• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
My bet, given the file sizes, is that PS5 is spending more time decompressing the files than the Series consoles are.

This was my guess too, and all things considered, that moment of extra loading is absolutely worth it for a smaller file size (assuming it's what's going on). I know we're pretty much within the margin of error anyway, but still.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This was my guess too, and all things considered, that moment of extra loading is absolutely worth it for a smaller file size (assuming it's what's going on). I know we're pretty much within the margin of error anyway, but still.
The real world difference in loading time experience is negligible for multi-platform games by and large so far, for sure. Compared to last gen, the difference is stark though, for sure!

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The real world difference in loading time experience is negligible for multi-platform games by and large so far, for sure. Compared to last gen, the difference is stark though, for sure!

I find myself way more able/willing to just pick up and play a game at random, with the loading improvements. It's such a big difference, all around.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I noticed the odd stutter like this when I played through the backwards compatible version. It didn't start happening until half way into the game but was rare enough not to ruin the game. It was most noticeable when opening and closing the map. Audio issues also popped up near the end of the game which was a bummer.
Assuming this new version is built on the last gen code it would make sense the bugs came along for the ride. At least it sounds like they'll get fixed.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Only time I notice a stutter on my series x is when I go into the pause menu and back to gameplay. Doesn't seem to happen when I go to character menu or gameplay

Mouseninja

Jun 9, 2018
Dunno if it's been asked before but does this support hdr on the series x? Can't seem to find any settings regarding it

Joo

May 25, 2018
Speaking as someone with both, the differences are gonna have to be consistently massive for that to over-ride the fact that I have 1.8TBs of SSD in my Series X and can back up any next gen games on my external 6TB HDD over my PS5 which has 600GB and there's nothing else I can do about it. Space is an issue on one of these consoles for me and not the other. And a 50% reduction in game size is massively welcome, but doesn't massively help that issue.
Of course this is the case right now, but I don't think it will take too long for Sony to allow expandable storage to be put to PS5's internal slot. Then again, file sizes could be something that will be majorly in favour of PS5 for the whole generation.

42% smaller isn't exactly a minor difference.

Jul 28, 2020
It's a bit weird that the load times are the same as is the visuals between PS5 and Series X. There should be some sort of differentiation given the spec differences in SSD speeds or TF/CU.

I guess it's going to be a while before we actually see what these systems are capable of.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I find myself way more able/willing to just pick up and play a game at random, with the loading improvements. It's such a big difference, all around.
Yeah. I actually realized my PS5 had downloaded the PS4 version of Control instead of the PS5 version when I first opened it because of the load time to get to the menu. I immediately knew what had happened.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
So other than DualSense features and smaller file size on PS5, the game is basically identical on both.

Still, PS5 having 42% smaller file size because of Kraken compression, that results in identical performance, is quite a big deal imo.
I don't think so. We would see much better loadings I think (like in Demon's souls). I think it could be related to using oodle textures and maybe deduplication of data.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Of course this is the case right now, but I don't think it will take too long for Sony to allow expandable storage to be put to PS5's internal slot. Then again, file sizes could be something that will be majorly in favour of PS5 for the whole generation.

42% smaller isn't exactly a minor difference.

As I said, it's a super welcome decrease in size but it equally doesn't mean a lot if I'm out of size on one and I've got like another TB free on the other.

When they finally push out their expanded storage option stuff it'll be great. I'm so ready to buy a big SSD to stick in! Until then, I wouldn't say that smaller storage sizes is a particualarly advantageous trend. It's a bandaid to help a storage issue at the moment. And a welcome one!

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Quick PS5 question, will increasing the brightness to 65-70 make the game look as intended?

Joo

May 25, 2018
As I said, it's a super welcome decrease in size but it equally doesn't mean a lot if I'm out of size on one and I've got like another TB free on the other.

When they finally push out their expanded storage option stuff it'll be great. I'm so ready to buy a big SSD to stick in! Until then, I wouldn't say that smaller storage sizes is a particualarly advantageous trend. It's a bandaid to help a storage issue at the moment. And a welcome one!
Yep! I agree, but calling it a band-aid is hardly true for most gamers.

All I'm saying is that most just aren't going to buy any kind of pricey storage expansion on either PS5 or XSX, so it's definitely an advantage when you think outside of a typical Era member's buying habits.

uptownsoul

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Would love to see more back compat games like this (and future next gen only games) have a 60fps & RT mode like Spider-Man & Spidey:MM

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
My bet, given the file sizes, is that PS5 is spending more time decompressing the files than the Series consoles are.

That the file sizes are markedly different? Yeah. I have it on both Series X and PS5, and the PS5 version is much smaller.
Could be the case . I wonder why the file size difference is so big between the two .

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Crazy to see that loading times are pretty much same across next-gen consoles
I think both the Series X GPU advantage and the PS5 SSD advantage were both grossly overstated in the pre-launch war days. I don't think we're going to see much difference between the Series X and PS5 version of any multiplat game.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I think both the Series X GPU advantage and the PS5 SSD advantage were both grossly overstated in the pre-launch war days. I don't think we're going to see much difference between the Series X and PS5 version of any multiplat game.

Yeah... Parity with 3rd party games is probably a good thing... although I think it's still too early for me personally to hope this will be case entire gen.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I have noticed the PS5 version is insanely dark in certain areas vs. Series X. I've seen the stuttering on Series X too, although PS5 isn't without them. Although far fewer, I have noticed a couple about halfway through the game on PS5. Both look terrific however. That Series S is also impressive! Almost makes me want to get one just to see how stuff runs on it. Plus, I love that small form factor.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Completely agreed.
But as stated by the other user I imagine that this whole storage situation is just a temporary one.
Anyway we don´t know if this is a unique case or something that we´ll spread in the future.
Maybe when Xbox tools are more mature they can also benefit from better compression.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I have noticed the PS5 version is insanely dark in certain areas vs. Series X. I've seen the stuttering on Series X too, although PS5 isn't without them. Although far fewer, I have noticed a couple about halfway through the game on PS5. Both look terrific however. That Series S is also impressive! Almost makes me want to get one just to see how stuff runs on it. Plus, I love that small form factor.
I talk myself out of doing this about once a week.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Another interesting off-shoot from the AutoHDR stuff is that from Alex/DF's initial coverage of the game, he mentions that the 1X seems to be at mostly Medium-level PC settings, whilst running @1440p.

With all of these numbers in mind, how do these key settings match up against Xbox One X - the best console version by far? Well, it's a fairly uninteresting story to be honest - and similar to many other console games from the latter end of this generation. Across the board, settings seem to be locked to the equivalent of PC's medium presets. The only setting I could not determine concerned volumetric quality, which may be either high or medium - but in reality, they both look rather similar anyway. It was quite interesting to confirm these console-level settings as they are identical to my own optimised settings for the PC version. The bottom line is that medium is where the best bang for the buck sits, and that's the best fit for consoles.
www.eurogamer.net

Control PC: a vision for the future of real-time rendering?

Last week, we posed the question: has ray tracing finally found its killer app? While Minecraft RTX and Quake 2 RTX hav…

Obviously we have the infamous PS5/XSX image from the other thread with a lot of the settings on 'low'.

Does this mean there is another (possibly better?) aesthetic presentation running the XB1X version in BC + AutoHDR on XSX? I thought the AutoHDR implementation on the standard edition was good, personally.

Naturally this is the cost of RT options or 60FPS.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or does the game look I dunno...choppy when turning the camera on graphics mode? I dont think the frame rate is dipping but something just looks off to me.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
It's a bit weird that the load times are the same as is the visuals between PS5 and Series X. There should be some sort of differentiation given the spec differences in SSD speeds or TF/CU.

I guess it's going to be a while before we actually see what these systems are capable of.
These teams are probably setting targets and when they hit them with each individual platform they call it a day. This is probably especially true here considering Remedy has moved on from Control and this is probably a skeleton team porting the game.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
30 fps mode performacne nearly faultless? Then why does it feel so bad?

Coming from Spider-Man & Demon's Souls at 30 there was a noticeable drop in smoothness.

Sure I could get used to it (I did on PS4 Pro) but my mileage is sure varying

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crushed blacks or slight stutters. Pick your poison. Both will be addressed I imagine.
Damn I though I was going to play on Xbox. Now I'm torn
Xbox has stutters / good brightness
Ps5 has crushed black / amazing dual sense / half size files

I'll play it on the first that's corrected. Xbox for stutters or ps5 for black. But dual sense is crazy there. I would miss it
On Xbox

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or does the game look I dunno...choppy when turning the camera on graphics mode? I dont think the frame rate is dipping but something just looks off to me.

That's just how it feels to go from 60fps to 30fps. I started the game at 30fps and it felt fine, changed it to 60fps at the first instance of combat, then changed it back to 30fps and it felt unplayable...though I'm sure I would have gotten sure to it again after a while.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017

That the file sizes are markedly different? Yeah. I have it on both Series X and PS5, and the PS5 version is much smaller.

Regardless, I think it's amazing the game is only 20 something gbs. This is definitely something important when PS5's SSD comes at a premium.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
30 fps mode performacne nearly faultless? Then why does it feel so bad?

Coming from Spider-Man & Demon's Souls at 30 there was a noticeable drop in smoothness.

Sure I could get used to it (I did on PS4 Pro) but my mileage is sure varying
Bad frame-pacing and the motion blur implementation is mediocre

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not making any concrete opinions on these consoles until we're a couple years in and aaa first party stuff starts appearing.

hopefully they fix the bugs here and it will be a fine way to play this game.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Controlaron Series S hold very well, some dips but still above 50 fps and for less than some seconds. I have a big backlog but I want get the game right now 😅

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Now I could be imagining things, but 4:11, the close up, there is more detail on Jesse's face, most notably the chin area, on Series X, right? Or can that be attributed to the brightness mismatch?