• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
KoopaSwitch have you reported these issues to 505? They have tech support presence on the official Bloodstained discord, as well as their own discord and they're taking bug reports.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I'm using internal memory but that shouldn't matter. When did you install it? There is something weird going on.

Day of release via backer code. I've rebooted my switch a few times since, switched Joycons etc. I've played other games since (MM2, Kirby, Yoshi, Yooka) and have no issues.

If I delete and reinstall it should keep my save file right?

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Some folks have tested even higher than that! I just used a slow motion phone camera feed to test so it's not super accurate.

I expected you to go in a lot harder on the switch version. I realize you really like the game but it felt like you were going easy on the developer because of it. This game is not nearly as taxing as the other switch ports so comparing this to them was kinda jacked up IMO. The switch version looks horrible. Nothing about this game looks taxing or am I missing something here?

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I expected you to go in a lot harder on the switch version. I realize you really like the game but it felt like you were going easy on the developer because of it. This game is not nearly as taxing as the other switch ports so comparing this to them was kinda jacked up IMO. The switch version looks horrible.

Anyone who played that opening level on switch is looking at 3DS-like graphics. It's just flat out terrible.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I expected you to go in a lot harder on the switch version. I realize you really like the game but it felt like you were going easy on the developer because of it. This game is not nearly as taxing as the other switch ports so comparing this to them was kinda jacked up IMO. The switch version looks horrible. Nothing about this game looks taxing or am I missing something here?
It's more a reaction to the hyperbole. People painted a worse picture than I found. I fee it makes the same kind of sacrifices as most similar Switch ports. It's not like Ark or Saints 3.

The bugs and lag are the big issues but it feels salvageable. I feel like people continue to overestimate the Switch hardware. It's performing as expected when looking at all versions.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
It's more a reaction to the hyperbole. People painted a worse picture than I found. I fee it makes the same kind of sacrifices as most similar Switch ports. It's not like Ark or Saints 3.

The bugs and lag are the big issues but it feels salvageable. I feel like people continue to overestimate the Switch hardware. It's performing as expected when looking at all versions.
True but those sacrifices made sense because those games were actually taxing. This game doesn't seem to be at all.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Where is this spiral tower?

If they're talking about the part I think they are, there is a section of the twin dragon tower, where there are a lot of poison toads. The game on Switch crashes to a halt and has to come close to hitting single digit frames there. It's terrible. Other parts of that tower run fine, but that section with all the poison toads just C....R....A....W.....L........ ......... ....S.

I don't buy that! The hardware just isn't as capable as people seem to think and games like this, running on UE4, are more demanding than folks seem to believe.

Knowing how it runs on other consoles, the Switch is pretty much where I expected.

It was *NEVER* going to be 60fps - no chance. You see how it runs on PS4 and Xbox One. It was always going to be 30fps and it delivers that.

Most UE4 games on Switch, when docked, are lower than 720p so Bloodstained has that advantage. Resolution is higher than average for a UE4 Switch game.

The big issue with the visuals comes down to texture resolution being rather low. The input latency and loading issue is fixable.

30fps is understandable, but I don't understand why texture resolution is worse than something you would see on Xbox 360. The texture resolution really makes the game look like a vita upscale job (I know its not just using that as a reference point).

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
I think it absolutely is more demanding than people have suggested.

I see. We'll it would be interesting if you guys put a video dissecting why its taxing because I'm sure it looks like a higher res 360 game to most people. Maybe you could compare it to a game like Trine or something and show the differences. I dunno

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Quite baffling how badly optimized this game is (on consoles) for what it delivers, graphically speaking.

Sounds like they needed another small team for engine optimization.

Was any team involved good at using UE4? I know one team was hired to make assets, but that's different than performance.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I see. We'll it would be interesting if you guys put a video dissecting why its taxing because I'm sure it looks like a higher res 360 game to most people. Maybe you could compare it to a game like Trine or something and show the differences. I dunno
You can't judge demands based on what you think the visuals look like, though.

Is the game as well optimized as it could be? Perhaps not.

...but when you look at the performance on other platforms relative to Switch, it performs as expected.

Nobody actually expected 60fps, right? That's just not feasible in this case.

The bugs and lag are the real issue and I think those can be solved. The rest, though? It's about on par.

Consider this - Doom 2016 runs better on PS4 and Xbox One than Bloodstained. That's one of the most optimized games this gen. Bloodstained is a smaller budget project running on UE4.

Doom on PS4 runs better than Bloodstained on PS4
Doom on Switch runs worse than Bloodstained on Switch

I think the game looks beautiful, though. It's one of the better looking multiplatform UE4 games in a while.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The Poker Gambling Demon boss is a weird one.
When he does the move where he smashes the poker chips together its the one thing I noticed one PC that really drops frames.

Very bizarre.

Evilcrane

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Dark1x Superb analysis like always! The game is really slick on PC with with max settings and a high frame rate, but I'm still really eager to play the Switch version in comparison (waiting for my physical copy from Fangamer). I wonder how taxing the backgrounds are on a technical level, could they possibly simplify the background graphics and effects to boost the overall image quality on Switch?

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So UE4 is a peformance hog for consoles? Interesting I think i just heard the first real criticism for this engine.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
I think it absolutely is more demanding than people have suggested.
You can't judge demands based on what you think the visuals look like, though.

Is the game as well optimized as it could be? Perhaps not.

...but when you look at the performance on other platforms relative to Switch, it performs as expected.

Nobody actually expected 60fps, right? That's just not feasible in this case.

The bugs and lag are the real issue and I think those can be solved. The rest, though? It's about on par.

Consider this - Doom 2016 runs better on PS4 and Xbox One than Bloodstained. That's one of the most optimized games this gen. Bloodstained is a smaller budget project running on UE4.

Doom on PS4 runs better than Bloodstained on PS4
Doom on Switch runs worse than Bloodstained on Switch

I think the game looks beautiful, though. It's one of the better looking multiplatform UE4 games in a while.

Well yeah that's part of what I was saying also. It doesn't seem to run that well on anything besides X. Honestly looking at the game I would have expected 4k on both X and Pro. 1080p and 60fps on both xbox one and ps4 and 900p and 60fps on switch. I am really struggling to see what could be causing the systems to not hit these targets but like you said the game is probably poorly optimized. This is the last game I would have expected significant differences on switch.

Really? I think you just really really like Castlevania :)

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Outside of the character models, which aren't that impressive. I think the environments in the game are pretty top notch stuff. Coupled with the lightning and shadows, they nailed the gothic ambience. When you look at a couple of 4K max setting screenshots, I think the game is fairly impressive.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
So UE4 is a peformance hog for consoles? Interesting I think i just heard the first real criticism for this engine.
IMO - ue4 was authored around being 30 fps with it's performance target for this Gens consoles. If you read into the presentations for paragon and fortnite so that those games could achieve near 60 fps experiences there, 60 requires many sacrafices to IQ not found on PC and a General *making ststic* of dynamic rendering elements.
Ue4 overshot this generation of consoles at the beginning of this generation basically.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Outside of the character models, which aren't that impressive. I think the environments in the game are pretty top notch stuff. Coupled with the lightning and shadows, they nailed the gothic ambience when you look at a couple of 4K max setting screenshots.
Do you think those backgrounds are taxing though?

IMO - ue4 was authored around being 30 fps with it's performance target for this Gens consoles. If you read into the presentations for paragon and fortnite so that those games could achieve near 60 fps experiences there, 60 requires many sacrafices to IQ not found on PC and a General *making ststic* of dynamic rendering elements.
Ue4 overshot this generation of consoles at the beginning of this generation basically.
Didn't they do the same thing with UE3? Wasn't Mortal Kombat 9 like one of the only big unreal engine 3 titles that gen to be 60fps and it was heavily modified?

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Interesting. X does seem to struggle with alpha effects for some reason. A poster on here (can't remember their name) claims that it is because the X GPU is somewhat imbalanced as it only has half the ROPs of the PS4 Pro (32 vs 64) - hence poor performance in games like AC7 too. Is there any truth to that?
Well it's the second case, so could be. Andromeda is the user by the way.

With as much dynamic lighting as the game boasts throughout, it absolutely can be taxing in such a way. I was honestly shocked to see how much dynamic lighting there was in the caves for instance, since every candle casts their own light that interacts with Miriam and the environment. And that's not even getting into the areas with tons of moving parts in the background, like the Tower of Twin Dragons that's proven to be quite the popular stress test.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well yeah that's part of what I was saying also. It doesn't seem to run that well on anything besides X. Honestly looking at the game I would have expected 4k on both X and Pro. 1080p and 60fps on both xbox one and ps4 and 900p and 60fps on switch. I am really struggling to see what could be causing the systems to not hit these targets but like you said the game is probably poorly optimized. This is the last game I would have expected significant differences on switch.

900p60?!?!?

On Switch?

Even smaller scale games like Yoshi's Crafted World (which has way less going on but runs at 60) are way below 720p. 900p60 on Switch is impossible with UE4 with visuals like this.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
With as much dynamic lighting as the game boasts throughout, it absolutely can be taxing in such a way. I was honestly shocked to see how much dynamic lighting there was in the caves for instance, since every candle casts their own light that interacts with Miriam and the environment. And that's not even getting into the areas with tons of moving parts in the background, like the Tower of Twin Dragons that's proven to be quite the popular stress test.
But the switch version doesn't even have most of that so what is their excuse?

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, I was surprised at how much of the lighting is real-time and not prebaked. Candles and lamps cast light and shadows and the lighting in a room will change as you put them out. It sucks that the Switch port is in such bad shape and I wonder if a delay to optimize the game would have gone over better.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the switch version doesn't even have most of that so what is their excuse?
While the Switch version doesn't have Myriam's shadows casting on objects and realistic looking water, there are still many things going on. UE4 is just taxing on Switch HW overall, too.

I'm not saying it can't be better than what we got though, it definitely can be. Just don't expect much outside of framerate stability and input delay correction. Resolution and 30fps target will absolutely stay the same.

Oct 30, 2017

Didn't they do the same thing with UE3? Wasn't Mortal Kombat 9 like one of the only big unreal engine 3 titles that gen to be 60fps and it was heavily modified?

Interesting enough, that heavily modified higher specced version of UE3 they couped with the last generation let them use it forward to push the fantastic looking Injustice 2 and MK11. In comparison Tekken and Soul Calibur, which uses UE4 run sub 1080p on base PS4 and SF5 have awful load times and some really low-resolution textures. Considering the production values Injustice 2 and MK11 they probably played around with UE4 and found it wasn't worth it in the end.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
900p60?!?!?

On Switch?

Even smaller scale games like Yoshi's Crafted World (which has way less going on but runs at 60) are way below 720p. 900p60 on Switch is impossible with UE4 with visuals like this.

I bet if you did a poll asking gamers was res and fps they thought the switch version would be at last year the majority would have had figures close to that. And I don't care what native res Yoshi is at...it still looks better than this. Honestly the switch version doesn't appear any higher resolution than Yoshi on youtube at least. I was very surprised when you said the switch version was 720p because it certainly does not look like it.

I bet if you did a poll asking gamers was res and fps they thought the switch version would be at last year the majority would have had figures close to that. And I don't care what native res Yoshi is at...it still looks better than this. Honestly the switch version doesn't appear any higher resolution than Yoshi on youtube at least.
To be fair, there's probably a gulf in the amount of development funding and resources for Yoshi than probably all of Bloodstained's development across all platforms it has released on the size of an ocean. It's not a 1:1 situation even as, superficially, they're both 2.5D UE4 games.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
The graphics on all platforms are hurting my eyes.

*looks up steam price.

Yeah I'll wait till its half price.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, there's probably a gulf in the amount of development funding and resources for Yoshi than probably all of Bloodstained's development across all platforms it has released on the size of an ocean. It's not a 1:1 situation even as, superficially, they're both 2.5D UE4 games.
True but there are other indie 2.5 games on switch that don't look as bad as this

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
So happy that I cancelled the Switch pre-order and went PC a week before release. I love my Switch but I can't justify buying anything multiplatform on the little guy. It's always inferior.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I came out of that video being pretty impressed with the Switch version after what i'd been hearing. Hopefully the input lag can be improved, but other than that i'd be quite content with it.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I see. Well, i do agree with that its best that games are as bug free as possible on physical media of course, but yeah, i dont think its that big of a deal as he makes it out to be :P Patches will be easily available for years to come.

---

And just to add, for whats it worth, i've played the game for maybe 6-8 hours on a PS4 Pro, i havnt had any crashes yet. The only issue i have is that the minimap keep appearing on the screen after i die, which mean that i have to disable it every time i die. Not a huge issue though. After a while, i actually started prefering having the minimap on the screen.

Have you had any issues on PS4 pro? I'm maybe 6-8 hours into the game and havnt had any crashes yet. Only bug i've seen is a minimap bug. I've played on patch 1.03 since the start.

- Framerate issues in certain areas
- some long loads in between some areas
- missing textures on background items/scenery
- not picking up some drops

I got hit by the 1.01 to 1.02 chest bug and had to start over. The game just looks rough.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah this seems like another case of an UE4 game that runs massively better on PC for some reason. I'm running it at 3413x1920 (DSR) at 144 fps and the 1080 sleeps, so I'm surprised the X can't run it at stable 60.
PCs have a completely absurd amount of bandwidth compared to consoles. That's why people used to think AF was a free effect. Maybe that's it.

Nov 1, 2017
Finally!

I've been waiting, I began to give up hope. I almost considered the worse, that there wouldn't be a video but the Video Gods have smiled upon us. It's our reward for all the cat vids.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I wonder if it'd have been more difficult / expensive to go 2D (not pixel art, but something like Rayman or Monster Boy). If there's a series that can get away with it, that'd be not-Castlevania.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
900p60?!?!?

On Switch?

People inexplicably continue to have insane expectations of Switch hardware.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Possibly. I tried hard to replicate this bug as I had heard of it but I was not able to. Trust me, if I could have caused it, I'd be happy but it always runs fine.

I also got single digit framerate on the second large room in Twin Dragon Tower on Switch as well, for what it's worth.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
People inexplicably continue to have insane expectations of Switch hardware.

Like Witcher 3 coming to switch?
giphy.gif

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
The trade-off of convenience generic VS purpose-built :/ It's always been there...
Fast development start and early assets teams onboarding, multi-platform support + ability to adapt quickly to future hardware in case of delay or accelerated platform release (as if the consoles skipped the pro/X and went straight for a fall 2018 ps5/xbox two)... That was key to the success of the project.

A third party engine will offer these and powerful libraries (physics and the like), but i don't think you can expect from a generic solution the throughput of purpose-built code.
A bit like having things in compiled machine code VS things in a jvm... you cannot hope to see the same performance at equal output.

as for the switch, let's not forget that UE4 tools were quite lacking on switch. If i remember correctly, proper memory usage profiling tools on the platform came late last year... the maturity was not yet there in my opinion and had to address the issues with an axe instead of a scalpel since support was most likely not as mature as other targets. The porting studio had to keep in sync with the master platform when the master platform was evolving... it must have been tough.

It's good to have a round of the platforms, it's interesting.... i would have included the PC ;)