• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Didn't these threads happen in 2013 besides a couple of stand outs most games looked like remasters of the previous gen. We haven't even seen most of the upcoming games. Wasn't this more of an Indy game show case? MS giving them the limelight for once before the real AAA games are revealed.

Anyone try that Ghostrunner demo on Steam? That game is next gen like to me already. I guess we're at a point where graphics continuously impress me. Now give me those graphics at 4k 60 on a console and I'm a happy guy. Hell most of you seem to be happy with your Switch...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is the difference between Smart Delivery and Cross Buy?
smart delivery is like the server sees you playing the game on the Series X so it downloads a patch/update/whatever to take advantage of the extra hardware. crossbuy is just giving you a separate binary for a different system. the difference is, if you take the binary from a smart delivery game and swapped it from an Xbox One to a Series X, it'll work, whereas it wouldn't with Cross Buy

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
smart delivery is like the server sees you playing the game on the Series X so it downloads a patch/update/whatever to take advantage of the extra hardware. crossbuy is just giving you a separate binary for a different system.
So it might or might not save some Gigabytes of download assuming assets are shared between the versions and that you buy your games physically on disc.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hellblade has shown us an 'in-engine' trailer without gameplay. I'm not sure how we're basing anything 'next-gen' from that.
The concern about Xbox being averse to showing off next gen only games is clearly untrue, that the point. Games with release dates that land beyond 21/early 22 will be shown (they've already shown Hellblade/Project Mara which are probably still far from release).

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Video is gross. A couple of people giggling about how consoles can't possibly do what PC's can even though Series X is essentially a high end PC with all of the other advantages consoles have like low level API's, the Velocity engine and the fact 99.9% of AAA games are designed around consoles strengths and weaknesses.

How DF has fallen.
They have every right to be skeptical of the 4K60 with ray tracing claims (and yes, even without ray tracing). Skepticism on there claims at this point in the next gen cycle is healthy, not gross, especially with those disclaimers all over the place. The disclaimers are fine at this point, but so is taking experiences from similarly speced PCs to keep expectations realistic.

Deleted member 30365

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Video is gross. A couple of people giggling about how consoles can't possibly do what PC's can even though Series X is essentially a high end PC with all of the other advantages consoles have like low level API's, the Velocity engine and the fact 99.9% of AAA games are designed around consoles strengths and weaknesses.

How DF has fallen.

I mean, there is your opinion (which you probably have your own source of information) and there is Digital Foundry opinion, who were invited by Microsoft to actually see the hardware first hand.

May 10, 2019
Meantime Flight Simulator is happening in front of our eyes. Wich also shows next to graphics, that next gen is also scaling and other tech behind the game.
Talking about FS. Kind crazy DF didnt do a vid on the game yet.

That's without a doubt one game I'm absolutely excited for and hoping it will be shown at their FP event coming up.

CreamyEssentialBaboon-max-1mb.gif

UnfoldedRealDove-size_restricted.gif

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Meantime Flight Simulator is happening in front of our eyes. Wich also shows next to graphics, that next gen is also scaling and other tech behind the game.
Talking about FS. Kind crazy DF didnt do a vid on the game yet.
Hard to talk about a game where you do not have it and no one can report about the alpha/betas in-depth! They project your user name on the screen everywhere anyway.
I was expecting better from digital foundry
oh well

What do you mean?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So what point are you trying to make this time? Are you suggesting by this montage we got so far that this is what we should next gen expect, nothing more?

I think it is pretty clear what I mean. I don't think the Hellblade 2 trailer is all that representative of what the actual game will end up looking like, and I don't think we should use 'in-engine' trailers to judge whether graphics are 'next-gen enough'.

I'm sure the Series X will produce some mindblowing graphics. But non-gameplay trailers are usually a poor judge of the final product.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to talk about a game where you do not have it and no one can report about the alpha/betas in-depth! They project your user name on the screen everywhere anyway.

I mean there is a ton and tons of footage out there. All with no NDA and tons and tons of videos from the team with what tech is used and how etc. :)
I mean we had talks about games with just snippets of gameplay or info. I am not saying what to do offcourse. But just surprised there wasnt a look at it yet. When we got tons of info on the game and footage for a year. :)

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
They already showed Hellblade 2 though
Yes, but that was shown in a unrealistic format for a game, 21:9 ultrawidescreen and 24fps. It was a nice concept tech demo.

I personally don't have anything against 21:9 ratio [The Order was fine with it], but cinematic 24fps is a no go in a real game.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I think it is pretty clear what I mean. I don't think the Hellblade 2 trailer is all that representative of what the actual game will end up looking like, and I don't think we should use 'in-engine' trailers to judge whether graphics are 'next-gen enough'.

I'm sure the Series X will produce some mindblowing graphics. But non-gameplay trailers are usually a poor judge of the final product.
I agree, I don't think it is fully transparent but I do think small clips do show the actual game like when they are walking with the torch. I am more skeptical of AC Valhalla than Hellblade 2 because I think we already seen some pretty mind blowing visuals from the first game (Hellblade).

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, I don't think it is fully transparent but I do think small clips do show the actual game like when they are walking with the torch. I am more skeptical of AC Valhalla than Hellblade 2 because I think we already seen some pretty mind blowing visuals from the first game (Hellblade).
I didn't see anything in that most recent Valhalla trailer with some gameplay (obviously using a made for trailer camera) that was so special. Nothing about it seemed impossible visually to me.

Deleted member 61469

Banned
Nov 17, 2019
I'll say this, MS brought it upon themselves. They have been drumming up the power angle for months and the first time they show gameplay on their premium console, they show (graphically) middling stuff while actually promoting the poor showing as a game changer.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019

How DF has fallen.

So there's other threads on here where people are being incredibly over the top about how this showcase or whatever it is has ruined microsofts xsx momentum etc and ms are doomed. Then DF do a video where they give benefit of the doubt to a bunch of stuff with barely any gameplay shown, maybe laugh about how they can't really draw any conculsions from that then you fly into full cabin fever mode.

They can probably do something if you give them constructive criticism but there's nothing they can really take from that post.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I didn't see anything in that most recent Valhalla trailer with some gameplay (obviously using a made for trailer camera) that was so special. Nothing about it seemed impossible.
I'm not saying impossible but the visuals will be getting a downgrade even on Series X. Example is the eagle (forget its name) flies over the ship in the water. Ubisoft is well known for bullshots. I play AC Odyssey on the PC with max settings and even with HDR, which looks beautiful by the way, but the detail is way less than what Ubisoft is trying to represent here. The close-ups of the charater as well, that could be an in-game engine scene but we all know the tricks when you are actually playing the game and how character model degrades from the cutscenes.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Hellblade has shown us an 'in-engine' trailer without gameplay. I'm not sure how we're basing anything 'next-gen' from that.
We can certainly use it to gauge the quality of facial animation, environmental detail and cutscene visuals. If it wasn't meant to indicate a visual target they would've just used CG.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying impossible but the visuals will be getting a downgrade even on Series X. Example is the eagle (forget its name) flies over the ship in the water. Ubisoft is well known for bullshots. I play AC Odyssey on the PC with max settings and even with HDR, which looks beautiful by the way, but the detail is way less than what Ubisoft is trying to represent here. The close-ups of the charater as well, that could be an in-game engine scene but we all know the tricks when you are actually playing the game and how character model degrades from the cutscenes.
I'm looking at it again. Yeah, the scenes they cut in with the eagle and some other wide shots are clearly punched up and not in-game. All of the in-game stuff is clearly this gen. The ships sailing, the cloth of the sail is...not great. The waves the boat makes, the main character's animation getting off the boat, the details in the faces and clothing. It's very this gen. There are some definite fuckery shots in there though, you're right.

Deleted member 61469

Banned
Nov 17, 2019
I have to say it's fascinating how DF seems to flip-flop from one side to the other when it comes to the good graces of gamers. Sony trolls almost managed to drive Dictator out of this site with their pathetic whining and now we have people calling DF gross for covering a show MS themselves promoted as a next gen showing.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean there is a ton and tons of footage out there. All with no NDA and tons and tons of videos from the team with what tech is used and how etc. :)
I mean we had talks about games with just snippets of gameplay or info. I am not saying what to do offcourse. But just surprised there wasnt a look at it yet. When we got tons of info on the game and footage for a year. :)
maybe they are gonna do a pixel count video but need more time. they put this video out only a day after the event after all. but there's not much you can go off of with carefully selected footage to analyze. especially footage that may or may not even be running on hardware

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
ok, I'll write a short reply.

first of all, everything shown was basically within an "inside xbox" , so the format of "short trailers" and not an in-depth analysis was to be expected. and this goes for dark1x's comment
www.resetera.com

DF Direct: Xbox Series X Gameplay Reveal Reaction - Is This Next-Gen?

Oh it was perfectly clear to us. It's the focus on short trailers that didn't work for me. It's an approach I never liked for these things. Well...I think a lot of it also stems from short time tables, plans changing etc. It's tough getting together a lineup of third party games for something...

then, I expected that DF would look up those devs, especially the smaller teams and bring up some insight. you know, the interesting stuff. the "analysis".
instead of that, I watched a video starting with comments speculating how these are "based on real time rendering which causes the persistent problems that every game has" ie what shown is not indicative,
while the person who makes the game you made this comment for, said that it is NOT an in-engine CG but a demo he created playing and everything is gameplay except the end sequence which is QTE
twitter.com

FYQD on Twitter

“@PraxisDarth Actually start design UI when the game is 80% developed, this is a demo recorded by me,it's not an engine CG,however, the end of the ship is QTE,player can not control.”

Not to drag this any longer, its just that in this manner I expected more and better from DF.
Maybe in the future.

*oh, about the inside xbox episode:
for me the let down was that valhalla did not show gameplay, as we understand gameplay. had this alone been better, I guess a few thousand people would nag less

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019

and none of it is from a console? judging by the post i just replied to if they did a video on the flight sim game they would just be screamed at for not saying some rubbish like oh its coming to xsx and it will be better cause "reasons". Just had to double check and make sure i was actually in the xsx gameplay reveal thread because I'm still not sure why this even came up.

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

How DF has fallen.

gross because they're rightfully questioning cut scenes masquerading as "gameplay"?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
maybe they are gonna do a pixel count video but need more time. they put this video out only a day after the event after all. but there's not much you can go off of with carefully selected footage to analyze. especially footage that may or may not even be running on hardware
I am not talking about Series X version. Just Flight Simulator in general. Wich got tons of info and footage for a year already. And using some intresting tech with Bing maps, Azure etc. Just thought thats something right up DF their alley. I am just surprised they didnt cover it yet.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
But let's also be real. Nobody here is talking about the visual target for cutscenes.
But these are aspects that are central to Hellblade's presentation as well as pretty much every cinematic AAA game. Uncharted 4, TLoU2, Gears 5, Quantum Break, Spider-Man, GoT Etc all debuted with trailers showing off high fidelity character models and cutscene visuals.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
I have to say it's fascinating how DF seems to flip-flop from one side to the other when it comes to the good graces of gamers. Sony trolls almost managed to drive Dictator out of this site with their pathetic whining and now we have people calling DF gross for covering a show MS themselves promoted as a next gen showing.

Yeah, it is sad. I'm amazed they still interact with this forum to be honest.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
and none of it is from a console? judging by the post i just replied to if they did a video on the flight sim game they would just be screamed at for not saying some rubbish like oh its coming to xsx and it will be better cause "reasons". Just had to double check and make sure i was actually in the xsx gameplay reveal thread because I'm still not sure why this even came up.
No idea what you on about really. Just see my post above.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
They start the video saying it was disappointing, but as they go through each trailer they were seemingly positive about every game.

In a way that pretty much summed up how I reacted. Initially left a bit flat, but when I went back and watched the trailer again, I liked the look of all of the games.

So as a mid gen, "here's what's coming soon" event, it'd be great. But as (most people wanted it to be, rightly or wrongly) a 45 minute tech demo of next gen power, it was poor.

If post launch IXs were all like that, they'd be great.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
ok, I'll write a short reply.

first of all, everything shown was basically within an "inside xbox" , so the format of "short trailers" and not an in-depth analysis was to be expected. and this goes for dark1x's comment
www.resetera.com

DF Direct: Xbox Series X Gameplay Reveal Reaction - Is This Next-Gen?

Oh it was perfectly clear to us. It's the focus on short trailers that didn't work for me. It's an approach I never liked for these things. Well...I think a lot of it also stems from short time tables, plans changing etc. It's tough getting together a lineup of third party games for something...

then, I expected that DF would look up those devs, especially the smaller teams and bring up some insight. you know, the interesting stuff. the "analysis".
instead of that, I watched a video starting with comments speculating how these are "based on real time rendering which causes the persistent problems that every game has" ie what shown is not indicative,
while the person who makes the game you made this comment for, said that it is NOT an in-engine CG but a demo he created playing and everything is gameplay except the end sequence which is QTE
twitter.com

FYQD on Twitter

“@PraxisDarth Actually start design UI when the game is 80% developed, this is a demo recorded by me,it's not an engine CG,however, the end of the ship is QTE,player can not control.”

Not to drag this any longer, its just that in this manner I expected more and better from DF.
Maybe in the future.

*oh, about the inside xbox episode:
for me the let down was that valhalla did not show gameplay, as we understand gameplay. had this alone been better, I guess a few thousand people would nag less
Are you confusing what we said? For Bright Memory Infinite - we said it was showing off gameplay. Just that the gameplay was not recorded on an XSX so it is hard to comment on expected performance and features. The snippet shown in the MS stream was just the PC version.

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017

This is something EVERYONE should keep in mind. Anyone else remember the first and to date mindblowing Watch_Dogs presentation? Yeah, that was IN-ENGINE. Look what happened later. The same will 100% apply to Hellblade 2. You'll never see this fidelity in your gameplay. Cutscenes where it's all just prerendered? Of course, that's not hard. But you won't enjoy this and then seamlessly transition into gameplay, I'm sorry to burst anyones bubble here. Not even top of the line PCs can do that as of yet. And if they can't, neither XSX nor PS5 will ever.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not talking about Series X version. Just Flight Simulator in general. Wich got tons of info and footage for a year already. And using some intresting tech with Bing maps, Azure etc. Just thought thats something right up DF their alley. I am just surprised they didnt cover it yet.
whoops, my mistake

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019

He ment there were still lots of quick cuts so you sill didn't really get a feel for how the game actually plays, not that it actually wasn't from gameplay. Like this trailer.
www.youtube.com

Bright Memory Infinite GDC2020 - GamePlay

Hello everyone! You can see the new combat system in the GamePlay,climbing was added to the level design,players need to use different skills to get over ob...

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
He ment there were still lots of quick cuts so you sill didn't really get a feel for how the game actually plays, not that it actually wasn't from gameplay. Like this trailer.
www.youtube.com

Bright Memory Infinite GDC2020 - GamePlay

Hello everyone! You can see the new combat system in the GamePlay,climbing was added to the level design,players need to use different skills to get over ob...
nope, I think their distrusting comments were aiming at the visual fidelity shown, not what you are saying here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went back and watched the Bright Memory segment. John and Alex are distrusting of the "4K/60fps/DXR" claims, which are compounded by the statement that's on every game. they're right to be distrusting of that. the game (or any of them) wasn't even confirmed to be running on actual hardware. and "4K" is dubious given how many games nowadays are just upscaled 4K images rather than native.

I don't see a problem here

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
nope, I think their distrusting comments were aiming at the visual fidelity shown, not what you are saying here.

They clearly state multiple times that bright memory was showing real gameplay, I can't find the quote you use there in the bright memory part of that video have you got a timestamp? and if you are talking about them questioning raytracing being 4k 60, yeh there's no reason to be questioning that at all.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
smart delivery is like the server sees you playing the game on the Series X so it downloads a patch/update/whatever to take advantage of the extra hardware. crossbuy is just giving you a separate binary for a different system. the difference is, if you take the binary from a smart delivery game and swapped it from an Xbox One to a Series X, it'll work, whereas it wouldn't with Cross Buy
What's the difference between Smart Delivery and a game patch then?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The problem for both MS and Sony is that the longer they wait on showing the actual next gen graphics - the higher the expectations are becoming. And they should've been really working towards the opposite wrt to buyers expectations with this upcoming generation.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
The problem for both MS and Sony is that the longer they wait on showing the actual next gen graphics - the higher the expectations are becoming. And they should've been really working towards the opposite wrt to buyers expectations with this upcoming generation.
Well, Sony is about to launch two games, where at least one of them will be pretty huge. So yeah, expectations for the next generations are through the roof. And Sony can do nothing to mitigate them.

Kholdy

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
This event was like getting invited to eat an otherworldly burger and when you get there, it's goddamn Burger King.

Criticism from DF was spot on, if this showcase didn't mention Series X at all, it wouldn't make a difference.

Nothing was shown running on the console, they showed none of the advantages next gen will have on current gen.

It was embarrassing and we can only hope that this criticism leads to better showcases in the future.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018

How DF has fallen.
Wait, I thought we were calling DF MS shills a few weeks back. Can't keep up anymore.

I hope the folks at DF don't take you clowns seriously.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The more I think about this, the more disappointed I am.

When the (arguably) biggest criticism of your product is the lack of compelling games, to have the debut of the Series X 'gameplay' show very very little gameplay, running on a machine that isn't the Series X, was daft.

I'm genuinely surprised nobody caught it considering how strong the messaging has been otherwise.