• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Does the console version of Control do all the cool light bounce stuff where objects inherit the colour of their neighbouring objects?

To me that is like the coolest aspect of RT.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then invest in a RTX 3080. Honestly the amount of tech the new consoles are packing in for their price compared to last gen is incredible, but obviously having a modern CPU and SSD in there obviously reduces the GPU budget. It's a balance, the consoles could have had better GPUs but then we'd still be stuck with mechanical drives and slow load speeds, or a weak CPU bottlenecking everything again. Instead we have the most balanced console hardware we've seen for a long time, as far as both PS5 and XSX are concerned. But if you want high framerates and resolutions and ultra settings, as with every generation you're going to need to invest a lot more than $500 in a PC. And it's nice that we have that option.
I think we're on a trajectory where many gaming enthusiasts will be underwhelmed for the first year or two of this gen only to be blown away once AAA exclusives start landing in a couple years, actually properly taking advantage of the hardware.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I wonder if there will be a game on next-gen consoles where I'd actually use the graphics mode.

Cool to have, regardless. But so far, from my Demons souls and Star Wars playthroughs, I doubt it.
I'm of the same mind, I'm starting to get so used to 60FPS that 30 doesn't feel right. I expect though as the gen progresses we'll see more games going back to 30FPS as graphics get better? Not sure.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly the Series S holding a near-locked 60fps at 900p is impressive, considering the Series X and PS5 are only at 1440p.
Series S is impressive period. It's not a great choice for enthusiasts for multiple reasons (BC limitations come to mind), but it delivers a great next-gen experience at a discount price.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I think we're on a trajectory where many gaming enthusiasts will be underwhelmed for the first year or two of this gen only to be blown away once AAA exclusives start landing in a couple years, actually properly taking advantage of the hardware.
Yeah, we've seen a glimmer of what's possible already with Demon's Souls, Hivebusters and even the GoW 4k/60 patch. When first party studios on both sides are firing on all cylinders, we'll really see what these consoles are capable of.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Wow just watched some of the video and the Series S and X both have better load times than the PS5.

I guess that's the disadvantage of smaller file size.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
I anticipate this to be a minority opinion and I may just be old/crotchety/stuck in my ways but I got the PS5 version and I find the adaptive R2 to be annoying. I get it's supposed to give a trigger feel but I'd rather not have the resistance.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
One of the Remedy devs touched on this on twitter - but keep in mind these were being handled by a smaller team on a limited budget. Hardware capability is just a small part of the story here, it's a matter of resources.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
*eyebrows up*
It was terrible.
It is now "snappier", from a terrible situation.
That doesn't equal "snappy".

I'm saying the game in its original form played well to most sensibilities, even many who normally dislike excessive input delay at the game level. And specifically here, you're responding to a qualitative statement that it's improved (in a situation where it makes sense with just framerate increase alone), and you're categorically dismissing in (and being petulant about it) without even having first-hand experience yourself.

I don't think this is even about the game for you. You're free to be annoyed at input lag, but don't thread-shit.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
As I said in another thread, RT looks like a no go for this gen for me because if the only way to get it is to give up 60fps it's not worth it. The difference in playability is massive between the two.

Not at all. Look at Miles Morales on PS5. Really great RT, higher resolution, open world. And it'll only get better with tech maturing.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
It's worse than what pc can offer but for the price and budget Remedy have done wonders.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Seem identical to me. So the cheapest or the one on the console you enjoy more?

Haven't seen the video yet. Do they mention that the game is 'free' with PS+? They do all the time for XB on GP.

it was mentioned in their first article which was focused on the PS5 version.

www.eurogamer.net

Control Ultimate Edition - how next-gen consoles transform a classic game

Remedy's Control has a special place in the collective heart of Digital Foundry. Not only is it one of the best games o…

However, having sampled the fully patched PlayStation 5 rendition of the game, the idea that this excellent conversion is being given away free with PlayStation Plus may well make this one of the best line-ups we've seen from the service.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Haven't watch the vid but this game support auto hdr on xbsx? That can be a major advantage.

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
I feel like the first 4 months of a gen, with a cross-gen game that was already crazy demanding, when there are not enough consoles (or next gen PC cards) manufactured to justify next-gen exclusive development, is the best time to be disappointed.

I don't think I have ever looked at anything in life this way, but now I feel like I should try.
On topic, first 30 minutes with the game on PS5 and I'm not particularly blown away, yea the reflections are "nice" but not entirely realistic. I would have traded the overly done shiny surfaces and reflections for better shadows and lighting.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Most disappointing thing about PS5 graphics mode isn't even the low/below low pc settings or 30fps, it's the frankly insane input lag it has. Strange to see no mention of this in either DF article. It's one of those cases where you don't just feel it, you can see it, no need for high speed camera or anything. Press jump, *pause*, jumping happens.
No problems with input lag here.