• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, they came right out and said they were disappointed that Halo: Infinite is a cross-gen title instead of being exclusive to the Series X. Hard to disagree. Putting in on the base Xbox One is really going to limit the overall scope of the game.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Some of the people here focusing on the tflop numbers reminds me back of the playground talks in the 90s. We back in the bit wars again, boys....
Time to do the math like the Atari jaguar

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, they came right out and said they were disappointed that Halo: Infinite is a cross-gen title instead of being exclusive to the Series X. Hard to disagree. Putting in on the base Xbox One is really going to limit the overall scope of the game.

I think it will run very poorly on the OG Xbox One, so agree entirely. Make it a launch day exclusive and you will have at least the Halo crowd on board.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
How big is the APU going to be if its 12TF plus RT hardware, and a 8 core Ryzen 2 CPU. At 12TF its at more than double the GPU power of the OneX. A 5700 XT is already 251 mm² and thats only 9.7 TF.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Didn't phil say it was 12 TF?

I really don't think he did. I believe it was The Verge and Windows Central and that's it.

It's disappointing but logical, back when the game was starting development there wasn't a Scarlett yet. But it's definitely a bummer.

Honestly, now seeing the trailer bits in this video from last year's trailer it just doesn't wow me much at all.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I think it will run very poorly on the OG Xbox One, so agree entirely. Make it a launch day exclusive and you will have at least the Halo crowd on board.

I think it will run fine, but it just means that from day one, the scope and scale of the game was limited and designed to run on those pathetic Jaugar CPU cores. Sure, the Series X version will run with better textures, graphical effects, 4K, etc, but the extremely outdated CPU/RAM combo on the original One no doubt had an effect on the overall scale and complexity of the game.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
What issues has that guy had with suspend resume on Xbox One? He said it works flawlessly on PS4 and not Xbox One.
The few times I used it on xbox one I always got worse performance in the games I was playing, games like FIFA wouldn't connect back to the server, and I was always forced to reboot.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I will eat a sandwich if it actually does turn out to be 12TF. I don't fuck around.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
It's just you can't just say less than one year out of release that the original console the game was made for is no longer considered. Wouldn't be their best interest to drop an install base.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It's just you can't just say less than one year out of release that the original console the game was made for is no longer considered. Wouldn't be their best interest to drop an install base.

This used to be the standard way of doing things though, along with being the primary way to advance game design/technology. The purpose of a new console used to be to show off what the system can truly do, and what games can look like on it when they're designed from the ground up for the new hardware.

A console with no exclusive games or killer apps becomes much less exciting.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Some of the people here focusing on the tflop numbers reminds me back of the playground talks in the 90s. We back in the bit wars again, boys....
Time to do the math like the Atari jaguar
its like every time new consoles comes out. also means social media (if you follow a lot of gaming stuff) is going to be unbearable leading closer up to release.
Lets just hope mods here crack down on the inevitble influx of shitposts.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What issues has that guy had with suspend resume on Xbox One? He said it works flawlessly on PS4 and not Xbox One.
All too often, when trying to resume a game, it just closes the game and re-opens it or kicks back to the dashboard. Or, if it does work, it introduces performance issues. Which means I always have to reboot the darn thing before frame-rate tests anyways.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I do understand their skepticism in the 12tf number but I just can't believe that MS would be THAT disingenuous in their marketing. It would just blow up in their face once we found out the truth.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I didn't even think about the fact that halo infinite is going to be a cross gen title that has to work on the baseline Xbox one

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't really understand the disappointment over not having Halo be an XSX exclusive. Sure, the Xbox One is the baseline, but I don't think it will impact the game too much. One of the leads over at 343 was talking about how since their target is high end PCs, there's really not tech limit anymore. Halo will be fine.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
The wait for full spec reveals for both consoles is gonna kill me.
I've experienced pretty noticeable (and persistent) slowdowns in a number of games coming back from suspend, on my launch PS4. In my experience it doesn't exactly work flawlessly, but that might have changed in later models, idk.
My PS4 slim has lots of issues, often has sound but no image when resuming, and I mean the whole console, not just the game. It works much better my One X.

It might have more to do with the actual game though, who knows?

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
What is RDNA equivalent of 6TF Polaris?
I would be totally shocked if they said 2X as powerful but wasn't 12TFLOPs because clearly that is how they're relating the message.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Still though, where's he getting 12tf from? Those exact numbers haven't been mentioned yet by MS.

Where do you think WCG and the Verge got the numbers from?

MS isn't going to directly tell the audience specs yet until they're finalized but it's pretty apparent they are control leaking the numbers to outlets.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

MS isn't going to directly tell the audience specs yet until they're finalized but it's pretty apparent they are control leaking the numbers to outlets.

Agreed. These two sources are reliable and good sources. I just don't want to get my hopes up just yet.

But yeah, what you say here makes sense. It's controlled leaks and it sounds like this time DF didn't receive the leak, but TV and WC did. :)

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I do understand their skepticism in the 12tf number but I just can't believe that MS would be THAT disingenuous in their marketing. It would just blow up in their face once we found out the truth.

MS have yet to officially use the 12tf number. They have mentioned that it is twice as fast. Could leakers be jumping to the conclusion that this means 12TF based on 2 x 6TF?

Personally, I think it will be 12TF as devs would have an actual target spec.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Intresting remark indeed about the companies moving away from teraflop talk because you cant really compare TF of this gen with next gen.
Like if Lockhart is real and is 4TF. They just are gonna say more powerful then the X and better frames or something. Because of they talk about flops it gets confusing. Because 4 is less then 6.
But it really isnt.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

Are you sure those outlets are not just multiplying the Xbox One X's 6TF by 2?

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
MS have yet to officially use the 12tf number. They have mentioned that it is twice as fast. Could leakers be jumping to the conclusion that this means 12TF based on 2 x 6TF?

Personally, I think it will be 12TF as devs would have an actual target spec.

Tom Warren and WCG have both firmly said 12 so Xbox has clearly told them 12

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for the PC equivalent GPU to come out and people complain "it's not 12TFLOPs" even though it performs twice as better as the equivalent One X gpu

I dislike flop comparisons because they're not equal

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Or these outlets are just doing the same thing as everyone else without putting any thought into it. They hear it is twice as powerful as XBX so just assume it must be 12TF.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Or these outlets are just doing the same thing as everyone else without putting any thought into it. They hear it is twice as powerful as XBX so just assume it must be 12TF.

I think you're over thinking this one. Tom Warren is on era so maybe he can verify it but I'm sure it's 12 they're not just going to throw out numbers without making sure they're right