• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Rich, if you're reading this, I want to see a Patreon tier that provides access to weekly 4k 120fps videos of you just holding console stands and slowly rotating them on camera. Although I do think seeing the consoles and their unboxing was an important aspect of this video, I cannot stress how much that scene sold me on the entire experience. Perhaps even a dedicated DF channel for console stands.

(Loved the video! Next gen hyyyyype!)

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
What would be surprising about either of these things? These sound like exactly what I would expect out of 3rd party games.

Some people are expecting a noticeable difference in visuals between PS5 and Series X due to the X's larger more powerful GPU. Similarly many people expect the PS5 to be able to load games way faster than the X since its SSD has much faster read speeds.

If the differences in visuals and load times turn out to be smaller than expected, then those people will be surprised.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Rich, if you're reading this, I want to see a Patreon tier that provides access to weekly 4k 120fps videos of you just holding console stands and slowly rotating them on camera. Although I do think seeing the consoles and their unboxing was an important aspect of this video, I cannot stress how much that scene sold me on the entire experience. Perhaps even a dedicated DF channel for console stands.

(Loved the video! Next gen hyyyyype!)

That would be an only fans.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Dude seems like a fanboy though lol

Holy shit lol

This is why I laugh whenever some people on Era go "but the devs said!" as if they're not human beings capable of extreme biases. Shit, I've seen some of the biggest fanboys that are devs and/or gaming "media." Most of them aren't like this, but then theres people like this guy.

They're human just like everyone else.

Edit: some of his previous tweets...jesus.

Last edited:

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Yeeeah, no, lol.

Higher and more stable framerates alone are much more desirable.
In competitive multiplayer sure, but if there's a 60fps mode on PS5 for a single player game and the DualSense features are being taken advantage of I'd be tempted to give up some ray traced reflections and native 4K for a more immersive controller experience. I guess it'll vary on a game by game basis.

Crazy surprise theories:
  • DualSense has picoprojector embedded, so you can play your games away from TV if needed + works as second screen gimmick
  • Touchpad is actually touchscreen. It was just glowing white all the time before the final level of astrobot unfreezes it
Not so crazy:
  • Sony has it's own "autoimprove" feature for BC (upscale, HDR, etc) and it works wonders
  • There are more pre-installed games on the console
  • PS5 has native 1440p and/or widescreen support. Fuck it, ANY screen support, assets are scaled properly on system level.
Finally, I personally didn't feel that "surprise" is something good in this case. Guys weren't looking positive while discussing it. But that's me.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
The surprise is that there's a day one, 100GB patch for Bloodborne.

It converts the game into Knack 3.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
My only goal is to find someone who makes me as happy as USB C makes Rich.

giphy.gif
I hate that we weaponize this kindly man for warz.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good but I'm finding this harder and harder to believe as times goes on. MS are pretty much able to dictate how game development is handled due to their involvement in developing architectures and systems that gpu/cpu makers will have to utilize. And unless they make the tools to get that done hard to get used to, devs will benefit from a unified system for xbox/pc by reducing their work, somewhat. Give it time and we'll probably see things getting harder and harder for anyone working outside those walls.
(need coffee)
Yup, agreed.

dumbo11

Apr 29, 2018
I'm convinced they got the ps3 and ps2 BC to work. I don't care if they claim it's not there, it's probably there. Only because i can't picture anything else that can make that much of a difference between the consoles worth the wink wink

BC would create problems for customers who pre-ordered the DE model (and might want to change their pre-order), so I'm guessing it probably isn't that.

My own guess is that the surprise relates to the unexplained 'share->create' button.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
BC would create problems for customers who pre-ordered the DE model (and might want to change their pre-order), so I'm guessing it probably isn't that.

My own guess is that the surprise relates to the unexplained 'share->create' button.
I went for the DE because I've been digital-only for the entirety of this gen, I would be livid if they surprise announced legacy BC because I have boxes of PS1/PS2/PS3 games literally inches away from me that I would love to use again without the hassle of setting up an ageing machine over a decade old.
I'm pretty convinced Sony would much rather we re-purchase any legacy content (which I reluctantly did on the PS3 & Vita) so absolutely not expecting any surprise legacy BC announcements.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
ok what are the chances Dual Sense features are replicated (and supported) in future PC and Xbox controllers ?
It all sounds too good for it not to influence other pads and even become a standard in the future.

I'm not sure if it makes sense for MS to adopt those for the standard Xbox controller. It pretty much forces you to always include those features moving forward if your focus is 100% of games will be playable on the next version. If those feature turn out to be gimmicks or need to cut cost, they will be limiting themselves. Sort of makes sense to not included them on the base controller.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds good but I'm finding this harder and harder to believe as times goes on. MS are pretty much able to dictate how game development is handled due to their involvement in developing architectures and systems that gpu/cpu makers will have to utilize. And unless they make the tools to get that done hard to get used to, devs will benefit from a unified system for xbox/pc by reducing their work, somewhat. Give it time and we'll probably see things getting harder and harder for anyone working outside those walls.
(need coffee)

They tried this to different extents before, at different points in the past - unifying PC/Xbox dev/driver stacks - and the last attempt didn't exactly go swimmingly, and they later backtracked to a certain extent. Some of this - very, very speculative and likely very premature talk about potentially lagging launch-window sw stack performance - has a certain echo. It would be pretty shocking if the same thing happened again on that front.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Since they said it has nothing to do with console comprising, I like the idea that was mention earlier that the XSX can run full Windows 10 mode (though I feel like that would have leaked also)
This would be amazing.

What would be surprising about either of these things? These sound like exactly what I would expect out of 3rd party games.
Reading the bottom part again, I agree. That also wouldn't be surprising.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if it makes sense for MS to adopt those for the standard Xbox controller. It pretty much forces you to always include those features moving forward if your focus is 100% of games will be playable on the next version. If those feature turn out to be gimmicks or need to cut cost, they will be limiting themselves. Sort of makes sense to not included them on the base controller.

How would they be limiting themselves if they create parity where parity does not currently exist? I don't think this makes sense at all, especially considering the triggers on the current Xbox controllers and Microsoft's dedication to controller advancement (the Elite models in particular). Right now, their limiting factor is the absence of features, not the addition of features.

Moreover, Microsoft only limits itself by having a perceptibly worse solution than the competition, not by offering an equivalent such that Sony's positive talking point is removed.

If the technology isn't used it, it isn't used. There are zero indications that the lack of feature usage or implementation would limit the DualSense in any way (it would simply be another controller!), so I have no idea why that would even be considered on the Microsoft side of things.

Am I missing something here?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

Wouldn't cause a problem at all if they do it like Microsoft. You pay $10 for a digital license and BOOM you're playing ratchet and clank 3 up your arsenal

Plus there is like next to no digital editions out there.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
(need coffee)

The scenario you're describing won't ever happen because PC isn't a unified/standardized platform, and Microsoft can't dictate what CPU/GPU makers do with their product, if anything MS has to acquiesce to CPU/GPU makers since they can exist without Windows.

Not to mention Direct X as an API has, throughout its lifetime, seen many iterations that are absolutely regressive and counter-productive for optimization and featureset. DX12 itself was derided by developers and enthusiasts specifically because it lacked optimization compared to DX11, and likewise for previous iterations of DX. Microsoft's development environment is universally accepted because it's easily attainable "supported" by the majority of PCs, but other APIs like Vulkan were better received because they did allow for better optimization.

As others have also mentioned, MS has attempted this in the past and failed. MS is universally known as a "software company" but it's also known for its frequent software blunders. Expecting them to all of a sudden achieve a level of uniformity, standardization and optimization that they're not capable of (whether it's due to themselves, or PC component makers) is a lot more far-fetched than the alternative.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Dude seems like a fanboy though lol

Maybe but I don't think he's wrong. Demon's Souls looks utterly fantastic and is easily the best looking next gen thing I've seen. Nothing has come close on XBox that I've seen and your average person will not care whether one has full RDNA2 support or not.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I would buy that dang thing so fast, just you watch!

On a side note - does anyone have experience using decals on their console hardware - something like the product Dbrand sell, for instance?

Has it been a good result? Any regrets? Are you going to do it again this generation?
I've used them, they are easy to apply, remove and leave no residue at all. The only issue I would have is with controllers and make sure the stickers don't leave seams that might be uncomfortable. Otherwise, I have no hesitation.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Finally, I personally didn't feel that "surprise" is something good in this case. Guys weren't looking positive while discussing it. But that's me.
I agree. They sounded to me like it was a surprise that was going to shock and bum out some people. Maybe the PS5 runs better, or the XBox is missing something. It might be because they were focusing on PS5 in that video, but it felt to me that it was going to be something that doesn't make the XBox look good, even though on paper it's a better machine. I might be reading too much into it of course.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Driving games suck as is on a controller. This would make them worse.
I think he's right though. Next step is resistive sticks (if possible).

I don't know if you ever tried VR, but the biggest immersion breaking thing is the lack of any kind of force feedback when interacting with the world. For Sony at least, improving on this is super important and I'm sure VR R&D alread inspired the line of innovation we got with the Dualsense in the first place.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This got a laugh out of me. 🤣

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
My only goal is to find someone who makes me as happy as USB C makes Rich.

giphy.gif

Hahahaha, this is wonderful.

Holy shit lol

This is why I laugh whenever some people on Era go "but the devs said!" as if they're not human beings capable of extreme biases. Shit, I've seen some of the biggest fanboys that are devs and/or gaming "media." Most of them aren't like this, but then theres people like this guy.

They're human just like everyone else.

Edit: some of his previous tweets...jesus.
Exactly. No reason to assume any credibility from someone who has that heavy of a bias.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
Maybe but I don't think he's wrong. Demon's Souls looks utterly fantastic and is easily the best looking next gen thing I've seen. Nothing has come close on XBox that I've seen and your average person will not care whether one has full RDNA2 support or not.
clearly I'm missing something as I don't think it looks any better than cyberpunk

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Series X looks so good. Other than the mandatory stand for horizontal mode.
The shiny black plastic on the PS5 is awful. It's a minute old and already looks banged up and scratched in the footage. Didn't Sony learn from PS3?

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
My completely uninformed guesses on a surprise:
1) PS5 bc it's much better than expected. 4k/60fps Bloodborne etc.
2) The ssd in the PS5 almost negates performance gains in the xb. Maybe the resolution is technically higher but hard to tell, yet it loads slower.
3) XB other than the controller, is better in every way compared to PS5. Quietness, heat, speed, resolution etc.
4) Downloading Knack on PS5 adds 3+ tflops.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My completely uninformed guesses on a surprise:
1) PS5 bc it's much better than expected. 4k/60fps Bloodborne etc.
2) The ssd in the PS5 almost negates performance gains in the xb. Maybe the resolution is technically higher but hard to tell, yet it loads slower.
3) XB other than the controller, is better in every way compared to PS5. Quietness, heat, speed, resolution etc.
4) Downloading Knack on PS5 adds 3+ tflops.

I would put all my money on the 4.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the "surprise" is more UI stuff that Sony held back on

was interested with the whole sneak peak we got before even though some don't care for it