• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The one thing that is bothering me about that part where you have the springs increasing the triggers tension is that in every single footage I'm seeing people are missing some coins and some very simple jumps.

Of course this is just a tech demo that perhaps pushed the sensors too far, but I hope it's not too easy for the devs to mess this up and get the extra tension in the way of the gameplay.

Perhaps a system level setting for scaling the overall force would solve that too.

I think it's because his controls in the spring suit are motion controlled instead of using the analogue sticks, so it'll take a bit more getting used to and mastery versus regular Astro controls.

How'd this become a Dualsense thread XD

A lot of the video was focused on DualSense.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
If they reduced polling and latency I'm sure it would jump way up but it doesn't seem like that's something they want to do. With rumble and speaker turned off I usually got 8-10hrs on my ds4 so this seems to be noticeably better with all features turned on.
I hope it is near 12 on a full charge. That is workable. With the haptics and all that I am wondering what it will be. I think I might get that charging cradle.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5... I just can't. I tried my hardest and held onto my preorder in hopes I could convince myself but that thing is just so ridiculously ugly to me and will look horrible in my entertainment center. I'm sad I'll be missing some of the exclusives but I'm going to hold out hope something nicer and more incognito comes out in the next 1-2 years. Pre-order canceled =[
someone dont care about games your in wrong place

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People please, bare with me, c'mon.
What would the people behind THE reference media outlet regarding platform comparison, which 8 out of their 10 most watched videos are about direct comparisons would say about THE comparison every single snow flake on this forum is looking forward to for at least a year? And what would be THE surprises in this case?
I fully agree. There's a lot of circumstantial evidence for the existence of the missing feature, but it seems too big and important to exist and still be kept hidden for this long.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I admit I only watched until he controller talk so I missed it XD

I thought there was an embargo on the controller talk which is why I didn't watch it. But I've seen it now. I understand XD

What?! It's all the journalists are talking about--how crazy cool and revolutionary it is. Even the old folks from Giant Bomb!

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
The PS5... I just can't. I tried my hardest and held onto my preorder in hopes I could convince myself but that thing is just so ridiculously ugly to me and will look horrible in my entertainment center. I'm sad I'll be missing some of the exclusives but I'm going to hold out hope something nicer and more incognito comes out in the next 1-2 years. Pre-order canceled =[

You'll be waiting a while for a slim version if they even do one.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I think it's because his controls in the spring suit are motion controlled instead of using the analogue sticks, so it'll take a bit more getting used to and mastery versus regular Astro controls.
Ah so it uses the triggers to adjust the tension and the motion controls to jump?

Yeah in this case I can see why people are struggling with it.

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing that is bothering me about that part where you have the springs increasing the triggers tension is that in every single footage I'm seeing people are missing some coins and some very simple jumps.

Of course this is just a tech demo that perhaps pushed the sensors too far, but I hope it's not too easy for the devs to mess this up and get the extra tension in the way of the gameplay.

Perhaps a system level setting for scaling the overall force would solve that too.
You think it's an issue with the controller technology and not the fact that people are just becoming accustomed to a new control scheme when they put on the frog suit? Not to mention the fact that game journalists are often not amazing at games.

But you're worried the tech is hurting their ability to play.

Interesting.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
do not know if it is exactly the same but xbox one has already got impulse triggers, in racing games it is perfect for feeling the grip of the cars.
It's not at all the same. Impulse triggers is rumble in the triggers while adaptive triggers have different tension/resistance depending on the action of the triggers.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I can't wait to try the Dualsense. Gonna be excited, but damn the triggers look....too chunky. But it's whatever. Never liked PlayStation triggers.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Sorry, you think the devs messed something up and made it hard to play. Or maybe the tech demo "pushed the sensors too far."
Y'all read too much into things. Lukas Taves does have a valid observation, the tension of the trigger can be set to prevent you from physically being able to press it down. I think people think the tension is just soft but developers have the ability to lock the controller. The question becomes if not done right can it have an adverse effect on the playability. Good news is the tension can be over ridden in the settings menu.

Lukas Taves to address your observation, those frog sections you are talking about were mostly motion control by tilting the Dual Sense. I've seen other demos where it was played perfectly.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
Dumb guess at the surprise hinted at, Series S loads the fastest.
It's the same CPU and SSD as the Series X but will have lower resolution textures due to having lower output resolution so S being faster to load than X seems comon sense. I'd be surprised if it overcomes the PS5 with it's 2x faster SSD though and even if it does first party games won't be able to take too much advantage of that speed due to supporting the other SKU.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah so it uses the triggers to adjust the tension and the motion controls to jump?

Yeah in this case I can see why people are struggling with it.

Sorry, misread your post. The triggers control the tension in the spring, eg how far you'll jump based on how much you've tightened the spring. The motion controls dictate the direction of your jump.

Last edited:

A.M.R

May 17, 2020
Big differences in the unboxing experience. One console is elegantly presented to you. The other is just packed together like a bag of groceries.

It makes no difference to the product of course. But it shows that one company took much more care in how to present their premium console.

Microsoft won the unboxing war, confirmed!

but in all seriousness, they really went way & beyond with with the full size fridge unboxing 😅

Oct 25, 2017
Big differences in the unboxing experience. One console is elegantly presented to you. The other is just packed together like a bag of groceries.

It makes no difference to the product of course. But it shows that one company took much more care in how to present their premium console.
MS has been taking extra care in presentation all year.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Sorry, you think the devs messed something up and made it hard to play. Or maybe the tech demo "pushed the sensors too far."
The whole point of the triggers is that you can increase their tension to the point its physically impossible to push it further.

You really don't think that it's possible that too much tension can be applied in a way that for instance gets in the way of certain precision you need to apply?

Doesn't mean it has anything wrong with the tech, but I do think it is a valid point if developers need to take care of how much pressure they require to use (and again, since this is adjusted by the settings as pointed out, it's literally a non issue now)

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
5eb1ed59-2cad-4339-90uj21.jpeg
Lmao

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

Is this a bit? Poe's law been absolutely merciless the past pandemic or so.

Jun 7, 2020
I really start to be more hyped with the controller than the new system

It's always been at least 50% of the excitement with me since I was a kid. I remember staring at magazine pictures of the console I was hoping to get for Christmas and knowing it would mean cooler games but also a whole new controller, now with analog sticks, or shoulder buttons, or analog triggers instead of buttons. Then rumble becoming a thing and wondering what that would be like.
DualSense is by far the most exciting part of next-gen for me. I thought the triggers would just adjust to a new static tension when unloaded and stay there until changed. That it's as dynamic as a force feedback wheel is MEGA. Each gun could have its own trigger break and reset feeling through your finger. Combined with the haptics that are apparently a generation ahead of Nintendos to the point even Richard is banging on about it; I'm so pumped. Can't wait to feel how the different weapons, different kinds of hits and different parry timings and blocks actually feel in Demon's Souls.
Digital Foundry don't seem ones for gimmicks—especially Richard—but they seem really excited about it.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Wow, I really did not expect to see such unbridled enthusiasm for the Dualsense from Richard. That's pretty crazy. I'm even more excited to try it out now.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
A slim revision is all but assured. Every playstation has had a slim version since the ps2.
For sure it's coming. What I find pretty funny is the fact that people want a PS5 slim to be this totally different console but in reality, when you look back at the past couple of PlayStations's, the slim models tend to keep the same design language of the launch SKU's and not be dramatically smaller in size.

Oct 25, 2017
The whole point of the triggers is that you can increase their tension to the point its physically impossible to push it further.

You really don't think that it's possible that too much tension can be applied in a way that for instance gets in the way of certain precision you need to apply?

Doesn't mean it has anything wrong with the tech, but I do think it is a valid point if developers need to take care of how much pressure they require to use (and again, since this is adjusted by the settings as pointed out, it's literally a non issue now)
Since developers have to play their games as they develop them, I think they'll manage to avoid creating control schemes that literally don't function. So it's true that it is possible to make the triggers too tough for a certain task. It's not something I'd worry about making it into a finished product, or even presenting much of a challenge during development.

Jun 7, 2020
I must know what these surprises are.

My bet is on the rumours and whispers we've had since before we knew the specs. They're super close in real world testing despite the numbers, with PS5 potentially scoring some surprise slight wins in multi-platforms, even if perhaps XSX has more slight wins over all.
If these were literally identical GPUs with only clock and CU count differences, it would be straight-forward; and this is how some people are comparing them. But they're not identical, despite both being derived from the same base architecture. They vary in hardware that has a performance impact. XSX being aligned with PC architecture which makes sense for Microsoft, and Sony perhaps going a bit more proprietary with theirs if the rumours and patents are real and implemented.

With the context in which "surprises" was used, that was my immediate reaction. If XSX is just simply 15-18% faster it wouldn't really be surprising, and the context was about not being able to talk about system comparisons yet, with the "surprises" being a little hint before they had to drop the subject. Similar to the hint John dropped in the live stream under similar circumstances from what he was hearing from developers. It's not that PS triple, but it's close.

Oct 25, 2017
For sure it's coming. What I find pretty funny is the fact that people want a PS5 slim to be this totally different console but in reality, when you look back at the past couple of PlayStations's, the slim models tend to keep the same design language of the launch SKU's and not be dramatically smaller in size.

Well the ps2 slim was ridiculously tiny. I cant remember what the ps3 slim was like. The ps4 slim doesn't seem too much smaller than the base ps4.

Given the massive size of the heasink and fan in the ps5, I agree that I dont think we will anything too compact.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
My bet is on the rumours and whispers we've had since before we knew the specs. They're super close in real world testing despite the numbers, with PS5 potentially scoring some surprise slight wins in multi-platforms, even if perhaps XSX has more slight wins over all.
If these were literally identical GPUs with only clock and CU count differences, it would be straight-forward; and this is how some people are comparing them. But they're not identical, despite both being derived from the same base architecture. They vary in hardware that has a performance impact. XSX being aligned with PC architecture which makes sense for Microsoft, and Sony perhaps going a bit more proprietary with theirs if the rumours and patents are real and implemented.

With the context in which "surprises" was used, that was my immediate reaction. If XSX is just simply 15-18% faster it wouldn't really be surprising, and the context was about not being able to talk about system comparisons yet, with the "surprises" being a little hint before they had to drop the subject. Similar to the hint John dropped in the live stream under similar circumstances from what he was hearing from developers. It's not that PS triple, but it's close.
Im wondering if the speed difference of the SSD is incredibly noticeable in loading the same third party games. Excited to find out what they're referring to, because you'd think it's PS5 related since they're able to talk about pretty much everything to do with the XSX.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt anyone has a multiplat for both systems yet so I really don't think it's about comparing third party games. That content will likely be right after launch.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The controller seems to be the star and I want to use it. All of this sounds amazing and hopefully developers will use these features in a innovative way for years to come. Great job Sony.

SonicTheHodgeheg
I dunno if this is the surprise, since they would need PS5 and Series X versions of a third party game to make such comparisons. Both of them seem to be excited about the surprise, but they never were excited when the weaker console outperforms the stronger console before.