• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
What's 100$ more? Got a car, Uber for a day or two and back to regular life. No car? Couple of odd jobs and you're set, just a quick look at kijiji in my area shows a guy willing to pay 25-30$ an hour under the table for some odd jobs (and he's probably not a serial killer). Teen? Babysitting or yard work.
I know some people can't work or already work multiple jobs, but this is the definition of a luxury good. By that I mean "a good for which demand increases more than proportionally as income rises".

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
If the console is fully retrocompatible, I could see people selling their PS4/PS4 pro for a PS5 and cut 100/200 bucks out of the price.
Xbox One X was 500 bucks too and people still bought it.
If the tech behind it is good and the launch games are too, this price won't be a problem.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
Unpopular opinion: make the hardware badass and I'll pay $799. I'm willing to save up for a better experience in the long run.

I've been a PC Gamer most of my life though, so maybe I have a skewed view.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
wish they would do a pro version that's above $500.
it will probably be weak sauce again at this price point.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
You can't compare the pricing model to a phone as games on the iPhone aren't £50 or more. The console has to be subsidised imo. I think ps5 will be £479.99 including 2 controllers and a first party game. Xbox series x will be £529.99, but more powerful than ps5 imo.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
All I know is Sony is NOT going to announce a price until MS does... I think that is a given.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pro versions will be again mid-gen refresh to get another 399 or 499 out of people.
that's fine but i want a "pro" version out of the gate and not something that needs to be compromised a ton to hit a mass market price. Microsoft will probably do it this way but i want a Sony device like that.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Out of curiosity, if you are against 499 release price how you feel about mid-gen refresh model that is now a thing?

Did you purchase e.g. PS4 Pro this gen?

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I reckon Sony will take a hit and release them at a loss. The main thing will be getting these things into peoples homes where they can buy their games and pay their subscriptions, the real money making side of things.

Bishop

Nov 1, 2017
XSX - $500
PS5 - $400

it seems reasonable to me if Xbox is releasing a lower price XBox Series S

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
So $399 over 10 years ago is ok but $499 today isn't? Sony still sold over 10 million PS3's for $599 and if the Xbox 360 wasn't $200 cheaper they would have likely sold a lot more PS3's. The price is always relative to the current market trend. The PS3 was an anomoly that was at the time underpowered (multiplat games) and more expensive. The same mistakes the Xbox One was faced with. The PS4 will do just fine at $499, especailly if the Series X is just as much or more.

I mean I agree that times have changed and $499 PS4 can sell decently (still secretly hoping they can miraculously launch it with $399 price tag as I don't think it will match early PS4 sales with $499 price tag) but it's blatantly untrue that PS3 did just fine with its initial $599 price tag. I was there back in 2007 following sales threads. During spring of 2007 it was selling sub 100k in US a month (lowest being 81k) battling with dying GBA for the last place. Europe was only place were it was selling somewhat decently but Japanese and US sales were atrocious before price drop.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, if you are against 499 release price how you feel about mid-gen refresh model that is now a thing?

Did you purchase e.g. PS4 Pro this gen?

they didn't get Pros. And that's why they're complaining. They want all of the bang of a new console without the rising costs associated.

All I can say I save money people. If $50 a month is a struggle to support your hobby (a hobby important enough for you to be on this site, gaming side), then maybe you just have to wait. $499 sounds like a dream. But I'm preparing for a higher cost.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
they didn't get Pros. And that's why they're complaining. They want all of the bang of a new console without the rising costs associated.

All I can say I save money people. If $50 a month is a struggle to support your hobby (a hobby important enough for you to be on this site, gaming side), then maybe you just have to wait. $499 sounds like a dream. But I'm preparing for a higher cost.
Don't be surprised if it's 399 or 449

they make a ton off of digital sales and they want to keep the customers they have now locked in.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
What's 100$ more? Got a car, Uber for a day or two and back to regular life. No car? Couple of odd jobs and you're set, just a quick look at kijiji in my area shows a guy willing to pay 25-30$ an hour under the table for some odd jobs (and he's probably not a serial killer). Teen? Babysitting or yard work.
I know some people can't work or already work multiple jobs, but this is the definition of a luxury good. By that I mean "a good for which demand increases more than proportionally as income rises".

Is this satire and you're channeling Ken Kutaragi or are you serious? "I will work more hours to buy one."

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I am prepared for $500. Surprised they don't offer subscription type of service. Pay $X amount for X months and get a console with XBL/PSN service with it similar to a phone service.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
That's rubbish. N64 was absolutely cutting edge at the time. PC hardware didn't surpass it until around 1.5 years after its launch (when the Voodoo 2 came out in early 1998).

Kind of late, but...

Just by comparing the ports of Duke Nukem 3D and Quake on N64 I can safely assume PC hardware was better than N64 even at release.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Yeah that's out of my range. I saw this coming and had hoped that streaming might mitigate this...thanks Google /s
It's an open market. There are Gamers who see a future without upgrading hardware and to continue to spend to upgrade that hardware. It might be small percentage right now, but who knows that the future will hold. I think Google and MS is on the right track with that. Sony has the games to make their console more relevant than either on the other hand. The perfect spot is somewhere in the middle. Whoever gets to the middle first is going to be in a great position.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Heh, seeing these $1000 phone posts, what kind of things are you guys buying? lol
My current phone (Sony xperia) was the equivalent of $350 new and it's lasted me for over two years now.

In any case, I'd prefer a $400 PS5 but I'll fork out the extra cash. Afterall I did buy a $500 PS4 (the 500m LE edition).

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Heh, seeing these $1000 phone posts, what kind of things are you guys buying? lol
My current phone (Sony xperia) was the equivalent of $350 new and it's lasted me for over two years now.

In any case, I'd prefer a $400 PS5 but I'll fork out the extra cash. Afterall I did buy a $500 PS4 (the 500m LE edition).

I've got the latest mode of iPhone 11 and those are like $1449

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did it strike a nerve? Not get enough likes on your latest social media post ?

It struck me as one of those old men sat behind their keyboard in their empty basement alone secretly wishing that they too could have companionship.

lighten up dude, the edgy hippy vibe does nothing for you.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I've said it before, I'll say it again. A conversion price of $649 CAD or above means these new consoles are DOA in Canada. I know it's a smaller market, but these gaming prices are getting absurd up here in the chilly north.
That's what i was thinking. There is no way i am paying that much money for a console however powerful it is.

Oct 27, 2017
All the $1000+ phone posts ignore that the majority of customers don't pay that. They trade in or lease phones. I've been on the iPHone forever plan wirh sprint since 2015, and I get the new iPhone every year for 5 years (well this year I'm not, trying to pay Xr off to make 12 cheaper) also I've paid $30 per month for the phone for like 5 years. Very few actually pay 1000+ for phones, and the success of $400-$700 iPhones should help prove this

Dec 13, 2018
My guess is these things will eventually be 24 month contracts for like $40 a month with some gamepass like subscription plan

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Just buy a 300$ phone and a 600$ console. Forget the 1000$s phone without next gen console

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
As an interested party here in Canada, I'm fully prepared to wait a few years for a decent price-point... just like I waited on PS4 and eventually purchased at $249 CDN.

If $500 USD is what we're looking at, after exchange, plus a couple of games, plus an accessory/controller or two, plus tax - we're getting close to $1000 CDN just to start.

Yeah, no thanks; I'll leave that launch tax to those hardcore early adopters.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If it's $500, I just won't buy one for a long time. I don't have a 4K TV so I really don't care at all about paying a price premium for hardware that won't actually improve my gaming experience all that much, especially if there aren't many games coming out for it that I care about.

And right now I don't see Sony having much to draw my interest moving forward unless they actually make some bloody RPGs for a change.

I'm done doing console manufacturers a favor by buying their consoles early at a price premium and having nothing to do on them for months/years at a time as thanks for my trouble.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Unless magically Nintendo makes a stronger 4k or close to equivalent switch revision, and overhauls their online, it's not going to happen. Switch will keep on selling in the markets it's strongest in, and release games like Pokemon, zelda, mario that will sell lots. But to say @499 PS5/XBOX will be niche is something that is reaching.

Xbox one x and PS4PRO at 399-499 showed people are willing to pay for power. I agree that adoption rate will be much slower probably. But to say they will become niche is being short sighted at best.

What?

You have no clue what your talking about period. Sony is trading at 75+ a share. They are fine, and could literally take a decent loss on PS5 as long as people buy a game or two with a PS+ SUB. And with how everything will work from PS4 that means anyone who doesn't buy all of Sony's first party or is a new customer will have a giant library of GOTY titles at their fingertips for cheap, on top of PS5 launch exclusives.

Imagine you waited to buy last of us 2, Final fantasy 7, cyberpunk, GOT. And you pick up a PS5 is comes with codes or a trial of PSNOW that has Spiderman, God of war, uncharted 4/lost legacy ready to go to download.

Value is through the roof. Even if lets say they don't use the trial, and just buy those games physical or digital. They are like 19.99.
lol at no point during the last 5 years was Sony above 75/share. has it improved overall? yes just like everything else the past 5 years. what you really should be asking yourself is how much of that turnaround is rooted in the PS4's sustained success and dominance on the market. but don't just take my word for it, you literally just have to google "PlayStation + Sony + profits" if you wanna read real financial analysis.

but please continue to tell me what I don't know