• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really like this early comparison. Please make noobe mode couse I really would like to try this title and never played any souls like game
souls games are super easy. and this coming from someone who took 6 hours to beat the first level in demon souls.

you can create range builds that let you shoot everyone with magic from 20 yards away. you can block pretty much every enemy attack with your shield and just wait for your stamina to recharge. you can summon NPCs or bring in real players to help you coop any level or boss fights. thats basically the easy mode. i didnt like dark souls 2 much so i decided to break the game by taking in 4 NPCs and online players to each boss fight. it was hilarious.

the biggest struggle most people have with these games is that they dont know you can unlock shortcuts that cut down or in some cases completely eliminate the need to go through enemies in that level. i had no idea there were shortcuts in souls games since this was my first souls game. by the time i played bloodborne, i was on the lookout for shortcuts and it made the game a breeze. for example, in both bloodborne and demon souls, the first level has over 30 enemies you have to beat just to get to the first boss. but if you find and unlock shortcuts you dont have to fight anyone of them. i have played and beat every souls game since and they are all super easy. learning some bosses might take a few tries but you can easily kill them in a minute or two if you know what you are doing.

Even sekiro which was actually very hard on the first playthrough despite checkpoints everywhere was actually a breeze on the second playthrough when you learned to parry and stop dodging and block like it was a souls game. i spent 8 hours on a boss because i was playing it like a souls game. on my second playthrough, i beat him in under two minutes without taking damage. From just wants you to learn the game instead of mashing buttons like its cod.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
uhhh... im not sure how DF managed to make a 14 minute video with no new info? They just are describing what we already can see ourselves? Didnt we already have these photos already? I like DF but there is nothing new here?

*shrugs*
its a "breakdown". look at the video title.

there is quite a bit of new info here that we didnt know before. i didnt know the trailer was native 4k. i didnt know a single shot of the trailer was 1440p likely from the performance mode. it was good to see them breakdown rt shadows because i cant see that shit myself. we didnt know that the game isnt using ray traced reflections.

its a fine video.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WTF... I can't believe people want the same to look as bland and empty as the original. This is probably what FS was trying to do if the hardware they were working on allowed it. There is foliage and whatnot in the original, if you are in an abandoned city this is what it should look like. This is what bricks in a castle falling apart should look like.

I even wish BP takes this a step further and improved the animation of everything too.

Like how's it even possible to prefer this
EaRdLScXsAETfyu

To this...
EaRdMWJXQAAbKQZ
and you thought i was crazy! at least im bitching about how the graphics could get better than they already are. these guys prefer want the bad graphics to come back. lol

i was hoping for more than just rt shadows from their marquee game. bluepoint talked a big game but the lack of rt reflections in a game with so much armor is kinda disappointing. no idea why it needs to run at native 4k 30 fps. just drop down to 4kcb and give us ray traced reflections on the armor man.

next gen, we dont need two settings. we need three. Performance: 1440p 60 fps. Quality = native 4k 60 fps. And Next Gen: 1440p 30 fps with ray tracing coming out of its ass.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Why do they mention some shots as being pre-rendered? Didnt Sony confirm everything is running real time at the beginning of the event??

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
It looks really good. Glad it's an early PS5 game and not a late PS4 game. At this point, what's another year.

One nice piece of information from the DF article is that you can choose between higher framerate or improved visuals.
They are reworking the entire engine then because I thought game logic is tied to framerate in Demon Souls?

If they are doing all of this work, right down to changing the core logic, could they possibly be working on a sequel too?

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'd guess that lot of the way the original looked was out of necessity not choice. I doubt the lack of foliage and some of the "basic" look of areas was what they wanted.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
They are reworking the entire engine then because I thought game logic is tied to framerate in Demon Souls?

If they are doing all of this work, right down to changing the core logic, could they possibly be working on a sequel too?

There's a perfectly functional 60 fps patch for the RPCS3 emulator so it's not like they have to write a new engine from scratch or anything crazy.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
There's a perfectly functional 60 fps patch for the RPCS3 emulator so it's not like they have to write a new engine from scratch or anything crazy.
LMAO....

Yes. You are right. They would not have to write a new engine from scratch at all. What we are seeing in this remake is just better textures and lighting for the most part.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
WTF... I can't believe people want the same to look as bland and empty as the original. This is probably what FS was trying to do if the hardware they were working on allowed it. There is foliage and whatnot in the original, if you are in an abandoned city this is what it should look like. This is what bricks in a castle falling apart should look like.

I even wish BP takes this a step further and improved the animation of everything too.

EaRdLScXsAETfyu

To this...
EaRdMWJXQAAbKQZ
Wtf haha . thats amazing . Dont know why anyone would want the first pic either 😂

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

EaRdLScXsAETfyu

To this...
EaRdMWJXQAAbKQZ

Wow, that is a massive upgrade - what makes it even better is how good at optimizing Bluepoint are, its performance is pretty much guaranteed to be locked.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
It looks astonishing. I love the setting!

I can understand why some people prefer the old look though. There's a huge difference in colour-tones, which changes the mood of the scenes. Hopefully that can be mostly sorted by post-process colour grading with some filter, for those who desire a more faithful look.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
This is poorly aged? Get your eyes checked lol
youtu.be

Demon's Souls RPCS3 Best Settings in 2020 | 60 FPS FullHD

These settings will provide you with extremely stable 60FPS gameplay. In addition, now you can view in-game videos.Demon's Souls 60 FPS Patch (patch.yml) Dow...

looks poorly aged to me lol. The gameplay and atmosphere of Demon's Souls holds up (well maybe not the gameplay entirely), but I definitely wouldn't say it holds up graphically even when rendered at a higher resolution and better framerate. Demon's Souls wasn't even considered a visual powerhouse when it released.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
This is poorly aged? Get your eyes checked lol
youtu.be

Demon's Souls RPCS3 Best Settings in 2020 | 60 FPS FullHD

These settings will provide you with extremely stable 60FPS gameplay. In addition, now you can view in-game videos.Demon's Souls 60 FPS Patch (patch.yml) Dow...

uh...yeah. Put this one up against BB/The Old Hunters or Dark Souls 3 and it becomes VERY apparent how this one has aged. The guy who said it was more like two generations back isn't far off.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
How does the patch work? Because physics for sure would break since its tick rate would be wonky on frame drops or increases. How does the patch work?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I didn't make it so don't ask me. But it works perfectly even if you don't maintain a locked 60. Here's the article: https://rpcs3.net/blog/2019/08/12/new-demons-souls-60fps-patch/
You really shouldn't be saying this. Or pushing this kinda message.

You are very, very, very, very wrong.

You can't take a game, rebuild geometry, models, artwork and textures, rebuild physics systems and animations, remix sound, and record a few new stuff, rebuild AI and animations, lighting, add whole new physics systems, going from a power PC architecture to an x64 one... and be just doing that on a patched old engine. You literally have to rebuild the engine from scratch, or as the case is here use your pre-existing retooled for the PS5 modern engine and rebuild the game.

Unless you really believe that BP would just take the original game, forked over a patch from the PC, emulate all that on the PS5, then go in and change everything in the game to have it looking as it looks now.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
You really shouldn't be saying this. Or pushing this kinda message.

You are very, very, very, very wrong.

You can't take a game, rebuild geometry, models, artwork and textures, rebuild physics systems and animations, remix sound, and record a few new stuff, rebuild AI and animations, lighting, add whole new physics systems, going from a power PC architecture to an x64 one... and be just doing that on a patched old engine. You literally have to rebuild the engine from scratch, or as the case is here use your pre-existing retooled for the PS5 modern engine and rebuild the game.

Unless you really believe that BP would just take the original game, forked over a patch from the PC, emulate all that on the PS5, then go in and change everything in the game to have it looking as it looks now.

Err I didn't say that at all, what? I was merely pointing out that getting Demon's Souls to run at 60 fps isn't a challenge even if they were to use the same engine. My original post was replying to a poster who said that an entire engine rework would be required to get Demon's Souls to run at 60.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Err I didn't say that at all, what? I was merely pointing out that getting Demon's Souls to run at 60 fps isn't a challenge even if they were to use the same engine. My original post was replying to a poster who said that an entire engine rework would be required to get Demon's Souls to run at 60.
Ok my bad...misunderstood what you were saying.

PlayMaker

Jun 12, 2020
Demon's Souls has not aged well, neither in the graphic aspect (we are not talking about artistic design), nor in the technical aspect, as well as in some mechanics. Surely Bluepoint has given a good change to everything to make a game from a decade ago into a new generation game.

The technical aspect doesn't worry me so much, although I would appreciate stable 60fps.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
That you don't see how aged that game is... is actually disturbing.
I have better tolerance for older games unlike others because I place more emphasis on gameplay and level design and not just graphics/fluff. Clearly every game ages from a graphical perspective. But I find even Mario 64 a perfectly playable and enjoyable game still, because it's got substance, unlike a ton of todays games that's all graphics and nothing more. I don't think any game ages beyond playability, if I enjoyed it 5 or 10 years ago I enjoy it the same today.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I have better tolerance for older games unlike others because I place more emphasis on gameplay and level design and not just graphics/fluff. Clearly every game ages from a graphical perspective. But I find even Mario 64 a perfectly playable and enjoyable game still, because it's got substance, unlike a ton of todays games that's all graphics and nothing more. I don't think any game ages beyond playability, if I enjoyed it 5 or 10 years ago I enjoy it the same today.
Well... we were talking about the graphics an environments though.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember i purchased Demon's Souls in playasia before it was available in the west and payed 100 bucks man, i made it a mission to beat the game lol, i still have the CE box laying around, I'm so hyped for this.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Why do they mention some shots as being pre-rendered? Didnt Sony confirm everything is running real time at the beginning of the event??
I think they were talking about some of the scenes that were recreating the opening movie. It would be a little silly to not just pre-render the opening movie when it is completely non-interactive.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The art direction actually looks better
I agree with this.

Looking at the side by side comparisons, I like it. I thought the dragon opening roar was off until looking at it side by side, lol.

I do think the original one looked more menacing tho. That's my only complaint. Or I'm remembering the game thumbnail on PS3. Somewhere the head looked alot bigger, can't remember where now.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For what little budget the game had demons souls still looks ok but it never looked particularly good. The remake looks incredible though

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I can't take seriously the complaints by OG fans. Most of them are so dumb.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I think they were talking about some of the scenes that were recreating the opening movie. It would be a little silly to not just pre-render the opening movie when it is completely non-interactive.
But the expectations is that this is running real time , if this is pre-rendered because the ps5 cannot reach this level real time then that is a problem.

I think it said something like "captured on PS5".

Doesn't this mean real time? Otherwise what's the difference from capturing it anywhere else?

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
But the expectations is that this is running real time , if this is pre-rendered because the ps5 cannot reach this level real time then that is a problem.

Doesn't this mean real time? Otherwise what's the difference from capturing it anywhere else?
Some parts of it were real-time like the boss introductions. However some parts were probably pre-rendered as well like the opening bits.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris

Did you see the intro shots lol ? If you couldn't see the difference between everything else running on PS5 and those shots.. They are full detail cgi landscapes