• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
So are there any kinda gotchas when it comes to hooking up a VGA CRT to a modern desktop with a mini display port?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
It is really hard to find a decent CRT TV or monitor these days. I know it will never happen, but with all the Retro stuff people seem more interested in old consoles and old PC's that it would be great if a company would release new CRT's. I know it would be super niche if it happened but I would definitely buy one if it was of a good quality.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
FWIW, I think production video monitors offer TERRIBLE value for the money. I mean, go ahead if you have the cash, but you are most probably going to pay through the nose for a set with an ungodly amount of hours. And you may have to drive for a while to pick it up, since they are not exactly ubiquitous these days.

A good Trinitron TV in good shape (of which are plenty) with RGB inputs offer great display quality for console and low res gaming. Even a cheapy 26" Samsung CRT with a SCART connector will do just fine. Computer monitors are even easier to score. Both are excellent alternatives for their respective uses.

The thing about PVMs, BVMs and their NEC counterparts is that they became obsolete overnight with the advent of the HD era, unlike computer monitors. So companies replaced them in masse and there are barely any available units that are not beaten down to an inch of their deaths or in the hands of fans who will demand some real coin for them. I still want one, but I'm not ready to fork out €300-€500 for a display that may crap out on me at any given moment.

Jockel

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
Welp, there goes my last hope of ever getting an FW900 for a reasonable price :/
I honestly would have preferred if they didn't mention the model. It's like people checking out r/crtgaming for the first time and immediately only wanting a D24 or 20L5, driving the already ridiculous prices way up.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Welp, there goes my last hope of ever getting an FW900 for a reasonable price :/
I honestly would have preferred if they didn't mention the model. It's like people checking out r/crtgaming for the first time and immediately only wanting a D24 or 20L5, driving the already ridiculous prices way up.
Go for a cheaper LaCie or a Diamondtron Dell and laugh in the face of the dorks paying American healthcare-money for a banged up CRT display with a tube burned to cinders.

Jockel

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
Go for a cheaper LaCie or a Diamondtron Dell and laugh in the face of the dorks paying American healthcare-money for a banged up CRT display with a tube burned to cinders.
I already have a LaCie Blue IV, and did own a D24 that I since sold. Now I'm mostly using a 20F1E and got myself a 65" LG OLED C8 off the D24 money, lol.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Great video!

I'm still a bit sad that we've moved on from CRTs.

Every year around winter time I pop my FW900 back on my desk to do one or two playthroughs of Diablo 2 soley because it looks terrible on a modern screen.

Fatagnus

Dec 24, 2017
Just got a new LG 32GK650F 32" 144hz 1440p freesync Monitor.

This is as close to a crt (motion wise) as I've seen on a lcd monitor, and I have several for retro stuff.

If you're still on a 60hz monitor, definitely upgrade to 144hz as soon as financially possible.

And before you go out looking for for a crt monitor know what you are getting into, they can be a big pain in the ass, and if you want to get rid of it you usually have to pay someone to take it or recycle it.

I have a 17" Sony Multiscan 200sx that I use for Dreamcast and an old Voodoo3 system I refurbished. It's neat and all, but hooking up a modern system to it would just be kind of silly. Makes an interesting video nonetheless.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Just upgraded to a 144hz ips 1440p and I'm good. Like it's a huuuuge step up from a VA panel just for the colors. And then running doom at 142fps is nuts. It does have HDR but now I again have the conundrum of having to choose between gsync and HDR. Can't do both at the same time.

Same problem as my last monitor which I assumed this one would solve as it is freesync 2.

Didn't know gsync was display port only.

May end up swapping my 2070 for a 5700xt. Would rather have freesync and HDR than rtx.
HDMI is getting VRR on Nvidia .

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
While we're on the topic at hand, does anyone remember this?

john_Carmack_working.jpg

I can't even imagine how that would look in 1995.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It is really hard to find a decent CRT TV or monitor these days.

Lol I bought a super bright and crisp Viewsonic a90f in immaculate condition for $5 recently, it's insanely easy by watching Craigslist, Offerup, Letgo. It's not top end but it is way, way past decent. Also if you are willing to tolerate the heavy weight factor 27" - 36" Vega TVs with component and svid are free if you put even minimal effort in.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
A good Trinitron TV in good shape (of which are plenty) with RGB inputs offer great display quality for console and low res gaming. Even a cheapy 26" Samsung CRT with a SCART connector will do just fine. Computer monitors are even easier to score. Both are excellent alternatives for their respective uses.
I have a mid-low range 21" Trinitron (I used to play on a bottom range 14" as a kid) that I got from my parents and I only keep it for Sega Saturn's Virtua Cop 2. Being PAL and a model not capable of accepting 60 Hz signals (I think Dreamcast's 60Hz mode didn't work on it) can this realistically be used to connect a modern console or is this limited to playing PC games (which I hardly ever do)? It has SCART but I ignore if it even matters.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I think the PS3 could be hooked through SCART using a special cable. Maybe the Xbox 360, too. No idea about more modern systems.

CRT TVs are not good for PC gaming unless we are talking about old school arcade emulation, which requires some extra work.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
It's easy to forget but yes CRT was always better than the LCDs and plasmas at the time.

I loved my old Plasmas tbh the quality of the picture and colours on my Panasonic Plasma was stunning (I wished I never sold it) . I don't really agree with DF on this matter. I still have my old Philips Matchline 32 inch TV but just don't use it, not even for my classic consoles. I happier these days, with my 65 LG Oled with its HDR and lovely big screen and none of the issues of weight or size of the back of the unit. Like one got/gets with CRT.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
How would you go about connecting a PS4/X1 to a CRT?

I'd be quite interested to check out it for myself, if I can find one on the cheap and it's cables to connect the consoles aren't too expensive either.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

I'd be quite interested to check out it for myself, if I can find one on the cheap and it's cables to connect the consoles aren't too expensive either.

HDMI to VGA adapters.

Make sure to get a decent quality one and not something that's like 2$ on Amazon.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B&O sets may be even better than Sony PVM/BVM monitors on account of being in fantastic shape, generally speaking. They were "prestige" tvs for videophiles that never got a lot of play hours, come with a large number of inputs (I believe some really late models even had an VGA port) and the included speakers blew away those of any consumer-grade TV. A 4:3 B&O in good condition is terrific for retrogaming.

Bruh, I feel even worse for missing out now :'( It was immaculate !

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
I loved my old Plasmas tbh the quality of the picture and colours on my Panasonic Plasma was stunning (I wished I never sold it) . I don't really agree with DF on this matter. I still have my old Philips Matchline 32 inch TV but just don't use it, not even for my classic consoles. I happier these days, with my 65 LG Oled with its HDR and lovely big screen and none of the issues of weight or size of the back of the unit. Like one got/gets with CRT.
The DF video is about PC monitors though, and specifically about the high refresh rates and motion clarity you can get from them.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Can you explain those advantages so an idiot (me) could understand?

Doesn't need to rescale image for different resolutions, CRT's do not have a "native resolution", contrast levels are way better, blacks are fantastic, colour depth is great with 24-bit per pixel resolution, and likewise greyscale is superb, also doesn't need gamma correction. Response times are practically nonexistent, no motion artifacts/blur. Same with display lag.

Reading up on Microled, it should do waaaaay better on a lot of these (response time, display lag, blacks).

Oct 28, 2017
Weren't CRT marked as bad for eye health, compared to modern LCDs and OLEDs?

Because the coating on the CRT screens sometimes do not absorb all the radiations outside the visible spectrum, showering anyone in front with extremely minor doses repeatedly over a long period of time.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Does this introduce any noticeable lag? What is the price range of a "decent" one?

I don't think that it does but it really deppends on the adatper itself. It would be smaller then what you'd get on a console + TV anyway.

I've actually never hooked a console up to CRT myself so I'm not entirety sure if there are any other options.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
The thing I never liked about CRTs is that you really needed to find the perfect refresh rate to res ratio (or viceversa) in order to obtain the best possible image and avoid any fuzz.

So your monitor could be capable of outputting at 120 Hz at max res, but it probably looked a heck of a ton better at 1280 x 1024 @ 85 Hz. It's another quirk of the technology. Some high res monitors looked their best at lower resolutions.

Last edited:

A.M.

Community Resettler
Sony FW900... I've looked for one in junk shops, junk sales, pawn shops, thrift stores, etc. for... I don't even know how many years. As many 'amazing' and rare items I've found, they wouldn't hold a match against finding one.

Doubt I'll ever have the privilege of owning one. *sighs*

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Let me tell you about the NEC XM29.

I know somebody who got two mint units from the storage room of some video production house. One of them still wrapped. And for cheap, apparently.

That's mortgage payment money on resale.

A.M.

Community Resettler
Let me tell you about the NEC XM29.

I know somebody who got two mint units from the storage room of some video production house. One of them still wrapped. And for cheap, apparently.

That's mortgage payment money on resale.

I imagine the chances of winning the lottery are greater than finding one mint unit, let alone TWO—especially with one still wrapped.

They struck gold with that find.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017

some CRT HDTVs had HDMI support, I remember some CRT models from LG and Samsung around 2004 supported 720P/1080i and HDMI/component/vga

Tunned

Oct 30, 2017
Was in a charity shop recently and they had one of those Bang & Olufsen CRT TV's in there (in its "built in" stand), couldnt believe it, never seen one in them (most told me they dont take them as they take up too much space and hard to sell), looked at it, £150, thought no-one is going to pay that ....... then I saw a sold sticker on it. Fuck sake.
My family owned a B&O CRT up to 2009, and I remember my brother playing Uncharted 1 on it after I had completed it on a 60" Pioneer plasma, I was completely blown away how good it looked.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't need to rescale image for different resolutions, CRT's do not have a "native resolution", contrast levels are way better, blacks are fantastic, colour depth is great with 24-bit per pixel resolution, and likewise greyscale is superb, also doesn't need gamma correction. Response times are practically nonexistent, no motion artifacts/blur. Same with display lag.

Reading up on Microled, it should do waaaaay better on a lot of these (response time, display lag, blacks).
Thanks!

I bought a super nice OLED not too long ago and I love it but I'm aware of input lag at least. And I'm always terrified of burn in. Sometimes it ghosts so easily. D:

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Lost it when Richard described it as "... What is quickly becoming a fetish". This is the content I love DF for. Really looking forward to future features on CRTs.

Oct 25, 2017
China
me too but i believe new crt production is effectively banned under environmental nonsense, even if some company wanted too, they cant. since they use more power/more toxic materials/whatever than lcd...

The manufacturing plants were decommissioned and the equipment scrapped. I'm sure the engineers that really knew how to make a great CRT have also probably retired by now too. The used screens that are still out there are the only ones you'll ever get.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
The manufacturing plants were decommissioned and the equipment scrapped. I'm sure the engineers that really knew how to make a great CRT have also probably retired by now too. The used screens that are still out there are the only ones you'll ever get.
CRT displays are still being produced in limited quantities for mission critical applications and legacy systems of the kind you really don't want to fuck with.

Kind of like America's nuclear arsenal is still dependent on ancient computers that require a constant supply of floppy disks and drives.

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks!

I bought a super nice OLED not too long ago and I love it but I'm aware of input lag at least. And I'm always terrified of burn in. Sometimes it ghosts so easily. D:
Nah don't be too worried about burn in. Just use it. 2018+ are good for keeping burn in away.
I still don't use it for too much gaming though.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Too bad you don't get any 16:9/16:10 CRT monitor with VGA support anymore here in Germany. eBay and even it's newegg pendent is dead in regard. Only some no name 15-17inch CRT or old TV tubes with SCART only.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
The DF video is about PC monitors though, and specifically about the high refresh rates and motion clarity you can get from them.

I still have my Voodoo 3 Pentium 2 PC in the garage with Packerbell CRT (I do love to play Kingpin and Blood 2 on it every year or so) but I really wouldn't go back to that style of a setup. While the PC monitor is 14 inches, it weighs a ton and takes up a lot of room, really is a pain to move around.

I grew up in the era of CRT, but much rather the bigger pannels of today along with HDR support and so on

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
So i was reading up on that and it seems crt monitors are better technically than tv, but not specially great if you go for old cosoles accuracy cause they don't really look the same, with way more noticeable pixels and especially scanlines. I know lots of people are turned on by scanlines but it makes things darker and tv crt didn't have huge visible scanlines like those retroarch filters i think.

Now a small question. I'm a little confused by all those video output formats.
So it seems my integrated gpu (HD630) has a vga out. But i guess it's not that easy right ? I don't just need a cable adaptator to output an analog signal to a tv right ? Seems too easy.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, Plasma TV's are quicker than LED TV's ? Is that why whenever I see my friends shiny new 4K TV's I cant help but notice how much extra "smear" there is compared to my old arse 50" Plasma I still use ?

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I loved my old CRT monitors. I still remember during the 2000-2005 era how LCDs were taking over, and trying them and seeing just how god awful they were in comparison to my CRT. For games like Quake 3 or any other shooter on PC it was a no brainer to stick with CRTs. I think if you ask many competitive online players from that era you'll hear the same, it was a known no-no to use an LCD compared to the fluidity and quality you'd get off a CRT.

That changed due to high refresh rate monitors and just the general switchover to 16:9, but it took years. I still have my old monitors and I'd like to get them working again, maybe for some older consoles or just to plug my pc into once in a while. I'd have to find a good DP-mini to DVI converter though.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Older LCD was such a struggle.

I cringe whenever I see some poor soul fitting some ancient 4:3 display on a bartop to play classic arcade games.

No. Just no.

Oct 25, 2017
China
CRT displays are still being produced in limited quantities for mission critical applications and legacy systems of the kind you really don't want to fuck with.

Kind of like America's nuclear arsenal is still dependent on ancient computers that require a constant supply of floppy disks and drives.
Probably priced way out of the consumer market though if that's the case.

A.M.

Community Resettler
Older LCD was such a struggle.

I cringe whenever I see some poor soul fitting some ancient 4:3 display on a bartop to play classic arcade games.

No. Just no.

Investing in one back then was just... why? Like, I understand they took up less space, but aside for that, they were abysmal to work on.

Would honestly rather use the horrible blurry mess that were the early days of internet TV. 🤢
Hyperbole.