• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Remedy itself has already revealed the full specifications of the new versions, which essentially boils down to this: PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X run at a native 1440p resolution (with no dynamic resolution scaling) with a temporal upscale to 2160p output. Graphics and performance modes are essentially a toggle for ray tracing support, which adds RT reflections on opaque and glass surfaces. RT locks users to 30fps gaming, while disabling it removes the frame-rate cap, with performance only limited by 60Hz v-sync.

Without giving too much away, it's clear that Control in RT graphics mode has a significant amount of headroom beyond 30fps (but nowhere near 60 for the most part, it's worth stressing), the upshot being that in standard gameplay, both Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 lock to their target frame-rate of 30. The only outlier here is the introduction of improper frame-pacing in very rare scenarios, but otherwise it's nearly faultless. In terms of quality settings and visual features, Series X and PlayStation 5 look like a complete match - with just a small difference in gamma levels.

Beyond this, Series X exhibits some stutter not seen on PS5 - regardless of it being set to graphics or performance modes. It crops up with the arrival of UI elements on screen and in standard traversal, and can be distracting. Our understanding is that Remedy is looking to address this in a future patch, but it's the only blemish in what is otherwise a very polished 30fps experience with some beautiful RT work.

The performance mode meanwhile aims to run Control flat-out at 60 frames per second. By and large, it's an excellent experience regardless of which system you play on, and in terms of sheer playability, it's the best way to enjoy the game. It's also at this point that we can factor in Xbox Series S. It lacks the 30fps RT mode and targets performance only, delivering a 60fps experience at native 900p, with a temporal upscale to 1080p.

www.eurogamer.net

Control Ultimate Edition - the next-gen experience compared on PS5 and Xbox Series consoles

Remedy's Control Ultimate Edition is out now for next (current?) generation console systems, delivering a substantial r…

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the Series S holding a near-locked 60fps at 900p is impressive, considering the Series X and PS5 are only at 1440p.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Biggest takeaway I can see is the Series S doing so well.

PS5 and XSX look to be about equal.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
I went back and forth for about an hour and settled on performance mode - I'm generally someone who's okay with 30 FPS too. Something about this game at 30fps felt really off as opposed to something like TLoU P2 or AC Valhalla in quality mode.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
As I said in another thread, RT looks like a no go for this gen for me because if the only way to get it is to give up 60fps it's not worth it. The difference in playability is massive between the two.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
I tried the graphics mode last night and nearly threw up plus it didnt look much different other than the reflections. I think I'm done with 30fps modes now. Ran like hot butter on performance mode.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm loving this gen, so far, even for these early conversions. Considering the PC performance without DLSS, this is a solid result for the hardware. That crushed black issue will hopefully be handled soon.

Last edited:

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
It's cool to see the game finally shining on consoles, even with compromises to do so, makes me wonder what the fuck CDPR will do with Cyberpunk later this year.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These too boxes looking far more samey than last gen.
For third party games, yes. I think it's becoming clear that even when there ARE differences, they're going to be extremely minor and virtually no one will be able to actually notice the differences in normal gameplay.

What's really going to be interesting this gen, is what each platform is able to produce for 1st party AAA titles. Can't wait to see what exclusives are looking like on each platform in a few years.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
I will buy it sometime if they Fix the stutters on Series X. Those would Annoy the F* out of me.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
It's cool to see the game finally shining on consoles, even with compromises to do so, makes me wonder what the fuck CDPR will do with Cyberpunk later this year.
I got it through either PS Plus or PS Now on PS4 and just turned it off at first battle cause it was stuttering and just awful basically.

Bought the ultimate version on XSX for £17 at the holidays and just waited until now. Glad I did.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
So, is the PS5 just fast enough to power through the stutters ?

Looks like both look/play the same with PS5 getting the nod because of those I/O stutters.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I find it baffling how they can release a patch that has stuttering. Seriously, release it when it's ready.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Most disappointing thing about PS5 graphics mode isn't even the low/below low pc settings or 30fps, it's the frankly insane input lag it has. Strange to see no mention of this in either DF article. It's one of those cases where you don't just feel it, you can see it, no need for high speed camera or anything. Press jump, *pause*, jumping happens.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
I thought I was starting to notice some stutters on Series X last night on performance mode. Good to know I'm not going crazy. Might hold off on continuing and see if Remedy patches that up.

Looks like both look/play the same with PS5 getting the nod because of those I/O stutters.
Thought they made it pretty clear they think it is something wrong with the game on Series X|S, not the hardware or how demanding the game is.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I suspected the game has margin to improve but small team can only do so much with so many skus.
It is on PS+ so easy choice here for multiplatform owners that are subscribed.
I don't feel it that different than when i played on ps4, visually (but played long ago). Fluidity however it's just perfect.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Most disappointing thing about PS5 graphics mode isn't even the low/below low pc settings or 30fps, it's the frankly insane input lag it has. Strange to see no mention of this in either DF article. It's one of those cases where you don't just feel it, you can see it, no need for high speed camera or anything. Press jump, *pause*, jumping happens.

Weird i feel the opposite. The game had really bad input lag on the Pro and its way better here

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Remedy has already said a patch is on the way to correct the stutters. It has nothing to do with the PS5 being "fast enough".

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Remedy has already said a patch is on the way to correct the stutters. It has nothing to do with the PS5 being "fast enough".

Yes, I read that in the blurb. It's good that this is an acknowledged issue and they're working on it.

The issue is still present on all the last gen versions and not patched, so I'm cautious about how quick they'll fix it.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Stutters, regardless of frequency, really hampered my enjoyment on last gen consoles. Really weird to see it return here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This gen continuing to disappoint for me.
Then invest in a RTX 3080. Honestly the amount of tech the new consoles are packing in for their price compared to last gen is incredible, but having a modern CPU and SSD in there obviously reduces the GPU budget. It's a balance, the consoles could have had better GPUs but then we'd still be stuck with mechanical drives and slow load speeds, or a weak CPU bottlenecking everything again. Instead we have the most balanced console hardware we've seen for a long time, as far as both PS5 and XSX are concerned. But if you want high framerates and resolutions and ultra settings, as with every generation, you're going to need to invest a lot more than $500 in a PC. And it's nice that we have that option. But try out Gears Hivebusters on XSX or the God of War 4k/60 patch on PS5 and I honestly don't know how you could not be utterly impressed with either.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if there will be a game on next-gen consoles where I'd actually use the graphics mode.

Cool to have, regardless. But so far, from my Demons souls and Star Wars playthroughs, I doubt it.

This gen continuing to disappoint for me.
3060 ti is a beast for 1440p gaming if you can get your hands on one