• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

Join John Linneman and Alex Battaglia for reaction to the recent Spider-Man: Miles Morales gameplay reveal, showing both Miles and Peter Parker taking on the Rhino. A closer look at gameplay shows off more of the visual feature set, including ray tracing - and suffice to say, the team has much to say about it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just watching now...

first thought...why was there not a co-op option for this game??

Back to the video.

ItsBradazHD

Nov 21, 2018
Just watching now...

first thought...why was there not a co-op option for this game??

Back to the video.

Probably because this game is 99% about Miles, and, from what we know, Peter's Spider-Man is only in it for the opening. Would be kinda redundant to only have co-op for a small part of the game. But if SM2 does go down the dual-spider route heavily, co-op would be fun if done right

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
A great overview of the footage that they have access to, a great shame though that they do not have access to the console to offer direct and measurable insight.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sony doesn't do campaign co-op. Can't think of a single game of theirs this generation that had it. Maybe some kind of free exploring together with side activities.
A shame. Just that swinging around with Spiderman and Miles made me think that co-op would be fun. Shame Sony don't really do MP stuff anymore.

Footage looks super nice. Texture quality is spot on, a really impressive launch title. It does help that they already had Spiderman as a base, so I am interesting what they do with a full sequel in a few years. Crazy pretty.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Looks fantastic, those reflections in the mall, stunning. Can only imagine how sweet this will look in hdr.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
John seems really impressed by and excited for both Miles and Demon's. "The best looking launch titles across the systems".

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I like these guys but what was with the guy not remembering the title of the game? They should have done that bit again and edited in because for a start, if you're about to speak as an expert, then it's not wise to forget the very title of the game, and also, seeing as a notable thing about this game is the element of representation that having MM as the main character brings, then it really feels a bit off to flippantly forget the characters name. There are people absolutely stoked that Miles Morales is getting his moment in the sun in the movie and this game, as it finally represents them in mainstream Spider-man media. This is important. Come on, guys, this feels a bit tone deaf.

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
John seems really impressed by and excited for both Miles and Demon's. "The best looking launch titles across the systems".
Yeah he definitely does which is encouraging for where next gen will go as times goes on.

I think this is why Spider-Man being cross Gen doesn't feel that bad because it actually looks fantastic and a clear step up from the last entry.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I like these guys but what was with the guy not remembering the title of the game? They should have done that bit again and edited in because for a start, if you're about to speak as an expert, then it's not wise to forget the very title of the game, and also, seeing as a notable thing about this game is the element of representation that having MM as the main character brings, then it really feels a bit off to flippantly forget the characters name. There are people absolutely stoked that Miles Morales is getting his moment in the sun in the movie and this game, as it finally represents them in mainstream Spider-man media. This is important. Come on, guys, this feels a bit tone deaf.

What does that have to do with their brief, which is to do a tech analysis of the game footage?

They aren't speaking as video game oracles. Their expertise is in technical analysis.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Miles "whatever its called"?
I sure hope its a "I dont get the hype" kind of "whatever its called"

This giving me flashbacks of teachers giving up on saying my name cus its too (ethnic.)

Last edited:

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
What does that have to do with their brief, which is to do a tech analysis of the game footage?

They aren't speaking as video game oracles. Their expertise is in technical analysis.
Well, exactly. What does it have to do with their brief to leave that "blooper" in there, which, as I outlined, is tone deaf.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Also at this point its almost a trope with long game/movie name to not be able to pronounce and/or deliberately misread them. Athough this isn't that long/complicated thats how I took it.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
"Marvel Miles whatever" it's a nice start for a video lmao

Really interesting tho ! As always, nice video :D

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I literally just got tongue twisted and we kept rolling with the recording as it was getting late (the title of this game is long and has alliteration). Do not read anything insipid into it.

Oct 30, 2017
Good video and it is nice to see John in good spirits But yea i agree with john probably insomniac's per pixel motion blur is amazing.Also it is fascinating to see how they are using SSR with Ray Traced to reflections to create more grounded reflections.

Last edited:

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
I literally just got tongue twisted and we kept rolling with the recording as it was getting late (the title of this game is long and has alliteration). Do not read anything insipid into it.
Didn't know you were on here. I appreciate the response. I didn't necessarily assume that you meant anything by it, but I think it's a shame you didn't pick up on how it could come across. I'm pretty sure I'm by far not the only person that winced at that moment. I saw a youtuber doing a reaction video and he lliterally get close to tears watching the gameplay footage because his community was being represented.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020

EDIT: Dictator clarified himself, all good!

Great video and, as a spanish myself, really happy to see an hispanic being the main character in such a huge game!

That Guy

Nov 13, 2017
You're taking a minor title slip up way too seriously

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Still see things popping in really close to miles. Ps4 origin showing through perhaps

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Watching this footage and I really just don't 'get' ray-tracing. The game itself looks stunning, but the reflections being a bit better just really doesn't seem like that much of an improvement. There was a brief clip of some tech demo where they turned the ray-tracing on and you could suddenly see the reflection of a fire on a car and I'm just... Is that really worth cutting your framerate in half for?

I dunno, I might feel differently when I get to play around with it in-game myself, but at the moment the 60fps mode just seems like an absolute no-brainer.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I there a compilation of all the minute long snippets of gameplay that came from Gameinformer over the past week?

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
Watching this footage and I really just don't 'get' ray-tracing. The game itself looks stunning, but the reflections being a bit better just really doesn't seem like that much of an improvement. There was a brief clip of some tech demo where they turned the ray-tracing on and you could suddenly see the reflection of a fire on a car and I'm just... Is that really worth cutting your framerate in half for?

I dunno, I might feel differently when I get to play around with it in-game myself, but at the moment the 60fps mode just seems like an absolute no-brainer.
It's sometimes a really subtle effect, but to me it makes the difference between what we're used to and what's incoming. It adds a solidity to the image, and making things look more like they really do occupy the same space. There's also a bit of diminishing returns going on.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran

things happen sometimes :) . Anyways quality of the video is top notch.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's kinda amazing we have this level of ray tracing for launch.

I originally thought RT would be rare, but it being part of the baseline should mean most developers will utilise it to some extent.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

Well, besides potential for better visuals, ray tracing is also very much about reducing development time by now having to manipulate light sources etc. as much manually. So even if it were to look merely on par, it could still be a massive win if it took noticeably less time.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Lmao wow I've watched that gameplay a few times how am I just now realizing Rhino swings off the Insomniac logo at 1:50

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I think the most impressive fact is RT in the 60fps mode. That should be the most talked about thing here as it would be the first next-gen (big) game with both RT and 60fps (which is what next-gen is supposed to be about, with SSD). Also the fact that there wasn't RT in the 60fps mode they showed in Spider-man is interesting.

Maybe with experience while doing the 60fps mode on Spiderman Insomniac find ways to include RT at 60fps in their second game?