are easier to extract performance out of them. Maybe the Xbox tools aren't there just yet, but then again -- the PS5's won't be either.

Main concern is the tearing on both machines. This needs patching up, but I'll give Ubi a pass. There is a pandemic.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
A lot of it has to do with video length and encoded format and bitrate. It took an hour and a half to full process my video that was less than 4 mins long. MY Astro video, 40 mins long, 100+Mbs bitrate, took just over 4 full days to process.

1. Could I have a link to that video (I love to see crisp 4k Astrobot gameplay)? Thanks.
2. The DF's DeS video operating at 59.94fps is far shorter at 17m 28s and in the near lossless quality using H.264 format (presumably the ver. they upload to YT) is encoded at a bit rate of 39.7mbps (just over 1/3rd of your video).

Anyway, I am going to check their HEVC source file on my slow ass laptop right now.

DeadPhoenix86

Banned
Apr 20, 2019
To what end? The differences are minor and everyone agrees that both systems will sell out their stock. What would a delay achieve?

Have you seen Dirt 5??? There's a massive difference in Resolution and detail. If doesn't get better anytime soon, why should i even bother keeping the Series X. I paid 500 for an inferior product. MS lied to us. I should have Pre-ordered the PS5 instead. Going to request a refund this upcoming Monday.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Consoles (and fixed hardware platforms in general) are all about compromises, it can't be helped. The differences being small is not that bad of a scenario all things considered.

That observation you just made is precisely my point. The disparity in loading times between first-party and third-party games proves why this first batch of multiplatform titles is not an accurate indication of what these consoles can do. Imagine a scenario in which our only performance metric of PS5's SSD was the likes of Dirt 5 and Valhalla. Would you not have people here doubting the hardware and Cerny himself?

It might be that this sort of performance ends up being representative of each console's capabilities, but it is not unreasonable to not consider these benchmarks as enough to reach a definitive conclusion just yet.
No lies detected and a wonderful post.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Not going to lie...I am pretty surprised that the first set of multi-platform games have generally favoured PS5.

I was fully planning on getting most of my 3rd party games for my Series X as I had always thought of it as the stronger of the two in terms of raw performance. I will definitely be keeping a close eye on how this develops, more than happy to pick up on my PS5 instead.

I continue to have some mild trepidation around Series S and its longer term prospects. Still a good console for some people but this has confirmed it wouldn't have been enough for my own use-case.

May 13, 2018
Same car. Series X.
Screen-Shot-2020-11-21-at-1-07-42-PM.png

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
We had an inkling when Halo and The Medium was postphoned.

The big one is Cyberpunk, if that runs worse on Series X it'll be a huge blow. However, won't that game run in BC mode on PS5/XsX as the next gen patch isn't out til next year? Might mean higher framerate on Xbox but lower fps.

From what I believe they mentioned, I think they said there would sort of be a PS5/X|S patch on launch to take advantage of some of the consoles features, however the actual next-gen version of the game isn't slated until next year. Think it was originally early-ish, however who the hell knows with these days and COVID still.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I have to be honest as a XSX owner (and will be a ps5 owner once my preorder arrives) I'm feeling pretty let down by MS here.

I've owned both consoles since the PS2/Xbox era but have always used Xbox consoles for my multiplatform games (even during the xb1 era...). I will continue to do so now even with these results, because I game share on this console and most of my friends are on Xbox and I do trust that MS will continue to support my library of games going forward.

But I had really hoped they had learnt a massive lesson from the XB1 that first impressions matter and the marketing talk matters, people don't like being bullshitted and another bad gen for them won't be good for us overall I feel.

At the moment objectively if someone was looking at both consoles you would have to recommend the PS5 unless they want gamepass or have a huge library of games in the Xbox ecosystem you want to use.

I know it probably won't matter overall and I'm not warrior for either side, I want both to do well this gen and I'm just suprised.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
The same could be said about the people saying PS5 will load 2-3 times faster and yet here we are.

I think the more interesting discussion at this point is why are these expectations not met... Tools, launch games, or whatever it may be are all topics worth discussing.

A possibility is that DirectStorage just ain't ready or is not mature enough in the API. Isn't it going to be implemented on PC like next year? We also have no idea how much ressources their solution takes (or will take) on either GPU (ala RTX IO?) or CPU (?).

Sony going with an hardware module for decompression/IO management kinds of removes this hurdle and might make initial game developement a lot faster/easier to manage for developers.

Just a guess. But i think DirectStorage is the most late implementation of the DirectX12 ultimate feature set. I'm honestly not even sure if the first wave of Xbox series games are using it?

If it's not using, it makes a ton of difference. It's like old generations where you hold ~30s of assets, idling in VRAM until they are used, to the new IO generation where you basically stream on the fly the assets needed with a buffer of like 1~2 secs, barely idling in memory.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Have you seen Dirt 5??? There's a massive difference in Resolution and detail. If doesn't get better anytime soon, why should i even bother keeping the Series X. I paid 500 for an inferior product. MS lied to us. I should have Pre-ordered the PS5 instead. Going to request a refund this upcoming Monday.
Sometimes is hard to identify pastas in this site.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
But you just said you sent it to the online retailer already 30mins ago in this same thread...... 🤔. Maybe get your story straight before telling it

Edit: Now the post is gone

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
The problem is not the devs and not Xbox. The problem is the assumption that Xbox will definitely perform better. Everyone looking seriously at the specs could tell you it will be close and no clear winner will emerge, which is what eventually will be the case. They have 2 different approaches to solving the same problem even though the GPU architecture is the same, and frankly it's fascinating.
So you're saying that Xbox series X is Trump, the PS5 is Biden

Oct 27, 2017
Umm let's not quite go overboard here, Gears 5 on the series X uses dynamic res from 1080p-4k, averages just over 1700p in action during the campaign according to DF, going to go to them instead of IGN for tech analysis. The SX version is using a more advanced form of global illumination yes, but also not the (highly taxing) 'insane' reflections of the PC version, and has VRS to boot to further decrease the load. We'll see when the PC version gets these updates, but a 5700XT actually isn't that far off.
My mistake, didn't know they covered it already:

www.eurogamer.net

What's new with Gears 5 on Xbox Series X?

One of the trends we're seeing with this new generation of consoles is the arrival of visual updates for last generatio…

So that makes it like 64% of 4K on average? In the DF article, they seem to be saying it's running with the equivalent of "Ultra" setting for everything but with the screen-space GI added. Maybe using it as a benchmark isn't perfect since some things are higher but then VRS makes it more optimized.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Seems like Andrea Pessino was right

Looking at how awfully designed and half-baked the firmware/dashboard is, I really have to hold back my laughter a bit here.
Seriously, this tweet sounds like fanboying if you own the the console, or better, both.
Technically, maybe, we maybe find out that they put the work into it to make it easy for devs to develop stuff and to use the power better than on Xbox. And I give them that then. Also the controller is probably the best thing about the whole gen.
But "one of the most revolutionary, inspired home consoles ever designed"? Fuck no. I described just a fraction of my biggest problems with the console yesterday here.
And this text doesn't even includes that the console in general is loud as shit with a tiny coil whine in the background but also constant humming like an old PC.
When it comes to the software, with quick resume, supervised auto HDR, smart delivery and how superb they handle cross gen game updates, which is a total mess on Sony's console, the looking for group feature, auto Screenshot uploads and their, for real this gen, dead silent console, zero sound, Microsoft is years ahead here, while Sony, like I said in my first linked text, feels like they went back in time to their PS3 days.
A lot of dashboard decisions are really puzzling to me here and certainly not revolutionary.

I own both and even with the current technical flaws on some games, there are so many more aspects than that to look at. I agree with the tweet on that actually, the "look at the TF" discussions were naive, you need to look at so much more, but most points, for me personally, still go to Microsoft here. It's currently a way more well rounded platform if you look at everything.
Sony has a lot of room to improve in a lot of areas.

Nevertheless, most game differences will still stay at around 5-10% for the one or the other console and when it's not a significant texture thing like in this game and only about FPS, that will be balanced out with VRR on both consoles anyway and doesn't matter at all in the end.

Geinrendour

Jun 3, 2018
John is walking on eggshells when talking about the Series X having lower LODs lol
This.

Lots of people putting faith in things that may or may not be bugs that may or may not be fixed.
Also this.

As far as I'm aware CP2077 is getting a next-gen patch day one, it just won't have things like RT but I believe the patch does make it a native experience for the next-gen systems afaik.
Next-gen patch only next year. Best we can hope for in an option for unlock framerates on PS4 Pro and One X (though they probably can't run well like that) to play smoothly on backcomp on the new machines.

Matic

Oct 25, 2017
That observation you just made is precisely my point. The disparity in loading times between first-party and third-party games proves why this first batch of multiplatform titles is not an accurate indication of what these consoles can do. Imagine a scenario in which our only performance metric of PS5's SSD was the likes of Dirt 5 and Valhalla. Would you not have people here doubting the hardware and Cerny himself?

It might be that this sort of performance ends up being representative of each console's capabilities, but it is not unreasonable to not consider these benchmarks as enough to reach a definitive conclusion just yet.

It is not but that goes further to my point that PS5 will continue to improve also so this gap may never change. And like I said Sony has shown us the power of their SSD, MS has not shown us anything to prove Xbox is more powerful. So until then the tested results is what matters otherwise I would believe 2008 Lambo with its 520 HP V10 was much faster than a 2009 GTR 480 HP TT 3.8.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Looking at how awfully designed and half-baked the firmware/dashboard is, I really have to hold back my laughter a bit here.
Seriously, this tweet sounds like fanboying if you own the the console, or better, both.
Technically, maybe, we maybe find out that they put the work into it to make it easy for devs to develop stuff and to use the power better than on Xbox. And I give them that then. Also the controller is probably the best thing about the whole gen.
But "one of the most revolutionary, inspired home consoles ever designed"? Fuck no. I described just a fraction of my biggest problems with the console yesterday here.
And this text doesn't even includes that the console in general is loud as shit with a tiny coil whine in the background but also constant humming like an old PC.
When it comes to the software, with quick resume, supervised auto HDR, smart delivery and how superb they handle cross gen game updates, which is a total mess on Sony's console, the looking for group feature, auto Screenshot uploads and their, for real this gen, dead silent console, zero sound, Microsoft is years ahead here, while Sony, like I said in my first linked text, feels like they went back in time to their PS3 days.
A lot of dashboard decisions are really puzzling to me here and certainly not revolutionary.

I own both and even with the current technical flaws on some games, there are so many more aspects than that to look at. I agree with the tweet on that actually, the "look at the TF" discussions were naive, you need to look at so much more, but most points, for me personally, still go to Microsoft here. It's currently a way more well rounded platform if you look at everything.

Nevertheless, most game differences will still stay at around 5-10% for the one or the other console and when it's not a significant texture thing like in this game and only about FPS, that will be balanced out with VRR on both consoles anyway and doesn't matter at all in the end.

Your complaints have little to do with the games which is what the tweet was referring to.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
From what I believe they mentioned, I think they said there would sort of be a PS5/X|S patch on launch to take advantage of some of the consoles features, however the actual next-gen version of the game isn't slated until next year. Think it was originally early-ish, however who the hell knows with these days and COVID still.

Oh interesting, didn't know about this launch day next gen patch, hopefully it's not rushed and half baked as I image lots of people will want to play this first on next gen.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Think about this though: In these multiplatform games, which subsystem is underperforming more compared to its paper specs? XSX's GPU or PS5's SSD?
I kind of assumed that the PS5's IO was what was allowing it to have much better detail in the 120fps mode, and better detail in the image quality mode.

Many people have a strangely narrow view of IO as something that speeds up a loading bar and then clocks off for the day.

Dec 31, 2017
MS didn't lie to you, what kind of post is this? Maybe you should ask the Dirt 5 developers directly why they can't release a polished game, as this is on them.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Dark1x John buddy can please answer this because this is very enigmatic.
Dirt 5, Godfall, Far cry 6 all have RT annoucned on PC but not consoles.
Did you test PC version of Dirt 5? Did it have RT? Do consoles have any version of RT? Or RT planned is planned ofr later?
Thanks.

Oct 30, 2017
And to think about a month ago, those RE8 rumors had PS5 fans in panic mode.
Considering everything we know about the PS5 development environment and how games are performing relative to the Xbox, and that REVIII started as a cross gen project, it never made a lot of sense.

If anything, it shows that Capcom was having some unique issues not necessarily the fault of the PS5.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
My bet is that smart delivery is adding a layer of abstraction, code wise, which is adding overhead and impacting performance. I'd expect system level patches from Microsoft to improve this over time, similar to what you'd see with a GPU driver update.

That being said, MS needs to speak up because this is becoming a recurring issue and it's clear that it's not a one off anymore.

Dec 31, 2017
I kind of assumed that the PS5's IO was what was allowing it to have much better detail in the 120fps mode, and better detail in the image quality mode.

Many people have a strangely narrow view of IO as something that speeds up a loading bar and then clocks off for the day.
Wonder how we got all that 120fps at ultra détails years ago on PC then...

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hope it is a bug because that looks awful on series X...the headlight went from current gen to PS1 poly count.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017

He said within a year from its launch and you highlighted all of problems you've dealt with which can be remedied through firmware updates. Sony decided of creating an entirely new OS for the PS5 so it's not gonna be perfect day 1.

From a hardware standpoint it's appears that the PS5 has lived up to or exceeded expectations.

Oct 30, 2017
Also, what do we know about capture card technology?

Will DF be limited to capturing 120hz games at 1080p for the foreseeable future? Or should some better technology be available?

Oct 27, 2017
Dark1x John buddy can please answer this because this is very enigmatic.
Dirt 5, Godfall, Far cry 6 all have RT annoucned on PC but not consoles.
Did you test PC version of Dirt 5? Did it have RT? Do consoles have any version of RT? Or RT planned is planned ofr later?
Thanks.

The only multiplatform games with RT that I can think of are DMC5 and Watch Dogs Legion where they're using RT reflections.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Next-gen patch only next year. Best we can hope for in an option for unlock framerates on PS4 Pro and One X (though they probably can't run well like that) to play smoothly on backcomp on the new machines.
Everything I've read seems to say otherwise? https://www.usgamer.net/articles/cyberpunk-2077-will-get-a-more-robust-next-gen-upgrade for example. They should get a day one patch to make them native and give some upgrades with further upgrades next year.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
People seem to be attacking the S for the 120fps mode but it seems to more or less be doing what MS said it would

Same performance with a worse resolution

576p is bad, but the main consoles are also pushing out last gen resolutions in that mode, so it's not really a massive win for anyone, if anything I'm impressed the S is only a little off the other two when it comes to frame rate. If anything, my take away is 120fps modes look like a waste of time for anything that is pushing AAA visuals

The kind of people buying an S probably don't really care for 120fps, or even know what it is, anyway, so it's not a huge loss for them

I think we need to see a game built for next gen only, that runs on all 3 systems, before we can actually judge. Most of these cross gen games were built around the limitations of last gen specs and then given added bells and whistles that the new gen systems allow

Compare Ass Creed 4 on PS4 running at 30fps in 1080, to how much better AC:O looked on PS4. True next gen games will look and run better than cross gen games, on all 3 systems, hopefully

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the tech heads I follow woke up and seem to think this is a software or toolkit issue. The 120hz scenario is simply too egregious.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
But you just said you sent it to the online retailer already 30mins ago in this same thread...... 🤔. Maybe get your story straight before telling it

Edit: Now the post is gone

Got 'em

Uhm...no. Where did you see that???
I did not. Can you post the link?

You realize that mods can see your edits, right? Or if someone wanted to take the time they can look at a google archive of your edited post before you edited? Why lie about something like this lmao