• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
completely agree

there was a time not that along ago where halo was a launch game, we knew everything about the XSX, sony was being coy, game pass was blowing up with other games being ready for launch, and it all made sense to buy the console

today... no launch game, poor performance, other games delayed, sony knocking it out of the park

if you were deciding today what to get, it would be a PS5 without doubt

xbox are having an awful launch, and the narrative is already being set to purchase its competitor because it's performing better and has more new things to experience
Every Xbox is selling out instantly, awful launch, just awful.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I find it weird they have to keep making excuses for the inferior Xbox performance , seems weird. Unless they have solid information and first hand knowledge i don't think they should be speculating as much IMO
DF has insider information about the SDK's and the 120FPS mode car comparison is a bug. Unless you think cars on Series X should look less detailed than Forza Motorsport 3-4 (Xbox 360) and GT5-6 cars (PS3).

Kiznaiverr

Banned
Nov 18, 2020
User Banned (permanent): platform warring, account in junior phase
xbox fans keep the excuses coming. Microsoft touted it as the strongest console, best launch lineup in xbox history, multiplats play best on series x, jabs at sony and lower latency controller but we're not seeing it. You guys should demand better

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Cerny is definitely awesome (he worked on Sonic 2!) and it seems like everything he said would be PS5 strengths are PS5 strengths. It's living up to its counterpart GPU while the XSX is not.

Think about this though: In these multiplatform games, which subsystem is underperforming more compared to its paper specs? XSX's GPU or PS5's SSD?

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
completely agree

there was a time not that along ago where halo was a launch game, we knew everything about the XSX, sony was being coy, game pass was blowing up with other games being ready for launch, and it all made sense to buy the console

today... no launch game, poor performance, other games delayed, sony knocking it out of the park

if you were deciding today what to get, it would be a PS5 without doubt

xbox are having an awful launch, and the narrative is already being set to purchase its competitor because it's performing better and has more new things to experience
Common, they perform very similar. If we didn't have df, nobody would have noticed or cared.

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is not the devs and not Xbox. The problem is the assumption that Xbox will definitely perform better. Everyone looking seriously at the specs could tell you it will be close and no clear winner will emerge, which is what eventually will be the case. They have 2 different approaches to solving the same problem even though the GPU architecture is the same, and frankly it's fascinating.

www.techspot.com

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Review

The Radeon RX 6800 XT is AMD's new high-end gaming graphics card targeting the GeForce RTX 3080. We've had the card in our labs for a while,...
www.ign.com

Xbox Series X: Gears 5 Performance Analysis - IGN

We take an in-depth look at the technical performance of Gears 5 on the Xbox Series X, and how this "enhanced" version stacks up against the original on Xbox One.

If you compare Gears 5 and Dirt 5 (and other multiplatform launch games), Gears 5 on XSX performs like a 6800 XT while a lot of these third party games have the xbox returning performance comparable to a 5700 XT. That type of performance delta doesn't come down to an architectural strategy decision. Obviously something is fucked up and the independent developers are left flapping in the wind trying to catch up to an internal studio that probably had a lot more time to get adjusted to the new dev kits.

So basically, MS is probably at fault for how third party games struggle at launch. I wonder if this is because they wanted to wait to make sure they have all the RDNA2 features or if the problem is something else.

Edit: Actually as some other posters mentioned, DF already looked into this and apparently it runs a dynamic res that averages aroudn 1728P (64% of 4K) but it has screen-space global illumination and VRS added so taken together, it gets a bit messy to do a comparison with PC graphics cards

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Based on a few launch cross gen games are people declaring the PS5 the winner in multiplatform power department?

I mean, I'm no tech guy, but i thought it was common knowledge the PS5 is currently easier to develop for due to Xbox's late and underdeveloped tools....

For now I'd say it's winning in the multiplat performance dept. And to say it is, for now, is not jumping the gun, it's just how it seems to be for the moment. Maybe next year, maybe the year after, it'll be different. Who knows.

As for the second point, it's only becoming common knowledge recently, as an explainer for why PS5 is performing as well, or better, than the Series X in these games. Until recently, the conventional wisdom was that the Series X would hold a small but notable (~20%) performance lead in multiplats. That this is not happening, yet, is why these comparisons are attracting so much attention at the moment...simply because this was not the commonly expected outcome, at all, and it'll probably take a while before these results are less surprising.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
xbox fans keep the excuses coming. Microsoft touted it as the strongest console, best launch lineup in xbox history, multiplats play best on series x, jabs at sony and lower latency controller but we're not seeing it. You guys should demand better
What is this console warring garbage? Good lord. For all of the great work DF does the "discussion" that arises from their videos is anything but.

Hasi

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
But its reflective of what we are seeing now right?

Do you realize that this is the lamest excuse to make?

What we are seeing now isn't reflective of what we will see in 2/3/4/5 years.

Not a single person here has an idea of what we will see in the next couple of years. How the tools of either platform would age...nothing. That excuse is still entrenched in the assumption that the XSX would and should just perform better.

But we can all see exactly how things look right now.

And that Cerny thig or the PS5 only winning because te is underperforming... lol. That like saying you only lost a race because you tripped. In 5 different races.

Nah it is pretty ridiculous that people on both sides spent a year coming up with elaborate theories of how their consoles would be better than the other, and based on 3 cross-gen games at launch having minor performance advantages (AC, CoD and Dirt versus DMC5 having a few extra frames under raytracing on XSX, if I'm keeping score correctly?) it is decided which of these sides was "correct".

It's pretty clear that PS5 is performing better at the moment, but that doesn't at all mean that all these theories of "balanced system", "secret sauce", "fast but narrow", "custom RDNA", "Cerny's individual brilliance" are confirmed. Likely some of them will have something to do with it but there are so many factors that could explain what we are seeing. The same way you would laugh me out of the room if I came in here and said that the 2fps difference in DMC5 cutscenes proves that Xbox won because they have "full RDNA2" or that more CU cores mean it's the better raytracing system.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
This has been well documented that the GDK has been behind greatly. This is not a made up story

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
That's not a result of the GDK. That's a result of MS optimizing its BC process over the last 6 years, which is separate from their introduction of the GDK. They could have both results without switching to the GDK so late in the XSX/XSS development process.

that's exactly what I mean. They are doing this for the same reasons. Extra work now. Less work later.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I would be curious for Digital Foundry to look into the Dirt 5 6800 XT vs 3080 FE benchmarks results, there's some fuckery going on. Gamers found that in Godfall you could tweak the ini file to enable RT on RTX cards and oh, oops, variable rate shading also was linked to that and saw a boost in performances. Would not be surprised that Dirt 5 is also doing something similar.

Feb 8, 2018
But its reflective of what we are seeing now right?

Do you realize that this is the lamest excuse to make?

What we are seeing now isn't reflective of what we will see in 2/3/4/5 years.

Not a single person here has an idea of what we will see in the next couple of years. How the tools of either platform would age...nothing. That excuse is still entrenched in the assumption that the XSX would and should just perform better.

But we can all see exactly how things look right now.

And that Cerny thig or the PS5 only winning because te is underperforming... lol. That like saying you only lost a race because you tripped. In 5 different races.

I agree with no one knowing how the situation will be in the near future. Secret sauce of either console could turn things around, My guess is they'll end up being comparable which shouldn't be shocking to anyone attempting to catch up with pre launch next-gen console PR.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This I can't agree with (well I agree that everyone should get a PC but that is beside the point). I think people need to take a step back and realize that the differences between the versions are objectively minor and by no means horrible. Most of the differences pointed out so far in games would not be perceptible for the vast majority of people out there.
Yeah but I'm not "the vast majority of the people out there", I'm not as picky as DF but I have enough self-insight to know I'm not normal lol

But I always end up with all platforms so that's essentially my problem here, I never want to play an inferior version unless I get something better in return. I play most games on PC but today I don't have a good way to play PC in the living room so the best console version is my best choice here for many games.

I guess I know I shouldn't jump in head first on the XSX version of Cyberpunk 2077 at least.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I see but two separate pools can imply more latency. The tf is an advantage for shaders. But higher clocks on the gpu has their advantages too...
It's just 1 pool, just that one part of the pool is slower. I'm not sure how the overall bandwidth if affected when using both sides of the pool.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
5642545b544c4_mark_cerny.png

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As a curiosity I typed "@xboxp3" into twitter search and clicked the "latest" tab.

Matic

Oct 25, 2017
Think about this though: In these multiplatform games, which subsystem is underperforming more compared to its paper specs? XSX's GPU or PS5's SSD?

Thing is though we have proof of PS5s SSD with DeS and Miles loading times, we don't have anything exclusive or non exclusive showing us the power of the X. Miles has the best Ray Tracing for a console game and DeS is graphically the best we have ever seen. I'm sorry but MS just hasn't shown us anything to say hey Xbox is the most powerful. What does that title even matter if you have zero games to show for it including multi plat games.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
How about we wait for more multiplats to be compared in the future before we initiate the 5 stages of grief or declare the PS5 as the multiplatform king? Goddamn lol

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh... YT stream still stuck at 1080p.
Processing unfinished makes any resolution look crappy. Go back to the same video when it's 100% processed, and compare the compressed crappy picture to the fully processed 1080p. My Dirt 5 at fully processed 1080p doesn't look anything like that compressed unfinished picture.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
So even if those issues are due to immature Xbox GDK, how long before devs get a grasp on them?
Year?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Miles has the best Ray Tracing for a console game
It doesn't. For instance, Minecraft had pathtracing and Watch Dogs has raytraced reflections inside of raytraced reflections. But in terms of the overall package of framerate, res, and general graphical fidelity, Miles is obv the best looking.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Yeah Cyberpunk is just last-gen BC at launch, which XSX definitely has the advantage on.

Maybe, though we've been seeing a few PS4 Pro games running better in BC than their One X counterparts due to checkerboard utilization rather than native resolution. It'll be interesting to see what the game ends up using, though I definitely wouldn't be surprised if Series X has an advantage:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
How about we wait for more multiplats to be compared in the future before we initiate the 5 stages of grief or declare the PS5 as the multiplatform king? Goddamn lol
It is the multi-platform king right now. Games like Watchdogs Legion also run better on PS5, even though DF hasn't covered this yet. But yeah whether it still will be in 6 months or a year, who knows. But as of right now, it is what it is.

Edit: well actually, PC is the real multi-platform king of course. A 3080 will decimate the performance seen here. But nobody is interested in that lol

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
iONBgZ1.jpg

Not good for the XSX on image quality mode targeting 60fps

I can see the difference from 12 feet away on this low bitrate YT video

Also the AF on XSX is very low. That should be a thing of the past on console.

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Which begs the question... is Xbox IO less bottlenecked? Was Cerny wrong? Does Jason know what he is talking about? /s

This is obviously sarcasm and I simply made this post to show how jumping to conclusions to early isn't good like many in here seem to do. Sure, currently PS5 performs better and the ball is definitely in Xbox court to show what their more powerful system based on CPU, GPU and RAM specs can do. But as you somewhat mentioned we could equally question the stellar IO capabilities of the PS5 based on the results, which think would be silly.

It's to early and we haven't even scratch the surface on what these machines can do. I expect better results of Xbox in the future as many insiders have said their tools came in hot and are new, which involves a learning curve. Thus there should be a bit more headroom for improvements. I also expect the superior IO of the PS5 to show their strengths a bit more going forward.

The consoles will always be close and there always will be those cases of the "weaker" system providing better results. But I think those will be the exception and not like currently the norm.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
So even if those issues are due to immature Xbox GDK, how long before devs get a grasp on them?
Year?
Tinfoil time: Destiny, cyberpunk 2077 next gen patch , and Medium have been delayed due to new version of the tools for Xbox. Which would fix up some of the problems that we seen already. As these three titles have Xbox marketing

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
People declared the xsx the multiplatform king with 0 games compared. Has been the ongoing talk here for almost a year.
In fact until a few days ago many people still were saying 'xsx for multiplatform, ps5 for exclusives'.
And here we are.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Tinfoil time: Destiny, cyberpunk 2077 next gen patch , and Medium have been delayed due to new version of the tools for Xbox. Which would fix up some of the problems that we seen already. As these three titles have Xbox marketing
Destiny was not delayed because of Xbox GDK. Beyond Light launched totally broken after being delayed, it was obvious that Bungie didn't have manpower to deliver the next gen version in time.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Processing unfinished makes any resolution look crappy. Go back to the same video when it's 100% processed, and compare the compressed crappy picture to the fully processed 1080p. My Dirt 5 at fully processed 1080p doesn't look anything like that compressed unfinished picture.

I am aware of that. However, it seems like DF's videos take far longer compared to many others who also upload 4K content.

The Demon's Souls in-depth analysis which went up over 3 days ago is STILL stuck at 1080p despite the PS4 and XB1 YT app saying that it was uploaded as 4K content (which the source file on the patreon site corroborates). I have a hard time believing that YT is still processing that upload for well over 72 hours after upload.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
It is the multi-platform king right now. Games like Watchdogs Legion also run better on PS5, even though DF hasn't covered this yet. But yeah whether it still will be in 6 months or a year, who knows. But as of right now, it is what it is.
I really do believe it's due to the SDK not being "mature" enough compared to the PS5's so I'm just gonna wait with my conclusions. I hope for some people's sake that these differences disappear in future third party games though. I've seen some people having a really hard time with the Xbox Series X not outperforming the PS5 as they expected/hoped.

As a curiosity I typed "@xboxp3" into twitter search and clicked the "latest" tab.
Oh wow lol this is what I meant.

Last edited:

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I am aware of that. However, it seems like DF's videos take far longer compared to many others who also upload 4K content.

The Demon's Souls in-depth analysis which went up over 3 days ago is STILL stuck at 1080p despite the PS4 and XB1 YT app saying that it was uploaded as 4K content (which the source file on the patreon site corroborates). I have a hard time believing that YT is still processing that upload for well over 72 hours after upload.
A lot of it has to do with video length and encoded format and bitrate. It took an hour and a half to full process my video that was less than 4 mins long.

MY Astro video, 40 mins long, 100+Mbs bitrate, took just over 4 full days to process.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
People declared the xsx the multiplatform king with 0 games compared. Has been the ongoing talk here for almost a year.
In fact until a few days ago many people still were saying 'xsx for multiplatform, ps5 for exclusives'.
And here we are.
The same could be said about the people saying PS5 will load 2-3 times faster and yet here we are.

I think the more interesting discussion at this point is why are these expectations not met... Tools, launch games, or whatever it may be are all topics worth discussing.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
www.techspot.com

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Review

The Radeon RX 6800 XT is AMD's new high-end gaming graphics card targeting the GeForce RTX 3080. We've had the card in our labs for a while,...
www.ign.com

Xbox Series X: Gears 5 Performance Analysis - IGN

We take an in-depth look at the technical performance of Gears 5 on the Xbox Series X, and how this "enhanced" version stacks up against the original on Xbox One.

If you compare Gears 5 and Dirt 5 (and other multiplatform launch games), Gears 5 on XSX performs like a 6800 XT
Umm let's not quite go overboard here, Gears 5 on the series X uses dynamic res from 1080p-4k, averages just over 1700p in action during the campaign according to DF, going to go to them instead of IGN for tech analysis. The SX version is using a more advanced form of global illumination yes, but also not the (highly taxing) 'insane' reflections of the PC version, and has VRS to boot to further decrease the load. We'll see when the PC version gets these updates, but a 5700XT actually isn't that far off.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but I'm not "the vast majority of the people out there", I'm not as picky as DF but I have enough self-insight to know I'm not normal lol

But I always end up with all platforms so that's essentially my problem here, I never want to play an inferior version unless I get something better in return. I play most games on PC but today I don't have a good way to play PC in the living room so the best console version is my best choice here for many games.

I guess I know I shouldn't jump in head first on the XSX version of Cyberpunk 2077 at least.

Consoles (and fixed hardware platforms in general) are all about compromises, it can't be helped. The differences being small is not that bad of a scenario all things considered.

Thing is though we have proof of PS5s SSD with DeS and Miles loading times, we don't have anything exclusive or non exclusive showing us the power of the X. Miles has the best Ray Tracing for a console game and DeS is graphically the best we have ever seen. I'm sorry but MS just hasn't shown us anything to say hey Xbox is the most powerful. What does that title even matter if you have zero games to show for it including multi plat games.

That observation you just made is precisely my point. The disparity in loading times between first-party and third-party games proves why this first batch of multiplatform titles is not an accurate indication of what these consoles can do. Imagine a scenario in which our only performance metric of PS5's SSD was the likes of Dirt 5 and Valhalla. Would you not have people here doubting the hardware and Cerny himself?

It might be that this sort of performance ends up being representative of each console's capabilities, but it is not unreasonable to not consider these benchmarks as enough to reach a definitive conclusion just yet.