• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
People were screaming from the mountaintops on this board demanding 4k60 next-gen endlessly so I'm surprised there isnt more backlash. This place is weird.

Exactly. It was all about the flops and how PC was going to hold them back- and now we're looking at 30fps games lol

It never changes. If Sony ran a vineyard they'd have some of the best wine around, but would serve it in paper cups.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
I don't think many people are demanding 4K/60 on the new consoles, but a 60FPS should at least be an option, most people would be happy for 1080 or 1440 on consoles.

I'm not so sure about that.

If digital foundry deep dived a launch title and it was 1080p, regardless of visuals this message board would implode

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
60fps should be standard next gen. There is no excuse for any of the new systems to not hit locked 60fps due to the new specs. If Red Dead Redemption 2 can hit Native 4K and steady 30fps on a Xbox One X with 6tflops, weaker GPU and CPU, are you telling me these new consoles like the PS5 can't at least do a solid 60fps and 4K?

Hella ignorance in this post. JFC.

Y'all need to get used to the idea that 4k60fps w/raytracing and general big improvements in visual and asset quality isn't going to happen on these (likely) $500 systems. Not as standard anyway. To build a PC that does this would cost 3x as much.

And also this 'no excuses' rhetoric needs to stop. Have you worked a day in game development in your life to be saying stuff like this? Not every developer has the time, resource or even talents to do what Rockstar did with RDR2 on the Xbox One X. Real stupid comparison there.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Exactly. It was all about the flops and how PC was going to hold them back- and now we're looking at 30fps games lol

It never changes. If Sony ran a vineyard they'd have some of the best wine around, but would serve it in paper cups.

This is a complete mischaracterization of what people were saying, which was about the SSD and probably not true anyway.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what you're talking about. They look razor sharp.

You're seriously comparing this to Vita screens? Like, wtf?

Bch5wKn.png

100% crop

look at the artifacts on and all around aloy

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Thing is, if the PS4 can push a game that looks as good as Horizon 2 at native 4K30 just IMAGINE how good it will be where they fall back to reconstruction techniques.

This is how I thought it would go. 4K at the start, then reconstruction will be used more and more as we get further into the generation for better and better graphics.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I don't think many people are demanding 4K/60 on the new consoles, but a 60FPS should at least be an option, most people would be happy for 1080 or 1440 on consoles.
It's not that simple. If a game is bottlenecked by the CPU, dropping the resolution won't increase the framerate. You can't have a blanket 1440p/60fps or 4K/30fps option.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with you that 30fps is fine but how on earth do you not notice the difference? As a kid noticed the difference between 30 and 60 before I even knew what frame rate was. I remember playing Smash and F-Zero and thinking it was so much smoother than other games I was playing at the time

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone that higher frame rates can make a difference, just that for many people, it's not enough of one to make a discernable or major impact on their gaming experience.

I think a major factor in what you're describing is the reliance on games that use higher frame rates that are also much higher action or motion, and the more time you spend with those, the more time you're focusing on those minute shifts? I play virtually nothing that requires that kind of reflexes. The ys series is about it, but I don't know what fps they're set to, and going between ys 8 and anything else on ps4 was never jarring.

That quote is catching lots of heat, and I can see why he made it. It's ok to be frustrated about games being 30 fps in the year two thousand and twenty, and maybe it is hyperbole, but just because you can't see the difference doesn't mean I can't either, or that I wouldn't greatly prefer 60+ FPS. I'm not sure saying that millions of other people don't care is a great argument. If you gave all those people one month of playing the same game at 30 FPS, and then one month of playing it at 60 FPS, I highly doubt they would all not care either way. My guess is that many would prefer 60 FPS. If all those people don't mind 30 FPS, it's not because they really don't care, but rather that they don't know any better (in my opinion). And I don't mean that in a condescending way, at all. I'll tell you that going from my PC to my console can be a jarring experience. Sure, I can get used to it, but for games like first person shooters, it kind of sucks. With all that being said, and initially feeling like 30 FPS for the games shown was a deal breaker, I'm actually pretty hyped after seeing the SSD presentation as mentioned above.

I'll respond similarly to what I said to the above comment. I'm not disputing the value of higher frame rates. However, it's not something that is personally relevant, and I don't feel a need to try and force myself to be stuck in that same requirement, especially when it seems to get so many people on era so bent out of shape. If 30 fps allows the dev to accomplish their vision, then it works for me.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Bch5wKn.png

100% crop

look at the artifacts on and all around aloy
I mean that part in whole occupies less than 1/16th of the screen, and the edges like her arm and hairs (which are using transparent textures) are absolutely tiny. Even at 4K there will be information that's not present to accurately render them.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that simple. If a game is bottlenecked by the CPU, dropping the resolution won't increase the framerate. You can't have a blanket 1440p/60fps or 4K/30fps option.
With these CPUs we're not going get bottlenecked by the CPU (to hit 60) for some time now...especially not an early game like this which has been in development from before the specs were even finalised and was built off an engine built around minimising the drawbacks of having a weak CPU.

Basically I doubt that this CPU cannot push more than 30-40FPS and hence bottleneck the game's framerate even at a lower resolution.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
I mean that part in whole occupies less than 1/16th of the screen, and the edges like her arm and hairs (which are using transparent textures) are absolutely tiny. Even at 4K there will be information that's not present to accurately render them.
The entire image is like that. I just cropped it to aloy because she's the player character and she's in the foreground so it isn't just a distance thing.

E3ml74F.jpg

7djZ0fj.png

Edit if you mean 1/16th of an actual display I think I get what you mean. I've never seen 4k in person.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope there's some ray traced games at the PC Games show to add to Dictator's video

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The entire image is like that. I just cropped it to aloy because she's the player character and she's in the foreground so it isn't just a distance thing.

E3ml74F.jpg

7djZ0fj.png

Edit if you mean 1/16th of an actual display I think I get what you mean. I've never seen 4k in person.
I meant that whole model of Aloy and the horse etc is taking 1/16 of the actual screen...and it applies to other parts as well.

4K still has a finite amount of information available to it, and edges that small will not have enough information available to them to resolve in full detail. Additionally the AA won't work correctly on edges that small because its effectiveness is directly dependant on the amount of information available...the more pixel it has to work with for an edge the better it can resolve that edge.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

I think have that confused with what you quoted.....

People were screaming from the mountaintops on this board demanding 4k60 next-gen endlessly so I'm surprised there isnt more backlash. This place is weird.

I dont know who, but most folks in the PS5 tech thread were not screaming this. Most were shocked at native. I know some were expecting 1440p/30 upscaled.

I mostly see 4K/60 or bust from certain folks.

There's probably no backlash because the games just looked so damn good. And Ratchet n Clank being basically a demo of what the SSD could do. Seeing that kinda puts 4K/60 on the back burner

Last edited:

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
I think certain games will always target 30fps, no matter how powerful hardware gets. Even in 10 years time.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
I suspect the price(s) will be announced the minute they're ready to start taking pre-orders, and that they won't open pre-orders until they get a picture of how well production is going. My question would be how do they judge how many of each they should produce? Would they use pre-orders to influence that?

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
I suspect the price(s) will be announced the minute they're ready to start taking pre-orders, and that they won't open pre-orders until they get a picture of how well production is going. My question would be how do they judge how many of each they should produce? Would they use pre-orders to influence that?
I think they're going to assume they'll sell everything they make in 2020.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
I think they're going to assume they'll sell everything they make in 2020.

Yeah, I'm sure they will, just feels like if they judge it wrong could wind up with lots of pissed off customers who can't get the version they wanted. Especially if one ends up a lot less popular than the other. Maybe they have more production capacity than assumed.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, I'm sure they will, just feels like if they judge it wrong could wind up with lots of pissed off customers who can't get the version they wanted. Especially if one ends up a lot less popular than the other. Maybe they have more production capacity than assumed.
Oh definitely, I still don't know which one I want.

I rarely buy physical games anymore, but I like the option, but I prefer the look of the Digital Edition, and if it's a decent amount cheaper...

If they're identical apart from the drive, the production might be identical right up until the end, I do think they'll use pre-order data for that.

AGE2019

May 5, 2019
Solid show for the PS5.
Ratchet and Clank in particular looked great. CGI level graphics.

Not sure why anyone would want reconstruction over native 4K. Guess some of you like the extra blurriness and artifacts during action sequences. You can't have higher detailed 4K textures if your game runs at 1440P. I would much prefer a 4K variable resolution over any reconstruction. With VRR TV's becoming the high end and mid grade standard for TV's these consoles should be able to run 60FPS with FPS drops that will be almost unnoticeable and still much smoother than even a perfect 30FPS.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Great video and a great way to watch the conference if you haven't already (and don't care about the talking heads).

Kinda wished they'd spliced in the higher quality trailers over the other lower quality ones but guess that might have added to the confusion

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Oh, I'm really pissed off that Ratchet isn't 60fps. I thought that was going to be a lock for next gen Ratchet. Yes the raytracing and particle effects etc are really cool but I'd take 60fps over them any day of the week for the game. The PS2 games were 60fps.

Still my most anticipated PS5 exclusive, but.. yeah.. not impressed by that decision tbh.

Edit: wonder if there will be an unlocked framerate option that makes use of VRR at least.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not angry at all. But i'm going to go ahead and point out ridiculous comparisons as ridiculous.

i'm just comparing the visual phenomenon. the artifacts in the horizon screens look like what you get with subnative handheld games which isn't what i was expecting when i first opened them.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe ps5 is actually a switch like console and the hardware is just the box it comes in!

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
I meant that whole model of Aloy and the horse etc is taking 1/16 of the actual screen...and it applies to other parts as well.

4K still has a finite amount of information available to it, and edges that small will not have enough information available to them to resolve in full detail. Additionally the AA won't work correctly on edges that small because its effectiveness is directly dependant on the amount of information available...the more pixel it has to work with for an edge the better it can resolve that edge.
Thank you. I've never seen 4k displays in person so I forgot to consider the pixel density.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
Thing is, if the PS4 can push a game that looks as good as Horizon 2 at native 4K30 just IMAGINE how good it will be where they fall back to reconstruction techniques.

This is how I thought it would go. 4K at the start, then reconstruction will be used more and more as we get further into the generation for better and better graphics.
That's my guess too. 4k games at first because it's easier for devs and then reconstruction further into the generation as developers become more familiar with the hardware.
But honestly I don't really know...

dabri

Nov 2, 2017