• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Aren't people gonna trade in their consoles if next-gen is truly backwards compatible anyway? That'll ease the price point for some.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The PSX cost 50% more than the N64 at launch? Whoa... I had no idea lol

PSX was cutting edge tech when it launched. Easily outperformed the Saturn/3D0/Jag/Cdi and not by a small margin.

The N64 on the other hand launched 2 years later and really wasnt. To put in perspective how dated the hardware was by 1996, consider that the Sega
Dreamcast was on shelves and available in Jp by 1998.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
I hope its no more then uk exchange rate + vat

Actually I hope its a bit lower current exchange rates + Vat comes to £460.54

I hope they sell them for £449

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I think what I'm really curious to see with this console transition and the possibility of a 500 dollar price point, is if consumers will be accepting of that price, and buy them, or if there will be backlash that ultimately results in a slower console transition than this gen.

I feel like console players are starting to get used to the idea of paying more for consoles and seem to be ok with the idea since higher price= more powerful console. I personally feel that 399 is the sweet spot, so if new consoles are 500 or more, I'll probably not be buying into either at launch.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
For those of you who think that Sony are going to be taking a big loss by selling this console for $400, are living in a dreamworld. LOL.

With all of the technology that's inside, including a SSD? That shit ain't cheap.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
This seems like such a non issue, it's not going to be over 499 and that's a reasonable price for a piece of hardware like this.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And it will struggle.
Again, unlikely. If there's industry consensus for this, from devs to manufacturers, and that results in games and features show off a meaningful upgrade, it'll manage huge numbers once again.

Xbox One in US sold extremely well at $500 initially, I imagine a Sony console would go further.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I've got my 500 bucks ready. Just hope there are no consoles shortages at launch. A powerful CPU and SSD for super fast loadings is more than worth it extra 100 bucks.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Again, unlikely. If there's industry consensus for this, from devs to manufacturers, and that results in games and features show off a meaningful upgrade, it'll manage huge numbers once again.

Xbox One in US sold extremely well at $500 initially, I imagine a Sony console would go further.

Also noteworthy is that Sony launched the ps3 at the equivalent of $750 and still sold over 80 million units of the thing during the biggest economic downturn since the great depression.

A $500 console in 2020 isn't going to raise any eyebrows.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
https://kotaku.com/36-years-of-console-prices-adjusted-for-inflation-1485353267
199q245cirikujpg.jpg

This list is meaningless because it doesnt take into account how much other necessities have risen in price.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought from the start $499 would be the best price you're going to get. You don't get best hardware in all 4 categories for nothing. It's possibly the most uncompromised next gen consoles ever and you won't get that for $399.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
I expect a $500 price for both.

MS I could see eating the cost to gain it's market share back though. It would still be $400 or $450

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Atleast in Finland you can pay current with monthly plan and most likely you can also pay next gen consoles too.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
$500 has been obvious for a while with SSD as standard, more tech in the controller, HW ray-tracing, bigger memory needs... and shortages of said components in the market (not to forget standard inflation on top).

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, $500 is about the limit for me, but if both the PS5 and XSX pretty much function as current consoles with more power, features, and BC, I'll definitely sell off my Pro and 1X to help make up the difference.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What did think the XBX would cost?
If the TF rumors is true it might be even more expensive.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not a big deal. People pay 1000+ for smartphones nowadays.

Not remotely comparable. Firstly, only a very small portion of mobile users actually owns a £1000+ phone, the vast majority sold are lower priced devices, further to that, a mobile is an all in one device for general living, be it communications, media, web browsing, social media, health, lifestyle, fashion, emails, work, business, photography, editing and so on. They're also a point of vanity, a status symbol of sorts, and many people spend more to appear fashionable or wealthy.

A console on the other hand is essentially only a luxury enthusiast gaming device (the media aspects these days most TV's do better built in for free, then there's cheap Chromecast, Firestick etc too), and a higher starting price makes widespread adoption far less likely. Especially as Christmas gifts for kids or children etc, and especially when they require paid subscriptions for online play etc on top of that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Too much speculation. I dont like this kind of content on DF.

To be fair, it's not like they are speculating based on an article saying the consoles will be $600 or something and just making stuff up to try and support that. I think most have come to terms with them being $500 and want to know why or how they will be $500 and this video gives some reasons why.

On topic, I fully expect $500 for both (No idea on Lockhart price though). I'm kind of glad too. Bring on the power/performance.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Also noteworthy is that Sony launched the ps3 at the equivalent of $750 and still sold over 80 million units of the thing during the biggest economic downturn since the great depression.

And it bombed during its first year mainly because of price which lead to panic price cut of $200 during fall of 2007 (from $599 to $399 in a year). I still remember memes of PS3 battling against GBA in early 2007 NPD sales threads.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Fine, I can pay that.
But will be hard to get a sustainable install base with that.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Great video! I sense that PS5 and Series X will be $499 and possibly a bit higher for series X.
It's a bummer, but I will pay whatever they both are as I'm very excited for next gen. The sheer scope of these machines with newer PC parts in them, well, it's not cheap and I understand that. I'd rather have them go all out and deliver something crazy power to me than to skimp on parts and launch the next 8 years with underpowered machines!

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
And it bombed during its fist year because of price which lead to panic price cut of $200 during fall of 2007 (from $599 to $399 in a year).

It did not "bomb during the first year." The WiiU was a bomb. The ps3 outsold the 360 worldwide every single year the two were on the market including launch.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I also read somewhere that Sony/MS want to push for really powerful hardware and get to the $500 on purpose without trying to get it to $400 at all since if they were to sell it at $400 the parts that would need to be included in the consoles would not appear to be a proper generational leap to the average consumer, especially with games like Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima coming this year. May make the diminishing returns concept of generation hardware as the years go on much too apparent to some people and turn them off from adopting early. I thought it was interesting.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
$500 launch edition with extra crap. Then $450, it will be supply constrained so there will be a cap on how much money they lose, eventually components will go down in price and they'll be making money on that.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

The issue is you have absolutely no idea of the cost to Sony to sell that many hardware units.
The reality of it is they would have for sure sold significantly more had been lower in price, especially when it was up against the 360 which was already having price cuts, due to having been out for over a year by the time the PS3 had hit all markets.

Of course, it's a different scenario if both machines launch at a similar time and are of a similar price, but they are still going to be fighting for consumers mindshare with the early day console squabbles and fighting over the fickle , price sensitive markets such as the UK.

Oct 27, 2017
But by that logic, shouldn't the Series X also be hit by similar price increases for the same reasons?

I would assume yes but they have more reason to eat costs to gain market share than Sony does. I too think Sony targeted a 399 console and things kinda went off the rails, no fault of their own. Pricing is largely out of their control.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 launched at what would be $442.95 in 2020 adjusted for inflation:

49553610137_084a9658ac_o.png

I think an extra $57 is easily justified when you see how the PS5's rumored specs hold up next to its' PC counterparts compared to the PS4, which had dated hardware even at launch.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
It did not "bomb during the first year." The WiiU was a bomb. The ps3 outsold the 360 worldwide every single year the two were on the market including launch.

Yes it did. WiiU being even bigger bomb doesn't change that. Before price cut PS3 shipments sunk under 1 million during April-June quarter and barely over 1 million during July-September quarter. Those are bomba sales for successor of PS2.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I would assume yes but they have more reason to eat costs to gain market share than Sony does. I too think Sony targeted a 399 console and things kinda went off the rails, no fault of their own. Pricing is largely out of their control.
But didn't they say from the get-go that it'd be a premium device. Either way, if they were targeting $399, the specs at that price compared to the Series X if the rumors pan out would look bad for Sony. Personally I'm expecting about on-par performance for both, but this is me mainly humoring the idea that the Github leak may be the final PS5.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Blah. Digital Foundry is good for tech analysis but this analysis on the factors behind producing that tech was below the standard of their other videos. I'll pass on any other type of videos like this in the future. I've seen forum posts on enthusiasts pc websites that dig much deeper into manufacturing costs of GPUs and CPUs better than this.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
So honest question...was anyone expecting a modern console with an ultra fast SSD capable of real time ray tracing to be less than $500? I don't expect Sony or Microsoft to shoot for more than that but I certainly wasn't expecting $399-$449 either.

I'm confused by these "Uh-oh...it's gonna be more than we thought" pieces when their estimates are putting it squarely where I fully expected it to be.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I am fine paying even more than $500 if I receive the options I am looking for. I already expect it will be $500 and will still most likely purchase Day one.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

PS3 did not sell that at its launch price. That platform needed price cuts.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
So honest question...was anyone expecting a modern console with an ultra fast SSD capable of real time ray tracing to be less than $500? I don't expect Sony or Microsoft to shoot for more than that but I certainly wasn't expecting $399-$449 either.

I'm confused by these "Uh-oh...it's gonna be more than we thought" pieces when their estimates are putting it squarely where I fully expected it to be.
Pretty much, with what these consoles are including in the box...it's just not a $400 machine.

It's not impossible but I will be very surprised and impressed if they somehow do release at that price point.