• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're being nice about it but yeah "people want to see what makes next gen, next gen" is what the general mood was going into it.

Also right with Killzone Shadowfall being a great way to showcase that next gen upgrade back in the day, and we're still waiting that moment for next gen now.

Kuma

alt account
Banned
Apr 15, 2020
i just don't understand how they let these reveals flop every generation. They need new people handling the brand. So disappointed at a 12TFlop console delivering games not on par with even games from this generation. I'm sure Hellblade will be a looker though too bad they didn't show that.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
That beginning was weird.

"The show was crap because nothing looked like next gen"

"So here we have this game that looks insane and the page says it's targeting 4k 60 fps and raytracing, is that even possible for a console to run this game like this given the pc requirements?"

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
i just don't understand how they let these reveals flop every generation. They need new people handling the brand. So disappointed at a 12TFlop console delivering games not on par with even games from this generation. I'm sure Hellblade will be a looker though too bad they didn't show that.
I'm confused at why they chose to lead with these games, as opposed to waiting until their own first-party showcase was ready.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
They already showed Hellblade 2 though

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
All they had to do was bill that episode of Inside Xbox as a "preview of cross gen games with some of our independent partners as well as a few from these publishers" and they would've been fine.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

"So here we have this game that looks insane and the page says it's targeting 4k 60 fps and raytracing, is that even possible for a console to run this game like this given the pc requirements?"

Does 4K equal next gen though? I guess resolution increase is not the only thing I expect when a new gen starts. But I get where everyone is coming from rendering current gen games at 4K 60FPS is not something that means next gen to me.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I am currently playing AC odyssey on my X for the first time . It's an absolutely gorgeous game , I don't expect Valhalla is going to look that much better on series X. It's 60 FPS what's gonna make the real difference for me.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe things will turn around in July when they show off first-party games but we'll still be dealing with cross-gen. You're not going to get any clear image of what next-gen games are going to look like when the lowest common denominator is still an Xbox One.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The stuff looked really nice but if you don't show something like Hellblade 2 in game play form or mainline AAAA IP people won't take to it after the build up which they did kinda mess up, course correct, too late but overall, I think they showed some good looking interesting stuff here and there. Some games got limelight when they would be left in the dust usually.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

lol. To be fair to them ..John actually says towards the end of the video that this event and the reactions online are all short term. The games featured in the July event will show off the capabilities of the console. Dictator actually loved the variety of games shown.

Kuma

alt account
Banned
Apr 15, 2020
I'm confused at why they chose to lead with these games, as opposed to waiting until their own first-party showcase was ready.

Their console is in last place another generation in a row they benefit from releasing earlier than everyone and promoting first. It's better for them since they don't have the pull the others have.

They already showed Hellblade 2 though

Didn't know they showed more after that CG teaser reveal

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Their console is in last place another generation in a row they benefit from releasing earlier than everyone and promoting first. It's better for them since they don't have the pull the others have.

Didn't know they showed more after that CG teaser reveal
Wasn't CG.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Does 4K equal next gen though? I guess resolution increase is not the only thing I expect when a new gen starts. But I get where everyone is coming from rendering current gen games at 4K 60FPS is not something that means next gen to me.
I mean Bright memory infinite is really really pretty and not even a 2080ti can run it at 4k60 without dlss, so what makes it a bad showcase?

Sure, SX won't definitely run this game in native 4k either but the visual fidelity plus 60fps plus rt automatically makes it next gen because current consoles would melt trying to run it like that.

And not long ago even DF was speculating how RT being so heavy that we would see it in 30fps games only.

And then considering that it's just one person apparently doing all this, I think we should be looking at this with a different perspective. Like if at launch one single person is delivering this visual fidelity, with 60fps,raytracing and 4k (probably reconstructed) then this already tells me this gen is going to be amazing when the AAA devs started developing exclusively for it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The quick summary is basically DF wanted a 1st Party, all singing and dancing showcase and they did not get it. I think I blame it on MS for saying it was the first look at Series X and then not showing 1st party. Thats on the PR side for wording it as something it was not.

If we take out that mistake, what was show was a great selection of 3rd party games in development that was not just the same things over and over. A good mix was shown and a good mix of quality as well.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
I think microsoft want to be the most powerful, but won't have the best looking games - sony will. The biggest difference will be the ssd drive and sony will show the difference.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
Jesus its a slow news week isn't it, I've never seen people get so wound up over a 30 minute showcase of some games before. Its not like the console comes out next week and this is all we've got, they will do a normal E3 style showcase with AAA titles in a months time and nobody will care about this.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
The quick summary is basically DF wanted a 1st Party, all singing and dancing showcase and they did not get it. I think I blame it on MS for saying it was the first look at Series X and then not showing 1st party. Thats on the PR side for wording it as something it was not.

If we take out that mistake, what was show was a great selection of 3rd party games in development that was not just the same things over and over. A good mix was shown and a good mix of quality as well.

Except it was made perfectly clear that it was going to be 3rd party only.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017

It's an odd take because they were super clear it was third party only though?

Oct 28, 2017
They start the video saying it was disappointing, but as they go through each trailer they were seemingly positive about every game.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

they said this ix was 3rd party so if anyone went in expecting 1st party thats on them not ms

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else feel smug when one these presentions go wrong?

When I see them, I think people in very well paid jobs made those mistakes, and yet I, some shmuck on the internet could have told them beforehand about why it would not go over well.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus its a slow news week isn't it, I've never seen people get so wound up over a 30 minute showcase of some games before. Its not like the console comes out next week and this is all we've got, they will do a normal E3 style showcase with AAA titles in a months time and nobody will care about this.
People are starved. This is why they have to be extra careful going forward. At least they admitted their mistake hours after.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
All they had to do was bill that episode of Inside Xbox as a "preview of cross gen games with some of our independent partners as well as a few from these publishers" and they would've been fine.
No, it wouldn't have been. I keep seeing this, but people would have been disappointed (rightfully) even if the message was right.

The smart move is to show the top games that are going to shock people, and then have this show at a later date. People want to be wowed first, then you can show diversity afterwards. This was just a terrible idea from the MS marketing team, but they seem to be looking over their shoulder on what Sony's doing instead of focusing on themselves. Do you think Sony will have their first showing by focusing on indies on that shitty AC trailer to end it?

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Not everything shown yesterday blew my mind, but after the event I rewatched the trailers on YT on my 4K TV, and the quality was much improved over what was seen in the stream. I thought there was some of the games looked very technically impressive.

Bright Memory Infinite, Scorn, Chorus, and The Medium I thought were the standouts. To me they looked like 60 FPS and a very high resolution, if not native 4K, along with super high res textures, level of detail, etc.

In fact, it seemed like most, if not all the games shown yesterday, had 60 fps targets, which I'm super excited for. If the 13 games show represent a broad baseline for what to expect from early next gen games, then I'm excited, cause it's already very good, and will only improve.

Last edited:

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
It was basically an indie reveal with dirt and assassins creed which both looked great.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation teaches us computer engineering and Xbox shows us "gameplay".

Coronavirus has made everyone a fool except Nintendo.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Not everything show yesterday blew my mind, but after the event I rewatched the trailers on YT on my 4K TV, and the quality was much improved over what was seen in the stream. I thought there was some of the games looked very technically impressive.

Bright Memory Infinite, Scorn, Chorus, and The Medium I thought were the standouts. To me they looked like 60 FPS and a very high resolution, if not native 4K, along with super high res textures, level of detail, etc.

In fact, it seemed like most, if not all the games shown yesterday, had 60 fps targets, which I'm super excited for. If the 13 games show represent a broad baseline for what to expect from early next gen games, then I'm excited, cause it's already very good, and will only improve.

agree with this summary

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Except it was made perfectly clear that it was going to be 3rd party only.
Oh it was perfectly clear to us. It's the focus on short trailers that didn't work for me. It's an approach I never liked for these things.

Anyone else feel smug when one these presentions go wrong?

When I see them, I think people in very well paid jobs made those mistakes, and yet I, some shmuck on the internet could have told them beforehand about why it would not go over well.
Well...I think a lot of it also stems from short time tables, plans changing etc. It's tough getting together a lineup of third party games for something like this. All the negotiations behind the scenes then having those teams produce something etc. The mistake here is limiting games to ~2 minutes.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

But they made it clear 1st party wouldn't show up. Up to the point where they announced the July event alongside this inside. And also told us some of the big partners are running late from WFH thus hinting those would be smaller games only.

I agree that not leading with big games was a mistake but I think the only way around that would be to show big games first, and that was not possible given everything right now.

And I definitely prefer that to wait until July to hear something

Oct 28, 2017
none of those games looked above current gen. Ofcourse if you take into account 4k/60 it won't fly on today's consoles, but I'm 100% sure these game will look identical on xbox one X/pro/pc at reduced performance.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm kinda fascinated how they have better cameras than people at Microsoft xD.
They probably don't work from home that often or do any streaming etc. I do agree, I kinda expected better cam stuff but then people would complain that they spent too much time looking at people instead of games lol.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
No, it wouldn't have been. I keep seeing this, but people would have been disappointed (rightfully) even if the message was right.

The smart move is to show the top games that are going to shock people, and then have this show at a later date. People want to be wowed first, then you can show diversity afterwards. This was just a terrible idea from the MS marketing team, but they seem to be looking over their shoulder on what Sony's doing instead of focusing on themselves. Do you think Sony will have their first showing by focusing on indies on that shitty AC trailer to end it?

People would still be disappointed by the fact they weren't leading with their first party or big AAA games external publishers.

That was always going to be the case.

But if they managed expectations for the Inside Xbox episode in regards to what the contents would be, reasonable people wouldn't be disappointed with the episode itself if it did what it said on the tin: provide a look at some smaller, cross-gen indie games and a fewer offerings from publishers.

It's all about managing expectations, and Xbox clearly didn't do a good job of that.