• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Its funny because Sony gets a lot of hate for Cross-play stuff, but in a way they did "care" in making turning cross play off mandatory on all PS Consoles. Although it feels like Activision found a way around that in just not matching you into a lobby. I turned cross play off recently to play Solos (I literally never play Solos) and for literally 30 mins I couldn't find a match. It was the dumbest shit ever, there are "60M" Warzone players and you can't find me an all PS lobby? So stupid lol

This is really fucked up and not surprising in the least.

Hope they clamp down on this fuckery soon, forced crossplay is NOT acceptable.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people keep mentioning Cronus and XIM in here as if it's comparable? You can use KB/M in Warzone by default on any platform if you like, just like you can use controller on PC

Even just pure XIM gives K/BM + the aim assist you'd get from a controller.
BUT, Sony themselves sell an officially licensed adapter (TAC PRO), so that for sure is not considered a cheat.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
On console you get aim assist as well as M+K, let's not pretend a PS player with a xim is the same as a PC player with their M+K. It is VERY strong.

It's not easy to just put in a mouse and play like Shroud or whatever, but it *IS* very easy to hit crazy shots when the game is magnetizing your aim to people's heads when you only have to aim vaguely in the right spot.

EDIT: To be clear, aim assist with M+K is actually NOT all that different from a low sensitivity aimbot on PC, which is what most hackers would be using if they're using one (since you're presumably trying to dodge bans).

What you're saying is just not true. It's not nearly as strong as you're suggesting. In any case:

This is officially licensed by Sony. It's not a cheat.

Having said that, it is an advantage. But a SCUF controller is also an advantage. The NES Advantage joystick was... well that was shit, but you get my point.

Last edited:

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What you're saying is just not true. It's not nearly as strong as you're suggesting. In any case:

This is officially licensed by Sony. It's not a cheat.

Having said that, it is an advantage. But a SCUF controller is also an advantage. The NES Advantage joystick was... well that was shit, but you get my point.
It's a much bigger advantage than you're pretending, and there is a HUGE difference between a licensed mouse peripheral which is likely natively supported by the game rather than a mouse emulating an analog stick - usually when you use a mouse input the game doesn't allow aim assist, which was my entire point. It's huge.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
It's a much bigger advantage than you're pretending, and there is a HUGE difference between a licensed mouse peripheral which is likely natively supported by the game rather than a mouse emulating an analog stick - usually when you use a mouse input the game doesn't allow aim assist, which was my entire point. It's huge.

I mean no offense, but you're wrong.
This device is not "natively supported", it does the exact same thing as XIM and similar third party devices. It's just officially licensed, that's the only difference.

In my opinion, the focus should be on Cronus style devices which allow scripting, resulting in actual unfair advantages (machine inputs rather than human).

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Stopped playing months ago because of cheaters.

Never touching a PvP game with PC cross play ever again.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
The main reason I actually stopped playing warzone 4 months ago.
I even spent money on content before the hacking really blew up.
I would love cross play to be opt in or even like how apex does it.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Really stupid to not have the option to opt out or the game put you in smallest possible pool if you do opt out.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought crossplay was a toggle on COD. All crossplay content on every game should be opt in, specially in competitive games with PC.
that was only for the base game multi... i always turned it off... anyone thinking M&K is balanced with controller is fucking stupid... cross-play is good for just matching making speed... and nothing else... i stopped playing a long time ago.. but when a companyy just doesn't fucking care about hackers and cheaters ruining your BR.. and its just because it would cost them money... fuck that.... and them.

yeah... activision is trash.. I wish ppl would just skip this years casgrab COD and just not buy it... its being made by their C tier studio and SH has never made a good COD.

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
Why is the solution always to stop cross-play rather than to stop cheating? Why are PC players the problem rather than the actual cheaters and Activision's unwillingness to invest in effective anti-cheat?

I play on a controller, with probably lower or equal spec hardware to an Xbox One X and I've never cheated so I'm not sure what people like me ever did to anyone and why we should be excluded because of the actions of others. Honestly it's a little upsetting.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Why is the solution always to stop cross-play rather than to stop cheating? Why are PC players the problem rather than the actual cheaters and Activision's unwillingness to invest in effective anti-cheat?

I play on a controller, with probably lower or equal spec hardware to an Xbox One X and I've never cheated so I'm not sure what people like me ever did to anyone and why we should be excluded because of the actions of others. Honestly it's a little upsetting.
Because stopping cross play is easier for Activision to do apparently. They seem to have no interest in stopping cheating.

It's not your fault, it's Activision's, lol. And you would be fine. It's wildly popular, you'd still find games easily.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
It was lovely having our best Duo's match of the night and getting clapped by one guy who in the kill cam's was tracking us through the wall the entire time.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
anyone thinking M&K is balanced with controller is fucking stupid
In Warzone, it's pretty well-balanced. I will pick that game apart for its dozens of issues & flaws, but the balance between inputs is pretty solid.

Edit: Here's former pro Tyler Polchow using a controller, playing on PC, and being the damage leader & provider of 31 kills in a game where they get 121 total:

Last edited:

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
I 1v1'd a gamepad player on Blops 3 with m/kb awhile back and I did not do very well, considering the supposed advantage. And when we tried the same thing on a game without aim assist it was complete annihilation. The gamepad player did not even get a single kill. So I don't think the inherent advantages of the control method overcome the benefits of aim assist until you reach the upper echelon of PC players (basically eSports/streamer tier). But if people think I'm wrong and I'm just horrible with a mouse it's an easy experiment to replicate.

Future anti cheat has to be heuristics / AI based, because the client based solutions will no longer work. The cheats are too numerous and sophisticated. And this probably won't happen until cheating starts to affect console games.

You are correct, however the issue for gamepad v M+K is that the ceiling of being better is much higher on M+K. That is not to say that the two controller schemes cannot play against one another without any clear advantage.

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
Because stopping cross play is easier for Activision to do apparently. They seem to have no interest in stopping cheating.

It's not your fault, it's Activision's, lol. And you would be fine. It's wildly popular, you'd still find games easily.

Thanks DontHateTheBacon, it definitely doesn't feel that players are aiming their angst at the right folk (Activision and cheaters) then!

And with regards to being fine, alas I only play COD with some local friends, one of whom has an Xbox, two of whom have a Playstation, so removing [PC] cross-play would effectively stop me playing entirely.

Have fab day and thanks for the response.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really buy the amazing KB/M advantages for 99% of players. It only allows for the possibility of superior aim and movement. You still need a player good enough to access that. What I do buy is that PC is infested with cheaters and for that reason, I turn off crossplay. Bury those PC players in draconian anti-cheat possible and then they can come play. The problem is console really gains nothing from cross-play with PC. It has the massive userbase and a controlled environment. It's PC players that should be begging for it but they are ruining it and then they'll complain about matchmaking times.

Honestly PC cheating isn't the only issue atm,
The entire game is starting to fall apart at the seams .

Don't worry, they're adding sentry guns!

Ditters

Nov 2, 2017

It's not like cross play is something that has always been required. This is the first game that I have ever played where there is not an option to disable it. Of course it would be ideal if Activision would fix the cheating, but that is not the case as of now. All of the people I play with are fed up and disabling crossplay will immediately make the game a much better experience for xbox players.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not rampant at all.

A lot of gamers are quick to jump to accusations of cheating when anybody kills them.

For instance, Battlefield V on PC has mixed reviews, with most negative reviews being about rampant cheaters. I didn't encounter any cheaters while playing. In fact, I've got a friend who took it upon himself to test out a review that claimed the game had no form of anticheat by cheating himself, and he was banned the same day.

Meanwhile, in my first game of Battlefield 1 which has very positive reviews on Steam, I encountered a player who was invisible and one-tapping everybody from across the map. He was literally admitting to cheating in chat and went 80-0 or something dumb.
Are you really going to use BFV as an exemple of people complaining about cheating without merit?

For real? What a joke.

Ditters

Nov 2, 2017
Are you really going to use BFV as an exemple of people complaining about cheating without merit?

For real? What a joke.
I can not believe some of the responses on here. Do we need to post more examples. Those that are saying that it is not a pc specic issue, or comparing m and k to controller, or saying it is just people blaming cheating for dying are missing the point.

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
It's not like cross play is something that has always been required. This is the first game that I have ever played where there is not an option to disable it. Of course it would be ideal if Activision would fix the cheating, but that is not the case as of now. All of the people I play with are fed up and disabling crossplay will immediately make the game a much better experience for xbox players.

I think this is a very reasonable request Ditters and I will happily get behind a toggle for Xbox players. I would however much rather it is ultimately solved for everyone by removing cheaters more effectively if I am totally honest. The goal of cross-play should, in my eyes, be to enable people to play together regardless of platform and I see that as a very valuable and virtuous aspiration in this current world for a whole bunch of social, economic and inclusivity reasons.

I also think it is worth noting that you only have to look one post above your post for an example of what is the far more usual tone of posts in these threads where platform benefits are for some reason more important than the benefits offered to actual real individuals.

Anyway, have a great afternoon and thanks for the response.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Jesus some gamers in here treating PC gamers like second-class citizens. All gamers deserve rights, and especially the right to a fun, hacker-free, battle royale.
Here's all Console players want.

Temporary Fix.... Cut off PC players and have console only crossplay.
Long term fix..... Cut out the cheaters completely and go back to the normal crossplay.

Here's all Console players want.

Temporary Fix.... Cut off PC players and have console only crossplay.
Long term fix..... Cut out the cheaters completely and go back to the normal crossplay.

It is pretty shitty that Activision gives the illusion you can turn cross-play off (might only be a PlayStation thing) but once you do that it literally takes you at least 20 minutes to be put into a game. All in all though the real problem is that Activision has just let their fucking game be taken over with hackers for a year and a half now. Absolutely bonkers that we still have to suffer with nonstop cheaters.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Cronus's have been on back order for months now. Go look it up yourself. They've been heavily used since the late 360 days. Don't be so precious about your "pure" console playspace, because it hasn't been that way for a long time, and its much more easy to just install a script to the thing, plug it in and begin playing. On PC you have to worry about malware and all the rest of it.

I don't even play games on console lol.
Cronus applications as a 'cheat' device aren't even remotely comparable to what the average PC cheater can do. You can't do aimbot or wallhacks with a cronus. It's more widespread practical use is for using different controllers like scuff or xbox controllers on ps5, or vice versa. That's why it's popular.

The fake hysteria over it is hilarious and it only ever comes up when we try to talk about the cheating problem on PC, as a way to derail and disrupt the conversation, by weird dudes that feel threatened somehow by the very discussion of cheating on PC. 'bbbbbut console players can cheat too, they just have buy a prohibitively expensive peripheral to do it!!!111'

The idea that cheating on console is even a fraction of the problem that cheating on PC is just laughably, demonstrably false. Truly, clown shit.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Given what we know about COD PC player numbers while the game was still on Steam (and I doubt the move off of Steam has helped with the visibility/player numbers for the game on PC) I doubt the PC has the player base to support constant full Warzone matches, which is probably why they push crossplay so much.

An unfortunate truth. Every COD I've played on PC has had the playerbase drop off drastically after a month. Still, it's probably more popular than previous COD's, considering that

A: it's free

B: it's a battle royale

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Most cheating claims in FPS games are people comming to reddit or twitter and complain about getting killed in a way they cant explain. most of the time its a simple explanation though.
the opponent knows the game better and is general is better at the game.
but people nowadays barely except better players and rather call them cheaters. (especially with crossplay where console players have PC pros that flick shot them due to a more precise input method)
with so many people claiming that they have been killed by hackers (in many FPSs and not just Warzone) on reddit and so on without any evidence or a video that barely shows anything, you get the general impression that its flooded with hackers while cheaters actually are just half as big of a problem as people make it out to be.
In Warzone in a few hundred hours of playtime I met maybe 2-3 hackers which werent 100% proofable though.
In PUBG back then I met 1-2 obvious hackers (that killed the whole lobby from the pther wnd of the map) in 600 hours.
In EFT in 300 hours I have yet to meet a obvious hacker.

Obviously they are there and more prominent on PC and thus via crossplay reach also consoles.
But hackers are nowhere near as big of a problem as reddit and others make it out to be.

Cheating is a actually huge problem and a big business.

Oct 27, 2017
The big thing that everyone is missing here is the top players overwhelmingly play on PC. Activision is never going to cut off cross play for this reason. It would push the top players/streamers away from the game and also cause tournament matchmaking to be slow.

Instead of whining about PC players you'd all be better served begging Activision to do the bare minimum of implementing an anti-cheat.

Ditters

Nov 2, 2017
I think this is a very reasonable request Ditters I would however much rather it is ultimately solved for everyone by removing cheaters more effectively if I am totally honest. The goal of cross-play should, in my eyes, be to enable people to play together regardless of platform and I see that as a very valuable and virtuous aspiration in this current world for a whole bunch of social, economic and inclusivity reasons.
I agree. I play with pc players. That would be ideal, but it's not reality atm

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
An unfortunate truth. Every COD I've played on PC has had the playerbase drop off drastically after a month. Still, it's probably more popular than previous COD's, considering that

A: it's free

B: it's a battle royale
Old COD games playerbases lasted for a very long time / some still have active player bases (vCod, CoD2, CoD4) - it really died when Activision decided people couldn't host their own servers anymore and dedicated matchmaking was the only way.

Gho5tstar

Jan 16, 2021
VA
Lol its crazy when you see the hackers/cheaters showing off in the pre lobby countdown snapping to people floating in..only to leave the lobby and be in another lobby with another player doing the samething..my squad just laugh now because its so sad

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Old COD games playerbases lasted for a very long time / some still have active player bases (vCod, CoD2, CoD4) - it really died when Activision decided people couldn't host their own servers anymore and dedicated matchmaking was the only way.

Server hosting and moderation was one of the most effective ways to reduce cheating, as playing on managed servers build contacts, trust and social norms in time. And getting banned from one had an effect, as you lost those contacts as well as ability to play on most suitable servers (game type, maps, population and lowest ping).

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
In Warzone, it's pretty well-balanced. I will pick that game apart for its dozens of issues & flaws, but the balance between inputs is pretty solid.

Edit: Here's former pro Tyler Polchow using a controller, playing on PC, and being the damage leader & provider of 31 kills in a game where they get 121 total:

This is a perfect video of what is wrong with this game, even when cheats aren't in play.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Server hosting and moderation was one of the most effective ways to reduce cheating, as playing on managed servers build contacts, trust and social norms in time. And getting banned from one had an effect, as you lost those contacts as well as ability to play on most suitable servers (game type, maps, population and lowest ping).
Yep, active moderation is pretty much a must for PC games to reduce cheating unless your anticheat is *really* good (Valorant) - but even then I do wonder how long they can stay ahead.

Call of Duty games even had an active anticheat for those games (Punkbuster), it's amazing they've found a way to regress in every way over time.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't even play games on console lol.
Cronus applications as a 'cheat' device aren't even remotely comparable to what the average PC cheater can do. You can't do aimbot or wallhacks with a cronus. It's more widespread practical use is for using different controllers like scuff or xbox controllers on ps5, or vice versa. That's why it's popular.

The fake hysteria over it is hilarious and it only ever comes up when we try to talk about the cheating problem on PC, as a way to derail and disrupt the conversation, by weird dudes that feel threatened somehow by the very discussion of cheating on PC. 'bbbbbut console players can cheat too, they just have buy a prohibitively expensive peripheral to do it!!!111'

The idea that cheating on console is even a fraction of the problem that cheating on PC is just laughably, demonstrably false. Truly, clown shit.

Now you're shifting the goalposts from "cheating isnt a problem on console" to "cheating exists but its so much less of a problem", when it doesn't matter because CHEATING STILL EXISTS. You've still got people running about with laser aim and all sorts of other input macros that will mince you to pieces. You really trying to say you could outshoot someone with perfect aim, if you catch each other one on one? How about when you can't even see them across the entire map but they've managed to spot you and land a headshot at an unbelievable distance, all via aim assists? Get serious.

Also Cronus Zen's aren't "prohibitively expensive". They're £70. Most cheat suites for games will cost that PER MONTH. Get your head out of your ass and breathe some reality.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling
Now you're shifting the goalposts from "cheating isnt a problem on console" to "cheating exists but its so much less of a problem", when it doesn't matter because CHEATING STILL EXISTS. You've still got people running about with laser aim and all sorts of other input macros that will mince you to pieces. You really trying to say you could outshoot someone with perfect aim, if you catch each other one on one? How about when you can't even see them across the entire map but they've managed to spot you and land a headshot at an unbelievable distance, all via aim assists? Get serious.

Also Cronus Zen's aren't "prohibitively expensive". They're £70. Most cheat suites for games will cost that PER MONTH. Get your head out of your ass and breathe some reality.
I ain't reading all that

I'm happy for you tho

Or sorry that happened

Wow, this is what I caught a ban for?

Hmmm

Last edited: