• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Watching this footage and I really just don't 'get' ray-tracing. The game itself looks stunning, but the reflections being a bit better just really doesn't seem like that much of an improvement. There was a brief clip of some tech demo where they turned the ray-tracing on and you could suddenly see the reflection of a fire on a car and I'm just... Is that really worth cutting your framerate in half for?

I dunno, I might feel differently when I get to play around with it in-game myself, but at the moment the 60fps mode just seems like an absolute no-brainer.

Devs are using it and the consoles have hardware to support it.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017

Hopefully they deliver units to you guys very very soon. I don't envy anyone the schedule for this launch.

I think the most impressive fact is RT in the 60fps mode. That should be the most talked about thing here as it would be the first next-gen (big) game with both RT and 60fps (which is what next-gen is supposed to be about, with SSD). Also the fact that there wasn't RT in the 60fps mode they showed in Spider-man is interesting.

Maybe with experience while doing the 60fps mode on Spiderman Insomniac find ways to include RT at 60fps in their second game?
The 60fps mode they showed of the remaster doesn't have RT reflections, we'll have to wait and see, but it seems to be 4K60 but otherwise identical to the PS4 version.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they deliver units to you guys very very soon. I don't envy anyone the schedule for this launch.

The 60fps mode they showed of the remaster doesn't have RT reflections, we'll have to wait and see, but it seems to be 4K60 but otherwise identical to the PS4 version.
This is what I said. Spider-man (Peter Parker) at 60fps doesn't have RT (but runs at native 4K), while there is RT in the 60fps mode on Miles Morales (but probably with a more aggressive dynamic resolution, but most won't care about that).

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Every time the DF guys poo-poo on SSR I'm like "never has that shit bothered me" lol.

Looking forward to seeing how this game compares with its PS4 version. That's what's most interesting to me.
I like these guys but what was with the guy not remembering the title of the game? They should have done that bit again and edited in because for a start, if you're about to speak as an expert, then it's not wise to forget the very title of the game, and also, seeing as a notable thing about this game is the element of representation that having MM as the main character brings, then it really feels a bit off to flippantly forget the characters name. There are people absolutely stoked that Miles Morales is getting his moment in the sun in the movie and this game, as it finally represents them in mainstream Spider-man media. This is important. Come on, guys, this feels a bit tone deaf.
No reason to make a mountain out of a molehill.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I said. Spider-man (Peter Parker) at 60fps doesn't have RT (but runs at native 4K), while there is RT in the 60fps mode on Miles Morales (but probably with a more aggressive dynamic resolution, but most won't care about that).
Is this confirmed? I don't remember reading there's a 60fps mode with RT for MM. And the MM footage in this video looks 30.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I have a ps5 pre ordered but I hadn't decided my games. I just said fuck it and got the ultimate edition after watching this. I think this and black ops will tide me over nicely, but if miles ends up being short I might just get one of the ubi titles (still undecided between AC and Watchdogs).

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Watching this footage and I really just don't 'get' ray-tracing. The game itself looks stunning, but the reflections being a bit better just really doesn't seem like that much of an improvement. There was a brief clip of some tech demo where they turned the ray-tracing on and you could suddenly see the reflection of a fire on a car and I'm just... Is that really worth cutting your framerate in half for?

I dunno, I might feel differently when I get to play around with it in-game myself, but at the moment the 60fps mode just seems like an absolute no-brainer.
I think you're looking at it a bit wrong. Yeah, if you look at a comparison video where they turn it on and off you're gonna see the difference and might think that it isn't worth it. But raytracing is more of a vibe/ambiance and most of all an immersion thing than anything else. You won't care if the fire isn't reflected on the car, but you won't think twice about it if it's there either. The difference being that the latter would be more realistic and in turn will make you feel more immersed.

When playing Spider-Man on PS4 for example it always broke my immersion whenever I crawled onto a building and saw a lot of buildings in the reflection, but when I turned the camera around I was looking at the sea, so there weren't even buildings to be reflected in that specific building. Or when I looked in a puddle and saw a completely different scene then what I saw when I looked up. And these are things we've grown used to over the years, but once raytracing becomes a standard (which probably won't be this generation, to be honest), it'll be hard to go back to games without raytraced reflections and lighting. It's a little bit of a "you don't know what you've got till it's gone" kind of thing, lol. Just like how particles (for example sparks flying off of torches, or debris flying around in the wind) played a big role in the ambiance of current gen games, where they were mostly absent last gen. You rarely hear people talking about it, but take it away and games will suddenly feel more flat and empty.

Tl;dr: It's mostly an immersion thing.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Digital Foundry? On a Sunday?

giphy.gif

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i wonder how df will tackle all the upcoming next-gen games and multiplattform/generation software.
sonys first party outpt alone is probably much more work than those 3(+1) can handle. i dont even know if alex is doing console only videos.

shit is nuts.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Same

I imagine you'll 'notice' it on a proper monitor and away from YouTube but I can't see the trade off being worth not just opting for 60fps

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Raytracing genuinely seems like something that I've been told to care about since like 2005 and I just don't think it's that important. In fact, in some cases, it makes the scene look too bright overall, like it was designed for a different aesthetic and then with more reflections...it gets too bright. I dunno.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Raytracing genuinely seems like something that I've been told to care about since like 2005 and I just don't think it's that important. In fact, in some cases, it makes the scene look too bright overall, like it was designed for a different aesthetic and then with more reflections...it gets too bright. I dunno.

In this game ray tracing is only being used for reflections as far as I know. so not relaly have much to do with brightness.

Ray tracing really comes into it's own when it's used for shadows and path tracing of real time lighting. but that's very costly I don't think we'll see it on consoles.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
A shame. Just that swinging around with Spiderman and Miles made me think that co-op would be fun. Shame Sony don't really do MP stuff anymore.

Sony does immersive fantasies and stories - and co-op doesn't really go well with those. With so many co-op games out there, I'm glad Sony games are single-player focused narrative experiences. I want to see Miles' story, not goof around the city with a buddy.

Co-op and MP is a completely different type of fun.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I imagine you'll 'notice' it on a proper monitor and away from YouTube
I don't understand what this has to do with raytracing. You don't see a realistic reflection on YouTube or on a bad monitor? Like I said in my previous post; in Spider-Man PS4 lots of buildings had strange reflections in the windows when you were climbing them. Reflections that don't line up with the gameworld. That won't happen anymore because of ray traced reflections. You'll 'notice' that difference even if you're on a bad monitor or on YouTube. That has nothing to do with either of those things.

I might be misinterpreting your post, but I'm a little confused by it 😅 haha.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Great video. Raytracing def is great. I see some people dont get it but the key to it is immersion just adds to games presentation and it's being able to see enemies and objects behind you based on a reflection is pretty great. I also like from an optimization perspective they can limit the ray tracing to where it makes sense vs just using SSR. I know some people may not totally appreciate it but accurate light bouncing off of various objects and characters also adds to image quality as well.

that fuzz shot in the hoodie was crazy too. overally excited at what kind of image quality advancements we will get.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I literally just got tongue twisted and we kept rolling with the recording as it was getting late (the title of this game is long and has alliteration). Do not read anything insipid into it.

Thanks for the video and as always Digitalfoundry has the best youtube quality of all footage and good luck for the next three weeks. You will be busy between all the launch games of Xbox Series X. The arrival of PS5 for european press probably next week and all the games to test too in the next three weeks.

Good luck to you and the full DF team.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
In this game ray tracing is only being used for reflections as far as I know. so not relaly have much to do with brightness.

Ray tracing really comes into it's own when it's used for shadows and path tracing of real time lighting. but that's very costly I don't think we'll see it on consoles.
There are already games announced with Ray traced shadows. Quantum terror and Demon's Souls from top of my head.
Path Tracing baring minecraft is definitively a no no. But that's "brute force". So maybe we will see some optimized version of it at some point during the gen.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Great video. I hope we get a head to head of native rendering with temporal injection now that this game offers examples of both.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Just finished watching.

IIRC, RT features were said to be disabled for the 60fps mode.

Also, Insomniac (and well, all of Sony's FP sans Sony Bend at launch) have a phenomenal track record for providing perhaps the smoothest playing 30fps titles on consoles. Consequently, I'll definitely be opting to full bells and whistles mode at 30fps for MM down the line.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I think the most impressive fact is RT in the 60fps mode. That should be the most talked about thing here as it would be the first next-gen (big) game with both RT and 60fps (which is what next-gen is supposed to be about, with SSD). Also the fact that there wasn't RT in the 60fps mode they showed in Spider-man is interesting.

Maybe with experience while doing the 60fps mode on Spiderman Insomniac find ways to include RT at 60fps in their second game?

Will watch the video later but the 60 FPS mode also has RT? Not just the 30 FPS?

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017

I'm thinking about DMC5SE. I thought it looked terrible there.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
In before "downgrade scandal! PS5 can't do full RT, it's using SSR!"

But seriously yeah it seems clever and the perfect trick to have distant SSR. Especially when you consider, the techy folks at DF see and comment on things, sometimes, that 99% of people won't see in motion :p I know every time there is an example of SSR obstruction in a game, they have to pause to show it to us and we would have not noticed lol.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand what this has to do with raytracing. You don't see a realistic reflection on YouTube or on a bad monitor?

I might be misinterpreting your post, but I'm a little confused by it 😅 haha.

Maybe notice is a bad word on my part

'Appreciate it more' may be more apt, at least as is relevant for me

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Well John is Digital Foundry's PlayStation guy.

Apart from Cyberpunk 2077 on PC, there isn't much competition. AC Valhalla looked a step up from AC Odyssey even on PC in the Deep Dive, but not close to that trailer in the gameplay footage yet. WD has some decent RT implimentation, but is a bit of a mixed bag visually overall.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
In before "downgrade scandal! PS5 can't do full RT, it's using SSR!"

But seriously yeah it seems clever and the perfect trick to have distant SSR. Especially when you consider, the techy folks at DF see and comment on things, sometimes, that 99% of people won't see in motion :p I know every time there is an example of SSR obstruction in a game, they have to pause to show it to us and we would have not noticed lol.
I noticed it immediately in a close up shot of WD legions when player was fighting a cop the arm waved in front of puddle and shit disappeared

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I will agree that at present the visual result of RT used for reflections and shadows doesn't justify the cost in performance. Ray-traced global illumination is where RT really shines in my opinion, the rest are cool to have but not really transformative.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Apart from Cyberpunk 2077 on PC, there isn't much competition. AC Valhalla looked a step up from AC Odyssey even on PC in the Deep Dive, but not close to that trailer in the gameplay footage yet. WD has some decent RT implimentation, but is a bit of a mixed bag visually overall.

AC Valhalla does not use raytracing, we will be able to compare with Watchdog Legions but the game is not looking as good as Spiderman Miles Morales and AC Valhalla looks better too without RT.

Spiderman has other improvement than RT, the most important is higher details LOD0 character, strand based character hair and improve facial animation in cutscene. Other improvement are much more destruction, higher details particle, probably better motion blur, depth of field, resolution and maybe better material.

99,99% of the cross gen games have the same geometry model, here at least they improved the LOD0 character model.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh

The same could be said about other graphical features we've seen over the years though. Technology improves. Graphics improve. Raytracing is still in its infancy and will only keep getting better while also becoming cheaper to use.

At the end of the day, yes it is just reflections and might not be something you immediately notice or care about (though raytracing can also be used for shadows, ambient occlusion, global illumination, and also audio), but it does add to the overall cohesiveness of the image. There was a recent example where Miles was in a shop, and seeing civilians walking down the street via the reflections in the window, to seeing Miles/the shop owner and items for sale on the door's reflection was pretty neat even if it's not exactly important. It just makes the scene feel more complete.

For example:
gaSaWry.jpg

Guy walking down the street behind Miles.

rHFRU4n.jpg

Girl looking back at Miles waving at her as she exits the store.

OBVwVxi.jpg

The shop owner reflecting in the door as he mops. Miles is later seen reflecting in the door too.

Pretty small stuff but something I think makes everything feel more grounded. Some of this you can do with other techniques (but with varying results), but raytracing will make it easier.

Having said all that, part of me is thinking I'll play it in the 60fps mode instead and leave the high end raytracing stuff for my PC haha. We'll see.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Well John is Digital Foundry's PlayStation guy.
I'm getting an xbsx but I'm sorry, there hasn't yet Been anything shown as far as launch titles that have the visuals on par with DS or SM. There will be eventually but that's reality. Kind of think The Medium will be XS first title to showcase or at least hint at its graphical prowess.

Jul 25, 2020
There are already games announced with Ray traced shadows. Quantum terror and Demon's Souls from top of my head.
Path Tracing baring minecraft is definitively a no no. But that's "brute force". So maybe we will see some optimized version of it at some point during the gen.
Is Demon's Souls confirmed to have ray tracing? There's no mention of it on the store page, while other games have rt mentioned.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
I'm getting an xbsx but I'm sorry, there hasn't yet Been anything shown as far as launch titles that have the visuals on par with DS or SM. There will be eventually but that's reality. Kind of think The Medium will be XS first title to showcase or at least hint at its graphical prowess.
I agree 100%.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
AC Valhalla does not use raytracing, we will be able to compare with Watchdog Legions but the game is not looking as good as Spiderman Miles Morales and AC Valhalla looks better too.

Spiderman has other improvement than RT, the most important is higher details LOD0 character and strand based character hair and improve facial animation in cutscene.

99,99% of the cross gen games have the same geometry model, here at least they improved theLOD0 character model.

Yeah, for me right now across all platforms in terms of visuals it is looking like: Demon Souls>>Cyberpunk 2077>Spiderman MM>AC Valhalla Deep Dive footage. I expect the first three to deliver, AC Valhalla I am much less certain of. The Deep Dive footage looked like what I would like to see from their engine in cross gen. The gameplay footage from youtubers, not so much.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Is Demon's Souls confirmed to have ray tracing? There's no mention of it on the store page, while other games have rt mentioned.

"From Japan Studio and Bluepoint Games comes a remake of the PlayStation classic, Demon's Souls. In addition to beautiful shadow effects and ray tracing, players can choose between two graphics modes while playing: one focused on fidelity, and one focused on frame rate."
From https://blog.playstation.com/2020/06/11/playstation-studios-first-look-at-9-new-ps5-games/#nnn