• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
thanks for the insight. Any word on base storage?? Really concerned 1tb is insufficient for modern games. It looks like those external SSD's are going to cost a lot and it seems you can't run games from them?? If you can is it going to be the same speed as the internal SSD??

this is my biggest concern. If the consoles is like 499 or higher and storage is 200.00 this thing can be way to expensive. I'm the type of gamer who wants 15 games at the ready and not constantly downloading and moving stuff to play!!!
The external SSD cards can run games.

it's external USB drives that won't.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna be so damn torn picking between this or a PS5 at launch.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Digital Foundry will be the good guys "this week" for the Xbox Stan's on Twitter now 😂

Great content as usual Dark1x

Does Richard have Twitter?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry's in-depth analysis of the Xbox Series X: "It is two Gamecubes stuck together, without the duct tape."

Okay, got it. That's all I needed to know. ;)

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The external SSD cards can run games.

it's external USB drives that won't.

great so looks like I'm going to spend a grand to keep Most of my games at the ready. I don't see any way that Sony is going to exceed this technical hurdle so I'd expect 1tb from them as well as some way to use an external ssd that is t proprietary I hope.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
What happened to the fourth guy that used to do DF videos? I honestly cant remember his name but I liked his content.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
curious that RDNA2 doesn't seem to have split FP/INT blocks like Nvidia does (unless I'm reading it wrong). that could impact some things in the PC space

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
System sounds great. Looks like a piece of shite mind you, hope Sony bring something more slick out. Right now as it stands my Xbox One X is stood upright i don't have room for this box if it straight replaces the one x.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So the HDD is for additional back-up, and you'll have to move games to and from it? I hope the transfer will happen quickly.

Can we assume the PS5 is going to have a similar technology regarding expandable SSD? Weren't there patents like this?

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Fuckkkk me, I'm watching this as I write this comment... And boy, am I expanded.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
loooks really good! Reminds me of the new mac pro with how packed everything looks!
Curious if this will launch this year or be delayed until next becasue of covid-19 or maybe a staggered launch?
Seeing as there are no "only on" series X games in the works I could see a staggered launch workout.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Does the Xbox controller have a headphone jack to route game sound through similar to ps? Its one of my fav late night gaming features.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dark1x do you know how the resume function works?
I was thinking that the ram data is dumped onto the ssd and after that loading the other games ram data from the ssd back into the ram.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So the HDD is for additional back-up, and you'll have to move games to and from it? I hope the transfer will happen quickly.

Can we assume the PS5 is going to have a similar technology regarding expandable SSD? Weren't there patents like this?
Transfer speed would be limited by the HDD and the USB connector. Depending on the game you'll definitely need to wait a little bit, but it should be faster than redownloading the game.
Tom? He produces stuff all the time. Just put a video up a day or two ago, in fact.
Yeah, I've actually been surprised how many recent videos are him, he's really been putting in some work.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dark1x do you know how the resume function works?
I was thinking that the ram data is dumped onto the ssd and after that loading the other games ram data from the ssd back into the ram.
I believe that's how it works. Something along those lines. How many games you can suspend depends on the size of the game, it seems. It was suggested that you could do maybe 5-6 Series X games but more with BC titles.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it's actually way better than the DS4 output too as it has a decent amp, great audio quality (doesn't use bluetooth like DS4) and supports Dolby Atmos for Headphones too.

This is all I needed to hear. I've been holding off playing all these gamepass games on my og Xbox one , so I can't wait to try all these amazing games enhanced on series x.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
with the SSD having higher throughput than desktop SSDs, what's that gonna mean for PCs? 7GB/s nvmes with heatsinks will be mandatory?

SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-HTSK-1TB-300x300@2x.jpg

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Beautiful inside!

I can definitely imagine people from Sony watching this video.

Shozuki

Mar 5, 2018
I kinda like that it seems to be just a refinement of what we're used to and I think the system looks pretty nice to boot.

One thing I am curious about is how these new games will run on PC.. Will all games need to stored on a specific grade of NVMe drive to function? Definitely holding off my next PC build for a bit longer so I know what I need...

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
with the SSD having higher throughput than desktop SSDs, what's that gonna mean for PCs? 7GB/s nvmes with heatsinks will be mandatory?

That's more a talking point about why they have the proprietary ssd coming. They can make sure it has the proper performance compared to a low cost solution that doesn't have the same speeds for cheaper prices. i.e. QLC nvme drives that barely stay at 1.5GB/s r/w.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I want one! Thanks for the video.

I don't like the form factor too much, as it's not compatible with my tv lowboard. But I'll take it if the system is silent :)

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017

it doesn't seem like the Series X has appreciably faster loading times than a decent SSD-equipped PC going by that video they put out, so I doubt much'll change when it comes to PC SSD requirements.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I believe that's how it works. Something along those lines. How many games you can suspend depends on the size of the game, it seems. It was suggested that you could do maybe 5-6 Series X games but more with BC titles.

So if 100gb is reserved for all the usual stuff this will probably be another 100gb or so?

Hope we get 1.5tb at least.