• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
For years we've been waiting for a proper sequel to 16-bit classics Super Contra and Contra: The Hard Corps - but Konami failed to deliver. So why not check out the next best thing, Blazing Chrome by JoyMasher successfully captures everything that made the originals so great, and it's available on virtually all modern platforms. Join John Linneman for a detailed analysis on how this game was made - and why you should buy it.

Looks great, gonna pick it up.

Switch version got some framerate issues but fixes are coming.

Last edited:

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Played this week and I had a blast! I highly suggest you to start the game on easy mode tho. Oh, and it's free with Xbox Game Pass too.
(Will watch the DF video later)

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I'm honestly not a huge fan of Contra and Metal Slug, I prefer a bit more platforming and bit less shooting in my run and gun platformers, but this is just too good looking to pass :x It's pretty cheap on Steam too, but I think I'd enjoy it more on Switch...

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Played it through Gamepass on PC and I've beaten it twice. Once solo with the gun chick and a second time with the punching girl and ninja in local co-op. Game is absolutely a blast and what I needed to play.

Also Normal may be tough starting out but the game is pretty forgiving overall. Worth the challenge.

Oct 25, 2017
Great video, I always appreciate it when John gets to talk with the devs. The game itself is also fantastic, really recommend it to anyone interested because of the video. It's currently on Game Pass for both Xbox and PC.

I didn't plan on replaying it with the unlockable characters, but now that the video showed that an upcoming patch will allow me to disable the curvature, I already reinstalled it.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I'm glad others are enjoying it too! It's such a wonderful game!

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Can't believe I lived to see a brazillian gamr featured in a DF video. Awesome work John!

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the last level and while it's super challenging, it's so fair that I keep going back in for more.

Excellent work. I'm looking forwards to the pack.

And thanks for highlighting the devs, John.

JuiceMan_V

Banned
Apr 17, 2019
Another thing:

Are we ever going to see the release of indie games timed with a Limited Run release?

I'm tired of waiting for months for an Indie game that I can immediately buy digital if I wanted to.

Last edited:

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Watching this is kinda getting me interested in Contra again.

Are there any other Contra-like games in a similar vein that are noteworthy? Has it really just been this and Hard Corps Uprising (which is a Contra game!!) that we've seen this decade?

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
After seeing this video and finding out it's on game pass I downloaded it and finished it tonight (on easy)

The game is amazing! It feels like some lost gem from that era discovered in 2019 and I love it. Challenging but not cheap. Great variety, pacing, pixel art graphics, shooting, etc. on retires I'd find myself getting better each time. Also I liked the little strategy elements of pocketing the big guns if you felt at risk of dying to switch to it later for boss fights, etc

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Another thing:

Are we ever going to see the release of indie games timed with a Limited Run release?

I'm tired of waiting for months for an Indie game that I can immediately buy digital if I wanted to.

Why would you want a day-and-date physical release? Most games end up getting additional content patched in down the road and many also launch with major or minor issues that require patching, so they're better off waiting until the game has settled before committing to a physical version.

Apr 19, 2018
Great video, Dark1x. Was waiting to hear how the Switch version holds up, and it's good to hear a patch is on its way for the performance issues.

I'm dying to play it, but I'll likely wait until said patch hits before jumping into the game. John, would you be able to report back here when it does?

JuiceMan_V

Banned
Apr 17, 2019
Why would you want a day-and-date physical release? Most games end up getting additional content patched in down the road and many also launch with major or minor issues that require patching, so they're better off waiting until the game has settled before committing to a physical version.

That's literally most games we have today.

These Limited Run releases also cost more than the digital releases when you add in all the extra stuff you'll end up getting for free or paying for digitally.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they had prerendered all of the angles of each segment and made sprites from that versus doing any of the scaling and rotation in real time... Especially with the way they render at 240p and scale up. It makes those effects stand out pretty hard.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
They were saying it was more analogous to a Metal Slug game, which you're not going to know just from eyeballing footage.

Whoever said that is just trying to find things to pick out for the sake of debate (like the mech suit power up being analogous to a Tank or the up close melee attack). I played through this game the other day with a friend of mine who I grew up with playing all the Contras and Metal Slugs. Blazing Chrome is unabashedly a Contra clone knocking off Contra's weapons, bosses , enemies , and level designs but it's an incredible one at that. We both loved it for it.

Nov 23, 2017
I wish they had prerendered all of the angles of each segment and made sprites from that versus doing any of the scaling and rotation in real time... Especially with the way they render at 240p and scale up. It makes those effects stand out pretty hard.
That wouldn't have been authentic at all to what Sega or Konami would have done though. I love the scaling effects and level.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Switch having issues handling the bouncing of the bullet casings was the most bizarre thing. Same with the particle-based flamethrower.

I can only imagine that the game is extremely inefficient or poorly ported, because it's very good looking, but it certainly shouldn't push the hardware to its limits.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Switch having issues handling the bouncing of the bullet casings was the most bizarre thing. Same with the particle-based flamethrower.

I can only imagine that the game is extremely inefficient or poorly ported, because it's very good looking, but it certainly shouldn't push the hardware to its limits.
The developer explained that the Game Maker export process for Switch is still unoptimized - inferior to Xbox and PS4. Thus they're making game changes to get around it.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
That wouldn't have been authentic at all to what Sega or Konami would have done though. I love the scaling effects and level.
Real time rotation and scaling of sprites is already not authentic for 16 bit consoles. Prerendering and scaling down finished sprites would look more time accurate (you'd only use some of the frames) for the time period.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Real time rotation and scaling of sprites is already not authentic for 16 bit consoles. Prerendering and scaling down finished sprites would look more time accurate (you'd only use some of the frames) for the time period.
...but according to the developer, the idea was to target arcade hardware of the mid 90s and before.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I'm glad others are enjoying it too! It's such a wonderful game!
Great video, Contra games were so great back then. But I think you should start testing input lag in your retro videos. A low input lag is very important in this type of game and for me retrospectively a 40ms input lag was one of the main reason the action games felt so good to play back then.

Most developers nowadays just focus on the graphics and not the responsive controls even if we know 40ms on current consoles is possible because that's approximately the input lag of many current COD games.

Nov 23, 2017