• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I think we need to just wait for First party. On both sides.

On hellblade 2 DF said that it was impossible this kind of rendering because it was too clean. Yesterday it was indie cross gen games.

We are just impatient to see the exclusives, of course we are going to take some slaps, but on the other hand the function of the SSD I do not think that on the big AAA they will make the difference on the level design, because the games will be more ambitious.

As the remedy dev says, since the games will get bigger, there may still be a lot of loading time for big next generation games.

I think it is more independent that they will use all their creativity on the SSD.

Zero chance any actual PS5 owner is a fan of this, lol.

Can you imagine 300 GB games that take up a third of the sSD?

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Wait are people saying they can't see any difference in those games compared to this gen games? The lighting and detail in both dirt and AC are pretty stand out from what we have today.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Yes and I expect that in their June event which is likely to focus on the hardware, OS features etc given July is all about first party.

I think it's been heavily suggested that July events, while first party heavy, is not exclusively first party. It'll likely be their e3 press conference, minus the hardware focus and some of the AA titles, so first party developed, 3rd party developed / microsoft published, and AAA / indie 3rd party titles.

Nov 20, 2019
Dark1x Medium uses the "power of the SSD" to switch instant between worlds. Should have showed that offcourse. But that feels something next gen.
I agree.
To be honest, if it was real gameplay, it wtould basically be the same as games running on a PC with ryzen 3700, rtx2080. While it would be better, its not that much better, current gen games running on high end PC are not next gen and we all know what they look like.

This event was always going to be about 3rd party cross gen games which is never that impressive, regardless if its gameplay or not.

We were never going to get the next gen equivalents of these:

Because it was a 3rd party show and 3rd parties are about crossgen, initially.

yup.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a completely baseless claim. Sony has a much stronger baseline to begin with, whilst Xbox will likely take a little longer to decouple their development and game design from almost decade old hardware that uses a spinning drive. This has been speculated for a while now, it's not really an unreasonable view.

Don't think you have any insight with their pipeline and expertise to make such a claim. Decouple from spinning drive? You being serious?

It's not about 1P or 3P games.
It's about true next gen games and cross gen games.
If they have next gen games to show they are good, if they only have cross gen only the critiscism will be the same.

We know game launching late 22 will be exclusive, and MS have games projected to release then, so we need to wait until July.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Good, Let it be a lesson to MS.
Thats not how you reveal games for the first time on your newly announced next gen *most powerful* console.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
To be honest, if it was real gameplay, it wtould basically be the same as games running on a PC with ryzen 3700, rtx2080. While it would be better, its not that much better, current gen games running on high end PC are not next gen and we all know what they look like.

This event was always going to be about 3rd party cross gen games which is never that impressive, regardless if its gameplay or not.

Because it was a 3rd party show and 3rd parties are about crossgen, initially.

You know that the game you posted above is a 3P game right ?

Oct 28, 2017
Feels to me like Microsoft is playing it safe while trying to put out info. No big guns till Sony shows its big guns.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
That beginning was weird.

"The show was crap because nothing looked like next gen"

"So here we have this game that looks insane and the page says it's targeting 4k 60 fps and raytracing, is that even possible for a console to run this game like this given the pc requirements?"

That's not what they were saying. They were saying no, we don't think it is possible. They go on to talk about it again later in the video and basically say "yeah it probably technically has raytracing, but full raytracing or even major raytracing at 4K60, no we don't believe that will happen."

It isn't an amazed wow how can this be. It was more, we think this is not going to be actually as amazing as it would imply.

Because yeah, I really wouldn't advise expecting full raytraced reflections or that sort of thing at 4K60 fps on any kind of graphically intense game on these consoles.

EDIT: Also, 4K60 fps stuff with better detail than current gen but still pretty much current gen looking isn't exactly the most exciting. Yes maybe 4K120fps is really cool and good looking. But it's not exactly the most exciting thing when we're looking forward to some serious new stuff we didn't expect, if that makes sense.

It also seems like they are trying to find the positives here too. They repeatedly mention they're trying to avoid being super negative. Alex even kind of thanks John for saying the mean thing he didn't want to say at one point.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

As a cutscene, or very controlled gameplay, that is totally possible current gen. You have to tightly control what's happening so you can load in the alternate world into RAM, and then switch to it.

What will be impressive is switching between the two across the world and without clear times for this info to load into the RAM. This scene, as we see it, is possible in current gen. What I think we need is a gameplay demo showing it in action, more often and dynamic in a way that is not possible current gen.

That's the issue with these super short trailers with no real in depth look at the gameplay.

As DF mentioned though, the geometry on display was definitely really detailed though, so that was good to see. Although again this particular shot does not look like something you couldn't see in a cutscene on current gen and thus could similarly make it into a trailer.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Raytracing + 30 FPS will always be the better choice when put up against no raytracing and 60 FPS IMO. The simple reason being: Raytracing offers so much more world building, fidelity, and realism than 60 FPS - which makes games feel extremely unnatural at times (esp. games that don't benefit at all from it such as Assassin's Creed as it's more of a cinematic adventure). 60 FPS and higher should only be thing for sports games since these actually require such framerates. anything else plays and feels better in 30 FPS IMO. We're talking about cinematic experiences and those are usually done in 24 fps, mind you.

please be a joke, please be a joke

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought MS policy was to show games when they are close release.
Yup, but I think they may be relaxing that when showing off a new console. They want to show games that are in Dev as opposed to being just signed (Scalebound). Hellblade 2 for instance is unlikely to be a game released anytime soon, which they showed off.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Wait are people saying they can't see any difference in those games compared to this gen games? The lighting and detail in both dirt and AC are pretty stand out from what we have today.

The lighting in dirt isnt ray tracing so yeah the lighting in that game is as current gen as it could be.

Nov 20, 2019
Raytracing + 30 FPS will always be the better choice when put up against no raytracing and 60 FPS IMO. The simple reason being: Raytracing offers so much more world building, fidelity, and realism than 60 FPS - which makes games feel extremely unnatural at times (esp. games that don't benefit at all from it such as Assassin's Creed as it's more of a cinematic adventure). 60 FPS and higher should only be thing for sports games since these actually require such framerates. anything else plays and feels better in 30 FPS IMO. We're talking about cinematic experiences and those are usually done in 24 fps, mind you.
I agree. 60fps for Sports, First Person shooters, Racing games and let Devs choose. Also no one complained about DS and HZD with 30fps. Devs did good with FPS on consoles with most to me and I game at 144 hz on PC....

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
no-this-is-patrick-gif-3.gif
Underrated post

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh it was perfectly clear to us. It's the focus on short trailers that didn't work for me. It's an approach I never liked for these things.

The more I think about the Valhalla trailer, the crazier it is. It ads insult to injury by both being way too short, and using the most annoying editing trend of fading to black between every shot so you spend half the trailer looking at a blank screen in what was supposed to be a next-gen gameplay coming out party...

Because it was a 3rd party show and 3rd party multiplats are about crossgen, initially.

Then they shouldn't have made this their first show.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Yup, pretty much, of couse games will look awesome on xsx, but sony 1st party will make your jaw drop with their graphics output and cartridge like loadings (i hope).

1-2 seconds loadings if true are a game changer me.

I was playing days gone and thinking what if I didn't have to wait so long for it to load etc Imagine everything being so immediate. Sony will show off this aspect so people know it is the fastest console. Microsoft have the most powerful machine, but their lack of expertise, along with wanting to feed the xbox one x and series s will mean that they are never going to fully realise their consoles potential. I am sure the ps5 will produce better looking games because they have the developers, and Microsoft don't. I know that some multiplatform titles will look better on series x like cyberpunk 2077, but it will only be a handful of publishers they have special deals with.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
The motion blur on AC trailer was interesting. The whole thing was a bullshot and Ubisoft didn't intend showing anything in-game, just in-engine and they knew this beforehand. And Microsoft were happy to lie and sell the show based on gameplay.

Exactly. They should never have hyped it so much. Now casuals will think the series x is as powerful as the one x.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I was watching ray tracing in action, really nice floors, but all I could see was the the exact same games. In that regard this trailer was terrible.

Feb 10, 2018
The more I think about the Valhalla trailer, the crazier it is. It ads insult to injury by both being way too short, and using the most annoying editing trend of fading to black between every shot so you spend half the trailer looking at a blank screen in what was supposed to be a next-gen gameplay coming out party...

Then they shouldn't have made this their first show.

Well they didnt, the first "next gen" showing was at the game awards then they let digital foundry and austin evans do hardware teardowns, spec breakdowns and feature demonstrations.

What the issue was here is ms setting false expectations.
But its a small bump in a very good road.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Yup, but I think they may be relaxing that when showing off a new console. They want to show games that are in Dev as opposed to being just signed (Scalebound). Hellblade 2 for instance is unlikely to be a game released anytime soon, which they showed off.

I would just invite you to consider this: Either Microsoft will primarily focus on cross generational games for a couple years, or they have games exclusively made for XSX that are ready to be shown off even if they aren't launching with the console. If they don't have the games ready, even if they are coming in 2022 Microsoft will have to deal with Sony launching with PS5 first party exclusives and how that makes their console appear to be the most capable console. Or, Microsoft has their first reveal for XSX be mostly games that are underwhelming visually for next generation (note I personally think some were interesting), while at some point they will show a few AAA games that are XSX exclusive in a couple years presumably will release - and this is while Sony is showcasing PS5 exclusive launch games.

That's what's off with your calculus. Microsoft has decided that instead of the normal generational transition they want to introduce their next gen console and gradually move towards it. Now, I'm not going to try to predict how successful the console will be or what their timeline is; however, it should be noted that unless Microsoft has been lying about having AAA exclusive games made exclusively for the XSX launch they will have to contend with Sony having the most "next gen" launch games due to their decision to immediately shift to the PS5.

Or to put it simply: Microsoft may be willing to show a few of their AAA projects scheduled for 2022 but how will that play against Sony showing games for 2020 and 2021? Especially when it's fair to say Sony has the pedigree for impressive visuals as well as critical acclaim? It seems a bit...optimistic...don't you think?

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure what you all are expecting from next gen exactly. I have been behind the times for a little while now, but I fired up gears 5 for PC at 4K ultra settings on my new 4K TV and I'm just absolutely stunned at how beautiful this game is. Now the series x can produce just as well, if not better than a gaming pc so it's relevant. But again, what are we looking for? It will be awhile before the software catches up with the tech at this point I'd think.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I would just invite you to consider this: Either Microsoft will primarily focus on cross generational games for a couple years, or they have games exclusively made for XSX that are ready to be shown off even if they aren't launching with the console. If they don't have the games ready, even if they are coming in 2022 Microsoft will have to deal with Sony launching with PS5 first party exclusives and how that makes their console appear to be the most capable console. Or, Microsoft has their first reveal for XSX be mostly games that are underwhelming visually for next generation (note I personally think some were interesting), while at some point they will show a few AAA games that are XSX exclusive in a couple years presumably will release - and this is while Sony is showcasing PS5 exclusive launch games.

That's what's off with your calculus. Microsoft has decided that instead of the normal generational transition they want to introduce their next gen console and gradually move towards it. Now, I'm not going to try to predict how successful the console will be or what their timeline is; however, it should be noted that unless Microsoft has been lying about having AAA exclusive games made exclusively for the XSX launch they will have to contend with Sony having the most "next gen" launch games due to their decision to immediately shift to the PS5.

Or to put it simply: Microsoft may be willing to show a few of their AAA projects scheduled for 2022 but how will that play against Sony showing games for 2020 and 2021? Especially when it's fair to say Sony has the pedigree for impressive visuals as well as critical acclaim? It seems a bit...optimistic...don't you think?

Man and I saw this coming miles away too. I really really feel that not having a single XSX only game was really dumb. Sure make Halo accessible everywhere, but you've gotta make a better argument for your console than merely "games play nicer here."

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would it? Resolution is just extra pixels. If every new generation, all that we ever got was better image quality, I'd never be getting hyped about new consoles. I think the SSD stuff is going to be the real game-changer next generation.
Then why does Sony go to such high clocks with the GPU? They could live with 9.2 TF easily if it's only up to the SSD. They will just have a lower resolution in the end.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Then why does Sony go to such high clocks with the GPU? They could live with 9.2 TF easily if it's only up to the SSD. They will just have a lower resolution in the end.
Sony is creating a strong baseline. The GPU will likely be a very great jump, but the SSD and IO will unlock some really cool new experiences.

Feb 10, 2018
I'm not sure what you people are expecting from next gen exactly. I have been behind the times for a little while now, but I fired up gears 5 for PC at 4K ultra settings on my new 4K TV and I'm just absolutely stunned at how beautiful this game is. Now the series x can produce just as well, if not better than a gaming pc so it's relevant. But again, what are we looking for? It will be awhile before the software catches up with the tech at this point I'd think.

if you think methodically at what the individual improved hardware parts will I cant see a substantial jump is not possible, the 5x improved CPU is going to enable more drawcalls, physics simulations and better Ai. The GPU will enable better and more effects, better textures, more polygons. The ssd will be an extension of the ram which can be used for low bandwidth tasks.
The cross gen period is just that, "cross-gen" its not a tease of what to expect.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
4K and 60fps aren't next gen to me. RT, the benefits of the SSDs and changes in game or level design as a result are what matter to me.
With that in mind, only next gen exclusive games will do this. Microsoft's first party line up will look great I'm sure, but I don't think they'll be 'next gen' until they drop the Xbox One

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Man and I saw this coming miles away too. I really really feel that not having a single XSX only game was really dumb. Sure make Halo accessible everywhere, but you've gotta make a better argument for your console than merely "games play nicer here."

And It's only being compounded by the Inside Xbox which claimed to show gameplay for XSX and what we got were AA cross generation games, mostly, and nothing that was impressive in a way that shows off the capabilities of the system.

As an outsider it's quite an interesting situation. Microsoft has largely done a really good job with marketing the last couple of years, yet the single most important thing they could do - have games that truly show off the console that claim to be the most powerful - they have kneecapped themselves by not moving on to the next generation. Meanwhile Sony has struggled at times with their marketing yet despite having a slightly weaker console, at least by the raw TF numbers, it's pretty easy to see a situation where not only do they have the most exciting exclusive games that show off next gen capabilities, but it wouldn't surprise me if the narrative is the PS5 has the best looming and most impressive games (which could and may well translate into many gamers equating that to the most powerful).

I must say if Sony is playing poker and this is how that read the cards I'm impressed lol

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Because it was a 3rd party show and 3rd party multiplats are about crossgen, initially.

Something like this would have been perfect after the story trailer.

youtu.be

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - Next Gen Trailer - Eurogamer

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - Next Gen Trailer - EurogamerSee what it looks like to be inside a next gen bush!Subscribe to Eurogamer - http://www.youtube....

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
I think part of it is that what we really need are boring demos like the ones Xbox showed on YouTube. How long does it take to load. How many games can I run simultaneously

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
and nothing that was impressive in a way that shows off the capabilities of the system.

Everything we've seen about The Medium seems like it COULD be that, and maybe even scorn too, but they showed off absolutely nothing. I think in the video in the OP John even mentions the Scorn dev wanted to show off gameplay, but were only given 2 minutes.

It's baffling. Because honestly that level of detail, if present in gameplay, is genuinely better looking that most things this gen. And The Medium's switching concept could be a great way to show off the SSD.

Like I still maintain starting off with 3rd party AA and a couple AAA games was rather foolish, but they could at least have taken what they had and really used them to illustrate the power of their system and what made it unique...and they just didn't. As John repeatedly said it's bizarre.

They even teased this event as "under an hour." I did not expect that to mean "under HALF an hour."

As an outsider it's quite an interesting situation. Microsoft has largely done a really good job with marketing the last couple of years, yet the single most important thing they could do - have games that truly show off the console that claim to be the most powerful - they have kneecapped themselves by not moving on to the next generation. Meanwhile Sony has struggled at times with their marketing yet despite having a slightly weaker console, at least by the raw TF numbers, it's pretty easy to see a situation where not only do they have the most exciting exclusive games that show off next gen capabilities, but it wouldn't surprise me if the narrative is the PS5 has the best looming and most impressive games (which could and may well translate into many gamers equating that to the most powerful).

I must say if Sony is playing poker and this is how that read the cards I'm impressed lol

Dude yes exactly.

That's what is even worse here. Microsoft has dominated the conversation with the teraflops number. But instead of leading the charge with showing some games to justify that number, they show tiny snippets and vague trailers that don't get into really justifying that power being put to use, even though they seem to clearly have the better console!

Meanwhile, Sony, not being tethered to last generation, is going to be able to do things like, really go in and show off their SSD tech for example, and do their pretty games like they always do. And honestly just cripple the entire narrative that Microsoft's teraflops even matter.

I mean teraflops are a bad metric anyway, but still with in general the XSX being the better console, we SHOULD see Microsoft taking that to its limit and showing it off. But the seeds of "teraflops don't matter" have already been planted, and if what we see in June shows Sony with some mind blowing games, that will then become the dominate narrative.

And this is made even worse! Because Microsoft is giving Sony a MONTH of that.

What is the point of saying ha we have 2 more teraflops if most of what you show is clearly cross gen games maybe running at double framerate or something, which yes 120 fps is fucking awesome, but is a number going to impress people? Let's be honest. No. People want to hear 60 fps and that's it. We still have people doggedly almost preferring 30 fps. And overwhelmingly your average gamer doesn't even have a 4K TV to care about 4K. If your whole selling point is, hey we have games that look like last gen, but with raytracing a little bit, and at 4K60 or 4K120, your average gamer does not care. What they care about is graphics that blow their heads off.

But Microsoft decides, like last generation, to lead off with a first impression all about the boring. I don't understand how they haven't learned this doesn't work. Last generation they started with the boring details of their box, promising no no guys the good stuff is later at E3. And it was! Go back and watch Microsoft E3 2013. Everyone says Sony won, and sure in context I guess? But I genuinely think Microsoft had the better show. It was great. But it was marred by that shitty first impression.

People making boneheaded decisions, no matter what it's about, just gets my goat man. I understand with COVID-19 things are complicated, but even with what they HAD they could have made it so much more interesting.

That said I mean, I really don't think Sony have done a great job either. So maybe they will utterly squander their June event with an awkward, boring event that somehow makes everything lame. I would not put it past them. This is in some ways a new team at Sony. I totally loved loved loved the Sony talk. I could listen to Cerny talk all day. It was the perfect birthday present lol. But no one else thought so, and I do understand that. It's entirely possible we get something more interesting, but still falls flat.

It's too early to tell but man these companies have the material to make some hype events, and Microsoft had been doing so good. They blew everyone's minds with hellblade's trailer. Everyone was expecting a comprehensive gameplay trailer of something of that caliber and we got....not that.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
But would you gift that to Xbox or save it for your own presentation of the game?

Well it seemed like that was the entire point. Everyone tuning into Xbox, even people who wouldn't tune into a Ubisoft conference. The whole world was looking at it, or that's the idea. I mean the first next gen gameplay? Who doesn't want to see that? So from Ubisoft's pov, who cares if it's at your event? You want everyone to see the next AAAA game coming from your company. There's a reason companies agree to lengthy demos at Microsoft, Sony, and sometimes Nintendo conferences, even when they have their own. Ubisoft themselves are no stranger to this themselves.

Fuck it some companies literally just duplicate stuff lol. It's not unheard of.

And it's not like they could have gone into some decent length just showing a cinematic well constructed gameplay sequence, and then done a more playalong explanation type thing at their own conference.

There are many ways they could have done this besides constantly cutting to black and showing a few different parts of the game...even though we already kinda got the look of the game from screenshots.

Feb 10, 2018
And It's only being compounded by the Inside Xbox which claimed to show gameplay for XSX and what we got were AA cross generation games, mostly, and nothing that was impressive in a way that shows off the capabilities of the system.

True, but at then end of the day its the quality of the games that really matter.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I mean, being part of a console reveal is a huge deal and you're going to have tons of eyes on your product.
But what if you could still have those eyes yet turn them to your very own conference wanting to see more? You could probably even use that promise to show off a few other products you're offering before hand.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
But what if you could still have those eyes yet turn them to your very own conference wanting to see more? You could probably even use that promise to show off a few other products you're offering before hand.

You don't understand the point of "next generation gameplay reveal"...?

You want to synonymyze yourself with next gen. You want to pull in eyes that don't care about Ubisoft yea or nay.

Xbox always, always, ALWAYS gets more views on their conferences than Ubisoft conferences. This is about creating this image that you are The Next Generation Game to Have.

You do that by aligning yourself with a next generation console. You give your first impressions within that context. You are building subconscious associations and feelings. This is literally what marketing is based on, and it works.

The point of this is bringing people to you. Ubisoft's conference does not pull people to Ubisoft's conference. It just shows off to people who they've already sold to, Ubisoft fans, and curious enthusiasts. That is too small a net for what Ubisoft wants to catch. A platform showcase will always be bigger than a publisher showcase.

There's a reason companies like Activision literally don't do a conference at all, even though there's been years they absolutely could have, because it is more valuable to them to show off their games at Microsoft or Sony's E3 conferences. There's a reason they do that.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
How are we in 2020 and companies still don't realise that CGI trailers impress nobody?
We want to see gameplay, if you have no gameplay to show, then wait till you do!