• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
xbox_series_x_white_color_1.jpg

Yeah I agree, looks really nice!

That's beautiful.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
That looks like a PS5 heat death in the making to me - a very confined space with a 350w power supply console doesn't seem like a good fit.

Air straight in and out front to back. The 'collar' means you should be ok with limited vertical space as long as you have an open back. I think you'd want some space to the right as well to allow air in the 'top' but a few cm should be enough

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
xbox_series_x_white_color_1.jpg

Yeah I agree, looks really nice!

I would buy that dang thing so fast, just you watch!

On a side note - does anyone have experience using decals on their console hardware - something like the product Dbrand sell, for instance?

Has it been a good result? Any regrets? Are you going to do it again this generation?

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
ok what are the chances Dual Sense features are replicated (and supported) in future PC and Xbox controllers ?
It all sounds too good for it not to influence other pads and even become a standard in the future.

dumbo11

Apr 29, 2018
ok what are the chances Dual Sense features are replicated (and supported) in future PC and Xbox controllers ?
It all sounds too good for it not to influence other pads and even become a standard in the future.

PCs tend to use keyboard/mouse. It's very unclear whether this would be useful on a mouse (they are really sensitive, and the buttons aren't analog). But new VR controllers are certain to try to integrate this.

For Xbox, it seems complicated.
- I think the XB controller is around the same weight/size as the Dual Sense already, this functionality would probably make it heavier/bigger. (moving to an integrated battery would probably help etc?)
- MS have focused heavily on input lag reduction, this system may have issues shovelling a ton of haptic information from the console to the controllers.
- it might be somewhat incompatible with controllers/APIs that support impulse triggers.
- replacing a controller SKU 'mid-generation' has the obvious issues. (patchy game support, supply chain mess etc).

Certainly a future xbox controller could add this feature - but I'm not at all sure that it will.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Via patent applications, MS was researching similar tech, re. the triggers anyway. I think it's mostly a business decision as to whether and when they adopt them in the product.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Via patent applications, MS was researching similar tech, re. the triggers anyway. I think it's mostly a business decision as to whether and when they adopt them in the product.

I didn't know this, that is good news. The DF Dualsense impressions have me really excited to try it out one of the days. If it's as good as they say, and I can mostly believe it, I really hope this tech become standard.

Jun 7, 2020
Im wondering if the speed difference of the SSD is incredibly noticeable in loading the same third party games. Excited to find out what they're referring to, because you'd think it's PS5 related since they're able to talk about pretty much everything to do with the XSX.

SSD speed differences in PS5's favour wouldn't be "surprising" in my opinion, but expected. XSX matching or exceeding it would be extremely surprising, for example.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Could be very much tweaked from a distraction in PVP to being an advantage.

Reaction to stimulus from haptic feedback if done well is definitely far from a distraction, it might require a learning curve/getting used to but when muscle memory settles in it could very much be a game changer.

Imagine dialing down the haptic feedback to the absolute minimum but still being able to differentiate a pulse when you successfully block a punch in MK and being able to react to that on instinct or when you get hit and can make a recovery before you even get visual confirmation.
I'm more focused on shooters, didn't even let my mind register a fighter because i would be using arcade sticks

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when they (and other places) are allowed talk about Series S stuff?

Not gonna lie, it's not exactly filling me with confidence there's been radio silence lol
Is there even an embargo on Series S? My guess is that most aren't just interested in it, the social media views for S is a lot smaller compared to X and especially PS5

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there even an embargo on Series S? My guess is that most aren't just interested in it, the social media views for S is a lot smaller compared to X and especially PS5
There is an S embargo but details are missing. I think we will hear a lot more next days, as well as we hear more about PS5. It's understandable that MS wanted to highlight the X in the beginning, of course.

Jun 7, 2020
Here are the surprises I anticipate:
  • PS5 does not match the Series X in multiplatform titles, but gets much closer than expected
  • Load times are better on PS5, but not to the degree that the 2.4 GB/s vs. 5.5 GB/s comparison would suggest

Those are the only two things I think would qualify as surprising considering the wink wink nudge nudge context in which they brought it up. It was book-ended by saying how they can't talk about it yet, and how that's all they can really say for now. It makes no sense that it's related to some feature in Astro Bot demo. Context matters.

I noticed John also called the PS5 "that PS quintuple" in his DualSense video.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
Clearly the surprise is about the very first thing they did on the PS5: they inserted the Bloodborne disc and the game ran in 4k at 120 fps.

renx

Jan 3, 2020
Dude seems like a fanboy though lol

LOL I know right?
But maybe all of the people trully involved are a little bit like that. "Crush the competition!" LOL

The point is if he's not lying, then the console has some beautiful sauce inside, which aligns with some patents as well.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This "surprise" tangent ya'll going off on is whack. There's already so much to be excited for...we don't need to start making up shit lmao
it's like some of you in this thread are channeling klee. I hope people don't send threats at digital foundry again when you don't get what you want.
It's not that serious....
  • PS5 does not match the Series X in multiplatform titles, but gets much closer than expected
  • Load times are better on PS5, but not to the degree that the 2.4 GB/s vs. 5.5 GB/s comparison would suggest
I wouldnt call the top surprising. If anything the opposite would be.

The bottom would definitely be surprising.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Who knows if these comments are connected in any way, but they all made me think about the possibility that, in early gen games, PS5 may have the upper hand. At least sometimes. Which wouldn't be shocking. Dev kits were in devs hands earlier, and it's a more straightforward upgrade to develop on compared to the Series X/S.

Today's video:

Richard: (end of the video sum-up) "I think that's all we really have to say about the two consoles in the here and now. Embargoes will be coming up shortly. So much to share. Any final thoughts? From my perspective, without giving anything (emphasis Richard's) away, and not talking at all about platform comparisons, I think people are gonna be surprised. That's my takeway. There are surprises here."
John: "Yes. I think we can agree on that. There will be surprises. [laughs]
Richard: [laughs] That's all we can say about that.

The 1-Million Subscriber Stream:

John: "I can't wait to see these both in action. We haven't had hands-on with the PS5 yet, but just talking to developers, I think people are gonna be...surprised. In a good way, with it. Uh, hearing some good things about that PS5, so. "

Eurogamer Expo "How Xbox Series S changes the race against PS5":

Richard: "Every single developer I've spoken to developing for PS5 has been evangelizing how easy it is to work for. [...] I can't stress enough how happy developers seem to be with this situation." "There is simply no doubt that the Xbox Series X, on paper, is the more powerful machine. However, again, speaking to developers, the development environment they are dealing with some people seem to be extremely happy with it, other people are having problems with it, because they've moved away from what was previously the XDK which was specific for the Xbox to the GDK, which is a more general environment for PC and for Xbox."
Sounds good but I'm finding this harder and harder to believe as times goes on. MS are pretty much able to dictate how game development is handled due to their involvement in developing architectures and systems that gpu/cpu makers will have to utilize. And unless they make the tools to get that done hard to get used to, devs will benefit from a unified system for xbox/pc by reducing their work, somewhat. Give it time and we'll probably see things getting harder and harder for anyone working outside those walls.
(need coffee)

Dec 8, 2018
I didn't know this, that is good news. The DF Dualsense impressions have me really excited to try it out one of the days. If it's as good as they say, and I can mostly believe it, I really hope this tech become standard.

The problem becomes how much effort will be put into games where you don't know how many have one of these controllers. On the PS5 as a developer you know every customer have one and can literally build games around it if you want with full confidence while if it's a late option you really can't look at it the same way.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I agree and it wont be widely adopted unless xbox and Pc jumps on board

I dont think Sony needs xbox and PC to have anything adopted. They sell millions of consoles every year on their own to have this feature be adopted. Especially since we have had an Activision dev here comment that it is super easy to implement.

What would really determine support is not xbox or PC users but if Playstation users actively clamour for it. If you start seeing a pattern of people asking for dual sense support after every third party announcement it will become standardized. No one asked about touchpad support since it had minimal impact to actual gameplay. I dont think that will be the case with this given how gushing the praise has been.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'm convinced they got the ps3 and ps2 BC to work. I don't care if they claim it's not there, it's probably there. Only because i can't picture anything else that can make that much of a difference between the consoles worth the wink wink

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That looks like a PS5 heat death in the making to me - a very confined space with a 350w power supply console doesn't seem like a good fit.

The console only needs room around the back, top and front, so this placement would be perfectly fine.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
The problem becomes how much effort will be put into games where you don't know how many have one of these controllers. On the PS5 as a developer you know every customer have one and can literally build games around it if you want with full confidence while if it's a late option you really can't look at it the same way.

Yeah this is a key point, its about knowing everyone has one of these playing your ps5 games so you could make it a key part of your game however knowing that a platform might have some people with or without the controller its going to be a different beast. Although saying that the only example I can think of is the analogue sticks on ps1, they seemed to receive good support so maybe it could be done? Either way I have more faith in it being implemented in ps5 games than series x if they did release a controller in the future.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
I'm trying to recall who it was but there was a dev out there saying the feature they were most excited about next gen wasn't the SSD, console power or controller but something entirely different that they couldn't talk about. I think there's some feature/features yet to be revealed that might be impressive on one or both of the consoles.
Jim Ryan said something similar earlier this year. In that point we already knew the improvements on the controller, 3D Audio and some info about the SSD so I wonder what Ryan was referring to. It's difficult to think that he was talking about nuts & bolts stuff (I/O, cooling solution etc.) that was revealed later this year. Those seems to be aspects that only hardcore fanbase are enthusiastic about.

www.destructoid.com

PS5 is yet to reveal its biggest and most unique features, says SIE's Jim Ryan

Coffee Maker confirmed? Speaking in an interview with Business Insider Japan, Sony Interactive Entertainment President Jim Ryan has stated that...

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
Am I missing something or does he not say "not at all about platform comparisons" with the surprises....

and then everybody is taking about platform comparisons lol...
He said that at the moment he could "give anything away" or talk about "platform comparisons." The implication was he could not talk about that stuff yet...

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Since they said it has nothing to do with console comprising, I like the idea that was mention earlier that the XSX can run full Windows 10 mode (though I feel like that would have leaked also)

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
Series S keeps 1440p 60 FPS and hardware scaler makes it nigh on indistinguishable to the elder consoles in image quality at 4k

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

What would be surprising about either of these things? These sound like exactly what I would expect out of 3rd party games.