• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Video sponsored by Barclays. Continuing our developer-focused series made by possible by support from Barclays, Digital Foundry returns to the brilliant Moon Studios, to talk to co-founder and lead engineer Gennadiy Korol. Topics covered include the challenges in delivering Ori and the Will of the Wisps to the next generation Xbox Series X and Series S consoles in the incredibly challenging environment brought about by Covid-19.

The first DF Devs video was fantastic; really looking forward to watching this!

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you, will watch this tonight!

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
They have a fascinating development team in that they all work remotely.

Will watch this later.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Love this, the next gen upgrade for Ori is amazing. One of the best looking games of all time, full stop.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I just watched the whole thing, this was a fantastic interview that gives a very in-depth look at the development.

Inti

Nov 20, 2017
The best game I've played on series x.
Truly incredible.

Honestly. I didn't play this at launch simply because I was just not in the mood and it didn't hook me immediately, having played and loved the first one. But man, I am playing this now, two thirds down and man, what an incredible game. I know the game was praised, but this is one of the best games I have played in a while. The art, the music, the gameplay and the emotion the story and small storylines from sidequests delivers is fascinating. I am truly having an incredible time playing this game.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
As a disclaimer i was a tiny bit involved around the edges here but its incredible to see how Moon squeeze every ounce on power out of the systems.

The sheer focus and work put in to optimisation is really eye opening, and the creative solutions and layers methods they have used are just so interesting.

And as a XSX and LG E9 owner I'm super happy a dev is putting in work to make my jump back into Ori an amazing experiance.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Such a great game
And another great vid from the DF people

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't finish the video yet, but this is some good shit, the dev, Gennady Korol is a damn good communicator.

Dultimate

Oct 27, 2017
That was a great watch. Good questions by Dark1x. For this game the dev seemed impressed with the X, or at least not limited by it.

Those guys are on the same page as far as 120hz. They're big fans. Make me feel like I'm missing out by not recognizing or appreciating it.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Very interesting interview, and agreed he's a great communicator. I particularly found this part interesting, in how he talks about how going to 120fps is not as simple as assuming 'Ok, we need double the performance', as when thinking that way people are sometimes confused why a game can run at 4k 60 has to drop down to lower than 1440p to reach 120.

Reason being is that when going to 4k, you can still keep many of your effects, such as depth of field, rendering at a lower res as there's no point to have those rendered at 4k when they're inherently blurry, but you can't make those same cutbacks with framerate or it's obvious (such as AC:Valhalla's 30fps flag animations).

edit: He's talking about the 120fps mode on the Series S in particular here.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this was super professional! Good stuff all around, and nice hearing details about what is currently the best IP and game on the Xbox platform.

Finished the map 100% after the XSX purchase. It's an insanely pretty game now, zero stutter and an image quality that beats exactly everything out right now.

WRC

Oct 28, 2017
Good interview wroth watching, nice job. Pretty exited to see what the studio goes next.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked this video and cements what my thoughts have been about 60 and 120fps where it is just the feel, but how the higher frame rate makes the image cleaner/crisper and just overly much better than lower frame rate.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Fantastic video. It is great being able to listen to a developer talk about how everything is so personal and it was (120fps) an achievement that he and several other developers in their company wanted to achieve.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I really liked this video and cements what my thoughts have been about 60 and 120fps where it is just the feel, but how the higher frame rate makes the image cleaner/crisper and just overly much better than lower frame rate.

as long we use flat panels the drive towards higher is necessary to match aspect of crt fidelity we still can't offer. VR demands it. The push for 4k has had indirect benefits cause if you sacrifice that you can have 1440p 100fps plus.

Besides supersampling options for fps, syncing the image and seeing good engines has never been better.

the thirst for 440hz is real until storbing and pixel persistence are decent standards at high refreshrates. which isnt likely in my life despite the evolution towards it.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
When he was explaining what and how they would lower the resolution of several of the layers because of DOF and how you wouldn't be able to tell, I said to myself "hmm VRS would make this a lot easier and more straight forward" only to hear him say towards the end that VRS is one of those features he is looking forward to as their layering system looks like a poor man's version of VRS lol.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Wish those kind of videos would be available as audio only somewhere since I don't have the time to sit and watch a 1:15h youtube video about stuff like this.

And afaik this isn't possible via youtube app on the phone (yt audio only - only if you have a premium sub or whatever?).

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
What are people thoughts using on their Series X? 6K@60fps or 4K@120fps?

I was toggling a bit back and forth yesterday for fun. 6K seems to bring up a little extra detail and I felt it's not the most obvious game with 120fps for me. I found it much more noitcable in 3D games. Maybe I just need to play it more rather than shortly test it.