• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing:

Are we ever going to see the release of indie games timed with a Limited Run release?

I'm tired of waiting for months for an Indie game that I can immediately buy digital if I wanted to.

Hopefully this will never happen.

One of the major draws of these releases is that they will still work in 10/15 years time no matter what has happened to the download servers. So having the final patched version of the game is important. Especially in this instance if you went for the Switch version.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this will never happen.

One of the major draws of these releases is that they will still work in 10/15 years time no matter what has happened to the download servers. So having the final patched version of the game is important. Especially in this instance if you went for the Switch version.
But arent the vast majority of limited run games not the final patched versions?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
looks real good, when i first saw it, i though it's contra 3 alien wars remaster or something....

i hope somebody can use create a JRPG with this type of graphics...i want my JRPG in the 16bit/32bit style...

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Another thing:

Are we ever going to see the release of indie games timed with a Limited Run release?

I'm tired of waiting for months for an Indie game that I can immediately buy digital if I wanted to.

We've had this quite a few times already for some indie releases, and it always came across as shady. It's asking people to pre-order a more expensive release of a game they know nothing about, not even whether it's any good or not (since there are usually no reviews for these smaller games).

Unless you're just mindlessly collecting these limited releases for the hell of it, it's just a really frustrating situation all around.

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Bought this, was on my radar but this tipped me over. Little run on it and it feels awesome!

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Easily one of my fave games of 2019 for me, and it came out of nowhere! I already beaten it 4 times and will keep playing it!

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Check out iconoclast Hardcore Mode, No Death run through.

How did Konami not publish this as a Contra game? I know people are giving Rogue Corps shit - it seems to be inspired by Neo Contra and Contra Return, very not well known games compared to Alien Wars and Hard Corps - but this is something they should have released themselves years ago! It's like a Sonic Mania but for Contra fans.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
So many people saying it is really hard is what keeps me from buying it :|
This game is fucking legit. Brutally hard too.
On normal, besides a few sections and mini bosses it's not that bad, I use very little continues on that difficulty now(it has unlimited continues thankfully). Hardcore on the other hand is where the game actually gets tough with more enemies, more added during mini bosses and bosses attack faster too, and you have to do this with 3 continues which is insane!

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I was disappointed when I got this and found out the graphics are pixelated to hell just like a retro ROM or SNES mini/raspberry Pi, neo geo collection, etc.

I assumed it was more like I dunno, the strider game of a few years ago, where it looks up to modern standards just with old school graphics. Like a remake.

TBH also I'm just talking out my ass, but I fired up metal slug (x?) ACA Neo Geo for compare since I have gamepass, it seemed to have a lot more life and charm to the art, more color, if not actually superior graphics and that game is how old?

Last edited:

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I was disappointed when I got this and found out the graphics are pixelated to hell just like a retro ROM or SNES mini/raspberry Pi, neo geo collection, etc.

I assumed it was more like I dunno, the strider game of a few years ago, where it looks up to modern standards just with old school graphics. Like a remake.

How did you only notice that after buying it? Did you not, like, look at it at any point?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
TBH also I'm just talking out my ass, but I fired up metal slug (x?) ACA Neo Geo for compare since I have gamepass, it seemed to have a lot more life and charm to the art, more color, if not actually superior graphics and that game is how old?
What does age have to do with anything? They were aiming to deliver a specific style from that era.

Also, if we're going to be fair, Metal Slug runs at a low frame-rate (20-30fps). It does look great, though, no doubt.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
All the great games in this genre have memorable and inventive worlds and characters/setpieces but Blazing Chrome has neither--I don't think it's a bad game or a poorly-crafted one but everything's heavily derivative of cooler moments from other games and every stage is utterly drab in a way that these games never were.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Its no 'super probotector' but its still a damn good ride.
Thank god (or whatever) games like this are still being made.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
All the great games in this genre have memorable and inventive worlds and characters/setpieces but Blazing Chrome has neither--I don't think it's a bad game or a poorly-crafted one but everything's heavily derivative of cooler moments from other games and every stage is utterly drab in a way that these games never were.
I don't agree but to each his own.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys have any recommendations of similar games if I'm just getting into them? I fear the classics will be a bit too hardcore for me at the moment, since I really needed the checkpoints and infinite continues to beat this one, but I loved it.

Nov 1, 2017

There's the fact that Blazing Chrome was done by a small handful of people. Like, the art and design was done by 1 person.

The Metal Slug games had like, 10 programmers and a similar number of artists. It's amazing that a throwback game of this quality is getting made in 2019.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Do you guys have any recommendations of similar games if I'm just getting into them? I fear the classics will be a bit too hardcore for me at the moment, since I really needed the checkpoints and infinite continues to beat this one, but I loved it.

You might want to try Hard Corps Uprising. It allows you upgrade your character to be able to take multiple hits per life and start out with powered up weapons through upgrading. You can basically power level your way past the first 3-4 levels easily. But other than that, the others are pretty much "get good or start over" type games.

Oct 25, 2017
You might want to try Hard Corps Uprising. It allows you upgrade your character to be able to take multiple hits per life and start out with powered up weapons through upgrading. You can basically power level your way past the first 3-4 levels easily. But other than that, the others are pretty much "get good or start over" type games.
I actually own this one and played it back in the day, but never finished it. I guess I should go back to it. Thanks!

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I have this on Gamepass, and I kinda feel guilty for not buying it. It's a fun game and one I'll likely revisit, and I want to support the developers with a purchase. But I guess they are getting paid via Gamepass, right? And when it gets pulled from the service I'll buy on Steam so would that mean they'd get double paid?

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Lol, played during my whole yesterday untill my Switch ran out of battery.

This game made me realize two things:
1) I need the bes switch with improved battery
2) I suck at videogames (still didn't beat it)

The game is awesome, though. The best indie game so far this year.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

Seconding Hard Corps: Uprising as it is probably one of the easier Contra games to get into because the more you play, the more you can unlock stuff for the characters you play as, making the game easier. It also has a health bar that can be upgraded, complete with disabling it if you want that one-hit-and-your-dead kinda style these games are known for. The only other games with health bars are the Japanese version of Hard Corps (unless you're looking into ROM hacks) and Return but that is a gacha mobile game, so it's not carrying the Contra design of difficulty.

Oct 25, 2017
Seconding Hard Corps: Uprising as it is probably one of the easier Contra games to get into because the more you play, the more you can unlock stuff for the characters you play as, making the game easier. It also has a health bar that can be upgraded, complete with disabling it if you want that one-hit-and-your-dead kinda style these games are known for. The only other games with health bars are the Japanese version of Hard Corps (unless you're looking into ROM hacks) and Return but that is a gacha mobile game, so it's not carrying the Contra design of difficulty.
Nice, sounds great.

Really want to eventually play the classics, though, they look so cool.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks god for gamepass.

I was dead set on grabbing it on Switch but I'm glad I didn't.
CONTRA is one of my favorite series, as is everything run&gun/shmup.

I think the game only looks the part, on the whole it's a pale imitation which doesn't hold on its own. It pains me to day this because, like Battle Princess Madelyne did for G'nG (another fav of mind) before, I'm just glad games like this are being made but under the shiny first impression, I don't find the result very good and honestly a bit of a waste.

Minor gripe: those are some shitty filters.
At least give the option for just scanlines or at least a Flat CRT RGB (some of us were lucky enough to own Sony WEGA 4:3 34" CRT flatscreens).

I've only beat the first 4 missions on Normal but I think it's enough to form an opinion.
The level design, enemies placement and pace is just painfully mediocre and derivative. Just plain two-level platforms where only the bg is different: I mean, Alien Wars was a tour the force constantly one-upping itself throwing you on the craziest and most adrenaline fueled situations the devs could think of. There's none of that in the first 4 levels of B.C.
The weapons suck. I would still enjoy a derivative Contra clone with good pixel art any day of the week, and despite the (imo) bad weapons selection the gunplay is the best thing about the game (together with the gfx and nailing the Megadrive aesthetics) but I just don't find Blazing Chrome any fun to play imo. I just kept playing cause wanted to see what the next level would look but I definitely wasn't finding the gameplay interesting.
As a carbon-copy of Alien Wars it sure fails to deliver on copying the nuances of its gameplay: there's zero space for improvisation and you need to constantly use the lock (also fuck not allowing me to rebind the controls! Lock on RB is awful) if you want to stay alive and not credit feed.

Well, I wrote more than I wanted to, I think I gave a clear idea on how I feel towards B.C. but I'm glad most of you have been enjoying it! We definitely need more games like these and I applaud the devs choice to go for the 16bit aesthetics and pulling it off so well.... that's a lot of work and a lot of talent involved!

Apr 19, 2018
Has the Switch version ever been patched for its performance issues? I've been waiting to pick up the game since summer, so I'm hoping there's been some fixes implemented at this point.