• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
The Dualsense features and smaller file size are enough to make the PS5 version the only choice for me lol

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Has Remedy said anything about why there's no HDR? Seems like a game that would benefit from it, it's so full of contrasting imagery and concepts on all levels.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Has Remedy said anything about why there's no HDR? Seems like a game that would benefit from it, it's so full of contrasting imagery and concepts on all levels.
It's a matter of their engine, it's just not implemented in it. It didn't had HDR on any platform.

They said this:
Early on in Control's development, it was decided that HDR would not be implemented in-game. This is a decision based on the fact that development resources are limited, and we need to allocate what we have in a certain way. Moving into post launch, we prefer to use the resources we have to focus on future free content for Control like the Photo Mode. We realize this may disappoint some players, but we hope the additions we plan to bring to Control more than make up for the absence of HDR.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
Tried it for the first time last night on PS5. 60fps is definitely the way to go imo. I don't think I've noticed such a huge different between 30/60 in a game before but I've never been one to be picky about it.

My main issue right now though is the crushed blacks. Because of the art style everything is just too black imo for it to be enjoyable so I'll wait a bit for the fix. Does the contrasty lighting in the game mostly stay consistent or will this be less of an issue later in the game? Hopefully it comes sooner rather than later.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
MS need to give us force Auto HDR toggle. We need some Control in here. No pun intended.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
If the updated version isn't on Game Pass, then the clear winner is the one I can get free on PS+.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I think that was one of the biggest shockers. Confirms that the SSD in the Series X is not a generation behind like a lot of people thought.

I think it's already been stated many times, that 3rd parties will not really take advantage of the advanced Sony SSD. Spiderman loads a giant Open World Map in 3 seconds, while this game takes 11 seconds to load a smaller set piece.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
its weird that df missed the animation problems. the running/jumping animations stutter on xsx and ps5.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
It's not a performance thing. There's no performance hit from Auto HDR.
Thats only for last gen xbox one as far as I know. Last gen version of control support auto hdr. There is not such thing as no performance hit, there is 12 TF of performance available for last gen games, more than the original hw they were running on, even if you reserve some for auto hdr, games would still run better. Tetris effect for example, if you turn off hdr in game, auto hdr kicks in. It actually operates as a xbox one game. Smart delivery + optimized for xbox series makes the message muddy. Because a game says optimized for xbsx it doesn't meant its a native xbsx game.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Great video as usual. Besides the Series X having those random frame drops when text pops up or walking in certain parts. It held up the best in areas where there was a lot of particle effects and what not. Barely dropped below 58 fps on performance mode. Now if only they could iron out those other issues. I'm actually going to play this again when I get the time. PS5 also did a good job.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats only for last gen xbox one as far as I know. Last gen version of control support auto hdr. There is not such thing as no performance hit, there is 12 TF of performance available for last gen games, more than the original hw they were running on, even if you reserve some for auto hdr, games would still run better. Tetris effect for example, if you turn off hdr in game, auto hdr kicks in. It actually operates as a xbox one game. Smart delivery + optimized for xbox series makes the message muddy. Because a game says optimized for xbsx it doesn't meant its a native xbsx game.
Straight from Microsoft:
"Auto HDR is enabled by the console's hardware, there is absolutely no performance cost to the CPU, GPU or memory".

They've said it's only disabled when the auto HDR team or the devs themselves find that the Auto HDR implementation isn't visually pleasing/accurate/etc..

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
I think it's already been stated many times, that 3rd parties will not really take advantage of the advanced Sony SSD. Spiderman loads a giant Open World Map in 3 seconds, while this game takes 11 seconds to load a smaller set piece.

I'm sure eventually we're going to see better load times once the real next gen games come out. But I don't think there is anything extra in terms of meaningful performance gain to see from the PS5 SSD compared to the Series X. I'm pretty sure the Series X would load the Spiderman open world game in roughly the same time if it were available on the platform.

We've already seen in games like Fifa, NBA where games load in under 3 seconds on both machines. MK 11 loading times are comparable. But let's wait and see.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Straight from Microsoft:
"Auto HDR is enabled by the console's hardware, there is absolutely no performance cost to the CPU, GPU or memory".

They've said it's only disabled when the auto HDR team or the devs themselves find that the Auto HDR implementation isn't visually pleasing/accurate/etc..

The msg indicate its baked into the system level, dev has all the resources promised to them so whether they use it or not it take away any performance, infact it turn on automatically on xbo games, zero work required on dev site on legacy titles.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The msg indicate its baked into the system level, dev has all the resources promised to them so whether they use it or not it take away any performance, infact it turn on automatically on xbo games, zero work required on dev site on legacy titles.
I think we're in agreement here then that there's no performance hit from Auto HDR.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Controls seemed laggy for me, but changing a sensitivity setting just for a notch solved it.

Hope they at least try to fix crushed blacks, it is really impossible to see anything on some places. Otherwise it is fine on bright areas. Don't think turning off HDR in PS5 settings would solve that...

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like another wash on both platforms, these differences are getting hilariously minute (which is a good thing). I'll wait a couple weeks for some patches, and play whichever has their tiny quirks ironed out first.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I had i3 4ª gen + gtx 1060 and was unable to hold 45fps on 720p
only now, with ryzen5 3600 + new RAM + SSD my performance is stable 1080p 60fps (without Raytracing of course)
At what settings? I can play it on an i5/GTX970 at low settings at 1080p and 60fps with stutters. I guess your i3 just crippled everything.

I don't think the settings/performance for the XSS is impressive at all. Well, to me at least. Not with this game.

But it wouldn't surprise me if this was the version they spent the least time optimizing. Considering it's always said that time and budget was limited for the next gen port.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
wish they'd dive in to the install size difference.
there is a huge difference, wonder what's going there

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
Series S continue to be the little 60FPS box that could.
Very please with my purchase.

Joo

May 25, 2018
So other than DualSense features and smaller file size on PS5, the game is basically identical on both.

Still, PS5 having 42% smaller file size because of Kraken compression, that results in identical performance, is quite a big deal imo.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Obvious apples to oranges comparisons aside, for science I'd love to see what trade-offs would be required to see some form of RT at 60fps on XSX & PS5.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Yay! Was always interested in this game but the PS4 performance tanked my first attempt haha. And I'm not a performance oriented person, usually. Have this sitting on Series S, excited to finally dig in on an unplayed Remedy game!

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Yay! Was always interested in this game but the PS4 performance tanked my first attempt haha. And I'm not a performance oriented person, usually. Have this sitting on Series S, excited to finally dig in on an unplayed Remedy game!

yeah played through this on ps4pro and it was rough. you kind of adapt after some time.
but now after seeing it in 60fps, performance mode is definitely the way to experience this for me.

Oct 28, 2017
So other than DualSense features and smaller file size on PS5, the game is basically identical on both.

Still, PS5 having 42% smaller file size because of Kraken compression, that results in identical performance, is quite a big deal imo.

Outside of the Stuttering on Series X transitioning to/from cutscenes, when running round with nothing really going on, or when text appears on the screen, or some crushed blacks on PS5, yes, they are very similar. Remedy is supposed to be looking at both.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Outside of the Stuttering on Series X transitioning to/from cutscenes, when running round with nothing really going on, or when text appears on the screen, or some crushed blacks on PS5, yes, they are very similar. Remedy is supposed to be looking at both.
A few of us have been experiencing crashing on Series X at the same time stutters can occur.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Surprised the Series consoles load faster . Xbox SXversion looks like it needs to be fixed for a good experience .

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I wonder if the file sizes is something unique or it´s going to be widespread.
Technically speaking, and not considerating the DualSense and PS+ factors, feels like this is the only debatable advantage in this case.
With both PS5 and Series X having such a limited storage if this becomes a trend that would be a huge advantage for Sony.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the file sizes is something unique or it´s going to be widespread.
Technically speaking, and not considerating the DualSense and PS+ factors, feels like this is the only debatable advantage in this case.
With both PS5 and Series X having such a limited storage if this becomes a trend that would be a huge advantage for Sony.

Speaking as someone with both, the differences are gonna have to be consistently massive for that to over-ride the fact that I have 1.8TBs of SSD in my Series X and can back up any next gen games on my external 6TB HDD over my PS5 which has 600GB and there's nothing else I can do about it. Space is an issue on one of these consoles for me and not the other. And a 50% reduction in game size is massively welcome, but doesn't massively help that issue.

I don't know if I'd go as far as to call it a huge advantage for Sony until they fix the storage issues.

Last edited: