• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This was a great watch all the way through. The most surprising thing to me was how choppy RE8 was.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
No game should be running at 30fps. There's no excuse.
32Ra4KW.gif

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
For those of you saying 4k is a waste - why? I understand if your point of view is you would rather have 60fps. Fair enough! But some of you seem to be saying they would "rather them use the power for other stuff". I do not get this. 4K is literally more pixels with more detail in the image. Textures are sharper, particle effects are more pronounced, pixel based renderings are more accurate, etc. Its not like 4k is just "less jaggies".

ephexia

Feb 23, 2018
For those of you saying 4k is a waste - why? I understand if your point of view is you would rather have 60fps. Fair enough! But some of you seem to be saying they would "rather them use the power for other stuff". I do not get this. 4K is literally more pixels with more detail in the image. Textures are sharper, particle effects are more pronounced, pixel based renderings are more accurate, etc. Its not like 4k is just "less jaggies".

Did you see the DF video where Richard compared Control @ 4K native vs 1440p with DLSS?

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
People were screaming from the mountaintops on this board demanding 4k60 next-gen endlessly so I'm surprised there isnt more backlash. This place is weird.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
People were screaming from the mountaintops on this board demanding 4k60 next-gen endlessly so I'm surprised there isnt more backlash. This place is weird.

it was always a pipe dream based on the specs that we've known for a while.

4k60 is happening and will happen but it'll not be the standard. Anyone who was expecting it for Horizon was nuts.

Personally I hope more devs use a 1440p base and use the same upscaling solution as PS4 Pro, or at least give the option for it for high frame rate modes.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Because modern upscaling techniques have gotten so good that you wouldn't notice it's not native 4K. You'd still get a sharp image while developers get back more resources they could use towards parts of the game you'd actually notice.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
it was always a pipe dream based on the specs that we've known for a while.

4k60 is happening and will happen but it'll not be the standard. Anyone who was expecting it for Horizon was nuts.

Personally I hope more devs use a 1440p base and use the same upscaling solution as PS4 Pro, or at least give the option for it for high frame rate modes.
I'm def curious to see it sounds Sony is looking for native 4k 30 in first part games, curious to know if there will be 1440p 60fps performance modes as well.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Because modern upscaling techniques have gotten so good that you wouldn't notice it's not native 4K. You'd still get a sharp image while developers get back more resources they could use towards parts of the game you'd actually notice.

Modern upscalers do a good job with resolution. I disagree they do as good a job with detail. A checkerboarded image is not equivalent to a true 4k image, its just much better than the checkerboard native image.

At the end of the day im asking what you actually want them to use the 'extra power' for if not resolution. Detail is textures and resolution. Particle effects are improved through resolution. Motion blue and SSR are improved through resolution. I just dont see what would be a worthwhile tradeoff. Perhaps more involved raytracing would be worth it, I could see a 1440p checkboard raytraced image look better. But even then remember resolution impacts every image everywhere, whereas raytraced shadows are a nice feature that only show up in some scenes noticeably.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
4k is disappointing but I guess you need to sell some 4k tvs and/or make the next Gen jump easily apparent to the average person ie 4k vs FHD.

Hopefully they offer a supersampling mode down to 1080p.

Nov 18, 2018
60fps should be standard next gen. There is no excuse for any of the new systems to not hit locked 60fps due to the new specs. If Red Dead Redemption 2 can hit Native 4K and steady 30fps on a Xbox One X with 6tflops, weaker GPU and CPU, are you telling me these new consoles like the PS5 can't at least do a solid 60fps and 4K?

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
But the Horizon and R&C insane IQ looks reasonable with native 4K + probably some type of awesome temporal AA.
You're in for a surprise.

The entire lifespan of PS4 Pro was pretty much 1440p upscaled to 4k only.
No it wasn't.

It's only on consoles where developers gimp their settings to low/medium, give us poor FoV and sub 30fps just so we can run games at native 4K or close to it.
Except there's several console games shown that are hitting native 4K without doing those things.

Also, "only on consoles"? Literally no PC user has ever reduced other settings just to run at a higher resolution?

I was wishfully thinking the new consoles were going to give me PC level graphics at high frames in an environment I prefer (sitting on a couch, with a controller, trophies / achievements, install and play without tinkering).
They are and will give you PC-level graphics at high framerates. Just not at the level of a high-end PC that costs three times as much as the console. Which would basically require actual magic, so if you were expecting that....

Do they have better quality files than YouTube 4K? Otherwise I don't know how they can say for sure that Horizon is native 4K.
There have been direct-feed 4K screenshots released, they're in the thread. The game is either native 4K, or using a new form of reconstruction that has none of the artifacts or blur of previous methods (including DLSS).

Did you see the DF video where Richard compared Control @ 4K native vs 1440p with DLSS?
Yes. DLSS has artifacts and motion ghosting like other reconstruction methods. They're all good choices in particular contexts, but native rendering isn't totally obsolete.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017

This right here is so hyperbolic... It's ridiculous. I can't even notice the difference between 30 and 60 fps unless the game is dipping into slideshow territory. Alternating between a 60fps game and a 30 fps game makes no difference to me, and to millions of other players.

Acting like there is no excuse for a game being 30fps is patently ridiculous. You just don't like it.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are and will give you PC-level graphics at high framerates. Just not at the level of a high-end PC that costs three times as much as the console. Which would basically require actual magic, so if you were expecting that....

I should have been clearer - my wish was for games to be at High (+) PC settings at 60 (+) FPS, instead of what seems to be Medium (+/-) PC settings at 30 (+) FPS, and using current techniques to make the image look like 4K to the average eye.

With that being said, I am watching this video where a developer discusses Mark Cerny's presentation on the SSD, and I'm rethinking everything about next gen. It's really fascinating so far, and very eye opening. Especially after watching the Ratchet and Clank reveal. I take back what I said about there not being enough to justify "the biggest generational leap" statement yesterday.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This right here is so hyperbolic... It's ridiculous. I can't even notice the difference between 30 and 60 fps unless the game is dipping into slideshow territory. Alternating between a 60fps game and a 30 fps game makes no difference to me, and to millions of other players.

Acting like there is no excuse for a game being 30fps is patently ridiculous. You just don't like it.
I agree with you that 30fps is fine but how on earth do you not notice the difference? As a kid noticed the difference between 30 and 60 before I even knew what frame rate was. I remember playing Smash and F-Zero and thinking it was so much smoother than other games I was playing at the time

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That quote is catching lots of heat, and I can see why he made it. It's ok to be frustrated about games being 30 fps in the year two thousand and twenty, and maybe it is hyperbole, but just because you can't see the difference doesn't mean I can't either, or that I wouldn't greatly prefer 60+ FPS. I'm not sure saying that millions of other people don't care is a great argument. If you gave all those people one month of playing the same game at 30 FPS, and then one month of playing it at 60 FPS, I highly doubt they would all not care either way. My guess is that many would prefer 60 FPS. If all those people don't mind 30 FPS, it's not because they really don't care, but rather that they don't know any better (in my opinion). And I don't mean that in a condescending way, at all. I'll tell you that going from my PC to my console can be a jarring experience. Sure, I can get used to it, but for games like first person shooters, it kind of sucks. With all that being said, and initially feeling like 30 FPS for the games shown was a deal breaker, I'm actually pretty hyped after seeing the SSD presentation as mentioned above.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018

oh god, you know I could show you gears of war running at 4K and gears 5 running at 1080p and gears five would look a hell of a lot better. Graphics isn't just resolution, far from it

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
I should have been clearer - my wish was for games to be at High (+) PC settings at 60 (+) FPS, instead of what seems to be Medium (+/-) PC settings at 30 (+) FPS, and using current techniques to make the image look like 4K to the average eye.
You were quite clear, actually. My twofold response evidently wasn't, so here it is again, more exactly: there are going to be high/native 4K/60fps console games exactly like you're asking for. Not all of them will hit this mark, but that's because you're only buying a $500 machine. If your wish was was to have everything nearly maxed out on every game like you'd spent $1500 on a PC...then it was the unreasonable wish at fault for your disappointment, not the machinery. You can't budget for a 2060 and expect 2080Ti performance.

sugarmonkey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You were quite clear, actually. My twofold response evidently wasn't, so here it is again, more exactly: there are going to be high/native 4K/60fps console games exactly like you're asking for. Not all of them will hit this mark, but that's because you're only buying a $500 machine. If your wish was was to have everything nearly maxed out on every game like you'd spent $1500 on a PC...then it was the unreasonable wish at fault for your disappointment, not the machinery. You can't budget for a 2060 and expect 2080Ti performance.

Wait, so in clarifying that I was hoping for High+ (not Ultra) instead of Medium (+/-) PC comparative settings, you are saying I still don't understand that a next gen console isn't going to provide 2080Ti level graphics? I'm confused how you got to that specifically. Again, that's not what I meant, and I clarified. It wasn't meant as an attack on what you said, nor a slight to your knowledge. I do in fact understand what you are saying. Again, I was initially disappointed by what was shown (which looks great) at a supposed 30 FPS, and was hoping for general, across the board (not all) upgrades in graphics, targeting 60 fps. Maybe I'm just tired and should go to bed.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I think the viability of reconstruction techniques varies massively by the quality of the display being used. I only noticed reconstruction artefacts and TAA ghosting after getting an OLED, for example, as the inherent motion blur in LCDs hid it before.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

More like a small group of delusional people were screaming and the vast majority explaining to them again and again each generation that the focus will still lie on 30fps. It's a deliberate design choice.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
First 10 minutes is kind of boring talking about the same 1080 point, we know why its 1080 p like please move on

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Devs can prioritise:

Resolution over frame rate.
LOD over frame rate.
Ray tracing over frame rate.
Game world size over frame rate.

There's plenty of reasons why games can and will run at 30fps, what you mean is you don't want them to. That's fair enough but implying that every dev should prioritise fps over everything as if 30fps and a better looking game is something to apologise for is crazy.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
So is it looking more and more like a pipe dream that AMD have a dlss 2.0 alternative embedded in the consoles?

Because it would certainly be a bullet point I'd be shouting from the rooftops if there was any such thing. Yet nothing is yet to be mentioned

Maybe there's a embargo in place until rdna2 is announced?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
You know, after watching this I realized that the ps5 design is growing on me. I still prefer the series x but not by such a wide margin anymore.
Reminds me of the DualSense reveal. The first lot of pages were very divisive but then a lot of people started saying that after a while the design grew on them. I'm honestly expecting the same with this as it's such a different design from both what people are used to and were expecting.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Dissapointed with native 4k targets, and lack of 60fps. Particularly Ratchet would benefit from going 1440-1620p plus reconstruction and 60fps. All those sparks and particles would look insane at 60fps. I recently just played some Uncharted 4 and its 1440p res looks insanely crisp, add some reconstruction and there is no need for native 4k, same witch ratchet 2016.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
60fps should be standard next gen. There is no excuse for any of the new systems to not hit locked 60fps due to the new specs. If Red Dead Redemption 2 can hit Native 4K and steady 30fps on a Xbox One X with 6tflops, weaker GPU and CPU, are you telling me these new consoles like the PS5 can't at least do a solid 60fps and 4K?

Comparing the industry at large to Rockstar seems weird. Yes its not easy to get 4k60 even if you have a strong PC. Its demanding af and games will only get better looking and more demanding.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Comparing the industry at large to Rockstar seems weird. Yes its not easy to get 4k60 even if you have a strong PC. Its demanding af and games will only get better looking and more demanding.

I don't think many people are demanding 4K/60 on the new consoles, but a 60FPS should at least be an option, most people would be happy for 1080 or 1440 on consoles.