• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Richard mentions the FE is quiet which is great compared to the Nvidia reference designs ive had in the past.

Captain EZ8

Oct 30, 2017
Probably the biggest thing I learned from watching this video is that the RTX I/O or Direct Storage feature is not exclusive to the new Ampere 3000 cards. They mention that in the Nvidia blog post about the feature that it will work on Turing cards as well so hopefully that means it will work on pcie 3 unless it only works with pcie 4 ssd. I don't know.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Probably the biggest thing I learned from watching this video is that the RTX I/O or Direct Storage feature is not exclusive to the new Ampere 3000 cards. They mention that in the Nvidia blog post about the feature that it will work on Turing cards as well so hopefully that means it will work on pcie 3 unless it only works with pcie 4 ssd. I don't know.

isnt pcie 4.0 dependant on your cpu?

I have a nvme mp600 that performed at pcie 3.0 with a 2700x but when I installed my 3900x it instantly switched to 4.0

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
User Banned (1 month): platform warring, multiple prior bans for platform warring
Alex is a proper barely suppressed PCmasterracer lol

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I want to see what the new cards can do with all that power for AI work compared to consoles. I think the 3080 has something like the equivalent of ~10x the tensor TOPs performance of the Xbox for machine learning stuff like DLSS.

Captain EZ8

Oct 30, 2017
isnt pcie 4.0 dependant on your cpu?

I have a nvme mp600 that performed at pcie 3.0 with a 2700x but when I installed my 3900x it instantly switched to 4.0
Yeah I only mention it because I am on a intel cpu that only supports pcie 3.0 and since Turing cards only supports pcie 3.0 I was hopeful that maybe RTX I/O is exclusive to pcie 4.0.

Oct 29, 2017
The thing that I noticed about the new marble demo is that they toned down the inclusion of transparent materials such as glass. The new marble is solid so it looks more realistic because it doesn't have to calculate caustics from every new light source. That's probably an area where even Ampere would struggle to get rid of the noise. Last demo had no caustics at all, just a shadow, and that marble was very noisy already.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
The "RT Teraflops" comparison was the most interesting to me. A 4x improvement over the new consoles at launch for the 3080 before factoring in the 2-2.5x performance increase of DLSS means that performance in RT heavy titles like Cyberpunk are going to be in a completely different class.

The $300/$350 3060 when it launches could well be 4x faster than PS5 in the next generation version of the biggest game of the year at launch. That's unprecedented, we've never seen a gap like that between midrange PC GPUs and consoles at launch before.

Its going to be dependentant on a lot of factors and won't apply across the board but the mere fact that we can even be talking about that sort of gap at all is fascinating. Nvidia are just pushing so far ahead with RT and DLSS.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Its going to be dependentant on a lot of factors and won't apply across the board but the mere fact that we can even be talking about that sort of gap at all is fascinating. Nvidia are just pushing so far ahead with RT and DLSS.
The increase in performance over console is nice but expected while their complaints that games weren't adopting RT as fast as they would like and theorizing support would come with cheaper RT cards was off base imo. More RT was always only coming if next-gen consoles supported it decently. Even if RT performance on next-gen consoles won't be as good as a mid-range 2021 pc, consoles will still probably be the primary driver of RT support in games.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
The increase in performance over console is nice but expected while their complaints that games weren't adopting RT as fast as they would like and theorizing support would come with cheaper RT cards was off base imo. More RT was always only coming if next-gen consoles supported it decently. Even if RT performance on next-gen consoles won't be as good as a mid-range 2021 pc, consoles will still probably be the primary driver of RT support in games.

Its absolutely key that there is hardware RT on consoles to push adoption, agreed. Nvidia were never going to be able to do it all on their own.

I can't help but be disappointed that it would appear that AMD have taken a "bare minimum" approach to hardware RT but I'm really pleased it's there at all.

In some ways the fact it is so slow may prove beneficial, as it is going to force developers to really focus on optimising the performance of their implementations, which will only benefit PC hardware.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Alex is a proper barely suppressed PCmasterracer lol
lol he's great took that grinding gears jab like a pro

Lowkey video but Rich showed some glimpses of proper excitement, it really says it all that he's not jaded even though he's been doing this since forever, one of the best in the business, can't wait to see their 3080 review.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao at John's friendly little dig at Alex towards the end on consoles doing something better than PC.

See a colleague would never tease another colleague like that. That's true friendship right here.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just say that I really appreciate how they film these "talk overs." In a sea of live, overacted REACTION videos, they give us a video after they've already watched it, which allows them to present an informed take on it. It's not simply, "Oh, that looks cool. Look at that!"

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
The "RT Teraflops" comparison was the most interesting to me. A 4x improvement over the new consoles at launch for the 3080 before factoring in the 2-2.5x performance increase of DLSS means that performance in RT heavy titles like Cyberpunk are going to be in a completely different class.

The $300/$350 3060 when it launches could well be 4x faster than PS5 in the next generation version of the biggest game of the year at launch. That's unprecedented, we've never seen a gap like that between midrange PC GPUs and consoles at launch before.

That is rt performance. Most games wont do rt and those that do wont have very extensive use of it outside of the biggest title out there which would be 1 a year. I expect a 3060 at 350 and perform equivalent to a series x for most games out there. Still a great deal for a 350 card compared to launch consoles at 500. Assuming the prices are like that.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
That is rt performance. Most games wont do rt and those that do wont have very extensive use of it outside of the biggest title out there which would be 1 a year. I expect a 3060 at 350 and perform equivalent to a series x for most games out there. Still a great deal for a 350 card compared to launch consoles at 500. Assuming the prices are like that.

RT is going to be a lot more common than many realise, it is already starting to become a common feature in AAA games with Cyberpunk, COD and Watch Dogs all shipping with RT + DLSS. Cyberpunk is the biggest game of the year and has a full range of RT effects.

Oct 29, 2017
I'll just say that I really appreciate how they film these "talk overs." In a sea of live, overacted REACTION videos, they give us a video after they've already watched it, which allows them to present an informed take on it. It's not simply, "Oh, that looks cool. Look at that!"

Richard, John, and Alex have great chemistry. I've been watching a lot of DF lately. Even when I'm not specially interested in the subject matter of a particular video, they're just pleasant to listen to and I feel like I'm getting some substantive analysis and not just a bunch of hot air. Kudos to them.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
I think this reveal is the biggest proof of all that there will FOR SURE be a mid-gen refresh for the next-gen consoles. No way that in 3-4 years, Sony and Microsoft stay put where they are....

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017

For real. This may be the first ever "talk over" video I actually watched all the way through.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
RT is going to be a lot more common than many realise, it is already starting to become a common feature in AAA games with Cyberpunk, COD and Watch Dogs all shipping with RT + DLSS. Cyberpunk is the biggest game of the year and has a full range of RT effects.
I dont think cp77 was made entirely with rt in mind. Seems like something they added in later on. As i said rt being there does not mean it is very extensive and with only high power gpu can u get good perf. My point was against 3060 being significantly powerful than these consoles which i believe wont be so. Series x is said to be around 2080. 3070 is slightly better than a 2080ti, no way will 3060 be near 2080ti as that would affect 3070 sales. Its gonna be 2080 equivalent.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Loved how Richard was casually chatting with a 3080 behind him. What a baller 😎

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RT matters. It is the future and nearly all future games will have it.

Have you seen Cyberpunk with RTX on? Looks like a completely different game.

Raytracing + much more detailed worlds + no loading screens/pop ins + much more physics and interactions = next gen.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The prospect of true 4k60 in all games has me excited. Looking forward to the reviews.

I think this reveal is the biggest proof of all that there will FOR SURE be a mid-gen refresh for the next-gen consoles. No way that in 3-4 years, Sony and Microsoft stay put where they are....
Why? PC GPUs have always dwarfed their console counterparts. Besides, the next-gen consoles are powerful enough to deliver good visuals all round, unlike the PS4/Xbox One, which were severely underpowered.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

This is what I have been saying over the last 24 hours. These cards are insane. The jump is massive.

Raytracing + much more detailed worlds + no loading screens/pop ins + much more physics and interactions = next gen.

DLSS and RT will be the massive separator for pc next gen. I think pc is going to widen the gap further than ever before over the next few years!

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
Do we have any good sense of what on earth the new low-latency measure actually does aside from some fancy graph? Is it about how it works with monitors?

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
The prospect of true 4k60 in all games has me excited. Looking forward to the reviews.

Why? PC GPUs have always dwarfed their console counterparts. Besides, the next-gen consoles are powerful enough to deliver good visuals all round, unlike the PS4/Xbox One, which were severely underpowered.
The jump is massive and I don't buy Sony and Microsoft not making a mid-gen adjustment to close the parity...it may be niche like this gens mid refresh...but they have very little to lose by doing it...

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Isn't RT just going to become 'lighting' after a while. Like I'm expecting after a few years we won't even be able to toggle it off.

I just don't see it as a choice for long

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Isn't RT just going to become 'lighting' after a while. Like I'm expecting after a few years we won't even be able to toggle it off.

I just don't see it as a choice for long
Not during the new gen. Consoles aren't powerful enough to ditch rasterization completely. In 7 years or so? Very likely.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The jump is massive and I don't buy Sony and Microsoft not making a mid-gen adjustment to close the parity...it may be niche like this gens mid refresh...but they have very little to lose by doing it...
It's a big jump, sure, but the key reason why the PS4 Pro and X1X were released was the 4K hype. Now that these new consoles are targeting 4K right of the bat, I'm not sure what 'new feature' Sony/MS want to bring to us (besides a guaranteed 60FPS for all titles that is)

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

It doesn't look like a completely different game, but it certainly looks better. It still has the same limitations in geometric detail which make it look cross gen to me, although a beautiful looking cross gen game without a doubt.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

well, lets not get too ahead of ourselves here. nvidia is clearly fudging the tflops here, they said the actual performance was 2x that of 2080 which is an 11 tflops card at peak clocks. So the difference is only 2x despite the tflops difference being 3x.

The RT and Tensor Cores did get a massive 2-10x increase but as you can see in Richard's benchmarks that used games that had the latest RTX 3080 DLSS 2.0 drivers, you are only getting an average of 82% more performance. So that 2.7x increase in rt cores didnt improve performance by 170%, the 3x increase in teraflops didnt improve performance by 200% and the 10x increase in tensor cores didnt improve DLSS2.0 performance by 1000% like it should have if the perf per tflops was 1:1.

MS told DF that their GPU performed like a rtx 2080 in gears 5 benchmarks. So you are looking at 82% better framerates for Xbox games. That means a native 4k 30 fps game on the xsx will be native 4k 55 fps. thats really not that big of a jump and pretty much in line with what you would expect from PC cards.

if anything this proves, specs dont tell the story. tflops dont tell the full story. You have to look at benchmarks.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

I think AI in general will become a lot more common throughout next-gen as well, gaming or not. Being able to do stuff like ultra performance DLSS for 1440p > 8k will be insane, and potentially that sort of thing will eventually create more options for upsampling from even lower resolutions, allowing more and more demanding RT effects over time.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Even without RT or DLSS the new cards are blazing fast. DF tested a few games without either of those features, still got a 67-85% framerate improvement over a GTX 2080, which is basically what to expect out of PS5/XSX.

I also disagree that ray tracing will only be seen in the biggest titles, that's already not the case. Almost every game shown for PS5 uses Ray Tracing in some way - I mean, when it's in the hardware, why not use it? Heavy usage will definitely affect performance, but when it's easy to implement you might as well use it for reflections on like the player's weapon or something. Some games even went so far as to use ray tracing for part of a reflection, and standard screen-space reflections for the rest, so they could get some advantages from ray tracing without performance issues.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Even without RT or DLSS the new cards are blazing fast. DF tested a few games without either of those features, still got a 67-85% framerate improvement over a GTX 2080, which is basically what to expect out of PS5/XSX.

They only tested games hand-selected by Nvidia, so I would take those results with a grain of salt.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I guarantee there's a mid-gen refresh. Guarantee it. Bet they couple it with, hey you can get 4k and 60. Not a choice

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
They only tested games hand-selected by Nvidia, so I would take those results with a grain of salt.
But, they were normal games using various game engines and render systems, tested on DF's own hand-built systems by themselves at the parts they wanted to show. DF chose the games from a larger list. No need to take the results of a popular game lots of people play with a grain of salt. Borderlands 3, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Control, Battlefield 5, Doom Eternal, these all had huge speed boosts over the 2080 without using DLSS or ray tracing.

I mean, compare it to previous generational jumps - for normal games the 2080ti was 35% faster than a 1080ti on average, so even if these DF numbers are exaggerated a bit because of the chosen games, like maybe "only" 50% faster, the new card is going to stomp old cards and the new consoles.