• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
This has me salivating, from the DF article

The final component in the triumvirate is an extension to DirectX - DirectStorage - a necessary upgrade bearing in mind that existing file I/O protocols are knocking on for 30 years old, and in their current form would require two Zen CPU cores simply to cover the overhead, which DirectStorage reduces to just one tenth of single core.

"Plus it has other benefits," enthuses Andrew Goossen. "It's less latent and it saves a ton of CPU. With the best competitive solution, we found doing decompression software to match the SSD rate would have consumed three Zen 2 CPU cores. When you add in the IO CPU overhead, that's another two cores. So the resulting workload would have completely consumed five Zen 2 CPU cores when now it only takes a tenth of a CPU core. So in other words, to equal the performance of a Series X at its full IO rate, you would need to build a PC with 13 Zen 2 cores. That's seven cores dedicated for the game: one for Windows and shell and five for the IO and decompression overhead."
It's going to be interesting to see if Sony has something to match this.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Did they mention how CPU cores will be used for the OS? Is it one core with hyper threading or just one core with one instruction and the second instruction is used for games?

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
There were a pair of Series X systems running all day long side by side at the test site. The air from the top was certainly warm but the machines didn't feel overly hot or anything. They're also insanely quiet.
That's good to hear (or, more accurately, not hear). I guess that's the benefit of having a large axial fan and a, more or less, straight air flow.

Feb 1, 2018
ObedientUnhealthyAiredale-size_restricted.gif

That's Apple-tier OCD elegant component arrangement

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Watching the video now, this thing looks so cool. It's making me want to buy one just purely for the neat new toy factor :P

Do they mention fan noise at any point? If this thing is XB1X-level silent then I think I'm there day one.

EDIT - Just saw John saying it's insanely quiet on the first page. RIP my wallet.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
That's Apple-tier OCD elegant component arrangement

It is smartly built. The aluminum plate I expect to be reduced in material for retail units. Seems excessive in the dummy unit.

I do find that the psu venting holes only being on the bottom strange though. 1X has holes on both sides to allow air to be pushed through and would have expected the same here.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I have 467 games currently installed on my Xbox One X.

Thankfully I'll still be able to use external drives to hook those games up to the Xbox series X.

Yeah, I am close to that. I have my "X" that has a 1TB HDD internal, a 1TB SSD and a 8TB HDD. Will transfer all content from the Internal X hdd to one of the two externals a week before release of the Series X so I can just plug those two into the system and have all my games ready to go. I wonder if MS will allow you to pre-patch games that will get patches to get the Series X improvements? They did do something like that right before the "X" came out and I remember having Gears of War 4 and Forza 7 "X" patched before the "X" came out. I hope they do that again.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Looks pretty damn slick and the specs are awesome. I still won't buy one but I'm happy to see it's a damn impressive machine.

I look forward to see how it does, hoping it does well and all you Xbox fans get your dream machine.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
That was very enjoyable to watch.

Also mad no one has made a size comparison picture of some Gamecubes stacked next to a Series X.

Xbox Series X 151mm x 151mm x 301mm
Gamecube 150mm × 161mm × 110 mm
Gameboy Player 150mm x 155.1mm x 57.3mm.
(according to a quick google search)

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
This all just looks SO impressive. It's a night and day difference to this current gen, where the consoles were outpaced by even midrange PC hardware pretty handily at launch, for not a wildly larger amount of money. If that Gears 5 tech demo is to be believed then, in that game at least, this thing is going toe to toe with the highest end GPUs available right now - if it's breaking 100 FPS in Gears 5 on ultra settings at 4k then that is absolutely staggering.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This all just looks SO impressive. It's a night and day difference to this current gen, where the consoles were outpaced by even midrange PC hardware pretty handily at launch, for not a wildly larger amount of money. If that Gears 5 tech demo is to be believed then, in that game at least, this thing is going toe to toe with the highest end GPUs available right now - if it's breaking 100 FPS in Gears 5 on ultra settings at 4k then that is absolutely staggering.
While I agree on the general hype we shouldn't forget that it's not out yet, who knows what will be out in the PC space in 8 months.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If, then it will be the same price range. There is no way XSX is $399 and if PS5 is $399, then it has lower specs. No other way possible if both don't sell both consoles at a steep loss, talking about the general specs, mind.
When it comes to SSD, MS made a lot of customizations that all sound similar to what Sony was hinting at. I don't see a PS5 SSD much better than what MS built. I especially also don't see how much better it will do in "real life". But we will see, I guess. MS' move is a very strong one, a convincing one, without compromize.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
If, then it will be the same price range. There is no way XSX is $399 and if PS5 is $399, then it has lower specs. No other way possible if both don't sell both consoles at a steep loss, talking about the general specs, mind.
When it comes to SSD, MS made a lot of customizations that all sound similar to what Sony was hinting at. I don't see a PS5 SSD much better than what MS built. I especially also don't see how much better it will do in "real life". But we will see, I guess. MS' move is a very strong one, a convincing one, without compromize.
I've always assumed that Sony will have the stronger box but this Xbox unveil have me thinking the difference will be so small that any difference seen in performance on multiplats will be the result of the port job rather than the boxes.

I'm going day 1 on the Xbox no matter what Sony shows now, the improved BC, Game Pass, PC synchronization, plus 12TF hardware which is insanely quiet have me sitting here with the wallet open waiting for a preorder button to press!

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Silent, improved BC noatter what and improvements to the way input data is communicated with the console to reduce lag makes this basically a day one purchase for me.

And since it's such a direct upgrade without breaking compability, I can just sell my One X to lower the entry price point too.

Onlx thing missing for me is optional gyro in the controllers.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Very cool presentation of the console, this early on.

Match if not surpass. They seem most proud of their SSD to say it has raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs, and internally are calling their console "the fastest" likely due to the SSD. Rumours place it at 5GB/s.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Very cool presentation of the console, this early on.

Match if not surpass. They seem most proud of their SSD to say it has raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs, and internally are calling their console "the fastest" likely due to the SSD. Rumours place it at 5GB/s.
The speed of the SSD isn't what was being talked about there, not specifically, it's the fact that they managed to free up a shit ton of CPU resources in the decompression process and I/O overhead, going from it taking multiple cores to just 1/10th of a single core.

Last edited:

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Are the analog sticks the same tension? Could just be the way the pictures look, but the analogs look shorter.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I've always assumed that Sony will have the stronger box but this Xbox unveil have me thinking the difference will be so small that any difference seen in performance on multiplats will be the result of the port job rather than the boxes.

I'm going day 1 on the Xbox no matter what Sony shows now, the improved BC, Game Pass, PC synchronization, plus 12TF hardware which is insanely quiet have me sitting here with the wallet open waiting for a preorder button to press!

I think you'll probably find one will have a slightly stronger CPU and one will have a slightly stronger GPU, and both will have slightly different memory structures/bw. I imagine there's a difference between the i/o rates but I doubt any will be too dramatic given MS's numbers. They'll both throw up chaff with acronyms and impressive titles which 9999/10000 people who aren't game developers won't understand but that won't stop people saying that one is far more powerful than the other.