• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Not everything show yesterday blew my mind, but after the event I rewatched the trailers on YT on my 4K TV, and the quality was much improved over what was seen in the stream. I thought there was some of the games looked very technically impressive.

Same. While none of it screamed "TRULY THE NEXT GENERATION HAS ARRIVED!", there were several shots of gameplay that absolutely didn't look like they would be possible on current-gen hardware at that visual fidelity.

I'm kinda fascinated how they have better cameras than people at Microsoft xD.

It's obviously not a big deal, but it is kind-of weird that Microsoft have been doing the work from home thing for like two months now, and some of their "on camera" people appear to be using 10 year old webcams. Don't Microsoft even make their own webcams? lol

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Alex is right in terms of raw power on PC trying to pull 4k/60, but shouldn't we consider that console games are usually far better optimized? Developers are going to find a graphics/performance balance, and it will better than compatible hardware on PC because of that optimization.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
I mean MS should have seen this coming. They aren't stupid. Then again if these are 3rd party games in development it's either release something the devs will want to release, i.e. showy cinematics, or show nothing at all if they aren't ready to show gameplay. I'm fine with what they did in the end though because I know we will see gameplay and they need to start the hype train at some point. I just don't like the backtracking they did afterwards like "oh wow guess we should have been more transparent with our message". I mean well yeah duh.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They probably don't work from home that often or do any streaming etc. I do agree, I kinda expected better cam stuff but then people would complain that they spent too much time looking at people instead of games lol.

LoL, maybe.

Streaming vs Offline rendering.

Good point! But why didn't they just prerecord this?

It's obviously not a big deal, but it is kind-of weird that Microsoft have been doing the work from home thing for like two months now, and some of their "on camera" people appear to be using 10 year old webcams. Don't Microsoft even make their own webcams? lol

Haha, nah, it's totally fine, it's just, as you said, that you could notice some of them were using like really old cams.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Dark1x Medium uses the "power of the SSD" to switch instant between worlds. Should have showed that offcourse. But that feels something next gen.

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bit of a weird show and then Greenberg basically apologising for it straight after just makes it seem even more strange. My conclusion is that they felt they had to show something before Sony does but the MS first party stuff is coming in hot.

Also I'm pretty sure the reason they chose to feature The Medium and emphasised the involvement of Yamaoka is because Sony is expected to have a Silent Hill reboot.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I've been hearing about Xbox Series X for months now, and I thought it was just the Xbox One X.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alex is right in terms of raw power on PC trying to pull 4k/60, but shouldn't we consider that console games are usually far better optimized? Developers are going to find a graphics/performance balance, and it will better than compatible hardware on PC because of that optimization.
That argument isn't really true anymore because PCs were moving to low level APIs. And with DX12 Ultimate, you only have to program for Turing and RDNA2 GPUs, so even closer to the metal. Sure you can program a bit closer into the console hardware but you should not expect huge performance gains out of it.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bit of a weird show and then Greenberg basically apologising for it straight after just makes it seem even more strange. My conclusion is that they felt they had to show something before Sony does but the MS first party stuff is coming in hot.

Also I'm pretty sure the reason they chose to feature The Medium and emphasised the involvement of Yamaoka is because Sony is expected to have a Silent Hill reboot.
You're pretty sure based on nothing. LOL As if announcing a major contributor to a legendary franchise contributing to your game of the same genre that's highly influenced by that legendary franchise is so odd that there must be console warz REASONS one has to invent for why it happened. It's one thing to think it as a possibility but acknowledging it as a reach, it's another to be pretty sure about it based on nothing.

Last edited:

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Just finished watching it - thanks for posting I love DF :)
Well, they are right. There was some good stuff shown here and there but overall it was a disappointment for me. I think I actually said "is this next gen" when watching it yesterday lol.
I have a feeling MS will make sure the July presentation is basically all gameplay and hopefully have learned that they need to show people what next gen will actually look like. I'm over "in engine demos" and CGI trailers. Show me your game running on the Series X while you play it with a controller. Otherwise, anything shown is just a pipe dream and a possibility, not reality!

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
HOLY SHIT! That "Dinosaur" game we've been making fun of in the paleontology circles is a "Next Gen" title!? Hahaha!

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
MS left the door wide open for Sony to come in and really show something amazing and make a huge splash. Not sure if Sony will take it, but the next gen buzz is there's to take.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Re-watching the demos again through this video and it's just as disappointing as yesterday. If they can get The Ascent to run at 60fps then it would look Great visually but it wasn't running on XsX hardware (like practically all the demos here, more had the disclaimer than I remembered) and it dipped really hard into twenties in several scenes. They really should have made a separate Game Pass show not highlighting that this was the XsX debut in any way. Microsofts first big blunder in the build up to next-gen.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS left the door wide open for Sony to come in and really show something amazing and make a huge splash. Not sure if Sony will take it, but the next gen buzz is there's to take.
There will be back on forth between Sony and MS leading up to the release of their next gen consoles. Nobody's putting their eggs in one basket of a presentation.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
My take was they were disappointed with the lack of real gameplay, but the targets on display look impressive from a technical standpoint.
This is basically how I feel.

And I'm actually excited to play some of those games.

Not everything shown yesterday blew my mind, but after the event I rewatched the trailers on YT on my 4K TV, and the quality was much improved over what was seen in the stream. I thought there was some of the games looked very technically impressive.

Bright Memory Infinite, Scorn, Chorus, and The Medium I thought were the standouts. To me they looked like 60 FPS and a very high resolution, if not native 4K, along with super high res textures, level of detail, etc.

In fact, it seemed like most, if not all the games shown yesterday, had 60 fps targets, which I'm super excited for. If the 13 games show represent a broad baseline for what to expect from early next gen games, then I'm excited, cause it's already very good, and will only improve.

These games are the ones I'm excited about. Maybe that vampire game too.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People (including me) want to see things that you can instantly tell would not be possible on current gen hardware, like KZSF last time around. You knew right away that could never be on PS3. Cross-gen games at 4K just doesn't do that.

Sony will want to blow us away with the first PS5 games they show I'm sure, and while MS still has time to do that as well it's weird that they would choose to do the first large presentation of next gen games like this, after all the power talk they've been doing. Show people that power.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Exactly. They should have shown this.
I personally think they should have dropped Dirt, Madden and AC and focus on the other titles shown but in a little more depth. I am sure that stuff is coming in the next few weeks etc but it would have been nice to see more of the genuinely interesting titles.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Wow the Scorn dev wanted to show gameplay but wasn't given a big enough time slot SMH that's crazy

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Nailed it. These quit cut trailers set to EDM remixes drive me nuts. Everything blurs together.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Dark1x Medium uses the "power of the SSD" to switch instant between worlds. Should have showed that offcourse. But that feels something next gen.
I was about to say I remember someone bringing this up in the thread yesterday.

And I agree.

Look, my expectations aren't are high as some ppl's are. I was probably on the verge of getting a warning for spamming how excited I was to see suspend/resume for multiple games.

That's all I basically wanna see from Sony.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
I think we all need to adjust our expectations. While it's disappointing that what was shown so far didn't really look next-gen we need to remember these new consoles aren't a 10x improvement over previous generations like in the past. Most of these games were probably switched over to PS5/XSX mid development. Until we see some exclusives we really won't know what to expect from next gen IMO...

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
I don't think it was a smart move. Maybe MS should have waited.

The only thing that was on my mind after the presentation was: if this is nextgen, current gen will do just fine for me, thank you.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People (including me) want to see things that you can instantly tell would not be possible on current gen hardware, like KZSF last time around. You knew right away that could never be on PS3. Cross-gen games at 4K just doesn't do that.

Sony will want to blow us away with the first PS5 games they show I'm sure, and while MS still has time to do that as well it's weird that they would choose to do the first large presentation of next gen games like this, after all the power talk they've been doing. Show people that power.
It's actually a good thing MS received negative reaction in what was comparatively a small presentation in the grand scheme of things in early May and can learn a valuable lesson and apply it for the rest of their presentations for the rest of the year. This will be forgotten pretty quickly once the rest of the other presentations start happening.

Konosuke

Oct 29, 2017
I miss tech demos.
The Unreal 4 demo on ps4 reveal carried my hype for so many days.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
MS also has an event in June. IDK what they are planning to show though. But could be also next gen stuff.

Sounds like the June thing isn't an "event", so much as it'll be some sort of other info dump. My guess is Lockhart reveal, along with perhaps some coordinated media of certain outlets reporting on it (like they did with Series X).

July is their E3 replacement event, that will have all of their first party, along with apparently some more third-party.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Exactly. They should have shown this.
They kind of did:
c0dCeMi.gif

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Nice to see some excitement for Yakuza as a franchise.
I also thought performance improvements in line with how PC is handling Dragon Engine makes sense. I hadn't considered that normally at a console launch you don't typical get these really well crafted established RPGs

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
The quick summary is basically DF wanted a 1st Party, all singing and dancing showcase and they did not get it. I think I blame it on MS for saying it was the first look at Series X and then not showing 1st party. Thats on the PR side for wording it as something it was not.

If we take out that mistake, what was show was a great selection of 3rd party games in development that was not just the same things over and over. A good mix was shown and a good mix of quality as well.

Leading your next gen showcase with a bunch of AA/Indie games is not how to do it. The one AAA game they had didn't even show proper gameplay.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am currently playing AC odyssey on my X for the first time . It's an absolutely gorgeous game , I don't expect Valhalla is going to look that much better on series X. It's 60 FPS what's gonna make the real difference for me.

I've just started on the Pro and it's a beautiful game indeed with just insane scale.

Don't know if it's similar on X but from clicking the game icon on a fresh boot of the console to controlling your save game it's around 3 mins of loading. That can be massively improved on with next gen and SSD's. Native 4k/60fps with improved visual settings too on Series X. That's what cross gen games should be.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ms intentionaly wont seperate gens. You buy an "xbox" and get "xbox games" for it.

We will see if its the correct strategy.

I think this is smart. MS is trying to sell you games and the Game Pass service. Personally, I'll play all their output on PC and skip their console entirely, so there are risks from a hardware standpoint. But as a consumer I love the option.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That beginning was weird.

"The show was crap because nothing looked like next gen"

"So here we have this game that looks insane and the page says it's targeting 4k 60 fps and raytracing, is that even possible for a console to run this game like this given the pc requirements?"

Because impressive graphics can be more than certain spec sheet points. I think they wanted to see more pushed in terms of rendering, not necessarily just resolution or frame rate.

4K/60fps/RT is very expensive computationally, and the implication is that it's perhaps not always the most sensible or achievable target, hence resources could instead be put to better graphics in other ways (using variable or reconstructive resolutions etc instead).

In that regard, Hellblade 2 even at 1080p looks more impressive (imo) than any of the games shown in 4K.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Jesus its a slow news week isn't it, I've never seen people get so wound up over a 30 minute showcase of some games before. Its not like the console comes out next week and this is all we've got, they will do a normal E3 style showcase with AAA titles in a months time and nobody will care about this.
Is there anything happening in June? People keep saying there is but idk. Nobody has explicitly said Xbox has something in June

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
If MS really chose to limit developers to an arbitrary time constraint instead of showing more gameplay.... Shame on them. The whole "lets tease a little next gen before the real deal" strategy was a big failure in my opinion. When you see next gen you want the goods. The reason the Xbox Series X reveal was a success is that it was unexpected and Hellblade 2 looked amazing. The Inside Xbox thing was overhyped and somewhat lackluster. They tried the reign in the hype but the floodgates were opened. Sony is going to look real nice in June if they do a blowout and show the goods.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much mirrors my take. Some interesting games were shown, but the type of showing to lead your first gameplay showcase. Particularly because very little actual gameplay was shown, or at least that wasn't heavily edited. Not a good look, but still interested to see what they have to show in July.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The irony is what did Xbox in last gen was the focus on television, sports and being a water cooler with less focus on games.

This time around they show nothing but games and everyone is still let down.

Microsoft just can't figure this thing out. It's starting to feel like a Zune or Surface type product now. Immensely capable but completely unappealing. When in comes to power and ergonomics they can't be beat but damn, try to make it exciting.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
MS had enough time to show Microsoft Teams backgrounds for goodness sake but limited gameplay time supposedly.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
The irony is what did Xbox in last gen was the focus on television, sports and being a water cooler with less focus on games.

This time around they show nothing but games and everyone is still let down.

Microsoft just can't figure this thing out. It's starting to feel like a Zune or Surface type product now. Immensely capable but completely unappealing. When in comes to power and ergonomics they can't be beat but damn, try to make it exciting.
I disagree with this statement for Zune, Surface and Xbox.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because impressive graphics can be more than certain spec sheet points. I think they wanted to see more pushed in terms of rendering, not necessarily just resolution or frame rate.

4K/60fps/RT is very expensive computationally, and the implication is that it's perhaps not always the most sensible or achievable target, hence resources could instead be put to better graphics in other ways (using variable or reconstructive resolutions etc instead).

In that regard, Hellblade 2 even at 1080p looks more impressive (imo) than any of the games shown in 4K.

Ofcourse gfx isnt just resolution, geometry effects etc play a big role. Rendering a ps1 game in 4k isnt next gen