• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Multiple people have. I was told it was hyperbole *shrug*
The hyperbole I accused you on is calling the game a disaster, disgusting, hot garbage, broken mess and barely playable. Saying it crashes every 30 minutes. Saying that physical media is always broken and unplayable at launch.

I don't think I need to elaborate more. It's all in this very thread, if this isn't hyperbole then I don't know what to say. It's basically all 'lazy devs' rethorics hid behind trash talk and exagerrations.

Last edited:

Defunkled

Oct 29, 2017
As always, a stellar video by John. The amount of care and effort that goes into these comparisons is appreciated. I rarely buy a multiplatform game these days without first watching a DF analysis.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
900p60?!?!?

On Switch?

Even smaller scale games like Yoshi's Crafted World (which has way less going on but runs at 60) are way below 720p. 900p60 on Switch is impossible with UE4 with visuals like this.

Please don't lose your sanity over this haha. Forgive these people, for they do not know.

All joking aside, while I definitely understand where you're coming from on Bloodstained Switch, and the port definitely isn't a complete disaster considering the other versions and the engine it uses, I think it's the sum of concessions and problems that make the Switch version a bit underwhelming - lower res, halved framerate, lower quality assets, missing effects, long loading times, input lag... We just had Tom's DF analysis on Crash Team Racing's amazing Switch version, so going from that to this is a bit disappointing.

That said, what annoys me with the notion that an indie game should run better by virtue of it being an indie game (and thus, supposedly, being less demanding), is that people forget one reality of an indie studio: that optimization requires a decent amount of resources, which indies often don't have. That's why games like Yoshi can run at 60fps (albeit at a lower res); Nintendo can devote as many resources as they want on the optimization process. Plus their games are not multiplatform. They only ever have to tailor their games to one particular system.

Great video, as always :).

Last edited:

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Just to be clear, you're being facetious, right? ;)

No? I'm totally serious. i mean, i can if they are beside each other, but still both looks fantastic. much closer to each other in terms of looks/performance compared to this game.
c'mon now, you have all the signs that Switch version isn't really well optimized at all. Switch certainly can do better than that, there are already many examples.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
The hyperbole I accused you on is calling the game a disaster, disgusting, hot garbage, broken mess and barely playable. Saying it crashes every 30 minutes. Saying that physical media is always broken and unplayable at launch.

I don't think I need to elaborate more. It's all in this very thread, if this isn't hyperbole then I don't know what to say. It's basically all 'lazy devs' rethorics hid behind trash talk and exagerrations.

Except that's all true.

I posted screen caps. I posted a video showing a freeze. what have you done?

The game should have been delayed and fixed. In its current state it's unplayable unless you want to lose game play progress constantly. It's a mess.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Switch version is much, much worse than I could've imagined. I've never had more missed inputs in my life than when playing this game cause the input lag is so bad. The textures are the worst I've seen in a console game in many years. They didn't come anywhere close to hitting their targets on consoles and should've delayed this game on everything till they got it right.

Oct 29, 2017
Heard about the poor performance on Switch ahead of release so I returned my copy the day it came in the mail. Little time to waste on shitty software, the older one becomes.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
it IS a disaster. Why is everyone just OK with the fact that the game crashed all the time.

It's literally unplayable at time. I have to stop moving to allow everything to 'catch up' otherwise I face a crash. The game even has missing text. Like, WTF? It's such an amateur product at this point and should have been delayed.

But its OK, they delayed the Switch version so reviewers would not review the shittier project.

Well, it's situational. I've never once had a crash on my PS4 version in over 20 hours of playing. I can speed through the game with little issue on my end. Maybe it's just a matter of luck, but people tend to go off of their own life experiences.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel good holding off on this one.

Seems like their is a general level of unpolished-ness around it so hopefully that gets fixed.

If the PS4 Pro gets a higher resolution I might get that because Trophies. Or Ill just get it on PC in a few months once the bugs are squashed.

I have made my peice that current gen down ports to the switch are all mostly going to be terrible. Even the "good" ports like Doom seem terrible to me.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except that's all true.

I posted screen caps. I posted a video showing a freeze. what have you done?

The game should have been delayed and fixed. In its current state it's unplayable unless you want to lose game play progress constantly. It's a mess.

I don't need to bring up the book definitions of everything you said to bring the point across. What you described is a game that can't be finished or will require extreme tolerance and patience to accomplish, and I finished it without much issue despite its shortcomings, and that right after playing the PC version. Sure the difference is obvious at first sight, but I quickly got used to it and kept on playing.

I roughly lost 15 minutes of gameplay in the three crashes I experienced in 12 hours, thanks to save rooms being plentiful. The 12 seconds loading between rooms is exclusive to two room transitions in the Livre Ex Machina map, which will be traversed something like twice in a complete run. It'll have some rough edges here and there where you'll go ''Whoa, ok I guess." like that screen lock but I experienced it three '1 second' total in my playthrough which were exclusive to the boat and that Twin Dragon Tower section, which is a tiny fraction of the experience.

Not that these issues aren't jarring or excusable in any way, they shouldn't happen of course. But the words you are using far exceed what the actual product is and I think should be better thought out than that. It is a playable, serviceable version of the game.

As for your constant jabs against physical media, which already have been debated in previous threads, I'll prove my point by staying on topic and saying that my 12 hour run was done on the cart build version 0.1 of Bloodstained on Plane Mode the whole time.

zu9kk2g.jpg

Mwo5EvY.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
If you buy physically you will forever have a broken mess on disc/cart. Unless you plan on regularly checking all your games you opened the shrink-wrap on and stuck in your Switch that cart will forever be a broken mess.

You can just run the update of whatever game so long as it's been in the console once. It's not like you have to swap carts for each individual game everytime you update.

It's really not a big deal, and I don't see how this is a downside of going physical. Digital games need patches too.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No? I'm totally serious. i mean, i can if they are beside each other, but still both looks fantastic. much closer to each other in terms of looks/performance compared to this game.
c'mon now, you have all the signs that Switch version isn't really well optimized at all. Switch certainly can do better than that, there are already many examples.
Snake Pass is lower res than Bloodstained and the game itself is more constrained but it is a very good port, no doubt.

The difference between them is extremely obvious to my eyes, though.

Except that's all true.
I don't doubt you've had issues but I don't agree with that assessment at all.

Deleted member 5148

Oct 25, 2017
Realisticcly speaking, is it possible for the ps4 version to get a 4K stable 30fps option included in a patch or this too much to ask for?

I'm genuinely asking here.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Switch does not allow screenshots when the game crashes. LOL. That's just a small sampling of missing text and distorted backgrounds, I stopped taking screenshots at a certain point.

As an FYI, the distorted background thing happened to me on XBox One X. It was a optional area late game where the graphic changes for the stage. It made it fun. I had to complete the stage seeing nothing but distorted pixels.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Guess I'm going PC version then. Was considering the Switch version, but the sacrifices are too much.

Good thing is, judging by the posts here, the PC version is great. I should be able to go 1440p 120+fps no problems.

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotal evidence and all, but I've been playing the PS4 Pro version for around 9 hours and I have not faced any crash yet. When it comes to glitches, the word "was" appeared blank in a dialogue. But that's about it.

Playing on the latest patch, of course.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Not a single word about the PC version in the video.

I've had zero issues with it, no crashes, no bugs, no loading issues.
Did they not think it worth mentioning?
I have some stuttering when moving into a new room sometimes -probably the worst is if you use a waystone and head right- but otherwise I have about 28 hours logged on Steam and have almost 100%'ed it entirely (got the map completion already) without a single crash.
The stuttering I get seems like it was introduced after they patched the game though - it seemed to be smooth in the initial release.

Runs well too - 3440x1440 at 90 FPS on a GTX 1070 (could run better, but I target 90 on this screen).
I was initially playing the game at 5160x2160, but suffered a few frame drops in places and preferred the consistency.

I can't imagine what it's like on the console versions of the game if there's loading in-between rooms once you get the Accelerator shard - especially when it's maxed out.

Oct 27, 2017
I am lucky enough to have never run into any issue on PS4 Pro (even the book crash issue). Game is so good and well worth the hype and wait.

Hopefully they fix the other platforms. Game deserves to be played by all.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I don't need to bring up the book definitions of everything you said to bring the point across. What you described is a game that can't be finished or will require extreme tolerance and patience to accomplish, and I finished it without much issue despite its shortcomings, and that right after playing the PC version. Sure the difference is obvious at first sight, but I quickly got used to it and kept on playing.

I roughly lost 15 minutes of gameplay in the three crashes I experienced in 12 hours, thanks to save rooms being plentiful. The 12 seconds loading between rooms is exclusive to two room transitions in the Livre Ex Machina map, which will be traversed something like twice in a complete run. It'll have some rough edges here and there where you'll go ''Whoa, ok I guess." like that screen lock but I experienced it three '1 second' total in my playthrough which were exclusive to the boat and that Twin Dragon Tower section, which is a tiny fraction of the experience.

Not that these issues aren't jarring or excusable in any way, they shouldn't happen of course. But the words you are using far exceed what the actual product is and I think should be better thought out than that. It is a playable, serviceable version of the game.

As for your constant jabs against physical media, which already have been debated in previous threads, I'll prove my point by staying on topic and saying that my 12 hour run was done on the cart build version 0.1 of Bloodstained on Plane Mode the whole time.

zu9kk2g.jpg

Mwo5EvY.jpg
I have over 100 physical Switch games. I prefer digital but I own plenty of physical ones.

Once the Mini comes out and I get one for my son ill likely try them, and if I like, buy digitally and dump the physical. That way we can "share"
More easily.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
So I'm currently playing the Switch version and so far, I have encountered very few issues. In fact, I am rather pleased since I was expecting the worst but it's actually very stable.

So far I've:
  • had one crash in 10 hours of gameplay, when reading a new tip from a bookshelf
  • experienced only a single instance of framerate issue at the beginning of the twin dragon tower. Lasted for 30 seconds. Felt like the game was running at 20-25 fps during that time. Went back to this segment later on, before killing the boss and the issue was gone.
  • had one slowmo event after getting out of sleep mode and returning to my game. It felt like the game was running at half speed for 15 seconds or so.
Outside of these, it has been both a very stable experience and stable, locked framerate. Running version 1.01. I have a physical copy and the files are installed on a 64gb sandisk micro sd card.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not a single word about the PC version in the video.

I've had zero issues with it, no crashes, no bugs, no loading issues.
Did they not think it worth mentioning?
Dude. Give me a break. I already had six different console permutations to cover and I ended up working most of my weekend just to finish this. I simply didn't have the capacity to add the PC version even though I'd have liked to.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Playing on regular PS4 and I'm pissed they shipped and sold the game in this state with the crashes, the slowdown, the lag, all of it. I feel like a lot of reviewers maybe played on PS4 Pro and therefore got a bit of a better experience when most people are going to own a base PS4 system. The fight against Valefar turns the game into shit soup.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
It seems that late-game fight is just a tanker on performance. It was the only fight that I lost frames on PC. It never gets as bad as in the footage, but I could tell I lost a good bit from 60.

Also would report I never had the game crash in my 35 hours of playing. Apparently there is a bug that if Miriam has no face in the pause screen, that's a crash right away, but I never got it.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
About 140 ms input lag on Switch is really awful. It's borderline unplayable for that kind of games. How can people enjoy this ? I can't fathom it.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I really just cannot get into this art style. It just looks... off. Especially compared to SotN or even the original concept art for Bloodstained. Also, I feel like the Pro version should probably be able to handle 1440p without losing too much performance.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It would be cool to give the X1X performance (1080p) and non-HDR options in-game. I think that's reasonable.

This team had an immense challenge launching with six targets. Lots of other games got Switch ports later, X1X and Pro enhancements later, etc.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Dude. Give me a break. I already had six different console permutations to cover and I ended up working most of my weekend just to finish this. I simply didn't have the capacity to add the PC version even though I'd have liked to.
Sorry I didn't mean to be harsh. It just seemed odd as PC was clearly the main platform for this release.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Base PS4 version had a few bumps on the unpatched version of the game. I crashed in the same way twice in a row. Found a way around it, and I moved on. Aside from the glacial framerate of a certain endgame boss's attack, everything else was fine. I kinda felt like my jumps were off, but I also have poor reaction time nowadays.

I haven't heard anything about our physical switch version. It's uglier, but I guess that's a tradeoff for portability. It always is.

If the bugs are addressed, then this game would have no faults for me. Or maybe my standards are low. Who knows.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good to hear the Switch version getting the recognition it deserves.

The criticism of it has been way overblown.

If anything, and I'm sure that Dark1x will agree with this, any future installment in the series would be wise to take a cue from Capcom and treat Bloodstained 2 as a game built for Switch (or whatever Nintendo hardware it releases on) and gussy it up appropriately for the other platforms. Mega Man 11 is a hell of a multiplatform release for that reason, and that kind of treatment would be the best route to go in to avoid the kinds of issues they ran into with this game as a result of it being a late platform addition and having development shift internally on top of everything else.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

PS4 Pro version runs at 1080p. it's not just Switch version. This is AA release. They don't have the budget or resources for similar optimization (on any platform) as big games from big pubs. Gamers constantly cry about AAA budgets going overboard but then also cry about smaller games having tech related problems. Hint those are directly influenced by the resources and the budget most of the time.

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see you're enjoying the game, John! I was very curious to hear your thoughts on the game.

It would be a cool Retro episode to compare it to Iga's legacy in design and art direction, if you ever feel like it. :P

The comparison to the demo was really surprising. It was obvious it evolved quite a bit, but seeing them side by side, holy shit. Those backgrounds pop even more when you see them like that.

I think we're in the minority thinking the game is gorgeous, though. :P

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching this I don't get why everyone says that the Switch version is botched. Every other 30FPS port from XB1/PS4 was considered a miracle.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Watching this I don't get why everyone says that the Switch version is botched. Every other 30FPS port from XB1/PS4 was considered a miracle.
It's really more about the input latency than the 30fps. The Switch version feels terrible to play because of it.