• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
This is a treasure thread, you can't convince me otherwise. When it comes to Treasure they have a lot of great games. Like a lot. Like at least 3.

Mischief Makers? Check, they made that game.
Ikaruga? Also check, they also made that game.

But the one game by them they're perhaps most acclaimed for is Gunstar Heroes. and yes, check, they made that too.

So why is it that I alone am left to champion their true masterpiece and best game in their library?

That's right I'm talking about McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure.

McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure (or McDonald's TreasureLand Adventure depending on whether or not you're using the spelling of the title from the box art or game start screen and which region it's from), was a game made by Treasure. It came out for the Sega Genesis (or the Sega Megadrive if you were in a region with the sega megadrive). It was released in 1993, which means it's probably old enough to be some people on this forums' parents.

I'm here to tell you why you owe it to yourself to play this masterpiece.

1) The graphics.

The graphics in this game look great. They're colorful, full of life, and variety. The game itself is a joy and brings a smile to literally everyone who plays its' face.

Example 1: Ronald McDonald
97179d82a92537c1f8aeb48f95745800.gif

Look at this walk. It's so jolly. If he were wearing red you might think this is Santa Nicholas himself. But no, it's Ronald coming to hang out and bring a smile to your face.

Example the Second: Level 1
28277_e3b9ed3866a484b1e37ff4ccad98ac9befee58ce.png

This is the first part of the first level of the game. The game has more than 1 levels. It's good. And it's fun. Look at the unique rock formations, the colors on them. The purple for depth, the easy to decipher green for knowing what you can stand on. It's great and well designed.

Example 3: Level 2
images

This is from the SECOND level. It's a train. An ANGRY Train. And it is bright read and has cool snow effects. It's great and happy.

2) The Character designs

The character designs in this are also great and diverse. The OCs (mostly bosses) are all varied and pretty fun overall, bringing a unique look and feel to the enemies that's also playful. I'm not going to post them all, but just look at these:

images

hqdefault.jpg

treasureroundup01.jpg

(Ok that last one isn't a boss)

3) The Music.

Listen to it. It's quite literally THE GREATEST SOUNDTRACK OF THE ERA.

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
Sorry OP, but gunstar hero's is a better game. Even light crusader is better then this.

Just to be clear, I have played this game a few times and do like it, but it just feels so clunky to me.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
You start, OP
Gunstar Heroes is still their best game. Dynamite Headdy is pretty good too. I could list like ten other treasure games before yours, actually, and i don't even know 10 games done by Treasure!

OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
You start, OP
Gunstar Heroes is still their best game. Dynamite Headdy is pretty good too. I could list like ten other treasure games before yours, actually, and i don't even know 10 games done by Treasure!
Then you can't actually.

Gunstar Heroes is good, but it doesn't bring the same sense of cheer or smile to my life that McDonald's does. I'll admit Gunstar is more technically complex, and mechanically difficult. But it's not as merry-making. Bloodborne is more complex than any of the Mario Games are, but I'd much MUCH rather play any of them than Bloodborne because the emotional response to them is pure Joy, while Bloodborne is more frustration and tension.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Well you've convinced me OP

Let's celebrate with a couple 10 piece McNuggets

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Then you can't actually.

damn i guess you got me

gonna have to fight for your cause now

3 great games? Hell naw, Treasure is a quality game beast.

- Gunstar Heroes
- McDonald's Treasureland
- Alien Soldier
- Dynamie Heady
- Yu Yu Hakusho
- Guardian Heroes
- Radiant Silvergun
- Sin and Punishment
- Sin and Punishment Star Successor
- Bangai-O
- Ikaruga

I'm sure I'm missing others.

one, two, three, four.... lots. more than ten! sorry OP i'm switching sides again now i know 10 treasure games, i was right all along

OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
i did not expect to read a thread about McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure.

I definitely did not expect to read a thread about McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure framed around trying to troll Treasure fans.

I am 100% on board.
This isn't trying to troll anyone. I legitimately get more joy out of playing this game than the rest of their catalog (and I honestly really do like a lot of other titles they've put out. Like Bangai-O, Mischief Makers, and Gunstar Heroes). I just think from a the perspective of "What do I look for in a game and want out of the experience" McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure is their magnum opus.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
3 great games? Hell naw, Treasure is a quality game beast.

- Gunstar Heroes
- McDonald's Treasureland
- Alien Soldier
- Dynamie Heady
- Yu Yu Hakusho
- Guardian Heroes
- Radiant Silvergun
- Sin and Punishment
- Sin and Punishment Star Successor
- Bangai-O
- Ikaruga

I'm sure I'm missing others.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
real Sega fans know. anybody who reps Genesis and Mega Drive content has a soft spot for this game.

I think it's fine to put MDTLA in a different column in terms of value compared to Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, and so on. like, I don't necessarily think it's "better." but it IS a surprisingly great game, certainly better than any of the Mickey/Donald MD games in terms of that kind of quirky, family-friendly platforming.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
real Sega fans know. anybody who reps Genesis and Mega Drive content has a soft spot for this game.

I think it's fine to put MDTLA in a different column in terms of value compared to Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, and so on. like, I don't necessarily think it's "better." but it IS a surprisingly great game, certainly better than any of the Mickey/Donald MD games in terms of that kind of quirky, family-friendly platforming.

Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion was an excellent game for its time, so if Mcdonald's Treasureland is better, that's no small compliment.

I've only dabbled with the game, but I certainly came away thinking it was classic Treasure, and both awesome and bizarre that the game was made. I should play more of it.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I have always maintained that pure platforming Treasure has been better than their shooty bang-bang stuff (Gunstar Heroes + Actual shooters).

WarioWorld is a forgotten gem. đź’Ž

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
The fact that Sin & Punishment: Star Successor was sold at clearance for all of $6 and people still didn't buy it is one of the saddest things in gaming history. One of the best games of that entire generation, just a 100% bomb commercially.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like this happens to a lot of indie developers.

Their games get better, but they're not as known as their breakthrough hits.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
Hold on, I'm gonna let ya finish but I just wanted to say that dynamite headdy was best treasure game on mega drive of all time... Of all time!

OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
but NES MC Kids is better?

Nah, MC Kids is good, and I applaud the novelty of a puzzle platformer, especially in that era, but I don't think it's mechanically as strong these days, and some of the later portion of the game requires so much backtracking it's hard to recommend a complete playthrough for me personally.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The fact that Sin & Punishment: Star Successor was sold at clearance for all of $6 and people still didn't buy it is one of the saddest things in gaming history. One of the best games of that entire generation, just a 100% bomb commercially.
I bought it. And loved it.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
The lack of any mention of Silhouette Mirage in this thread is insane. That game, while having a high learning curve, is AMAZING. Play it on the Saturn, not the PS1 port, if possible. Love this game.

Also, the Mega Drive Yu Yu Hakusho brawler!

Last edited:

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
You know, I've never played it. I love Treasure's games though, so should check it out, thanks for reminding me of it, OP.

If anything, it signalled the death of games of that ilk (rail shooters). Would be the final rail shooter released for home console with that kind of backing behind it. Tragedy for me, one of my favourite genres honestly (Panzer Dragoon/Space Harrier/Sin & Punishment/Afterburner/Star Fox 64 etc).

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I love the Souls games, but they're not From Software's best games. That title belongs to the Armored Core series.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
It was one of those rare licensed games that turned out really good. Then again, what a McDonalds game should be is pretty nebulous so I guess they had a lot of creative freedom.

Treasure were a quality game making machine back then. thing they produced was epic in terms of gameplay, visuals, art and sound.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Treasure's roots were that they didn't want to be stuck making licensed games at Konami, right? (If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me here) In that light, it's a little sad they had to make a licensed game to keep the lights on but it's surprisingly not bad. Soundtrack slaps for sure. But for a Treasure game it's pretty close to the bottom of their library. Less a knock against the game, as it's a solid platformer, and more just the rest of Treasure's output is just that good.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I mean, Gunstar Heroes is the better "game", but I agree with OP that Treasure Land Adventures is the BETTER GAME. It's just a joy to play and its visual style is so charming, it's like someone bottled up everything wonderful from the early '90s and poured it all over my CRT.

... but actually Guardian Heros is the best better game.