• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
For those with VRR, the Series X may be the best experience once the details in the 120 fps mode are fixed.

Great video by John as usual and also have to say the point that Richard makes in regards to being a bit more understanding when it comes to these issues. Between covid and there being 9 consoles to support, it must be so tough on the devs to deal with everything. This is why the sooner cross gen ends, the better it will be for everyone

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Oh my god.
That Cerny secret sauce is really doing wonders, wow at the PS5 version!

Yeah, because that last picture comparison has definitely something to do with hardware. You console warriors are so annoying. Holy moly.

Would like to know whats up with those Xbox builds. Especially with those bugs in Valhalla and right here. No time for optimisations? I dont know, but something is absolutely wrong and it has nothing to do with hardware.

Dictator Do you know something or have a feeling what it could be? Because well, somethings up.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Maybe I'm minority here but I wouldn't take this hit in quality for the frame rate mode, just playing to be sure of course, but man it's way worse(in any machine).
Yeah I have an LGC9 and I didnt find the 120hz mode all that useful, it looks significantly worse than the other 2 modes. The added frame rate is nice, but its not that noticeable in a racing game. Quality mode is the one to go with I think, the game really does look great, its a shame what youtube compression does to it though.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk should be fine, it's a PS4 / XBX game built using the old toolset. In fact, the Series X version should be pretty significantly better than PS5 there, given "Xbox One with Gen 9 awareness" games are possible on that, whereas PS4 games with PS5 awareness aren't.
Gonna save this post for future reference

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
EnW1JUDXMAM2xCr
So there's a big difference even in the Image Quality mode, not only for the performance one. Wow, this is surprising

And wtf is up with that 576p on Series S? My god, that's too low even for an Xbox 360

Moai

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chile
User warned: Console warring
Another bad look on the xsx. The rethoric that power gap is non existent is already established and now the xsx has no games and no power advantage in the mind of the average gamer.
This is gonna be an even harder generation for ms.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
That's one really BIG oversight being that it is across the entire game in a specific mode.

Oversight does seem unlikely at the testing level, but it could be the result of an oversight on the development level. It could also easily be a situation where a massive bug was discovered, and the only quick workaround to make launch was to lower detail, and that can be for reasons completely unrelated to power.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I only just started playing this morning on PS5, I think I left it in the first mode (Image quality?) and it looks and runs pretty great, at least in the first 5 or 6 races I've done. I'm actually quite impressed.

I'm gonna check out the other modes as I go.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
What in the world? I was not expecting this at all with 3rd party games. Is this what people meant when they said the series S would hold back next gen? Hopefully they can fix that. They mentioned how DMC got fixed on the PS5 so it should get fixed here too. Richard mentioned that having it ready for X, S and PC from the getgo could be a potential reasoning here.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
Ps5 and series X are basically the same. And series S is confirmed to be a mistake once again (imagine this thing trying to run games 2-3 years from now).

this is basically what its going to be for the foreseeable future.
I am going to guess you have not watched all the video, not basically the same, lots of differences.

Holy shit, what the fuck is this?
As said in the video likely a bug. This is not the look MS want for the launch of a new console.
That Series S footage looks rough and this is a cross-gen game. How are things going to look and perform on this thing when someone feeds it a real next-gen game?
When the Series X starts eating monsters for Breakfast the Series S is going to choke!

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I think its obvious what is happening. There is only so much time for developers and there are two Xbox's to optimise for, the X obviously has the power to run on par or at higher rates than PS5 but when you have resources spread between the two systems then you can not prioritise one.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
And wtf is up with that 576p on Series S? My god, that's too low even for an Xbox 360

You really need to contextualise that at that resolution it's running in 120fps mode. That's very ambitious for the console, and I'm surprised it's an option at all. The default modes run at a respectable resolution.

Keep it mind ACV runs at 30 on XSS compared to 60 on XSX.

Last edited:

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
The Series X version will be fine after a patch, the overhead and sheer performance is there in spades already. Outlets were impressed with Dirt 5 on it earlier on as well, weren't they?
Though, both it and PS5 see some dips in the 120fps mode, not that anyone would actually notice with the naked eye, unless there was a stutter before the drop.

But man, 900p sometimes in the performance mode for both Series X and PS5? If games like Gears 5, BLOPS, and Warzone can run at 120fps without dipping so low in the resolution, then I wonder what's making Dirt 5 so different? Is it the different assets, all of the details?
DF said the 120hz mode is a dynamic 1440p with the lowest it goes is 1080p. XSS is the one that goes well bellow 900p and all the way to 570p.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna save this post for future reference
Hey, I said should! We'll see how it turns out. If it isn't, I'll certainly be confused (or it would likely mean the PS5 version is "native" from launch, which I'm not expecting but could be the case.

But to clarify what I'm saying- the game is essentially a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X game at launch. It's not running natively as a PS5 or XBSX game. In these cases, XB1X usually came out ahead, and has another added advantage with BC on the SX allowing for enhancements that PS5 doesn't allow (see Rocket League and Squadrons).

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
PS5 is going to win all these multiplat performance face offs, isn't it?

Maybe it's time to come to terms with the idea that the PS5's focus on efficiency and customizations makes it the most powerful console this gen in the real world.
Sure Jan. Let's talk in a year.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
We know spec wise the only true advantage of the PS5 is the ssd, something else needs to be at play

Because if this was the case...... why not buy a 3070 and just overclock it instead of a 3080 (I know this is a stupid analogy)
This is not true. Specs wise PS5 has several advantages over Series X besides SSD.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
You really need to contextualise that it's running in 120fps mode. That's very ambitious for the console, and I'm surprised it's an option at all. Keep it mind ACV runs at 30 on XSS compared to 60 on XSX.

Again, Image Quality Mode is not the 120fps mode. It's a separate issue aside from the Series X loading drastically lower assets than the PS5 in Performance Mode, which DF assumes is a bug that will be fixed.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
at this point I'm thinking there must be issues with the xsx, because these performance differences across various are hard to wrap my head around. Hope it is addressed and fixed with updates somehow

Oh boy. PS5 120 FPS mode is using better assets than Xbox Series X. I expect console warriors will have a field day.
As someone who spent money on an xsx , I'm disappointed. Very.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
John is walking on eggshells when talking about the Series X having lower LODs lol

one

Nov 30, 2017
User banned (3 days): Console warring, trolling
Which stage is this, Denial - Anger - Bargaining - Depression - Acceptance

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I can't be the only one that looks at these comparisons and thinks "wow, something is wrong with XSX" as opppsed to "wow PS5 is performing better than expected" right?

Ignoring the comparison, the XSX is not performing how it should be.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Again, Image Quality Mode is not the 120fps mode. It's a separate issue aside from the Series X loading drastically lower assets than the PS5 in Performance Mode, which DF assumes is a bug that will be fixed.

I'm sorry, but I think you're wrong. The mention of 570p was in relation to Frame Rate mode, not Image Quality mode.

I just finished watching the video.

(Stolen from the write up by chandoog)

- Image Quality Mode
- Series S tops out at 1440p but mostly 1080p or below.

- Resolution Mode
- Series S still mostly sticks to 1080p range.

- Frame Rate / Performance Mode
- Series S as low as 570p.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Yeah, because that last picture comparison has definitely something to do with hardware. You console warriors are so annoying. Holy moly.

Would like to know whats up with those Xbox builds. Especially with those bugs in Valhalla and right here. No time for optimisations? I dont know, but something is absolutely wrong and it has nothing to do with hardware.
Where did I say it has anything to do with the hardware itself or specs? Calm down man
I was just saying that right now PS5 seems way more easier to develop on and that was the goal that Cerny wanted to achieve giving what he said back in march. Also, every developer seems pretty excited to work on PS5, maybe we're starting to see why

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Tools were one of the biggest weaknesses of PS2 and PS3 back in the days. Since PS4 Sony has been able to turn them in one of their strongest asset.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I'm sorry, but I think you're wrong. The mention of 576p was in relation to Frame Rate mode, not Image Quality mode.

You didn't read the poster you responded to.

" So there's a big difference even in the Image Quality mode, not only for the performance one. Wow, this is surprising "

They were talking about the difference between the PS5 and Series X in *image quality mode* for which there is a significant difference. There are screenshots of this in the thread, and DF talks about this in the video at about 6:15 to 6:30.

This is not the "120 fps" mode issue which is clearly loading drastically lower quality assets and IS most likely a bug.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
SDK issue or not, there's an edge to PS5 on most games, it's facts.

But it's so damn small I don't give a shit

Enjoy the 50 page thread

I don't think it will reach 50 pages because it's just not surprising anymore...

If a game comes that gives the edge to the Series X then it will reach 50 once again, until then it will be bussines as

And I'm not sure why they released the S at launch, a mistake indeed...just release it a couple years in, when the early adopters all got their Xs.

Or even better just skip the S altogether, save all the R&D and money sunk into it and release a slim model in a couple years in with a cheaper price. Saves the same purpose with no conpromises! I don't knowa what they were thinking...

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Call me crazy but after reading most of these posts and comparison videos.... I really think fuses issues do come down to tools (even though I questioned that aspect)

Also I really believe that the PS5 was suppose to come out in 2019. These tools seem like almost a year ahead than MS's, and well enough to overcome the specs difference of the series x.

[there was a post by brad sams showing the development tools for the scarlet family being approved for development back in July]

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
The one thing I'm gonna say is that DF has sold me on VRR. I'm getting a new TV just for that

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
You didn't read the poster you responded to.

" So there's a big difference even in the Image Quality mode, not only for the performance one. Wow, this is surprising "

They were talking about the difference between the PS5 and Series X in *image quality mode* for which there is a significant difference. There are screenshots of this in the thread, and DF talks about this in the video at about 6:15 to 6:30.

This is not the "120 fps" mode issue which is clearly loading drastically lower quality assets and IS a bug.

I did read the poster. He said two things. The second of which was " And wtf is up with that 576p on Series S? My god, that's too low even for an Xbox 360 "

I've updated my quote so it now only has the relevant sentence.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I think that this needs to be stressed despite it being said many times throughout the last year, TeraFlops is NOT an absolute measure of performance, it is a measure of capacity for calculating within a second, if after calculating one thing in the next operation there is no data to work on in the caches, and thus the GPU's "TeraFlops" are not being fully utilized, PS5's higher clock and cache scrubbers are both utilized to minimize that idle time.

Tools are absolutely a part of this too, but they are not the sole reason for advantages popping up in those early games, and as games will get more complex, the need for immediate data access might get even higher.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
You really need to contextualise that at that resolution it's running in 120fps mode. That's very ambitious for the console, and I'm surprised it's an option at all. The default modes run at a respectable resolution.

Keep it mind ACV runs at 30 on XSS compared to 60 on XSX.
Yes, you're absolutely right, but in this case the fault is on Microsoft side. They announced and marketed the console writing everywhere 120FPS, 1440p and stuff like that, so it's kinda disappointing to see a cross-gen game hitting 576p.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Another bad look on the xsx. The rethoric that power gap is non existent is already established and now the xsx has no games and no power advantage in the mind of the average gamer.
This is gonna be an even harder generation for ms.

the average gamer doesnt watch DF content. We are not the "average gamer", one day people will finally understand this.

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
I think its obvious what is happening. There is only so much time for developers and there are two Xbox's to optimise for, the X obviously has the power to run on par or at higher rates than PS5 but when you have resources spread between the two systems then you can not prioritise one.

This is probably correct. PS5 will outsell both xboxes fairly handily. Even if you give the same development resources to both platforms, you now have to split that Xbox team into two to optimize SX and SS. Sony is much more developer friendly from that perspective.

Also for those who think the tools are going to catch up, that's not really all that likely. They will get better, but so will Sony's and Sony has the most talented studios in the business all contributing to their technology base.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Or even better just skip the S altogether, save all the R&D and money sunk into it and release a slim model in a couple years in with a cheaper price. Saves the same purpose with no conpromises! I don't knowa what they were thinking...

MS has said in their presentations that they are no longer seeing cost reductions from going to mlre advanced nodes.

Pantato

Nov 5, 2019
Hey, I said should! We'll see how it turns out. If it isn't, I'll certainly be confused (or it would likely mean the PS5 version is "native" from launch, which I'm not expecting but could be the case.

But to clarify what I'm saying- the game is essentially a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X game at launch. It's not running natively as a PS5 or XBSX game. In these cases, XB1X usually came out ahead, and has another added advantage with BC on the SX allowing for enhancements that PS5 doesn't allow (see Rocket League and Squadrons).
If that's the case, the PS5 will have less pixels to push than the XSX, and most likely will have better performance, as that was the case with Sekiro