• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Robert is talking out of his ass. The difference this current gen has not been that big in comparison to next gen. You are talking about 4TF vs 12TF and a significant change in RAM speed.

This aint no PS4 vs PS4 Pro difference we are talking about.

Unless you are a developer like him, I will take his word over yours. The X1 to X1X was a 4.3x difference in raw graphical performance (not even bringing into account different GPU rendering technologies, a 5.3x RAM speed deficit and faster CPU) and basically ran games mostly the same apart from resolution and texture quality

The XSS and XSX have the same CPU with similar speeds (much closer than X1S and X1X, also both close to PS5), only a 3x GPU performance deficit with all of the same GPU technologies supported, only a 2.5x deficit in RAM speed (for a GPU supposedly targeting a resolution 2.25x lower than the XSX) and existing games are already seen to be working well on both systems.

PC hardware scales between resolutions in very similar manners. The games will run perfectly fine on XSS at a resolution between 1080p and 1440p at the same frame rate as XSX running the game at 4k. Some settings might be different, but the games will be fine

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
from the tweets on the OP the EA person seems the more realistic and less emotional about it,

they are used to different specs, and specially if they have a PC versions of their games...

people have made multiplatforms even for the switch this gen...

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
If that happens I genuinely wonder if some games that may have been developed with the Xbox in mind suddenly skip it and they just release on PS5 + PC.

This makes zero sense when virtually every single PC game released has at the very least several graphical settings, if not an expansive suite of options to suit different hardware configurations.

Console developers are already working to get games working on four different devices/configs (five if you include the Switch, six if you include its two modes...).

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Id Software:

Remedy:
unknown.png

IdSoftware:
EhlC11rWsAEZELo.jpeg

Remedy:
unknown.png

discless was a huge problem for me already, i aint buying this thing

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Most people stayed with their base consoles, and are not "concerned" about Series S.

Well you don't know about the concerned part. My sales point was based on the sales info we've seen.
Nothing wrong if it was pointed out to people that this console might not be an entire gen kinda of a deal that will carry them through 7 years like base Xone or PS4.
Most people dont post on enthusiast gaming sites. So I'm willing to bet that most people here who are concerned about 3-4 years from now didnt stick with base consoles this past gen.
Also anecdotal. The many threads, polls, era discords I've seen in this "enthusiast" forum have people still using base consoles. Matter of fact that the base consoles covered majority of people for 7 years.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
6 GB of ram seems to be negligible enough of a price barrier to MS so I'm not sure why they created such a sizable headache with the reduction.

The smallest component changes can add up, when you look at the big picture.

PS3 losing 2x USB ports, a PS2 chip, and a card reader played a key role in getting that console down from $599 to $299.

Joo

May 25, 2018
I don't think this any more than Doom/Doom Eternal being on Switch necessarily affected how the PS/Xbox versions were designed and developed. Developers could target the better hardware (be it PS5, Series X, PC) and scale down/cut corners to get other versions to an acceptable state. The weakest platform doesn't automatically become the baseline. But this added complexity is probably reflected in some of the reactions from devs seen here.
Yeah, well with a very limited knowledge and guesswork, I'm of course not saying that it'll be a big impact. Only that the impact, small or big, will be the biggest with third-party games.

While first-party might make bigger changes to the game between different models, third-party developers will probably not have the budget or willingness to optimise the games in the same way, as we basically know from this gen. Only thing that's certain is that more consoles with different specs mean longer development time, which will vary of course depending on how much you optimise.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most titles are multi-platform with PC being one of the targets. If you are supporting PC, you are already having to account for hardware deltas like that between the X and S. Seems like a robust offering for consumers, and a small amount of additional work for teams to support when developing for Xbox/PC.

appreciate the color. I assume your comments will be overlooked by everyone as they aren't on Twitter

blodtann

Jun 7, 2018
This is nothing new. Having to support multiple hardware configs are as old as PC gaming. Now you even have better tools to help you do so. The amount of whining is unbelievable.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So people wanted a 1080p option, we get one that can do better but might be downgraded to 1080p once games get more demanding and now that's a worry? I'm not seeing the issue here. I think the Series S is a great idea. Besides we have the views of a few dealers. What if we have 100 more say the S won't be an issue at all? Are we not to believe them? Can we let the system release first and see how it affects the market first?
Agreed. The fact it may mean 1080/60 (perhaps reconstructed?) isnt a surprise to anyone buying it, that's the purpose it serves.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
This is a really good point (long thread of tweets).

"That 1080p60 ain't happening without ALSO cutting image quality."

I'm saying this for days now and it feels so f'n good to be right about stuff like this, again.
I mean, come on, it was really just common sense to immediately see that.

I can't believe peopel really thought the only change will just be the resolution between these two consoles, that's unbelievable to me.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
User Banned (1 Week) Console Warring, Recent Ban for Similar Behavior
People believe in what they want and when it comes to consoles we have brand loyalty so they will bite any PR spin this companies throw off because reasons.
Remember the cross gen conversation ? Then Halo Infinite happened and everyone came to their senses.
In a few years they will realize the same about XSS.
Luck for those that doesn't have to support it.
And let's hope that when it comes to 3P the XSS receive the same treatment as the Switch.

Jul 10, 2020
I wonder how much of this is that just having dev kits with tools and documentation in some of these developers hands.

I'm we are running the gambit from Call of Duty Directors saying "Not A Problem" to Remedy saying "Yes but actually no" to a Rick and Morty dev going on a full blown rant ending with "What the fuck does it matter?"

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Probably pretty good I'd think.

I'd almost expect that more than a Series X 2.
Hold on a minute... So what do you suggest they do with the X? It gets replaced by the S2 and is discontinued? No need to have an X if the S2 exists at $299... This seems highly unlikely.
A low-mid-high (S-X-X2) is the more likely alternative. I'd argue MS doesn't need an X2 though, but we'll see.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I'm not a dev, I'm old though and the idea of a second tier console launching at the same time as your actual console is baffling to me, especially people who don't think this will impact game design going forward. Like, the price point is incredible and what you get for it is incredible, but what a weird thing.
From their Series S introduction video, they really hope/believe every game can scale down easily from XSX to XSS. I'm not a dev also, but I think this is very naïve.

Plum

May 31, 2018
But that would mean people should get an XSX as a base. This is pretty much an extension of a mid gen refresh.

There's no reason to assume that there will be a mid-gen refresh this time, though. Unlike with the current-gen there isn't a big new TV technology coming up that could justify an entirely new SKU built to take advantage of it (this gen it was 4K). So, when you consider that most people are still buying the base consoles now anyway, the economic justification for doing a mid-gen refresh is simply not going to be there in as significant a manner as it was back in 2016/17.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Y'all talking about how it will do in games three years from now when in 3 years we know there will be a ps5 pro and series x2 because it'll be time for new machines, we really gotta get over the whole generations thing, ask 2080ti owners how they feel right now about what's coming out only 2 years after.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
and what does De-scope mean? Is it not lowering the scope of the game so as to fit the technical limits of the lower target platform?
No, it's generally having more flexible code instead of optimizing closer to the metal

A part of it is just better engineering, another part is additional cost in resources, and the last is tradeoffs regarding making quirky optimizations unviable

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I didn't expect devs to be this openly negative already. But it makes sense for devs hoping to push the new systems.
I'm still half tempted to get a Series S alongside a PS5 but I might wait a few months to see how it pans out.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I just don't understand how this is any different than what developers have had to do since the beginning of time, whether it's developing across multiple platforms or developing on PC specifically and having to account for the endless variance of specs. Like I still have a computer from 2014 with a Nvidia 970 GTX, and I'm still able to play games from 2019/2020 at at least 1080P with Medium to High settings and a decent FPS. It's starting to show its age now after 6 years, but console cycles are about 6-7 years anyways max.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is my fear....and the reason why if I get an Xbox, it will be the Series X.

Yeah. If you can sell your Xbox One X now and pocket the money to buy a Series S short term then that's no big deal, especially if it's not going to be your main platform.

But if you're going Xbox this gen then Series X really is the best choice.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was disappointed with the memory specs. Really nice looking machine though. For another $200 I'd rather look at the XSX or dare I say ~$150 more a PS5.

Lower res is fine for a lot of people but after how weak XBO and PS4 came out with their 7790, 7850-70 GPU and esram I'd rather it was PS5 XSX let's fucking go if devs have more than res to juggle with.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
There's no reason to assume that there will be a mid-gen refresh this time, though.
If they can sell two different SKUs at launch, theere's no way they won't sell you a new SKU in 3 years time. I expect Nintendo to have a Switch Pro next year and Sony and Microsoft to have new variants in a few years.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
I don't think the s was necessary. They could have got the budget folk via financing, for example offered a 3yr lead deal instead of 2.
The series x could have dragged the baseline forward, instead the s will pin it back.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This naming scheme has me confused AF.

One X, Series X, Series S.

Talk about a console identity crisis.

Oct 28, 2017
I remember this "Osiris" insider saying earlier this year that devs hated having to develop for the "little brother". Guess maybe some of that is true? Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.